Seeking a reliable or dependable app as a anti-virus for a Z30. I've reviewed several blogs stating a AV app is not needed, but I would feel a lot more comfortable with a reliable AV before loading any APK files to my new OS... Any feedback would be greatly appreciated fellow CB fanatics..
    02-23-14 08:43 PM
    I'm one of those ones who believes it's not necessary, however I trust this guy's programs....

Secure AntiVirus Pro - BlackBerry World
    gurasanders likes this.
    02-23-14 08:53 PM
    Thank you for the updated information.. Further info. needed... With the notion of the prescribed AV app. After a scan is completed are you able to delete quarantined info.???
    cantina4me likes this.
    02-23-14 09:13 PM
    How about if I get the developer to come an answer for you?
    02-23-14 09:26 PM
    Thank you for the updated information.. Further info. needed... With the notion of the prescribed AV app. After a scan is completed are you able to delete quarantined info.???
    Pk, thank you for the heads up . And absolutely, AV is important in PCs and Android. I don't recommend getting one for blackberry - but of you do, there are really only 2 options. Mine and Max Mobile Secure.

If the scan finds a dangerous program. Let's say your browser downloaded an executable that doesn't harm a blackberry. But the exe is a risk to Windows, so during a scan the AV will assess the risk and warn you. It will pop up and say "Virus Found xyz" and asks what you want to do.

Your options are:
    - More Info (brings up what the virus is, how it works, and what kind of threat it is).
    - Quarantine (tries to lock the file in the vault).
    - Ignore (leaves the file as is).

Now, once quarantined - if you delete the app and reinstall - all quarantined files are deleted forever and the app is back to square one.

If you want to leave the file in quarantine but forget it ever found the virus - on the Info page there is a hidden function. Swipe down 3 times quickly and the app will "forget" everything you have done up-to-today.

Whew, lot of typing . Most people just leave the virus in the vault. This way, you can restore the file later if you decide you want to dissect it.

Now, with Max Mobile it's a bit more basic. It will tell you that you have a virus, but it makes no attempts to clean it. But I believe they have a bigger virus database than mine does.

Edit: few notes to help

Posted via CB from my LE
    02-23-14 09:34 PM
    I was told that anti-virus is not necessary for a BlackBerry and that it may even cause damage by potentially corrupting files, or whatever. I'm no expert, just passing on what I was told.

Posted via CB10
    gurasanders likes this.
    02-23-14 10:40 PM
    I was told that anti-virus is not necessary for a BlackBerry and that it may even cause damage by potentially corrupting files, or whatever. I'm no expert, just passing on what I was told.

Posted via CB10
    Yep that's what the OP said above

Corruption is very rare and unlikely - but yes an AV is not a must. There are really only a handful of reasons someone would need an AV:

- They use a work phone where the security requirements from the office requires an AV
    - The user downloads files on your BB10 devices and accessed those files from a PC over USB / wifi
    - Users install a lot of Android APKs from anywhere (Snap included)
    -Users use their Bb10 devices as a USB storage device
    - Some people just want the extra security

It certainly isn't needed, but there is a small group of folks who require it. And in that case, they just need to make sure they use an AV from a reliable source. There are some scam apps in bbry world right now that pretend to be a free AV to try to get you to unlock the pro to remove nonexistent viruses. And the android 'free' AV scanners can only scan a very small sandboxed part of the android environment.

Ed

Posted via CB from my LE
    Talon151 and gurasanders like this.
    02-23-14 11:07 PM
    Yep that's what the OP said above

Corruption is very rare and unlikely - but yes an AV is not a must. There are really only a handful of reasons someone would need an AV:

- They use a work phone where the security requirements from the office requires an AV
    - The user downloads files on your BB10 devices and accessed those files from a PC over USB / wifi
    - Users install a lot of Android APKs from anywhere (Snap included)
    -Users use their Bb10 devices as a USB storage device
    - Some people just want the extra security

It certainly isn't needed, but there is a small group of folks who require it. And in that case, they just need to make sure they use an AV from a reliable source. There are some scam apps in bbry world right now that pretend to be a free AV to try to get you to unlock the pro to remove nonexistent viruses. And the android 'free' AV scanners can only scan a very small sandboxed part of the android environment.

Ed

Posted via CB from my LE
    Yep, the other issue was the scam paid apps that don't really do anything. At least I know of one legitimate AV now if anyone asks me.
    You mentioned using a BlackBerry as a USB storage device. What is that exactly. If I transfer music from my computer to my BlackBerry, do I have anything to worry about. It's all paid music ripped from CDs or bought from BB World and from Verizon's old music service. I just transfer them to each new device.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by leehardballer12; 02-24-14 at 09:43 PM.
    gurasanders likes this.
    02-23-14 11:30 PM
    Thank you for the updated information.. I wanted the AV as a sense of security to provide reassurance of downloading android apps to my BB via APK...
    02-24-14 03:22 AM
    Yep, the other issue was the scam paid apps that don't really do anything. At least I know of one legitimate AV now if anyone asks me.
    You mentioned using a BlackBerry as a USB storage device. What is that exactly. If I transfer music from my computer to my BlackBerry, do I have anything to worry about. It's all paid music ripped from CDS or bought from BB World and from Verizon's old music service. I just transfer them to each new device.

Posted via CB10
    Either via Blackberry Link or if you enable Mass Storage Mode on the Blackberry, you can use the phones internal memory or SD card as a USB thumb drive.
    In this form, the phone can be used as a medium for virus or Trojan software, running on the host computer, to pass the infection to another computer or to corrupt files already on the phone.
    See:
    1-in-4 worms spread through infected USB devices - Computerworld
    02-24-14 04:33 AM
    Either via Blackberry Link or if you enable Mass Storage Mode on the Blackberry, you can use the phones internal memory or SD card as a USB thumb drive.
    In this form, the phone can be used as a medium for virus or Trojan software, running on the host computer, to pass the infection to another computer or to corrupt files already on the phone.
    See:
    1-in-4 worms spread through infected USB devices - Computerworld
    Exactly. It sure is darn handy though when your in a pinch lol!

Posted via CB from my LE
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    02-24-14 07:54 AM
    Thank you for the updated information.. I wanted the AV as a sense of security to provide reassurance of downloading android apps to my BB via APK...
    Absolutely. There are no dumb questions when it comes to security - except for not asking at all I suppose. If you ever have a question don't hesitate and you can always reach me via the contact support for the app. As long as km awake I'll respond pretty quickly.

Posted via CB from my LE
    gurasanders likes this.
    02-24-14 07:55 AM
    Exactly. It sure is darn handy though when your in a pinch lol!

Posted via CB from my LE
    Exactly

I normally keep a 32gb thumb drive on me, but I also will supplement that with my Blackberry at times.
    gurasanders and KermEd like this.
    02-24-14 08:23 AM
    I fully endorse KermEd and his products, Secure Browser is my Browser of course!
    02-24-14 08:40 PM
    I fully endorse KermEd and his products, Secure Browser is my Browser of course!
    Thanks man . Secure Browser needs a full rewrite. But it was built on the advice of CB users for PlayBook!

Posted via CB from my LE
    02-24-14 09:57 PM