Well, I've put this off as long as I can but now my Z30 is so unstable that I think it is time to start fresh.

The first and fundamental question is whether I am better off doing a factory reset or using an autoloader?

My Z30 is on Verizon has 10.3.2.556 software.

I found and downloaded a file named Z30_10.3.02.2789_STA100-1-2-3-4-5-6.7z If I go autoloader, is this the right file that I need or there there another that is correct and/or better ?

This is the first time that I have ever wiped a mobile phone and am backup up what I can.

I have copied all of my documents and such so that won't be lost. I have all eight email accounts and know that I'll lose my text messages. I don't use BBM so that won't be an issue. I have screen shots of my applications and should be able to get the phone back to where I need it.

I do not know how to back up the keyboard shortcuts (I have at least 50.)

Is there anything else I need to grab or do before I commence?

Thanks for any input.

DG

Added:

I have been asked what the device is doing and said that I would reply here:

Basically, I now cannot answer a ringing call, placing calls often takes over 30 seconds and occasionally well longer. This has become progressively worse. The reset holding down the volume buttons sometimes helps.

These happen on both WiFi and LTE: I cannot send emails but can receive them. The browser will not load pages but you can tell a little comes in.

A number of times per day, the device becomes unresponsive such that even edge swipe gestures do not respond.

I have only three Android applications but none work at all.

Just in case this is not a physical problem, the top power button will not put the phone to sleep.

Cannot take screen shots using the volume buttons but can control the volume without issue.

As one can see, the problems are all over the map, hence the reason that I think a full reload on the phone is in order.

Update history: The phone was delivered with 10.2.1 and I had updated to 10.3.1.x using Sacahi and later the Verizon OTA update.

Phone age: Purchased on the day it was available from Verizon so I'm guessing I'm coming up on two years.

Condition: Some wear and tear, no broken glass although there seem to be a few chips on the edges.

Backup Status: I have tried to make a backup using Link but was not able to. That said, I do not plan on using restoring a backup. I am wanting to make the phone "new" and to start from scratch only carrying over my BlackBerry ID.

And what's weird, battery life is awesome, often exceeding three days. I hate to lose that but clearly something is not running and thus the phone.
    Last edited by bull_thumper; 10-19-15 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Added info
    10-19-15 07:43 PM
    Too bad you already wiped your device. A sideload with Sachesi or Darcy's tools would have been all you needed to do without using an autoloader.
    But, now, as long as you have what you need backed up use the autoloader and be careful how and what you restore.
    It'll be a bit of work but worth the time in the end.

http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...aders-1040826/

I'm not clear weather you already wiped your device or just backed it up. If you haven't done a security wipe DONT!!!
    Simply side load the "BLITZ" file with Sachesi Tool!

http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...update-957892/
    10-19-15 08:23 PM
    I have not done anything aside from trying to backup everything possible but even that is getting difficult. I've down to writing down notes as to what I need to restore and redo.

Per your guidance, I am downloading "BlitzOS_10.3.2789_(SR 2514)_For_All_BB10_Devices.zip" and am working on getting Sachesi setup.

Now to read the instructions...
    10-19-15 08:41 PM
    Okay, I have Sachesi up, the BlitzOS file downloaded and extracted the zip file into a folder. I have killed all BlackBerry and Link related tasks.

Running Sachesi 2.0.2 shows me "My" Applications.

Do I want to "Install Folder" and pick the BlitzOS folder ?
    10-19-15 08:51 PM
    I have not done anything aside from trying to backup everything possible but even that is getting difficult. I've down to writing down notes as to what I need to restore and redo.

Per your guidance, I am downloading "BlitzOS_10.3.2789_(SR 2514)_For_All_BB10_Devices.zip" and am working on getting Sachesi setup.

Now to read the instructions...
    Try the update but it won't fix your problems. Your best bet is a device OS reload through BlackBerry link, followed by the update, you downloaded through sachesi (really easy to do).

Don't restore anything as you said you wouldn't
    It should resolve all your software problems.
    10-19-15 08:53 PM
    I went ahead and threw caution to the wind and jumped through the Stargate and picked that folder.

It says that needs to install 205 bar files. It looks like is leaving a bunch of files alone so I assume that means that this will just update the OS and not start it over from scratch.

I'll post back and see if this works. Since I couldn't use the phone for calls even after reboots, we'll see if that is fixed.,
    10-19-15 08:59 PM
    Try the update but it won't fix your problems. Your best bet is a device OS reload through BlackBerry link, followed by the update, you downloaded through sachesi (really easy to do).

Don't restore anything as you said you wouldn't
    It should resolve all your software problems.
    Well, I just saw your post after I started the process.

Based on what I am seeing, Sachesi is replacing 205 files. (Ironically, that's my address number, too!)

I'm going to let it run at this point.

What is the difference between a factory reset and an OS reload ?
    10-19-15 09:02 PM
    Of course it'll fix your problems. You're coming from an old outdated unstable OS (.556) to the latest and most stable OS to date.

In this particular situation mad_mdx is way off base. If you go through BBLink, it'll only update you to the OS that your carrier has released, which isn't the latest Leak!
    You can simply drag and drop the Blitz file into the "install" in Sachesi and then be very patient. Most of your apps will have to be updated and you'll still have to re login to your accounts
    So, if you really want to start all those accounts over again just use the Autoloader and forget sideloading.
    Last edited by Lostboy5151; 10-19-15 at 09:18 PM.
    10-19-15 09:06 PM

What is the difference between a factory reset and an OS reload ?
    a factory reset will reset your device back to where it was when you first received it.
    An OS reload or upgrade is exactly what it implies!

Upgrades are offered to fix things that were previously not working right plus to add new and better apps.
    Just like upgrading drivers on a computers
    10-19-15 09:12 PM
    Let us know how it went.

Good luck
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    10-19-15 09:15 PM
    Of course it'll fix your problems. You're coming from an old outdated unstable OS (.556) to the latest and most stable OS to date.

You can simply drag and drop the Blitz file into the "install" in Sachesi and then be very patient. Most of your apps will have to be updated and you'll still have to re login to your accounts
    So, if you really want to start all those accounts over again just use the Autoloader and forget sideloading.
    Am doing the update as you suggested. I'm at 10 of 205 files right now and will give it a shot. If it doesn't, then it looks like the starting over will be my plan B.

When I went from 10.2.1 to 10.3.1 using Sachesi, that's when the phone delay problem began. The OTA 10.3.2 didn't fix that completely. I'm hoping this 10.3.2.2789 will. I really don't want to reload the device.

Now if I need to zap the phone and restart, I'm wondering what the difference between using Link to reset or the Autoloader is the best route to take... ...if that remains necessary.

I'm sorry if I'm not familiar with the ins-and-outs of these handheld devices. I've never really had any troubles with my BlackBerries over the years, 12 or 13 years, yikes!

Thanks for y'alls assistance!
    10-19-15 09:15 PM
    BB10 is a new OS It's come a long way in just a few years.Nothing to be sorry about. We're here to help!

First DON'T use OTA to install an OS. The slightest glitch can corrupt a file. Always use your Cable from your device to your computer.
    If you upgrade through "Link you won't get the latest OS. I believe you'll get OS10.3.2.2474
    What you want is 10.3.2.2789 which you'll need the auto loader to install.

Just let it run its course. If it stops loading an app for more than say 15 minutes at the most and is frozen don't worry. You Can't brick a Blackberry!
    It won't happen but, I'm just bringing it up to let you know it'll be fine.

You can PM me if necessary. I'll get it immediately rather than you having to wait for me to check the threads.
    I have a Passport and a Z10 never had an issue and have been successful with helping solve issues like yours for years.

So no worries. We'll get you up and running!
    sam81 likes this.
    10-19-15 09:27 PM
    OK, Sam... It was T's fault, not yours!!
    10-19-15 09:49 PM
    I don't want to start anything here. The nice thing is that there is more than one way to field dress a cat.

At this point, the Blitz update has loaded, the device rebooted and, in principle, the phone is working.

I have received a bunch of SMS texts from the past few days that I didn't know were missing but I still cannot send or receive emails. No errors other than a red circle with a white light through it for unsent emails.

I made a test call and it took 47 seconds from the time I pressed SEND for the screen to change. 20 or 21 seconds later I heard the ringing but at this point the phone was not responsive. I could not activate the speakerphone, terminate the call nor could I "swipe up" to reach the home screen.

I'm going to let it sit for a few minutes and see how if it settles down.
    10-19-15 10:22 PM
    I don't want to start anything here. The nice thing is that there is more than one way to field dress a cat.

At this point, the Blitz update has loaded, the device rebooted and, in principle, the phone is working.

I have received a bunch of SMS texts from the past few days that I didn't know were missing but I still cannot send or receive emails. No errors other than a red circle with a white light through it for unsent emails.

I made a test call and it took 47 seconds from the time I pressed SEND for the screen to change. 20 or 21 seconds later I heard the ringing but at this point the phone was not responsive. I could not activate the speakerphone, terminate the call nor could I "swipe up" to reach the home screen.

I'm going to let it sit for a few minutes and see how if it settles down.
    I see where we missed something.
    Got your PM and Returned a reply!
    10-19-15 11:32 PM
    So how long does this security wipe take on a z30! Been working at it for 10hrs sitting at 96%. I imagine i have plug it into the charger as it must be getting low on batt. power pretty soon.
    10-20-15 08:58 PM
    So how long does this security wipe take on a z30! Been working at it for 10hrs sitting at 96%. I imagine i have plug it into the charger as it must be getting low on batt. power pretty soon.
    It depends on how much stuff (and possibly what kind of stuff) is on the phone. There have been a few recent reports of more than 24 hours. A few of us have volunteered that we could not have the patience to wait that out. I think someone went almost a day at 99%!!!

Definitely keep it on CHARGER.
    10-21-15 12:01 AM
    22 hrs still at 98%
    10-21-15 09:21 AM
    Well its up to 99% now after 77hrs !!! Good grief been 24hrs at 99% that little gap of the square is getting smaller.......
    10-23-15 05:54 PM
    Well its up to 99% now after 77hrs !!! Good grief been 24hrs at 99% that little gap of the square is getting smaller.......
    See this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...22/index2.html

A recent post rebooted and the rest of the wipe finished quickly. But you can also wait it out.
    10-23-15 07:11 PM
    See this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...22/index2.html

A recent post rebooted and the rest of the wipe finished quickly. But you can also wait it out.
    Still stuck at 99% going on 96hrs .... I'll leave it today again.
    10-24-15 09:23 AM
    A reboot perhaps.....

"I don't think that word means what you think it means."
    10-26-15 12:39 AM
    After waiting 96rs I turned it off and it restarted the wipe and finished in 15 minutes.
    10-26-15 01:04 AM
    After waiting 96rs I turned it off and it restarted the wipe and finished in 15 minutes.
    Haha. It's happened to me as well. I didn't wait that long.

"I don't think that word means what you think it means."
    10-26-15 01:06 AM
    I see where we missed something.
    Got your PM and Returned a reply!
    May I ask how you guys have resolved this issue?

My Z suddenly will freeze up after a couple of minutes and won't respond to anything. The only thing it responds to, is when the screen timeout limit reaches and the display turns off, then i can swipe to wake. But after that swipe it is frozen again and will only do the aforementioned after the timeout limit. Volume button reset doesn't work and it will only turn off by holding the power button for a couple of seconds. Does the same when it boots up again.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-26-15 10:39 PM
34 12