4.6 inch screen?
    I don't know about anyone else but i don't want a phone as big as that behemoth Samsung thing. What did you see?
    Totally agree. The 4.2 on the Z10 is as big as I would ever want to carry as a phone. I've got a Nexus 4 I used for a while and its just -> <- that much too big for comfortable use.

I want a phone that feels comfortable to use, fits in a pocket easily, and let's me be productive. To go any larger, I just use a tablet.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 04:37 PM
    If it is indeed 720 instead of 1080, it would be smart for BlackBerry not to mention the number but instead just market it as Full HD or something along those lines.

Apple does a fantastic job at this.
    HD is 720, Full HD is 1080
    07-06-13 04:45 PM
    also no one uses an hd resolution to read its for video consumption.
    Please explain.
    07-06-13 04:48 PM
    I believe sales would be better if the device had a 1080p screen vs 720. I think many people do check specs OR listen to the person who is trying to sell the device.
    Problem is that if a BB10 device came out with 1080, most apps would have to be rewritten and so would the OS to match the new resolution. Apps and the OS will not scale automatically.
    07-06-13 04:49 PM
    Have you see in the numbers where the sales were affected by having a 720 screen and nothing to do with limited apps? The only spec that I have talked about is 720 vs 1080. Pump it up in every other spec area, I don't have any statement on those. It is just that another screen resolution will not benefit the customer but will fragment app development and limit app, which will hurt customers and sales.
    I dunno why you feel that you have to defend bull......don't you know tech sites and blogs also have a hand in these stuff....look at the HTC one which was hyped and touted as having a better build quality than the gs4 and it's impact on the HTC one sales....look at what happened when these sites took on the xbox one and how it made people shift to get the ps4 instead that Microsoft had to do a 180 to please them....blackberry should be at the forefront if they want to compete....bringing out nothing less than a 1080p screen would be suicide...just watch and see....this is 2013 not 2012.... all flag ships this year are 1080p, and that is their competition....i don't care if you don't notice the difference between 720 & 1080p but I definitely notice the difference between my z10 and my brothers gs4 screen...isn't it better that they release a phone with top notch spec that please both those that do and do not care about spec than please only those who don't?....they have to wake up in other to compete

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 10:00 PM
    Most people can't tell the difference between a 1080p and a 720p TV for sizes under 42-25". Many people can't be bothered to notice the difference between DVD and Blu-ray discs and the last time I checked DVDs were still outselling Blu-ray discs.

Streaming service providers use crappy compression for their online and on-demand content. I bet if you asked, the majority of HD cable subscribers couldn't tell you what resolution video comes out of their cable box.

Fact is, a 1920x1080 screen is useless for a phone with a 4-5" screen. The manufacturer is much better off focussing on aspects such as brightness, colour quality, and outdoor readability. Higher resolution is sure to cause additional battery drain.

If you want to drool over a difference you can't see, be my guest.
    07-06-13 10:27 PM
    Most people can't tell the difference between a 1080p and a 720p TV for sizes under 42-25". Many people can't be bothered to notice the difference between DVD and Blu-ray discs and the last time I checked DVDs were still outselling Blu-ray discs.

Streaming service providers use crappy compression for their online and on-demand content. I bet if you asked, the majority of HD cable subscribers couldn't tell you what resolution video comes out of their cable box.

Fact is, a 1920x1080 screen is useless for a phone with a 4-5" screen. The manufacturer is much better off focussing on aspects such as brightness, colour quality, and outdoor readability. Higher resolution is sure to cause additional battery drain.

If you want to drool over a difference you can't see, be my guest.
    You do know, that the new generation of 1080p screens, offers a variety of enhancements, in exactly the things you are talking about?

I have a comparison for you, where the iPhone 5, the Samsung S3 and the S4 are being looked at.

And the screen in the S4 tops its predecessor in every category, by a far margin, except for the power consumption, which is then negated by a larger battery and the fact that the S4 outlasts the BlackBerry Z10 considering battery life by a factor of 2.

The new 1080p screen also helps in letting the drawbacks of a pentile matrix nearly disappear.

So yes, under every circumstance you evoked, a 1080p display is better, and one can see a difference.
    The higher battery drain is of no concern, since one can just use a bigger battery.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S4_ShootOut_1.htm

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 12:37 AM
    I wouldn't take the risk of having developers have to do the extra work to make their apps compatible on a 1080 screen for the sake of having one. More apps on a phone trumps a useless spec that you can't even tell the difference on all day (ask Apple). BlackBerry already set the standard for developers to make their apps on no need to run them off to try to keep up with Android. As someone else stated Android needs to have top notch specs to make up for other shortcomings in their os. No need to lose trying to run their race.

Posted via CB10
    SubCamp likes this.
    07-07-13 12:38 AM
    The new 1080p screen also helps in letting the drawbacks of a pentile matrix nearly disappear.

So yes, under every circumstance you evoked, a 1080p display is better, and one can see a difference.
    Image quality, contrast ratio, brightness, etc... is not tied to the resolution of the display. You can have some amazing 720p displays and some absolute crap 1080p displays. I'd much rather watch my 720p plasma TV than any low-end 1080p TV. PQ is not necessarily tied to resolution, it just happens that Samsung spec'd these improvements along with the higher resolution.

The higher battery drain is of no concern, since one can just use a bigger battery.
    Which adds weight and bulk.
    07-07-13 12:51 AM
    I dunno why you feel that you have to defend bull......don't you know tech sites and blogs also have a hand in these stuff....look at the HTC one which was hyped and touted as having a better build quality than the gs4 and it's impact on the HTC one sales....
    For all the hype of the htc device, just compare the sales with the gs4 or how badly htc are doing these days despite being one of the main oems when it comes to racing to chase specs.
    07-07-13 08:07 AM
    Well, it sure hasn't helped Windows Phone much by staying out of the specs race. Even the next update to Windows Phone is going to support 1080P resolution.

Lumia is pretty much stagnant in the high end because the 920 was as high end as it could get and they just keep repackaging that phone with a new bell or whistle. They have had success by releasing ultra low end phones and making a big push in China. BlackBerry has no intentions of releasing ultra low end BB10 phones and aren't even competing in China in any meaningful way yet.

I just don't get the strategy.

How can BlackBerry gain market share by trailing behind even Windows Phone when it comes to making decisions to keep up with where the market is headed. BlackBerry can't get ahead in the race by going slower then everyone else.
    Korepab and BB_Bmore like this.
    07-07-13 10:32 AM
    Well, it sure hasn't helped Windows Phone much by staying out of the specs race. Even the next update to Windows Phone is going to support 1080P resolution.

Lumia is pretty much stagnant in the high end because the 920 was as high end as it could get and they just keep repackaging that phone with a new bell or whistle. They have had success by releasing ultra low end phones and making a big push in China. BlackBerry has no intentions of releasing ultra low end BB10 phones and aren't even competing in China in any meaningful way yet.

I just don't get the strategy.

How can BlackBerry gain market share by trailing behind even Windows Phone when it comes to making decisions to keep up with where the market is headed. BlackBerry can't get ahead in the race by going slower then everyone else.
    Totally agree, for BlackBerry to compete they need a true entry level BB10 device. That surely has to be on their roadmap.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 12:38 PM
    Does anyone here think if BlackBerry wants to mot play catch up, but set the standard... create a 4k resolution display! lol. Useless in a mobile handset, but hey, that would set a new bench mark!

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 12:44 PM
    Does anyone here think if BlackBerry wants to mot play catch up, but set the standard... create a 4k resolution display! lol. Useless in a mobile handset, but hey, that would set a new bench mark!

Posted via CB10
    And have 64bit colour displays. Can anyone tell me why we don't have 64bit colour yet? Same reason why 1080p is a waste.
    07-07-13 12:52 PM
    Totally agree, for BlackBerry to compete they need a true entry level BB10 device. That surely has to be on their roadmap.

Posted via CB10
    I think for them to do this they need BB10 to run on devices less than <1GB of ram. Lumia 520 is only $130 outright, works smooth on 1ghz dual core cpu with 512mb of ram and 5MP camera and no front facing camera using a removable 1400mAH battery or so. BB probably doesn't want fragmentation by removing front camera, after all their commercials and ads show BBM Video
    07-07-13 02:21 PM
    everyone in this thread begging for a 5" 1080p screen will ***** about the battery life after they get it.

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    07-07-13 06:57 PM
    I think for them to do this they need BB10 to run on devices less than <1GB of ram. Lumia 520 is only $130 outright, works smooth on 1ghz dual core cpu with 512mb of ram and 5MP camera and no front facing camera using a removable 1400mAH battery or so. BB probably doesn't want fragmentation by removing front camera, after all their commercials and ads show BBM Video
    Exactly and BB10 can't run on anything with less than 2GB of RAM, so they'll go with an Apple like approach where last year's model becomes this year's low end. It's a big problem for 2013 obviously as they can't get a lot of people to move from BBOS to BB10 as they can't afford the new devices.
    07-07-13 06:58 PM
    Exactly and BB10 can't run on anything with less than 2GB of RAM, so they'll go with an Apple like approach where last year's model becomes this year's low end. It's a big problem for 2013 obviously as they can't get a lot of people to move from BBOS to BB10 as they can't afford the new devices.
    There are other ways too get there. Keep the RAM at 2GB but slip the specs elsewhere, like storage, screen size, proc speed, network capability (forego LTE network?). Less premium materials might be an option - the Q10 has a nice premium feel to it, for example.

Just a few thoughts. I'm sure there are ways to get there. The biggest thing is to avoid using BBOS7 as a fallback method to get to lower priced devices.

BlackBerry really needs to put BBOS7 to rest. Everything new and strategic should be on BB10. Just please stop looking back, put all resources onto BB10.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 08:17 PM
    BB10 CAN run on less than 2GB of RAM. I have a 1GB Q10 that I use for app testing and demos and it runs just fine. I have had 8 apps running on it at the same time. Is it as fast as my Z10. No. But it is no dog either.
    07-07-13 08:32 PM
    BlackBerry really needs to put BBOS7 to rest. Everything new and strategic should be on BB10. Just please stop looking back, put all resources onto BB10.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry needs to be a shark. sharks don't look back cause they don't have necks. necks are for sheep.

Posted via CB10
    sunsetblow and black.rhino like this.
    07-07-13 09:14 PM
    Just a few thoughts. I'm sure there are ways to get there. The biggest thing is to avoid using BBOS7 as a fallback method to get to lower priced devices.

They did most of the things that you suggested to produce the q5 and at this time it is not cheap enough to cover the lowest end of the blackberry market, so until that is no longer the case in a year's time or so, we see them taking the smart move of providing an upgrade at the 9320 end of the market too and will have done so using the bbos resources they already needed to keep within the company anyway for ongoing support.
    07-08-13 04:39 AM
    You do realize that Nexus 4 is very similar to Z10 in term of phone-size thanks to the extravagant bezel, right? I think Z10 waste too much space for the bezel and yes I know it's used for gesture but I don't think Q10 has that much wasted space.

Totally agree. The 4.2 on the Z10 is as big as I would ever want to carry as a phone. I've got a Nexus 4 I used for a while and its just -> <- that much too big for comfortable use.

I want a phone that feels comfortable to use, fits in a pocket easily, and let's me be productive. To go any larger, I just use a tablet.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-13 04:23 PM
    They did most of the things that you suggested to produce the q5 and at this time it is not cheap enough to cover the lowest end of the blackberry market, so until that is no longer the case in a year's time or so, we see them taking the smart move of providing an upgrade at the 9320 end of the market too and will have done so using the bbos resources they already needed to keep within the company anyway for ongoing support.
    I respectfully disagree. The Q5 is still too expensive; they need an entry level phone to maintain and grow their market share. Falling back onto a new BBOS7 device is not a good strategic decision.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-13 12:26 PM
    I respectfully disagree. The Q5 is still too expensive; they need an entry level phone to maintain and grow their market share. Falling back onto a new BBOS7 device is not a good strategic decision.
    They cannot yet cut costs sufficiently to cover the 9320 price point with a bb10 device, so giving that segment of the market a bb7 model that is a decent upgrade from a 9320 is a smart move to make for this year.
    07-09-13 04:22 PM
    They surely can't offer BB10 device at 9320's price point, but at twice the price, Q5 is way too expensive (off contract price).

The biggest letdown from bb7 devices are BIS and sand glass. At the same price point, I can get a better android device than 9320. Should BlackBerry able to offer Q5 for $100 less, their chance to sell plenty of it in developing countries will increase significantly.

They cannot yet cut costs sufficiently to cover the 9320 price point with a bb10 device, so giving that segment of the market a bb7 model that is a decent upgrade from a 9320 is a smart move to make for this year.
    07-09-13 11:53 PM
404 ... 14151617