Crackberrians, questions... I have a Z30 and the battery life is pretty good in general... however, I have noted that the feature that drains the battery faster in my phone is when I use the browser... I see the pattern every time I open the browser, the use of battery and cpu is noticeable... few minutes surfing is bigger in consume than hours of using an app... also, when I use the browser is when I feel the battery gets warm (between 95 and 105 F)... two questions: do you see the same in your device? would help to side load the bar file of the browser? If so, does anyone have the one from .1925? Thanks
    01-10-14 08:20 PM
    You could try evolution browser as an alternative. It's $3 but well worth it. I use it a bit. Very well reviewed on BlackBerry world.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30
    01-10-14 11:29 PM
    I would check the settings first before dropping $3 on an app that you don't know about. I do not have a Z30 but if you are seeing a dramatic drop in battery on general browser use there is something that isn't quite right. My Z10 does not lose excessive battery while streaming or surfing. i would snoop around in settings to make sure all is well.

Good luck!
    01-10-14 11:39 PM
    thanks for the replies... i am not looking for a new app to replace my stock browser, just wondering if mine installed has something wrong... in my regular use, if i am in the browser for 1h, the battery drains between 10-15%... also, the battery heats up... since it's the only situation when the battery acts like that, i want to see if there is something in my browser or it is normal...
    01-11-14 08:57 AM
    Well the screen is always going to be the biggest draw on your battery, by far. So if you've been using the browser for an hour straight (with the screen on) then 10 to 15% battery drain is probably in the ballpark of what you should expect. Using Mobile data eats a lot of power as well. Wifi data a little less.

Changing the screen brightness will affect the battery drain a lot. But with the screen on for extended periods it is going to heat up the battery. Can not be helped. I find the Z30 stays very cool under heavy use compared to other phones I've had in the past. That's just my own experience though.

01-11-14 11:52 AM
    ok thanks, just wanted to be sure that my battery drain was normal... getting warm i guess is part of the same... my screen is on lowest possible but even so, the drain is clear with the browser... but is all good, thanks

Well the screen is always going to be the biggest draw on your battery, by far. So if you've been using the browser for an hour straight (with the screen on) then 10 to 15% battery drain is probably in the ballpark of what you should expect. Using Mobile data eats a lot of power as well. Wifi data a little less.

Changing the screen brightness will affect the battery drain a lot. But with the screen on for extended periods it is going to heat up the battery. Can not be helped. I find the Z30 stays very cool under heavy use compared to other phones I've had in the past. That's just my own experience though.

01-11-14 02:33 PM
    ok thanks, just wanted to be sure that my battery drain was normal... getting warm i guess is part of the same... my screen is on lowest possible but even so, the drain is clear with the browser... but is all good, thanks
    What OS are you using? I had a problem with 1925 in that my phone would get warm whenever I went online, either by browser, CB10, or FB. I dropped back to 1259 and the problem is gone.

Z30 / STA 100-3 / 10.2.1.1259
    gallopiton likes this.
    01-11-14 02:54 PM
    Quick question regarding your usage of the stock browser. I have heard that when using a flash based website, and having flash enabled will consume a lot of battery compared to non flash based sites. Would the sites that you frequent be flash based?
    gallopiton likes this.
    01-11-14 09:54 PM
    You could try evolution browser as an alternative. It's $3 but well worth it. I use it a bit. Very well reviewed on BlackBerry world.

I disagree it's mediocre at best the reason for the high rating is because he does not show anything but 4-5 star ratings

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 12:27 AM
    I'm going to +1 a couple of the previous posters:

1. Turn down your display a bit as the browser is almost always a white bg compared to dark themes in many other apps and parts of the os.

2. Try disabling the flash support in the browser.

Posted via CB10
    gallopiton likes this.
    01-12-14 12:55 AM
    Of you so not need the BlackBerry Link to connect to computer wirelessly- turn it off - it will increase battery time.

Posted via CB10
    gallopiton likes this.
    01-12-14 10:51 AM
    I use Opera Classic v12.something (Google Store Android Apps) more then Native. Just search Google apps. It's the best and free. I have been using it a long time. Very little resource use. Get the classic only. The others suck. Don't use Turbo mode the browser seems to be faster without it. Try it though after you get used to Opera Classic. Give it a try for a few days give yourself time to understand how it works. Small foot print and easy to use. Mobile text reframing on a page rocks. Don't turn on full page and then you can pinch size a Web page to read the font and Opera will reframe the page to fit your phone screen. Works super on my z10 STL100-3 on 1925.. Good luck..

akawarrior
    gallopiton likes this.
    01-12-14 11:37 AM
    thanks for the suggestions... and yes, mostly i was using browser for two web pages heavy with flash... so that could be a reason... i will turn it off (flash) and test, and then i will report back if there is any considerable change... thanks again!

Quick question regarding your usage of the stock browser. I have heard that when using a flash based website, and having flash enabled will consume a lot of battery compared to non flash based sites. Would the sites that you frequent be flash based?
    01-12-14 02:08 PM
    i am in .1925 as i said in the tittle ... but i think i remember the same happened when i was in 1055... could be flash, as some others suggest... thanks anyway

What OS are you using? I had a problem with 1925 in that my phone would get warm whenever I went online, either by browser, CB10, or FB. I dropped back to 1259 and the problem is gone.

Z30 / STA 100-3 / 10.2.1.1259
    01-12-14 02:11 PM
    mmm... i am going to give it a try just to see if there is any difference, thanks for the suggestion...

I use Opera Classic v12.something (Google Store Android Apps) more then Native. Just search Google apps. It's the best and free. I have been using it a long time. Very little resource use. Get the classic only. The others suck. Don't use Turbo mode the browser seems to be faster without it. Try it though after you get used to Opera Classic. Give it a try for a few days give yourself time to understand how it works. Small foot print and easy to use. Mobile text reframing on a page rocks. Don't turn on full page and then you can pinch size a Web page to read the font and Opera will reframe the page to fit your phone screen. Works super on my z10 STL100-3 on 1925.. Good luck..

akawarrior
    01-12-14 02:19 PM