Not if it has significant disadvantages, and very few advantages.

The higher resolution is completely wasted. At Retina resolution (1136*640) or 720p on a cellphone screen, you're already past the point where your can differentiate an individual pixel, on the viewing distances we're talking about.

Increasing the resolution to 1920*1080 therefore won't have any practical effects or benefits.

And the downside is vastly increased power consumption and significantly reduced battery life: not only does the screen have a much higher power draw, you also need to put a much more powerful GPU in there to push all those extra pixels (extra pixels YOU CAN'T SEE, mind you!) on to the screen.

The more powerful GPU also uses much more power, even in situations that normally require little power from the CPU/GPU. Basic UI stuff, really.

The end result is like on many Android phones: Despite a huge 2400-2800mw battery, the phone barely gets 4 hours of active usage, and most users will be running out of battery around 4 in the afternoon.

This, combined with the problems of fragmentation, is too high of a price to pay without getting any real benefits for the user.
    That all looks good on paper, but I own a 1080p phone (HTC ONE)and previous to this owned a 720p phone (Lumia 920), and I can absolutely tell the difference.

I would say I would be shocked if BB released their flagship phone with last year's specs, but I'd be lying.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    05-20-13 09:04 AM
    Maybe the difference you see is in the quality of the screen or maybe you have super vision.

I see not point in pushing extra pixels that are not needed and also pissing off all the devs for yet another layer of fragmentation.
    KermEd likes this.
    05-21-13 06:44 AM
    That and the fact that they would be putting out yet another screen resolution. One of the things BBRY is trying to avoid is fragmentation of their devices. That's one of the major factors that made developers abandon ship in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    I'd like a little fragmentation. Particularly if it added support for the Playbook's resolution.
    05-22-13 12:32 AM
    I'd like a little fragmentation. Particularly if it added support for the Playbook's resolution.
    I wouldn't. PB is already added. At the time Alec promised 1024x600 or whatever would be the same resolution as phones and I built with that in mind (which subsequently bit me in the... later).

I'd rather see the PB boosted to 1280x768 or 1280x720 to make life easier.

RIM has already done 5 resolutions including Dev Alpha models. So it can be quite annoying.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 01:33 PM
    I wouldn't. PB is already added. At the time Alec promised 1024x600 or whatever would be the same resolution as phones and I built with that in mind (which subsequently bit me in the... later).

I'd rather see the PB boosted to 1280x768 or 1280x720 to make life easier.
    I'd love to see how Blackberry would release a software update that physically upgrades the Playbook's screen to support higher resolutions.
    05-22-13 02:10 PM
    My two cents...

So many people are speak of the Aristotle as the next flagship. I feel the Blade would be better as a flagship. It would be more innovative than another touch screen phone.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 on Rogers
    05-22-13 02:17 PM
    My two cents...

So many people are speak of the Aristotle as the next flagship. I feel the Blade would be better as a flagship. It would be more innovative than another touch screen phone.

But without the cursor and phone button as BlackBerry completely ditched those

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 02:18 PM
    My two cents...

Also, I can't find the image anymore but I remember it curving inwards and that would be very hard for swiping and all

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 02:20 PM
    My two cents...

There's a fine line between "innovative" and "technically unfeasible"

I'm now going to start blocking people that bring up the Blade concept. I'm sick of explaining why if Blackberry could actually make one, it would be unrecognizeable (maybe a flimsy Torch if we're lucky)
    05-22-13 03:49 PM
    Don't try to compete with hardware specs - compete with better hardware.

The number of Pixels doesn't define how good a screen is. The number of Pixels of the camera sensor doesn't define how good your Pictures taken are. The number of cores on your CPU doesn't tell you how fast a phone is...

BlackBerry should make a flagship device with a great screen, great camera, great battery life and with overall great hardware.

But forget the numbers on the specs sheet. If you like to have a top specs phone and impress your friends with numbers like 1080p, 8-Core, 13MP,... go with Android.

I on my side would like to be impressed with great pictures and a great UI/UX and features that help me through the day. I don't care about numbers.

Posted via CB10
    KarlosSpicyWienr likes this.
    05-22-13 04:23 PM
    Don't try to compete with hardware specs - compete with better hardware.

The number of Pixels doesn't define how good a screen is. The number of Pixels of the camera sensor doesn't define how good your Pictures taken are. The number of cores on your CPU doesn't tell you how fast a phone is...

BlackBerry should make a flagship device with a great screen, great camera, great battery life and with overall great hardware.

But forget the numbers on the specs sheet. If you like to have a top specs phone and impress your friends with numbers like 1080p, 8-Core, 13MP,... go with Android.

I on my side would like to be impressed with great pictures and a great UI/UX and features that help me through the day. I don't care about numbers.

Posted via CB10
    This.

There is no point in comparing hardware specs. Android needs the octa cores and the powerful gpus because the OS is not fully optimized. Ios, wp8 and bb10 dont need them, the os is optimized to use less resources. Agree with the poster above, instead of more megapixels, add a bigger sensor.

Sent from my LT28h using Tapatalk 2
    05-22-13 04:59 PM
    There's a fine line between "innovative" and "technically unfeasible"

I'm now going to start blocking people that bring up the Blade concept. I'm sick of explaining why if Blackberry could actually make one, it would be unrecognizeable (maybe a flimsy Torch if we're lucky)
    You may block me but, aspects maybe technically difficult, but not impossible. Look at all the shapes plastic can be molded into. To shape for the Blade is easy. Curved screen...yes glass only can be flat. There is even new tech for thin batteries with reasonable run times. Making everything fit into such a small footprint would be the real challenge.

05-22-13 05:11 PM
    Consumers do..
    06-23-13 10:57 PM
    Also the link in the OP has the old specs. Crackberry Kevin has said that this 4.65" device was trashed and possibly/probably replaced with a 5" screen. The rest of the rumoured specs are the same or close to it. I think if they are entering the phablet or larger screened phone segment then the choice to go with 5" screen is the right one.

Kick'n it with my Z10. #BB10believe
    06-24-13 04:35 PM
    That and the fact that they would be putting out yet another screen resolution. One of the things BBRY is trying to avoid is fragmentation of their devices. That's one of the major factors that made developers abandon ship in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    If I have to adjust the apps I am writing for another resolution, I am dropping BB10. If I have to write for multiple resolutions, I might as well move to a platform with a lot more users. Also, BB has said that the future all touches are 1280 x 720. So I will only write apps for devices that have 720 as a width. If the mislead developers so soon, I'm think I am outta here.
    06-24-13 07:33 PM
    If I have to adjust the apps I am writing for another resolution, I am dropping BB10. If I have to write for multiple resolutions, I might as well move to a platform with a lot more users. Also, BB has said that the future all touches are 1280 x 720. So I will only write apps for devices that have 720 as a width. If the mislead developers so soon, I'm think I am outta here.
    *yawn*

What App did you publish again?

Posted via CB10
    06-24-13 07:53 PM
    *yawn*

What App did you publish again?

Posted via CB10
    You know.. It you were actually a developer, you might have some understanding of the issues that developers have to deal with. But you have no clue.

I know you want an Aristo with 1080p and no apps. That will certainly sell won't it. No BB10 apps will be able to run on a 1080p without developers having to change their app.
    06-24-13 08:07 PM
    You know.. It you were actually a developer, you might have some understanding of the issues that developers have to deal with. But you have no clue.

I know you want an Aristo with 1080p and no apps. That will certainly sell won't it. No BB10 apps will be able to run on a 1080p without developers having to change their app.
    So what platform are you going to where they have less number of resolutions than BB? If you say iOS, as a developer I'd assume you'd make apps for the platform with the most users.

Or are you going to Android where they have 1080p screens?

So tell me again, where would you be moving to?
    06-24-13 08:20 PM
    So what platform are you going to where they have less number of resolutions than BB? If you say iOS, as a developer I'd assume you'd make apps for the platform with the most users.

Or are you going to Android where they have 1080p screens?

So tell me again, where would you be moving to?
    Easy answer, if BB10 has as many resolutions as iOS, WP or Android and as much work to support them, why would any developer pick the platform with the least amount of users? So the answer is anything but BB10.
    06-24-13 08:38 PM
    Easy answer, if BB10 has as many resolutions as iOS, WP or Android and as much work to support them, why would any developer pick the platform with the least amount of users? So the answer is anything but BB10.
    Did you publish apps at BlackBerry World?
    The last time you said no.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-13 08:52 PM
    Bluenoser is absolutely right, there's no reason to dog on him like that.

That would be a thoroughly powerful kick in the balls to him and many other developers.

And who are you to say *yawn* to him and ask what application he has developed? What apps have YOU developed? Anybody coding native BB10 apps is good in my book - even if i don't care about the app, there's going to be someone that does. The users of crackberry don't need to push him away, and neither does BB. I've explained before why 1080P on phones is POINTLESS. It's for nothing but bragging rights, much like having 1243324523216534636234242 apps in your app store, and half of them can give your picture a mustache.

Show me someone that can tell the difference between compressed 1080p and 720p on a 5 inch screen... I'm waiting. While you're at it, find me a phone that can handle uncompressed 1080p. a 16gb sd card might get you about a minute long video. Nice!
    richardat and Bluenoser63 like this.
    06-24-13 08:52 PM
    Bluenoser is absolutely right, there's no reason to dog on him like that.

That would be a thoroughly powerful kick in the balls to him and many other developers.

And who are you to say *yawn* to him and ask what application he has developed? What apps have YOU developed? Anybody coding native BB10 apps is good in my book - even if i don't care about the app, there's going to be someone that does. The users of crackberry don't need to push him away, and neither does BB. I've explained before why 1080P on phones is POINTLESS. It's for nothing but bragging rights, much like having 1243324523216534636234242 apps in your app store, and half of them can give your picture a mustache.

Show me someone that can tell the difference between compressed 1080p and 720p on a 5 inch screen... I'm waiting. While you're at it, find me a phone that can handle uncompressed 1080p. a 16gb sd card might get you about a minute long video. Nice!
    There are 5 different threads on the Aristo, and I don't want to repeat everything all over again.

The point is, that an elevated price tag, needs something to justify it.
    Right now, BB10 alone is not it.

When the A10 comes out, the HTC One will be significantly cheaper than it is now, and will have better specs than the A10, with an excellent build quality.

I could even get a 280$ Android phone with a 1080p screen on it and a quadcore....

I am not in the market for an Android phone though, so for me, this is a moot point.
    BlackBerry wants to compete against the S4/HTC One though, so to entice more customers from other platforms, they should at least try to match current specs.

The App gap is one of the biggest problems for the BB10 platform right now, and every good app is important.
    But WP will support 1080p displays next year, and Android will have multiple devices shipped with it by the end of the year.
    The only platform, not having said anything about 1080p support, is BlackBerry.

Apple doesn't produce big smartphones as of now, so they can be left out in this comparison.

We can pretty much assume, that 1080p will come to future BlackBerry devices anyhow.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-13 09:15 PM
    If the Os could properly scale to fit the larger resolution panel, then we are not having this discussion. Only time would tell.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-13 09:21 PM
    The App gap is one of the biggest problems for the BB10 platform right now, and every good app is important.
    And another screen resolution will be another barrier to good apps.
    06-24-13 09:25 PM
    If the Os could properly scale to fit the larger resolution panel, then we are not having this discussion. Only time would tell.

Posted via CB10
    If the A10 comes with 1080 and the OS scales the app, then users will complain that the apps look terrible. But the documentation for handling different screen resolutions show that developers will have to create separate assets for all the resolutions. Icons, background, QML files, etc are all going to be created and tested.
    06-24-13 09:32 PM
57 123