Hope this phone doesn't come out with anything less than a 1080p screen...BlackBerry shouldn't be left behind the curve again...i'm trying to think of ways to make the bezel thin and at the same time not compromise the swipe gestures

Posted via CB10
    It will be a screen with 1280 x 720. It has already been said by BB.
    06-12-13 05:23 PM
    I like that BlackBerry is trying not to burn developers by keeping the screen resolution to 1280x720, but I question the attractiveness of such a device in the market. Right now, BlackBerry 10 is a fantastic piece of software, but it doesn't have the app catalogue yet for a lot of people to switch over just yet. While the software is great, it needs that beautiful hardware to compliment it. Apple succeeds in providing both an excellent software and hardware experience with their phones, and I don't see why BlackBerry can't do the same. It doesn't have to have a quad-core or octa-core processor with some crazy screen resolution, but it should be up to par with the displays of Nokia and Apple, perhaps even better. The hardware quality and appearance should be just as striking and unique. Each of the four OSs have a trademark hardware design and up until now, BlackBerry's has been the keyboard. I'm hoping the company can put out a striking new all-touch device that no one can compare to the iPhone, and one that people can call beautiful and striking. BlackBerry shouldn't hold back on any metric, especially since the OS is still lacking a bit in certain areas.

Actually, it just occurred to me that the next all-touch BlackBerry will be of a different screen resolution than the Z10's 1280x768. Instead of fostering a 1280x720 resolution, if they wanted to push the envelope, they could do away with that resolution and introduce one that higher now rather than later.
    Last edited by FlashFlare11; 06-12-13 at 08:22 PM.
    06-12-13 07:56 PM
    Well they had better hurry up and change their minds on that one because a "flagship" phone in NOVEMBER 2013 that doesn't even beat last years LG Optimus G is guaranteed to tank in the market.

Just ask Microsoft how well selling 'the experience' on sub par hardware is going on Windows Phone.

If the A10 doesn't have what the market expects a high end phone to have at the end of this year - Note III, Moto X, iPhone 5s, High end LG, refresh of HTC One, just to name a few - then BlackBerry 10.2 had better have a mind control feature that induces an orgasm in anyone that gazes upon it or that phone is going to fail harder then whatever the worst selling Windows Phone 7 device was (I think it was an LG)
    Last edited by SuperionMaximus; 06-13-13 at 02:48 PM.
    06-12-13 09:40 PM
    I hope A10 smartphone has 32GB storage instead of 16GB. Please confirm it. 16GB is not enough for me because I have many games and apps.
    06-13-13 07:08 AM
    Then it will fail
    06-13-13 09:24 AM
    Well they had better hurry up and change their minds on that one because a "flagship" phone in NOVEMBER 2012 2013? that doesn't even beat last years LG Optimus G is guaranteed to tank in the market.
    06-13-13 10:41 AM
    Then it will fail
    If you know anything about visual acuity you will know that these resolutions on such a small screen size are overkill: your eyes can't see the difference.

I love reading reviews where the reviewer claims that resolution makes a difference or that one screen has better color accuracy than the other just by eyeballing it. Impossible. People see what they expect to see.

There are a lot of factors that go into good image quality, resolution is only one and not the most important one, especially when you are dealing with a 720p resolution on a 5" screen.

That said, marketing is something different than reality. BlackBerry should up resolution to 1080p even though it doesn't matter.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 10:47 AM
    I am conversant with the concept of visual accuity. The reason why I said that the product will fail if it lacks 1080 resolution is because of the market perception. If Blackberry ships a large-screen phone with 720 resolution, they will give the critics something significant to latch onto. As the underdog, Blackberry cannot put itself in such a position. They have to be aggressive.

SuperionMaximus put it best (above)

If you know anything about visual acuity you will know that these resolutions on such a small screen size are overkill: your eyes can't see the difference.

I love reading reviews where the reviewer claims that resolution makes a difference or that one screen has better color accuracy than the other just by eyeballing it. Impossible. People see what they expect to see.

There are a lot of factors that go into good image quality, resolution is only one and not the most important one, especially when you are dealing with a 720p resolution on a 5" screen.

That said, marketing is something different than reality. BlackBerry should up resolution to 1080p even though it doesn't matter.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 12:41 PM
    I am conversant with the concept of visual accuity. The reason why I said that the product will fail if it lacks 1080 resolution is because of the market perception. If Blackberry ships a large-screen phone with 720 resolution, they will give the critics something significant to latch onto. As the underdog, Blackberry cannot put itself in such a position. They have to be aggressive.

SuperionMaximus put it best (above)
    That's pretty much it. Two years ago people got along fine with half the resolution, but now phone companies (starting with Apple) have decided that a smartphone has to have a higher resolution than a 17" notebook. Anything lower will be behind the times.

I would like to hope that BB knows that and will change the resolution, but the realistic side of me thinks they'll stick with the 1280x720 they promised developers and give people one more reason to diss the phone.
    06-13-13 01:54 PM
    Then it will fail
    Yeah right. Just like the Z10 and Q10 have failed by all the armchair CEOs posting on this forum. The Playbook has 1024 x 600 resolution, is 7 inches and if you play the movie demo, it is gorgeous to look at and everyone I have shown cannot believe how clear it is. Move that to 1280 x 720 and make it 5 inches and it will look even better than the Playbook.

I doubt that 95% of the people who buy a phone don't care about or even know about 1080p. I asked everyone in the office what 1080p is and except for me, they have no clue.

There is a point of diminishing returns. Why not have a 2K phone instead of 1080p?

Just to prove a point. This is taken from the review of the iPhone 5 from a pc mag.

Despite this, the iPhone remains technological jewellery of the finest sort, and the quality of the iPhone 5’s 4in Retina screen is beyond reproach. We measured its maximum brightness at 582cd/m2, a whisker in front of the iPhone 4S at 581cd/m2; deep dark blacks ensure an excellent contrast of 1,058:1. Although taller, the 640 x 1,136 display measures the same across as the 4 and 4S, which means the pixel density remains a gloriously high 326ppi.

Read more: Apple iPhone 5 review | PC Pro http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/smart...#ixzz2W8N9i5NS
    They don't have a problem with the iPhone not even being 720p.
    06-13-13 04:20 PM
    Then it will fail
    Are you going to tell us that the iPhone 5S will be a fail and not sell? Because the 5S is rumored to be released with a 4in screen with a resolution of 1,136 x 640 pixels. If you didn't know, that is "retina display" level. BB10 phones beats that.
    06-13-13 04:33 PM
    I hope this is goin to be a High End device, i�ve never had a BlackBerry before but i had the Z10 for one day an i really liked the software.
    But i�m also a Android/Windows Phone user since they were released. I hope this device will come with a 1080p display, better camera and a good batterry life. thats what i need.
    06-13-13 05:54 PM
    I hope this is goin to be a High End device, i�ve never had a BlackBerry before but i had the Z10 for one day an i really liked the software.
    But i�m also a Android/Windows Phone user since they were released. I hope this device will come with a 1080p display, better camera and a good batterry life. thats what i need.
    Which would you like better? 1080p or good battery life? More resolution will effect battery life.
    06-13-13 06:38 PM
    Yeah right. Just like the Z10 and Q10 have failed by all the armchair CEOs posting on this forum. The Playbook has 1024 x 600 resolution, is 7 inches and if you play the movie demo, it is gorgeous to look at and everyone I have shown cannot believe how clear it is. Move that to 1280 x 720 and make it 5 inches and it will look even better than the Playbook.

I doubt that 95% of the people who buy a phone don't care about or even know about 1080p. I asked everyone in the office what 1080p is and except for me, they have no clue.

There is a point of diminishing returns. Why not have a 2K phone instead of 1080p?

Just to prove a point. This is taken from the review of the iPhone 5 from a pc mag.

They don't have a problem with the iPhone not even being 720p.
    Different demographics.

iPhone buyers are buying into the apple ecosystem and for the industrial design. If you want the apple ecosystem you have to buy an iPhone. BlackBerry isn't there yet - especially in the full touch screen market.

The buyers of TODAYS high end 5" phones are already used to 1080P as all the major players have that resolution on their phones right now. So a phone that is still 6 months out will compete with even newer phones and a whole years worth of marketing from these other brands telling consumers that a high end 5" phone has to have 1080P

Again, it's not about whether or not we NEED it or if we can SEE THE DIFFERENCE. It's what people already expect to get TODAY. Even if they go into the store not knowing what it is or that they want it, your average carrier rep or best buy sales person will slam it and steer people away from it because it's "low res compared to..."

The Q10 is targeting the BlackBerry loyalists. It is the market we OWN. There is nothing else out there that competes with it.

The Z10 is targeting the iPhone and it does beat it in size and resolution. The A10 will be targeting the likes of the Galaxy S 4 and HTC ONE and the Moto X. It will fail if it does not meet the expectations of the buyers it is targeting as well as the expectations of the people who are going to be recommending it in stores.
    kayyourcool likes this.
    06-13-13 06:47 PM
    well if u aske me that way, i would definitely go for the battery life.
    06-13-13 06:48 PM
    well if u aske me that way, i would definitely go for the battery life.
    But the sales people in the store aren't going to frame it that way. The sales people will say BlackBerry is okay but...[insert competitor here]...is better because it has a higher better display, and whatever other specs beat it.

If they really did make a last minute shift to a larger 5" screen from the originally planned 4.65" one in response to market trends, they would be completely idiotic to not also buy a 1080P screen as well. We as consumers all knew by Q4 last year that 2013 was going to be the year of 1080P screens, BlackBerry should have known that by Q3 2011 as companies usually roadmap products around 18 months in advance.

BlackBerry has long been known to be behind the market in terms of hardware for about a decade now. They have always made conservative choices. But it's supposed to be a new BlackBerry and they need to start making products that are at least on par with their competitors.
    MasterOfBinary and Manafest like this.
    06-13-13 07:07 PM
    But the sales people in the store aren't going to frame it that way. The sales people will say BlackBerry is okay but...[insert competitor here]...is better because it has a higher better display, and whatever other specs beat it.

If they really did make a last minute shift to a larger 5" screen from the originally planned 4.65" one in response to market trends, they would be completely idiotic to not also buy a 1080P screen as well. We as consumers all knew by Q4 last year that 2013 was going to be the year of 1080P screens, BlackBerry should have known that by Q3 2011 as companies usually roadmap products around 18 months in advance.

BlackBerry has long been known to be behind the market in terms of hardware for about a decade now. They have always made conservative choices. But it's supposed to be a new BlackBerry and they need to start making products that are at least on par with their competitors.
    Sales people say that Blackberry is bankrupt and won't be around next year and they are still selling millions. 1080p on a 5 inch screen is wasted to the human eye. The only reason that android phone manufactures are doing this pixel race is to compete against each other. People cannot SEE the difference. And only Samsung is making money because they make others hardware.
    06-13-13 07:16 PM
    totally agree.

if they�re still focusing on the business people they will get in huge trouble. the need to get the "normal" consumer as well to grow their market share. But to that they need to go with the market, like you already said and apps are a key as well. I�m not a "swag" or "yolo" user but if the want grow their market share they need to add those apps as well. For example my girlfriend was a BB fan for long time but now she is on iOS because she has here "yolo" apps.

I never had a BB but i really like the OS and they have to keep moving. But i hope they�ll do it right.
    06-13-13 07:19 PM
    Sales people say that Blackberry is bankrupt and won't be around next year and they are still selling millions. 1080p on a 5 inch screen is wasted to the human eye. The only reason that android phone manufactures are doing this pixel race is to compete against each other. People cannot SEE the difference. And only Samsung is making money because they make others hardware.
    So blackberry should just compete with themselves and not the competition?....1080p should be the standard....they need to come out blazing or risk pushing themselves to the background....this should be a new BlackBerry and not the old RIM

Posted via CB10
    kayyourcool likes this.
    06-15-13 11:20 AM
    So blackberry should just compete with themselves and not the competition?....1080p should be the standard....they need to come out blazing or risk pushing themselves to the background....this should be a new BlackBerry and not the old RIM

Posted via CB10
    Two people meet on the street.

peep1 - Wow is that the new <insert whatever phone here>?

peep2 - Sure is!

Most highly unlikey response is....

peep1 - Does it have 1080P?
    Bluenoser63 and fedakd like this.
    06-15-13 11:37 AM
    Which would you like better? 1080p or good battery life? More resolution will effect battery life.
    Not to mention he says "need", proving he knows nothing about what he needs. 1080p on a sub 5" display = hilariously unnecessary.

That doesn't mean the media won't jump all over it though

Posted via my Zed (not Zee) 10
    06-15-13 03:00 PM
    Two people meet on the street.

peep1 - Wow is that the new <insert whatever phone here>?

peep2 - Sure is!

Most highly unlikey response is....

peep1 - Does it have 1080P?
    Bahaha loved that post

#saidnooneever

06-15-13 03:03 PM
    All that being said, commentators are probably right about the necessity of a 1080 display for the a10. Doesn't matter what the reality of the situation is, all the marketing dollars of the big boys combined with the ignorance of the masses will probably necessitate a 1080 display to be competitive. BlackBerry has to remember who there target market is with this phone, droid users who expect 1080 displays.

I hope I'm wrong. Whatever BlackBerry decides to do I hope it's the right choice. For me, I'll be happy with 720 resolution if they sell a whale load of them. Sales are what will make BlackBerry relevant again to the "mainstream" and finally get the whiners there native Netflix app

kayyourcool likes this.
    06-15-13 03:09 PM
    I just hope that BlackBerry focuses more on their software than hardware. I want to see BlackBerry 10 shine more than the device on which it's loaded. As long as the OS is as fantastic as it is now, I'll be happy. A part of me still believes that fantastic hardware will benefit them in competing with Apple and HTC. BlackBerry 10 is a beautiful OS and deserves to be in a beautiful phone.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 05:45 PM
    Can you confirm if A10 comes with 16GB or 32 GB in addition to having microSD? Is it true that camera and battery will be improved in A10? Will all A10 models support 4G?
    Thank you.
    06-16-13 07:54 AM
404 ... 1011121314 ...