Whether the name turns out to be a good one or not will depend on how they name subsequent devices, jumping up to z30 will be fine if it allows them to name the smaller all-touches z15, z20 and z25 (or even smaller increments) and the larger all-touch start from z30 onwards, but if they go and name the next one another random number and/or letter combination then it will seem to be a stupid name.
    10-11-13 09:04 AM
    Talking able a next device is abit hopeful with the current state of things, no?

Posted via CB10
    10-11-13 10:48 AM
    Wtf...is it a pet or what?
    Is a dang phone loool
    10-11-13 11:02 AM
    Wtf...is it a pet or what?
    Is a dang phone loool
    Lol. No but it's a marketing thing. The name of a device is a big part of marketing it. A10 sounds better than Z30 IMO. Of course marketing not being BlackBerry forte.
    DS1331 and LtHavoc21 like this.
    10-11-13 11:24 AM
    Wow I haven't been here in a long time...
    Am I the only one who thinks Z30 is a horrible name?-3oc09m.jpg

Yes my name is stupid I know, I created an account here when I was like 11-12(I was bored and hungry and coincidently I released gas(yes I have memory of that day because it was unusual)).

The Gamer's Network- C00015A3 || From my Z on .1047
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-14-13 12:36 PM
    I know it's not only me because even my friends hate it - who have Z10s and iPhones. I think X10 would have been a much cooler name.

Didn't sony name a phone x10?

Posted via CB10
    acecard likes this.
    10-14-13 12:40 PM
    I guess they did that to simplify it for consumers. A non-blackberry user would get confused if each phone had its own letter. The q5 and the q10 are essentially the same for a consumer therefore they used the same letter and just lowered the number to indicate it's lower end.

It would have made sense to call it the Z20 to go with their theme of multiplying the higher end phone by 2 but it's all the same.

Doesn't matter what it's called, in the end all you see is "blackberry" above the bezel anyways.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 01:16 PM
    Didn't sony name a phone x10?

Posted via CB10
    Just Googled it, yes they did. It was just a suggestion

10-14-13 01:58 PM
    I guess they did that to simplify it for consumers. A non-blackberry user would get confused if each phone had its own letter. The q5 and the q10 are essentially the same for a consumer therefore they used the same letter and just lowered the number to indicate it's lower end.

It would have made sense to call it the Z20 to go with their theme of multiplying the higher end phone by 2 but it's all the same.

Doesn't matter what it's called, in the end all you see is "blackberry" above the bezel anyways.

Posted via CB10
    I agree but sometimes it does matter what's it's called, for marketing purposes. My friends would certainly not buy a phone with that type of name but it's their opinion

10-14-13 01:59 PM
    I totally agree. I mean come on, Z30?! I do a lot of business with automotive manufacturing. We come up with codes for prototypes and engineering changes. We can come up with better code names than that!! Whoever came up with that should be fired! Plus I'm sure Mr. Heins was ok with that? Come on BlackBerry!

Here are my thoughts. the Z10 was overall a great device, but it did get banged for a few things by the consumers. My company uses Z10s, A Lot of my coworkers don't like the Z10 for several reason. Issues with random reboots, horrible battery life, slow updates, ect. Now having the name of Z30, their first impression is "oh just a bigger Z10, not interested ". Instead of having a bigger battery and great sound with 10.2. I love my Z10 and have no issues with it. But since they took the name Z30, I will not forgive BlackBerry for closing that name unless I see a crap load of advertising about the Z30's improved battery and performance with the new 10.2 OS. A10 should have been it's name tho. Thanks for letting me vent.

Posted via BlackBerry Z10
    10-14-13 03:50 PM
    I don't know, the name is growing on me

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bobert_123; 10-18-13 at 04:20 PM.
    10-14-13 04:30 PM
    I have always noticed how companies name products, for example I grew up with Oldsmobile's,
    we had Olds 88's in the family and I have owned one. I always wondered why there flagship was named the 98.

I am sure that BlackBerry has a reason for this. I have a friend in the Netherlands and was talking to him about the BlackBerry Z30 and he was saying over there they were calling it the Z80.

How we got started, I told him in Europe they are called the Zeed30 that is when he threw out the Z80. I did not question that because I don't know.

I have a sister vistaing France & Spain now and I have learned not to ask my sisters about cars or phones, they never know. I did ask her about the introduction of the BlackBerry Z30 in France it was the same time as Malaysia, she did not know. She is an iPhone/ Mac user and that is all she knows.
    10-14-13 07:13 PM
    The name is cool and makes chronological sense. Simply, the Z30 is a more matured and robust Z10.......an evolution of sorts

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 07:28 AM
    I've been saying this all along.. if one is to stick with the current naming convention, which I never liked.. then why skip 20 models jumping from Z10 to Z30 and not just go with Z11? What does that leave for next year? Z50? Please tell me you don't plan to come out with a Z15 and leave carrier reps to explain how it's actually newer then then Z30..

But moreover I think the decision to put the Z10 and the Z30 in the same letter family was a misstep.. a 4" device and a 5" device aren't iterations of each other, they are geared to diffrent customers. Again IF one is to stick to the current naming convention the Z30 should have been an X10 or any other letter.. but while better, it would still beg the question why the Z had a higher letter.. the Z never should have been the Z in the first places, it should have been an A..

BUT ideally (in my opinion) the entire naming strategy should have been rethought from the beginning. Designed from the ground up to identify the Blackberry 10 devices as a new line.. Designed to simplify the models going forward.. Designed to be easy to understand.. And designed to be easily added to as more models emerged..

To that end, I would have gone with :

Z10 = The 'BlackBerry One'

Q10 = The 'BlackBerry One-q' (for querty)

Z30 = The ' Blackberry One-XL' (extra large)

And so on.. clean. Easy to understand. Easy to build on. No going back when you add a new model.. just tack onto the end what's it's speciality is.. make a slider? Don't go down to Z15 from Z30.. call it the BlackBerry One-S.. next year.. don't be back tracking new models.. it's time for BlackBerry 2! Etc etc..

If anyone from BlackBerry is reading this.. your current devices aren't stamped with their names, it's only in the software so feel free to rename them all with the next software update and cite the change as part of your reorganisation strategy! Maybe credit me in a footnote or something

Posted via CB10
    anon(5906760) likes this.
    10-18-13 07:54 AM
    I still call my Z10 the BlackBerry London sometimes lol.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 04:20 PM
40 12