Z30 running 10.3.1.1784. My internal GPS is hardly working at all. Was using it today for GPS didn't work. Did a hard reset and it worked for a little while then stopped again. Hard reset a couple more times and couldn't get it to work. Now when using Waze (Android versio) with my AppRadio which has a GPS antenna and uses it with the app, it works just fine but it looks like the internal one in the phone is very flaky with the last update based on my experience today. Tried BlackBerry maps and it didn't work and ran BBVE to test the GPS and it came back as fail too.

Anyone else having problems with reliable GPS operation since going to 10.3.1 on the Z30 or heard of this before and a fix?

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 03:07 PM
    I would reboot it again if you haven't before running the test.

It could be that different apps are vying for the gps. Even when you close some Android apps they continue to run. I used Task manager by bytehamster to really close them down.
    lnichols likes this.
    03-28-15 04:18 PM
    I would reboot it again if you haven't before running the test.

It could be that different apps are vying for the gps. Even when you close some Android apps they continue to run. I used Task manager by bytehamster to really close them down.
    Wow loaded up the task manager and I'm amazed how those Android apps just load themselves, run and grab resources. I deleted Points, it's pretty useless anyway, and that might have fixed things up. Might be deleting some more Android apps too. These apps shouldn't be able to run until I open them.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 06:28 PM
    Wow loaded up the task manager and I'm amazed how those Android apps just load themselves, run and grab resources. I deleted Points, it's pretty useless anyway, and that might have fixed things up. Might be deleting some more Android apps too. These apps shouldn't be able to run until I open them.

Posted via CB10
    Some of them will pop back up after closed. If you press/hold on an app, a Settings option shows up. Press it and then do Force Close. It generally kills them for a longer period but some might still run again.

But, did it help your gps problem?
    03-28-15 06:45 PM

Posted via CB10
    These are android processes and services being run by these apps, not the apps themselves. Typical Android. You're not really supposed to be able to turn these off. Here is what is running on my device in the background right now as an example:

Anyone having GPS issues 10.3.1?-img_20150328_195115_edit.png

Get Cobalt's "android settings" app. Very informative.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    03-28-15 06:55 PM
    These are android processes and services being run by these apps, not the apps themselves. Typical Android. You're not really supposed to be able to turn these off. Here is what is running on my device in the background right now as an example:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150328_195115_edit.png 
Views:	469 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	344348

Get Cobalt's "android settings" app. Very informative.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    Yeah Poynt was starting and grabbing the GPS. It's gone and the location icon isn't showing up light grey beside the Bluetooth icon like it was. Guessing I'll be getting some better battery life now too.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 07:17 PM
    Are BB maps really using GPS technology? GPS doesn't need wifi or cellular data to operate... BB Maps does.
    I'm not sure if this atypical to BB or not. Can anyone comment on whether other platforms are true GPS?

IMO, this isn't a GPS service... It's more like a cellular triangulation service.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 08:18 PM
    Data is to download business info, maps, and roads. GPS is for your location.

It is true GPS, accurate to roughly 3 meters.

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    03-28-15 08:20 PM
    If it's true GPS, why does it rely on cellular or wifi data?

My 7 year old Garmin doesn't need any data services to work...

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 08:23 PM

Posted via CB10
    Obviously. The entire map database is preloaded in a garmin. There are similar apps available for mobile devices too - but that's not how most of them work.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    03-28-15 08:27 PM
    Why can't maps be preloaded into the map app?

If a 7 year old Garmin GPS can do it, why can't a smartphone?

If data services are turned off on an Android or iPhone, will the maps app still work?

Either way, I'm very disappointed that it's been at least 8 months since the last BB maps update.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 08:32 PM
    Why can't maps be preloaded into the map app?

If a 7 year old Garmin GPS can do it, why can't a smartphone?

If data services are turned off on an Android or iPhone, will the maps app still work?

Either way, I'm very disappointed that it's been at least 8 months since the last BB maps update.

Posted via CB10
    Because data is cheap and it's nice to have up to date map information.

If you are concerned about it, there are a number of other map apps out there that pre-load. Try Mireo Don't Panic in bbw.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    03-28-15 08:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    The GPS data doesn't rely on data to operate, but apps like Maps need the data to pull in the maps and finding addresses does require the data. Mireo keeps the map and POI data in the device, so it only needs GPS and no data.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 08:46 PM
    Will those maps work without data services? I travel to remote areas without cellular data which is why i still use my ancient Garmin. It would be really nice to drop the Garmin brick and use my Z30. But my 7 year old Garmin even without a map update in 5 years still destroys the BB Map app.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 08:47 PM
    Will those maps work without data services? I travel to remote areas without cellular data which is why i still use my ancient Garmin. It would be really nice to drop the Garmin brick and use my Z30. But my 7 year old Garmin even without a map update in 5 years still destroys the BB Map app.

Posted via CB10
    Mireo works without data, yes.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    03-28-15 08:53 PM