I've got quite a bit of hands-on-time with the Z30 at the VZW store and with a coworker's phone and have been very impressed with it. Not having large hands, handling, one-handed typing and navigation were fine. As I've previously posted, I don't feel the phone is too large nor heavy. I like it. BUT, I still wasn't sure about carrying it around in a holster. I have been carrying all my BBs in a holster by necessity and have recently upgraded my work phone to a Q10 in a holster. I like the Q but if things go as I think they will, I will switch to the Z30 as my one phone.

Back to the holster. So as to help me over this last decision hurdle, I bought a Z30 swivel holster from a member here and carried my 9930 around for a week in it to see if the holster size would be a problem. It wasn't. It did feel a little different but within a couple of days it felt right at home. Decision made, and with no second thoughts. Our local store was stocking the Z30 and two of my co-workers' phones were bought there but I obviously waited too late. They sold out two weeks ago and said I would have to order it online as no restock was planned.

I went online to order and to make a long story shorter, found out our previously used loophole to keep our unlimited is no longer workable. Previously we had traded upgrades in the family and by doing so kept our unlimited, but now the upgrade is tied directly to the line and if an upgrade is used, it upgrades the contract for the line it's associated with, regardless of who uses it. I could still do it with my son's upgrade, but no one could ever use mine without it knocking me to a tiered data plan and he would be without one. I was even using the same rep who helped us before and she spelled out the change for me. Supply your own phone, buy retail or she said I could use an unadvertised program. Installment payment. Edge changes your plan so that was out and I didn't want to hand over $549 right now. I used the Installment plan. It's officially a retail purchase with no plan change (month-to-month) but payments over 12months on your bill. Period. You have to request it. The caveat is you have to do the transaction at a VZW store. I did today. I went ahead and put $175 down to lower my payments from $45mth to $31mth for 12mths. Works for me and doesn't screw up our strict budget as much as dropping $549 at one time and I keep my unlimited. It's due in Thursday and I can't wait.

Sorry for the length but some might benefit from the experience and the details might be important.
    loyalIND likes this.
    01-21-14 12:56 AM
    You certainly perform your due diligence. Good for you!

Personally I went with the Transform Case.

I love my Z30. I know you will too. Congrats on the new toy, and enjoy!
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-21-14 01:16 AM
    Good for you, keeping old grandfathered plans is quite hard considering nowadays they want to get the most out of you without giving you more
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-21-14 01:18 AM
    I think you made a wise choice about the plans. I too just added a Z30 to my stable of devices, and bought it outright to preserve my plan.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-21-14 07:02 AM
    Thanks for the post Roto, another post that is pushing me to take the Z10 to Z30 plunge...

Posted via CB10
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-21-14 08:22 AM
    I was forced to pay full retail in order to keep my unlimited plan. Despite my asking for every option available, with a few different salespeople on different days, I was never given your option.

Good job! Full price up front is a real frog strangler.
    01-21-14 12:36 PM
    Good for you, keeping old grandfathered plans is quite hard considering nowadays they want to get the most out of you without giving you more
    True, and for what it's worth, my daughter was told by a store rep (taken with a grain of salt) that in March all unlimited holders would be advised that their plans will be canceled and they will have other choices. I of course immediately called our VZW corporation rep and queried her on it and she hadn't heard a word about it and made a comment about it being a strange departure from their practice. Just a heads up.
    01-21-14 05:52 PM
    Nice to hear about the holster OP. I've always used holsters with my BB's and have been concerned that it would be too bulky with the Z30.

Upgrade is due in a few months so not so bothered about a large holster now. Cheers.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-21-14 05:58 PM
    I was forced to pay full retail in order to keep my unlimited plan. Despite my asking for every option available, with a few different salespeople on different days, I was never given your option.

Good job! Full price up front is a real frog strangler.
    I know, if not for the heads up from the corp rep I wouldn't have known either. Even when I was in the store they initially said they weren't aware of it and if so, I'd probably lose my unlimited anyway. I had a helpful salesperson and she tried adry run using her brother's account since he was unlimited as well. She was surprised it was available and allowed me to keep my unlimited. Why wouldn't it? It's only a payment plan, unlike Edge.
    01-21-14 06:38 PM
    Nice to hear about the holster OP. I've always used holsters with my BB's and have been concerned that it would be too bulky with the Z30.

Upgrade is due in a few months so not so bothered about a large holster now. Cheers.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Here is a photo of a bud modeling both holsters. The Z30 holster looks larger than it feels, including when the phone is in it. Hope it helps your decision.
    After A Week Of Simulated Carry, Ordered My Z30 Today & Kept My Unlimited (long)-img-20140121-00219.jpg
    01-22-14 10:39 AM