12-22-13 12:16 AM
44 12
tools
    4GLTE/4G/LTE Are all the same speed.

My Z10 on EE (UK) shows 4GLTE on my current leak but EE markets it as 4G

Posted Via CB10 running OS 10.2.1.1055
    12-17-13 06:07 PM
    I have two BB10 devices; one is for work (Bell) and one is personal (Rogers). Both on 10.2. Bell says 4GLTE, Rogers says LTE. It seems to me like the networks get to decide how to brand it.

"4G" is a marketing term, not an actual technology, and there are at least two technologies in North America that carriers were marketing as "fourth generation". LTE and HSPA+. (I don't think WiMax is common, so let's leave it out).

So the carriers using the "4G" term to refer to HSPA+, because they didn't want to seem inferior (ATT) to carriers with faster LTE networks (Verizon) are probably to blame for this confusing mess.

In summary, 4GLTE is LTE, 4G is LTE, and HSPA+ is 4G too, and all of us are left with a headache. Hooray for marketing-speak!
    12-17-13 06:48 PM
    I have two BB10 devices; one is for work (Bell) and one is personal (Rogers). Both on 10.2. Bell says 4GLTE, Rogers says LTE. It seems to me like the networks get to decide how to brand it.

"4G" is a marketing term, not an actual technology, and there are at least two technologies in North America that carriers were marketing as "fourth generation". LTE and HSPA+. (I don't think WiMax is common, so let's leave it out).

So the carriers using the "4G" term to refer to HSPA+, because they didn't want to seem inferior (ATT) to carriers with faster LTE networks (Verizon) are probably to blame for this confusing mess.

In summary, 4GLTE is LTE, 4G is LTE, and HSPA+ is 4G too, and all of us are left with a headache. Hooray for marketing-speak!
    No doubt it's just branding. Found it interesting that it was changed today

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 08:41 PM
    Def makes more sense now. Previously when I'd lose LTE it would display 4G which was pretty much dill LTE. Now when I lose my 4GLTE signal is displays 3G.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 08:21 AM
    on Rogers, still just says LTE
    12-18-13 08:50 AM
    on Rogers, still just says LTE
    Where do you live. I'm in toronto and Hamilton area. Both shows 4GLTE

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 05:56 PM
    I'm on rogers and currently in kw area and it was showing just LTE for me

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 06:12 PM
    Yes, most of the time on Rogers BC net.

My Z30 to CB10
    12-18-13 06:47 PM

If they are all the same why did my official rogers OS drop from LTE to 4G when making phone calls? And then once disconnected from the call it went back to LTE. Now however while running 10.2.1.1055 it says 4GLTE and doesn't go to 4G for calls it stays as 4GLTE...and I could be wrong but it seems to connect faster....

None the less frigging confusing...

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 07:07 PM
    Mine is just LTE with rogers

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 07:19 PM
    This is interesting. Mine shows one or the other but never both and I'm on Rogers

ZeD30 on CB10
    12-19-13 06:57 PM
    Maybe Rogers releases a new super ultra fast Internet just for its customers . 4GLTE > LTE

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 07:03 PM
    4G is HSPA I'm pretty sure. LTE is true LTE.

4G and LTE are not the same. If 4G and LTE were the same we wouldn't have the 3G/4G radio option and the LTE radio option separate.
    12-19-13 07:04 PM
    Mine says 4glte

Posted on my Z30 on CB10.
    12-19-13 08:05 PM
    And so is my mayor. I think you should read others replies before hitting the pipe yourself

Posted via CB10
    Hahaha. Good one. I'm on Rogers and mine still says LTE. When I switch to my T-Mobile SIM down in the States it says 4GLTE.

I'm in the GTA.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 09:06 AM
    Have it all the time on Telus in the GTA Toronto area

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 01:55 PM
    Just a reminder for folks, according to all advertisers and whatnot, 4G can refer to both HSPA+ (primarily HSPA-DC) and LTE. However, LTE is always displayed with LTE somewhere in the branding. So 4GLTE that people are seeing is not a combination or improvement, but rather just a change in how Rogers (or maybe everything from 10.2.1 and newer) is displaying LTE coverage on devices.

I'm sure this is all repeat and common knowledge for most of you, but for others... when I make a call on my Telus device, my display goes from being 4GLTE to H as currently LTE does not have a voice protocol to use in Canada, letting me more accurately know that I am no longer going to have LTE speeds while I am on the phone. As well, if I go into my network settings, I don't have the 4G/3G/2G options. My options are LTE/HSPA/UMTS/GSM/GPRS. Sounds like these are just little tweaks the different operators have put into the OS.

Someone alluded to something that may be the cause, one of you guys noted that you are on 10.2.1. Perhaps this is something coming to standardise things going forward? If anyone else who has seen the change from just LTE to 4GLTE could pipe in and state which version of the OS they are running, be it official release or leaked and what leak they're on?

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    12-21-13 08:28 PM
    This will probably confuse a lot of people but I thought I'd share it anyway.

HSPA+ was only marketed in North America as 4G and the first few iteration of LTE did not qualify as 4G. The standard is set by the International Telecommunication Union, an agency under the United Nations. They later reversed their decision in 2010 to include HSPA+ and LTE under the 4G definition. LTE-Advance was to be named true 4G as it met all the necessary criteria. One that stands out is being capable of reaching speeds upwwards of 1Gb/s. HSPA was actually called 3.5G which was also marketed as such, HSPA+ was 3.7G. LTE was actually 3.9G. Considered as Pre-4G technology before the reversal. But marketing them as 4G sounds better than calling LTE 3.9G.

4G and LTE are not the same. If 4G and LTE were the same we wouldn't have the 3G/4G radio option and the LTE radio option separate.
    as defined by the ITU. HSPA+ and LTE are now considered as 4G. They're just not compatible with each other hence the need for different frequency, radio and chipset. 4G just stands for 4th generation. It's not a name. As such carriers can label both HSPA+ and LTE as 4G but that would cause confusion as evidences has shown in this thread alone.
    12-21-13 10:51 PM
    In travelling hell right now, but in Toronto Friday afternoon was still LTE Rogers. Same in Winnipeg yesterday and Calgary right now. Will find out about Kelowna next!

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 12:16 AM
44 12