Blackberry Z30 review highlights from gsmarena.com

BlackBerry 10 is still a toddler compared to iOS and Android, but the others can certainly learn a trick or two. And you can't accuse BlackBerry of not trying either. Many popular apps missing at the premiere of the OS are now available in the BlackBerry World. Popular Android and iOS games are making their way to the platform too.

The BlackBerry Z30 is nonetheless a solidly built smartphone with a practical design and secure grip

The BlackBerry Z30 managed an Endurance rating of 52 hours meaning it'll easily cope two days of web browsing, video watching and 3G talking each. 23:19h talk time and 10:35 Video playback.

Colors are punchy, blacks are the usual AMOLED deep and the screen is viewed comfortably at even wide angles. Sunlight legibility is quite good too, as testified by the BlackBerry Z30's performance in our dedicated test. Better display than the Note 2 and last longer without affecting color balance.

BlackBerry Hub is a messaging power house. The Hub is pretty simple at first glance - a list of messages with an icon that indicates the service (SMS, BBM, email, Twitter,whatsapp,evernote,linkin or Facebook, but also calls and voicemails) and also flags messages read or unread (color icons are for unread messages, monochrome icons are for read messages). Messages are indexed by date.

BlackBerry has taken care to make the virtual on-screen keyboard one of the best keyboards around by enabling a ton of advanced features, some of which adapt to you. Like Android and iOS, the BlackBerry keyboard can use voice dictation to input text.

The BlackBerry Z30 has a louder ringer than the Z10, which, combined with vibration, should see to you not missing any calls. It got a Good mark, which is a great result meaning missed calls will be a rarity.

The Edit option in the gallery app is pretty powerful. The Transform tab in the editor can rotate and flip the image and there's a free transform tool as well if you want to crop out a specific part of the image. Then there's Enhance with the standard image tweaking options available (brightness, contrast, sharpness, noise reduction and so on), each with a slider for adjustments. There's a simple Auto-enhance option if you don't want to waste time.

The Z30 video player handled all the popular file formats (AVI, MP4, MKV) and 1080p videos easily. Codec support is pretty great too - DivX, XviD and h.264 are ready to go as is Dolby Digital audio

Good music player, No equalizer The BlackBerry did impressively well in the first part of our audio quality test. The smartphone posted excellent scores all over the field and garnished them with nicely high volume levels. There was some levels on the headphone but not hearable.

It's a very good camera, one of the best 8MP shooters right now. Given BlackBerry's past record with still cameras, we would have been happy with anything that produces usable images, but the Z30 actually came way better than that.

In terms of image quality, video recording is on the high level set by the still camera - the clips produced are smooth at a consistent 30fps and with plenty of fine detail. Colors are again oversaturated but there's no visible noise. To our delight, the video packs a great amount of detail without looking oversharpened.

Unlike its smaller brother, the BlackBerry Z30 covers a lot of connectivity ground with just one model version and not four.

The BlackBerry Z30 has full Flash support - it's among the last active platforms that do. The dual-core Krait processor had no problem playing a 1080p YouTube videos, for instance.
    BlackBerry bragged about how good their browser is, so we ran a few benchmarks on it. At the moment, it's the top scorer at HTML5Test.com (which tests HTML5 compatibility), beating other mobile and even desktop browsers by a good margin.

The BlackBerry Z30 comes with a full-blown Office document editor - you wouldn't expect any less, would you? It's called DocsToGo and can both view and create Word and Excel documents. It can edit PowerPoint presentations too.

The BlackBerry Z30 comes with a full array of social networking apps out of the box, as the company has finally realized that social networking is important for both regular folks and businesses these days.

BlackBerry 10 comes with its own map application with map data coming from TomTom and TeleCommunications Systems. Maps app is not only prettier, but also sports a lot more places and feels complete now. The app only features regular maps - no satellite images or street view

The BlackBerry World app is your gateway to over 70,000 apps for your new BlackBerry Z30. While not as many apps as Android and iOS have (or even Windows Phone), many of the major names are available.

Final words :

Going by sheer numbers, the 10.2 upgrade doesn't sound particularly promising but it actually overdelivers. But yes, the lockscreen notifications, instant preview and reply, the priority hub, USB host do make a difference. Heck, it's even things like the reject-call-with-text feature that took Apple a few iOS versions to enable - and they made a big deal out of it.

It's the complete experience though that counts and the BB 10 is an easy OS to like for being both creative and efficient. The swipe gestures let you interact with the phone in a unique way, and the experience is almost addictive. The Blackberry Z30 is a seriously good multitasker too, and has solid social and communication skills, cloud sync and storage, an office package and a file manager.

BlackBerry Z30 review: Against the odds - GSMArena.com
    11-07-13 08:49 AM
    Thanks for posting this review!
    11-07-13 09:09 AM
    Wow this made me happy, yes I know it's only a phone. But that's a Damn good review, looks like the Z30 made that tech a believer.
    Thank you for posting that for us
    I just got my Z30 cause of this thread

Posted via that z10!
    11-07-13 09:20 AM
    Wow this made me happy, yes I know it's only a phone. But that's a Damn good review, looks like the Z30 made that tech a believer.
    Thank you for posting that for us
    I just got my Z30 cause of this thread

Posted via that z10!
    still waiting
    Last edited by whatsever; 11-10-13 at 10:49 AM.
    11-09-13 10:49 AM
    I wish all these Z30 bashers who constantly come here to beat up BB for releasing a phone that was supposedly underspecced, rather than assessing its great overall user experience, would go to Gsmarena to read this. Gsmarena is not a typical BB friend, but they seem to like the Z30 a lot. And they have a s**tload of "better specced" phones to compare with!
    11-10-13 05:14 AM