08-10-13 02:34 PM
47 12
tools
    We can wish all we want and hope it becomes truth, but all have to wait, see and then decide...

From the Z...
    08-08-13 05:05 PM
    According to your logic, the more PPI the better the screen, so which one you think is better the Q10 Amoled screen at 330 PPI, the Z10 lcd at 356 PPI or the iPhone 5 lcd at 326 PPI or the HTC ONE X at 312 PPI?

Is all about sub pixels and screen technology.

PS : of all mentioned devices above the HTC ONE X is the king
    08-08-13 05:32 PM
    The Galaxy S3 was 306, the iPhone 5 is 326, and you can definitely make out the difference between the S3 and the iPhone 5 when you look at text. So more PPI is obviously better. Nobody should be able to discern individual pixels on a smart phone these days, especially not on a flag ship device. So 295 PPI is just a little bit disappointing IMHO.
    Mate. Do you know that simple things like typography are more important than a slight DPI increase? the iPhone, with 326dpi has less legible text compared to devices that feature a lower DPI but superior default font.

But honestly - if you're concerned over 5 PPI (the difference between 295ppi and 300ppi), maybe you should look elsewhere for a Smart Phone.

For me, I'm FAR more interested in a device that lets me get things done, and looks great while doing so. The BlackBerry 10 operating system trumps all other specs for me. It's the game changer. It's the winner. It's the draw card. And you know what? 295ppi is pretty good. How about you wait until you see the device, use the device, assess the battery life, the performance as a whole - before you complain about 5 pixels.

Seriously - people who have never used the A10, discounting a phone over specs on paper. It's like bagging a Maybach because it's heavier than a Ford. Give it time. Give it a try. Try to be a little more open minded
    ubizmo and Cesare21 like this.
    08-08-13 06:45 PM
    Interesting batch of comments.

I'm glad that marketing specs dominate the market, as it shows people are ready to buy anything that's apparently bigger / better on paper. More power to their elbows... they end up with Betamaxes (for those who remember).

I'd argue that the more discerning consumer would choose with recourse to more important criteria: ergonomics, usability, compatibility, construction and expansion. All those prompted several commentators on CB to eschew the iOS or Android platforms in favor of the BB10 choices.

I could pretend to be bothered about the A10/Z30's specs, but I'm not, since I don't regard them as that important. A higher dpi screen is not really an issue for me, since the screens are all pretty good right now. Professing to know how far away a device is held by a user per device without evidence in the former of observed or measured research is also utter rubbish.

Likewise, increasing megapixel count on a smartphone's minuscule light (CCD)sensor tends to negatively affect low light performance and noise control (more receptors per square inch lead to increased false positives under low lumen situations). I have a professional Nikon D3 camera with a 12.2 megapixel CCD that will outperform all smartphone cameras with a higher megapixel count and some DSLRs too..

The ones who rant about specs might need to wear them...

Z10-4 .4687 via CB10
    ubizmo and higherdestiny like this.
    08-08-13 08:01 PM
    The ones who rant about specs might need to wear them...
    Winner. Comment of the day.
    gen_accident likes this.
    08-08-13 10:26 PM
    Now I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this ppi stuff but we've been watching TV in 720p for years and it looks great. Why does every one get so caught up with screen resolutions and ppi on a little screen that's 5 inches such as the z30 or any other smartphone.

Posted via CB10
    ealvnv likes this.
    08-08-13 10:31 PM
    Now I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this ppi stuff but we've been watching TV in 720p for years and it looks great. Why does every one get so caught up with screen resolutions and ppi on a little screen that's 5 inches such as the z30 or any other smartphone.

Posted via CB10
    Because you hold that five inch phone closer than you watch the TV.

The fact that some people want it and can notice the difference does mean that it is an important specification to them and it is, in fact, within the limit of human vision to notice the difference.

There are hints of 4k displays showing up on cellphones in the next several years, even. That might actually not be very worthwhile.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4
    08-08-13 10:39 PM
    Why wait when we can complain about it right now? Gah.

Posted via CB10
    I agree. Ya think people get paid to complain. They'd be rich!!
    Look at it this way. If I based my opinion on a person BEFORE I met them, that's called a prejudice.
    Check the phone out with you own eyes.... then you have the right to complain.

From Zed to U via CB10
    08-08-13 11:02 PM
    I certainly can tell the difference, however slight it may be, between 306 and 326 when I lie down at night on my bed and stare at my phone 6" from my face. 295 will definitely be noticeable to people used to high res screens.
    I agree. The A10's PPI count is about the same as the Bold 9900/9930, and I could see pixels in that screen. It will be more exaggerated on the A10 since the whole device will be screen.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 11:10 PM
    I agree. Ya think people get paid to complain. They'd be rich!!
    Look at it this way. If I based my opinion on a person BEFORE I met them, that's called a prejudice.
    Check the phone out with you own eyes.... then you have the right to complain.

From Zed to U via CB10
    Wow, it is a real good thing that consumers didn't treat the Xbox One the way you think people on CB should be treating the Z30.

In case you're not aware, the Xbox One was announced with loads of anti-consumer features, such as always online and no trading in of game disks. The intelligent consumers complained. Thankfully, a lot of them complained. I still seen plenty of Xbox fanboys defending all of the horrible decisions Microsoft were making, but surprisingly, the complainers out numbered the fanboys and Microsoft did a complete 180 and removed the features that people hated.

People complaining about the Xbox One before its release caused Microsoft to create a better product. Which kind of proves that complaining and whining can be more helpful than just waiting till you have the latest DOA product in your hands.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    ajst222 and rnhld like this.
    08-08-13 11:13 PM
    I certainly can tell the difference, however slight it may be, between 306 and 326 when I lie down at night on my bed and stare at my phone 6" from my face. 295 will definitely be noticeable to people used to high res screens.
    You think you can tell the diff. Its because you already know the ppi for each phone.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 11:57 PM
    Wow, it is a real good thing that consumers didn't treat the Xbox One the way you think people on CB should be treating the Z30.

In case you're not aware, the Xbox One was announced with loads of anti-consumer features, such as always online and no trading in of game disks. The intelligent consumers complained. Thankfully, a lot of them complained. I still seen plenty of Xbox fanboys defending all of the horrible decisions Microsoft were making, but surprisingly, the complainers out numbered the fanboys and Microsoft did a complete 180 and removed the features that people hated.

People complaining about the Xbox One before its release caused Microsoft to create a better product. Which kind of proves that complaining and whining can be more helpful than just waiting till you have the latest DOA product in your hands.

Software changes, not hardware...

From Zed to U via CB10
    redk likes this.
    08-09-13 12:14 AM

I had a dream once that Software Updates changed the Hardware of the device.

My Tech-Fleet: Q10; Z10; PlayBook; Surface Pro; Xbox 360; HP TouchPad; iPod Touch 5
    08-09-13 09:18 AM
    and i'm sorry to say what most peopel think is pixel density is probably color rendition and contrast, even sharpness not exactly pixel density. can you really tell a difference between 1080p on a 42" tv or 1080p on a 52" tv. really the only time you can is when you're sittign to close maybe like 3 -4 feet away
    Whether or not you can make out the pixels depends on how close you are to the screen. When the TV is 8-10 feet away, of course nobody sees pixels, except your 2 year old kid watching cartoons 2 feet from the screen. On a smartphone it is definitely noticeable. Also have you ever looked at a Nokia Lumia 900 phone? Nokia touted the screen on it, its clear black, high contrast blah blah technology. But at the end of the day that phone was only 217 pi and text look :yack: on that phone. No amount of technology will make up for lack of resolution when it comes to reading text.

For people that don't think you can make out the difference in pixels, open the full version of the New York Times homepage on a sub-300 pixel phone and one that is well over 300. Look at the smallest text and tell me they look the same. They don't. The text looks all jagged on the non high res screen.

I am going to venture a guess and assume that the people that say that high resolution screens don't matter haven't used one for a prolonged period yet. Use a retina MacBook laptop or iPad for an extended period of time....you will never look at another electronic screen the same way.
    08-09-13 09:34 AM
    I had a dream once that Software Updates changed the Hardware of the device.

My Tech-Fleet: Q10; Z10; PlayBook; Surface Pro; Xbox 360; HP TouchPad; iPod Touch 5
    You do realize that BlackBerry was testing multiple hardware versions of this phone right? From what I heard, they had four different versions of the A10.

Have a dream that all of the complaining causes BlackBerry to choose the version that has good hardware instead of sticking with the version we've heard the most about. You know, the version that the majority of people on CB has said they won't be buying because it is basically a Z10 with a larger, uglier screen.

Or just continue to miss my point while trying to make smart sounding comments.

The fact of the matter is, complaining helped Microsoft. Being good, religous followers of Microsoft that swallowed up anything they offered would have only hurt them in the end.

Complaining about BlackBerry's latest flop before it is released is still more helpful than just letting them make another huge mistake without even trying to show them that this isn't what we want. The Z30 hasn't released yet so there is still time. Sadly, I don't think BlackBerry cares about what we want.

I'd rather see them stop everything they are doing right now, delay the phone, and take the time required to change the hardware, instead of releasing another phone that won't sell in the numbers that BlackBerry needs.

The Z30 as is currently rumoured is a very minor refresh of another phone that hasn't sold well. If the Z10 isn't selling, why would adding .8" worth of uglier screen real-estate and removing the user replaceable battery cause the Z30 to fly off shelves? It won't, the Z30 as currently rumoured will probably sell even worst than the Z10 did.

Oh well, at least I can say I tried to help them out.

Edit:

By the way, I noticed that you are a Xbox 360 owner. I'm curious if you complained about the Xbox One's anti-consumer features or if you just happily accepted them.

I was surprised by how many people actually defended the Xbox One while calling the complainers "trolls". Now the fanboys will enjoy their Xbox One even more, thanks to the work of the so-called trolls

Last edited by Saiga; 08-09-13 at 10:01 AM.
    ajst222 likes this.
    08-09-13 09:49 AM
    According to your logic, the more PPI the better the screen, so which one you think is better the Q10 Amoled screen at 330 PPI, the Z10 lcd at 356 PPI or the iPhone 5 lcd at 326 PPI or the HTC ONE X at 312 PPI?

Is all about sub pixels and screen technology.

PS : of all mentioned devices above the HTC ONE X is the king
    You left out the ones with > 400 ppi like the Droid DNA, which to me is better than the One X, the iPhone 5, and the Z10. I have yet to see a Q10 in person so can't comment on that though.
    08-09-13 01:15 PM
    You think you can tell the diff. Its because you already know the ppi for each phone.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think that's the case or that it's psychological. When I got my Retina iPad (/new iPad, whatever) I had assumed it was exactly the same pixel density as the Retina iPhone 4/4S/5 but noticed it seemed less sharp - particularly when viewing photographs and fine print - than the iPhone 5. Sometime later I found out that it was more like 250 ppi - but long after I noticed it not being as sharp.
    08-09-13 01:18 PM
    You left out the ones with > 400 ppi like the Droid DNA, which to me is better than the One X, the iPhone 5, and the Z10. I have yet to see a Q10 in person so can't comment on that though.
    My point is that more PPI doesn't necessarily means better screens, in case you didn't get it
    08-09-13 03:59 PM
    I don't think that's the case or that it's psychological. When I got my Retina iPad (/new iPad, whatever) I had assumed it was exactly the same pixel density as the Retina iPhone 4/4S/5 but noticed it seemed less sharp - particularly when viewing photographs and fine print - than the iPhone 5. Sometime later I found out that it was more like 250 ppi - but long after I noticed it not being as sharp.

My point is that more PPI doesn't necessarily means better screens, in case you didn't get it
    It doesn't necessarily mean worse, too. Subpixel arrangement doesn't have that much of an impact on the MTF, and the term "better" is a bit ambiguous. In terms of how small of text is still readable on a display, ppi has a much larger impact than variation in the Subpixel arrangement

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4
    08-09-13 04:04 PM
    Totally irrelevant. Don't bring tablets and laptops into the discussion. You hold those devices much farther away from your face. Not all PPI/Retina is the same. It depends on the viewing distance. A flagship smartphone should be well over 300 ppi. Period.
    Have you seen the Galaxy Note 2? Looks just fine with it's 5.5 inch 720p screen. It's very nice.

1080 is going to be overkill on the Note 3. Don't expect it on the Z30, especially with it's 5 inch screen.
    08-09-13 06:05 PM
    The op is right. From a technical aspect, ppi is not everything. The problem is consumers (you know, the folks that has the money thing) buy based on what the salesperson says has the best specs. Specs sell, not common sense.

So having said that, what should BBRY do?

Posted via the Super BlackBerry Z10
    08-10-13 12:59 PM
    They should launch the Z30 as planned but at a more aggressive price point and also lower prices of the other BB10 models. They need higher volume sales or the apps won't come

Without key apps, and with weak specs, the Z30 will flop very badly if priced at flagship levels
    The op is right. From a technical aspect, ppi is not everything. The problem is consumers (you know, the folks that has the money thing) buy based on what the salesperson says has the best specs. Specs sell, not common sense.

So having said that, what should BBRY do?

Posted via the Super BlackBerry Z10
    08-10-13 02:34 PM
47 12