Calling on the wisdom of this forum before trying to make things work.

I already have a Z10 (for me) and an old Samsung "dumb" phone (for my wife). The old Samsung is eligible for an upgrade (Rogers). I am thinking to get a Z30 to replace the old Samsung BUT: I would get the Z30 for me and transfer the Z10 to my wife. We need to keep the phone numbers as they are.

How do I go about it? Do I first activate the Z30, then transfer the Z10 data onto the Z30 using BB Link? Then exchanging the SIM cards between the Z10 and the Z30 to have the proper phone numbers on the right unit?

Does that also means that my current PIN (on the Z10) will not be the same on the Z30 and I will have to advise all my contacts? Scratching my head...

I would appreciate if someone could head me over to a procedure to do all the above without me getting more insane than I already am!

Thanks in advance,
    06-04-14 02:58 PM
    You've got most of it figured out. Assuming you and your wife are with the same carrier.

First, I'd suggest doing a backup of the Z10. (safety precaution) Put your sim in the Z30, do a device switch with Link to move your data from the Z10 to the Z30 - you'll be guded through it. Your BBM contacts will all be switched over to the new device and the new PIN will be associated with your BlackBerry ID.

When complete, do a security wipe of the Z10 (Settings > Security and Privacy > Security Wipe) This will take up to a couple of hours, depending on how much data you have. When done, the Z10 will be clean and ready to be set up for your wife.

You may want to pass on this link to your wife for reference - a verry good, clear list of "How to's": http://crackberry.com/blackberry-help#bb10
    rpwings likes this.
    06-04-14 03:12 PM
    Yup... just like described above. Boyfriend has my Z10, and I got his upgrade to Z30. He's happy with the Z10, moved up from the BB Torch which was also mine....

You can not be told what BB10 OS is, you have to see it for yourself. (borrowed for The Matrix)
    06-04-14 06:02 PM
    BBM is tied to your blackberry id not your pin so your BBM list would automatically transfer
    06-04-14 06:13 PM
    Thanks! It actually worked almost perfectly. BBLink moved "almost" all of the data. For one reason or another, there was an error at the end of the transfer. I tried twice with the same result. Decided I had enough. I had to manually re-input some of the passwords (Twitter is one I recall about) and re-install one application (TuneinRadio). Otherwise, things went smootly other than chewing my fingernails!

As for the security wipe on the Z10, it did take about 3 hours. I was getting worry as the instructions say about 15 minutes but now everything seems OK.

And, thanks for the "How to's"!
    06-15-14 04:56 AM
    I had my wife play with my Z10 during the weekend so she is "starting" to understand how it works. Quite a move from a simple dumb flip phone but she is a smart lady!
    06-15-14 04:58 AM
    BBM list did transfer. but I still don't understand really how it works. I used to send my PIN to others for getting into the loop. Now my new Z30 has a different PIN and my old Z10 kept its own. A bit weird, LOL
    06-15-14 05:02 AM
    BBM list did transfer. but I still don't understand really how it works. I used to send my PIN to others for getting into the loop. Now my new Z30 has a different PIN and my old Z10 kept its own. A bit weird, LOL
    Back it up (z10)then security wipe it(may take hours) then start from scratch and enter the wife's new BlackBerry id.i think pin will be fixed.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-14 05:30 AM
    Thanks! It actually worked almost perfectly. BBLink moved "almost" all of the data. For one reason or another, there was an error at the end of the transfer. I tried twice with the same result. Decided I had enough. I had to manually re-input some of the passwords (Twitter is one I recall about) and re-install one application (TuneinRadio). Otherwise, things went smootly other than chewing my fingernails!

As for the security wipe on the Z10, it did take about 3 hours. I was getting worry as the instructions say about 15 minutes but now everything seems OK.

And, thanks for the "How to's"!
    Glad to hear it all worked out OK!
    06-15-14 08:07 AM