I've been immersed in the Android world for about 7 years. My first "smartphone" was the Samsung Instinct that released in 2007 and ever since then I have either had a Samsung or HTC Android device. Around September of last year I was using a Samsung Galaxy SIII and was having all sorts of issues with it and was nowhere near my upgrade date, but I needed a new phone and started my research. My choices came down to the HTC One M7, LG G2, Motorola Droid MAXX, and Blackberry Z30. I really wanted the Z30 after seeing pictures of it and reading about it, but was also unsure of moving from Android. After about two months of contemplating which phone I wanted I decided on the Z30. I went to the Verizon store (Verizon owned, not an independent store) and inquired about getting a Z30 and was given the typical response of "Blackberry is bankrupt and going out of business and we don't carry the phone in store." I politely let the sales clerk know his information was not completely accurate and he was actually cool and looked it up and even told his manager they had been giving out incorrect info about the Blackberry phones. I live in the rural Southeast, but apparently they had had several people coming in asking about the Blackberry line which kind of surprised me. The sales rep and I talked for a while longer while I told him what all I was looking for in a phone and he talked me into an HTC One after letting me play around with his personal One.

Fast forward to February and while I like the HTC One much better than the Samsung, I was never completely happy with it. Finally in March I convinced myself (and my wife) to order a Blackberry from Swappa. The person I purchased it from said he bought it for his wife and she used it for about 2 weeks and wanted to go back to her iPhone. I got it and the phone was exactly as he described it, mint condition and looked like it had been barely used. I swapped my sim card over from my HTC and I haven't looked back since.

It took about a week to get used to swiping instead of using dedicated back and home keys, but now it is completely natural and I try to swipe whenever I am using another phone, like my wife's SIII, and it irritates me that I can't. The battery life is absolutely amazing. I am pretty heavy user on most days. I do a lot of texting, lot of facebook and facebook messenger, around 200 or so e-mails throughout the day, the Crackberry App is typically always open along with one or two other apps, and I have several calls throughout the day. The least amount of time I have gotten out of my battery since I got it was 17 hours and that was the first couple of days I had the phone, while I was setting everything up. I typically take my phone off of the charger around 6 a.m. and put it back on the charger around 11 p.m. and still have between 20-30% battery when I plug it up most nights.

After using this phone for a little over a month, I love pretty much everything about it, though I do have a couple of gripes.

One is the Facebook app sucks. Even after the most recent upgrade, the app doesn't show but a few recent posts and most are 3-4 hours old at newest, but if I go in the browser it shows many more newer posts. Also it would be nice if Facebook Messenger had the smileys/stickers available that Android does.

Another things is the speaker volume when on speaker phone in calls is kind of low. Due to my job I use the speaker phone quite frequently and most times have to ask the person on the other end of the line to almost yell so I can hear them. If I take it off speaker phone and hold it to my ear I can hear them fine and the speakers are super loud and clear for music, it just seems to be an in call issue. I've tried all of the tips and tricks I could find, but so far it hasn't improved greatly. I just ordered a bluetooth headset yesterday, so hopefully that will alleviate this problem.

Another thing is deleting items from the hub deletes them from the server, even though I have it set to only delete from the hub in the hub settings. This is mainly with my gmail accounts. Fortunately it only deletes them from the main inbox and the items are still saved in the All Mail folder that Gmail has, so I haven't completely lost anything yet.

The last gripe I have, and this isn't a gripe about this phone, its a gripe about Blackberry Link, is that there is no support for Linux. I'm a Server/Systems Administrator and do the majority of my work in Linux, so it would be nice to have native support for it.

All in all this is hands down the best phone I have ever owned and will be (or hope to be) purchasing my wife one when her contract comes due for an upgrade in the next couple of months. I wanted to get everyone at work Z30's as our contracts came up for upgrade, but being that I work for a state agency they wouldn't allow us to pay the $99 upgrade fee, but we are getting Q10's and Z10's depending on users' preferences.

Also I guess I should say that I'm running OS 10.2.1.2228 with radio 10.2.1.2229.

Hope this review helped anyone that is one the fence about getting Z30. I would strongly encourage you to get one.
    05-04-14 12:48 PM
    Always nice hearing another BB success story. Thanks for the post, and welcome to CrackBerry!
    maakshif likes this.
    05-04-14 01:06 PM
    Also it would be nice if Facebook Messenger had the smileys/stickers available...
    Messenger for Facebook by Nemory Studios.

Another things is the speaker volume when on speaker phone in calls is kind of low.
    I'll test the subjectivity of this within two hours...

Another thing is deleting items from the hub deletes them from the server, even though I have it set to only delete from the hub in the hub settings.
    Deleting single messages adheres to the Handheld Only setting. Deleting multiple selections appears to delete from Handheld and Server regardless.

Black[B]erry Link...no support for Linux.
    This is something that I have been requesting for eight years with nothing to show for it. However, Link does work (for the most part) within VirtualBox on a Linux host with a Windows guest OS.

SQN100-1 10.2.1.2947 | STA100-3 10.2.1.2947
    maakshif likes this.
    05-04-14 01:19 PM
    Messenger for Facebook by Nemory Studios.
    Thanks I'll give this one a try.

I'll test the subjectivity of this within two hours...
    It very well could be my phone and hopefully the headset I ordered will make this a non-issue for me

Deleting single messages adheres to the Handheld Only setting. Deleting multiple selections appears to delete from Handheld and Server regardless.
    Ahh, that would explain it. Do you know if this is tied directly to messages in an inbox or If I move them into folders before deleting from the hub would it still remove the messages from the server? I get so many messages and notifications, it would take way too long to delete them one by one.

This is something that I have been requesting for eight years with nothing to show for it. However, Link does work (for the most part) within VirtualBox on a Linux host with a Windows guest OS.

SQN100-1 10.2.1.2947 | STA100-3 10.2.1.2947
    That is actually what I ended up doing. I tried installing it with Wine, but it was not a success. Which Wine is quirky as it is.
    05-04-14 01:43 PM
    Great review of the Z30. I had to lol at the part where you told about going into your local VZW store. I live in South MS, and had the exact same experience when I asked to see the Z30. Good luck with your BlackBerry Z30.

Doc
    05-05-14 01:11 AM