Do you think that all GUI elements are vector graphics? Sorry. They are not. Icons, logos, images, etc are not vector graphics. Can you show me a single BB10 app that uses 100 percent vector graphics? If you can't, then you fail to understand the issue.

Since you know so much, what image formats does Cascades supports. How many of them are vector formats?
    By the way, tell me if you think an image will look blurry if it's stretched when going from 720p to 1080p.
    07-13-13 02:06 AM
    No, you need the Q10's glass to swipe, you need the Z10's glass to comfortably swipe. But you don't need the bottom metal. Waste of space.
    From what I hear, it's on the Z10 for comfort/ease of use. Ever tried using the S3/S4 with one hand and trying to press the home/back button? It's really awkward...

The bottom part makes it so the swipes and gestures are easier to do with your thumb.
    07-13-13 02:31 AM
    Every cascades control can be resized without issue. Whether it's vector or 9-slice scaled. What don't you understand about that?

So you think if you make a big button it'll be blurry?
    You are confused about what makes up an app. Resources like icons, images, etc. Those are for the most part raster images and scaling WILL distort it.

You also don't seem to understand how 9-slice SCALING works.

Is This ARISTO?-symbol_guides.jpg

Only the corners are not stretchered. Almost everything else is stretched in one or two ways. It takes the correct image not to be distorted. You can't take a photograph and use 9-slice on it without affecting how it looks.

P.S. You still haven't answered what vector formats are support in Cascades. You seem to know all about vector graphics and Cascades, why don't you simply answer the question?
    07-13-13 06:35 AM
    By the way, tell me if you think an image will look blurry if it's stretched when going from 720p to 1080p.
    If it is not a vector format. Yes. It will blur. It has to. You cannot take an image that is 500 pixels across and add pixels that didn't exist before and not have it blurrier than before.

PS What vector formats does Cascades support. I am waiting for your answer.
    07-13-13 06:42 AM
    Nope. It is needed for swipes.
    You don't really need the bezel as much as is on the Z10. There's no actual need for side bezel at all, and every phone has some bezel top n bottom due to physically fitting stuff in.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 07:14 AM

You also don't seem to understand how 9-slice SCALING works.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	symbol_guides.jpg 
Views:	686 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	182135

Only the corners are not stretchered. ?
    Are you aware you can use 9 slice scaling as a tiled not stretched method so there is no stretching?

Also let's be fair here, your theoretical pixelation due to devs not adapting would actually be hidden by the higher dpi. 720p to 1080p is a 1.5x inflation, yet the screen would only jump less that 1.2x so the result could actually balance itself out.

Bottom line though is that BlackBerry have had in their dev documentation since the playbook that a scaleable design is the best to have, so your issues seem to be not only theoretical but also overblown.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 07:22 AM
    I found it funny everyones argument contains android devices. Why is apple and Microsoft can not release 1080p devices, yet BlackBerry has to. I don't understand that logic, why join a race 1. You can't win 2. BlackBerry doesn't need to.

Androids in a spec race with there own oems, apple, Microsoft, BlackBerry, and even Google(moto X, maybe) all know this, look at there current and up coming phones being released.

Posted via CB10
    First, MS is pretty much irrelevant in this two horse race.

Second, BB needs to make a competitive device if they want to win over new users and get some of the old ones back. There's nothing wrong with them being third for awhile, but it needs to be a relevant third place.

Take a BBOS 7 user (like I was), who goes to upgrade. They already know that with a Z10 they are going to have to side load a few Android apps (apps that are used daily on BBOS 7), and those apps may not work. They're okay with that, but when they get to the store and are handling a Z10, they see an HTC One nearby. No side loading required, all apps that are needed will work, and it walks all over the Z10 in every way. But here's the kicker, they both sell at the same price ! Easy decision.

I understand that it's more than just resolution that makes a pretty screen. I have the phone with the best screen on the market. It's also happens to be a 1920x1080. If BB is going to sell a second tier device, have it dependent on Android, and then sell it at a tier one Android device price, please, tell me again, "Why the hell should I buy it "?

A10 needs to be a tier one device for BB to have a chance at remaining relevant in today's market.
    07-13-13 08:43 AM
    Are you aware you can use 9 slice scaling as a tiled not stretched method so there is no stretching?
    Only works with certain types of images. Mostly backgrounds.
    Also let's be fair here, your theoretical pixelation due to devs not adapting would actually be hidden by the higher dpi. 720p to 1080p is a 1.5x inflation, yet the screen would only jump less that 1.2x so the result could actually balance itself out.
    Let's be fair. You want 1080p so you can have higher resolution screen, but want to fuzzy 720p apps on the 1080p screen. You want it both ways. That never works.
    Bottom line though is that BlackBerry have had in their dev documentation since the playbook that a scaleable design is the best to have, so your issues seem to be not only theoretical but also overblown.
    How many cascade/native BB10 apps have you written? If you want simple apps with only buttons and entry fields, then it is possible, but if you want quality apps, you will have to spend time dealing with the resolutions. And BB recognizes this which is why they came up with a static asset selector system as they know that there has to be different QML and images for different resolutions.
    07-13-13 09:28 AM
    Let's be fair. You want 1080p so you can have higher resolution screen, but want to fuzzy 720p apps on the 1080p screen. You want it both ways. That never works.
    not really as my assertion that you wouldn't notice much would only happen in the instance of apps that aren't updated, and as any good dev would update their app to the new res then your argument would only apply to a subset of apps that even the dev doesn't care about anymore.

How many cascade/native BB10 apps have you written?
    why ask? check my signature or even just search me in BB World and you`ll have the answer. Maybe you should share with us your apps you`ve made?
    07-13-13 09:54 AM
    Bottom line is people here seem to be making all the excuses under the sun of why not to use 1080p while missing the one thing. its what consumers are buying.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    07-13-13 10:03 AM
    not really as my assertion that you wouldn't notice much would only happen in the instance of apps that aren't updated, and as any good dev would update their app to the new res then your argument would only apply to a subset of apps that even the dev doesn't care about anymore.

why ask? check my signature or even just search me in BB World and you`ll have the answer. Maybe you should share with us your apps you`ve made?
    I see cute apps that are very simple kinda like the sample apps that BB gives out. I have said in the past, that I could make simple apps using nothing but basic controls that would scale. When you are making more complicated apps, you realize how much work they will be changing them to match other resolutions.

I will show my new app when it is completed.

It contains BBM integration, location services, web services, remote and local databases, local and remote calendar integration, both native and custom mapping to name some of the main integrations.
    07-13-13 10:04 AM
    Bottom line is people here seem to be making all the excuses under the sun of why not to use 1080p while missing the one thing. its what consumers are buying.
    WOW. All WP8 and Apple customers are currently buying 1080p phones? Call the presses.

OH wait. The excuse is that Apple customers are buying for the ecosystem. So it really isn't about 1080p. The excuse is that WP8 customers are using it for integration with the Windows platform. So it really isn't about 1080p. So many excuses for customer that are NOT buying 1080p phones.
    07-13-13 10:08 AM
    I see cute apps that are very simple kinda like the sample apps that BB gives out. I have said in the past, that I could make simple apps using nothing but basic controls that would scale. When you are making more complicated apps, you realize how much work they will be changing them to match other resolutions.

I will show my new app when it is completed.
    id rather have `cute` apps than no apps. At least I can stand here as a contributor to BB10, you on the other hand....
    07-13-13 10:19 AM
    id rather have `cute` apps than no apps. At least I can stand here as a contributor to BB10, you on the other hand....
    OK. I will whip up a couple. I just the complaint was there wasn't very many good apps.

BTW: Nice graphic work.
    07-13-13 10:22 AM
    Guys you've got it wrong with the screen resolution. A Czech BlackBerry fan portal also showed this news from bgr but they also mention that they have it confirmed from a reliable source that it will be a 1080p display one of the best available on the market.

More here:

http://blackberryczech.cz/2013/prvni...b_source=pubv1

Use translator if you don't speak Czech.

Sky

Posted via CB10
    tryfe likes this.
    07-13-13 10:29 AM
    WOW. All WP8 and Apple customers are currently buying 1080p phones? Call the presses.

OH wait. The excuse is that Apple customers are buying for the ecosystem. So it really isn't about 1080p. The excuse is that WP8 customers are using it for integration with the Windows platform. So it really isn't about 1080p. So many excuses for customer that are NOT buying 1080p phones.
    ok, so first off Apple customers DO purchase because of the ecosystem, if you want to disagree then im sure that`ll be lovely for you.

I was even told by a high up BB exec (I aint saying who) that their research indicated that people who had spent several thousand dollars would most likely never move from that ecosystem due to their being bought into it. its very common sense that if iv bought a load of apps and maybe a car docking system, maybe a home hifi with a ipod connector etc that im far more tied into that device. an ecosystem doesn't just mean apps but accessories too. And that's before you even want to think about brand loyalty.

As for Wp8, that doesn't have huge traction in the market, maybe your taking my comments a tad too literally and with no deviation just to be silly, but lets look at the hard facts here, lets focus purely on the SGS4, forget any other android device, purely the S4. That sold 10 MILLION devices in 26 days. that's one phone. now lets look at nokia, in Q1 this year? 5.6m Lumias. looks a tad below the S4 eh, and BB10? 3.7m in 4 months.

Maybe I should remake the statement for those that want to take every single little word totally literally and not as a sweeping generalisation.
    With the exception of Apple iPhones, 1080p phones are selling the most.
    07-13-13 10:34 AM
    Guys you've got it wrong with the screen resolution. A Czech BlackBerry fan portal also showed this news from bgr but they also mention that they have it confirmed from a reliable source that it will be a 1080p display one of the best available on the market.

More here:

Prvn� unikl� fotografie BlackBerry Aristo A10! | BlackBerryCzech

Use translator if you don't speak Czech.

Sky

Posted via CB10
    doubtful. many people on here have taken apart the latest 10.2 builds and found Aristo splash screens, and they are 720p.
    07-13-13 10:47 AM
    Maybe I should remake the statement for those that want to take every single little word totally literally and not as a sweeping generalisation.
    With the exception of Apple iPhones, 1080p phones are selling the most.
    Or you could just say that top end phones with 5 inch screens going into this Fall will have 1080p screen resolutions. If the A10 does not have a competitive spec screen, but tries to command a comparable price to those that have 1080p, then it will fail. If Blackberry doesn't want to try and compete it doesn't have to, and potential Blackberry consumers will vote with their hard earned cash and buy the best spec phone they can for their cash. The screen spec is massively important in a smartphone as it's right in front of our eyes all the time.
    07-13-13 10:49 AM
    FORGET THIS FIGHT!

THE A10 will be a FULL HD device!

Read my post #190
    07-13-13 10:49 AM
    They final built will be a Full HD display, I know those guys, and they have pretty correct info. you will see
    07-13-13 10:50 AM
    They final built will be a Full HD display, I know those guys, and they have pretty correct info. you will see
    No. Its 720p. Don't think BlackBerry will want to **** off the developers and the two resolutions after the z10 will be 720X720 and 1280X720 according to BlackBerry's developer support website

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 11:04 AM
    I sure hope so. But I'm starting to doubt that it will be =\
    07-13-13 11:51 AM
    Ah if only the leaked photo was clearer, we could've counted the bottom pixels and get to know the p for sure.
    chrispdm1 likes this.
    07-13-13 05:26 PM
    Is This ARISTO?-img_00000777_edit.png
    Is This ARISTO?-img_00000778_edit.png

these would be a nice BlackBerry device!! not like this "a10" (only talking about the design)

Posted using Z10 Stl100-1 10.1.0.4543
    07-14-13 12:57 AM
    Tech's New Most Meaningless Spec: PPI | Gizmodo Australia

PPI? Who cares. 720P is enough. Don't we have more important things to worry about, like battery life?
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    07-14-13 02:25 AM
275 ... 678910 ...