Hey knowledgeable BlackBerry community...I've purchased a Z30 on the promotion and I'd like to transition my 17 year old son to it from his ailing S2...any advice from experienced Z30 owners who made the switch?

Should I upgrade it to 10.3 before I give it to him to try (I really like the changes from 10.2 on my Q to 10.3 on the Passport)? I'll put Snap on it for sure...anything else I should do? I'd obviously like to encourage versus discourage the change. In the end he may not want the Z, but I think it's worth the try...

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 07:06 AM
    Hey knowledgeable BlackBerry community...I've purchased a Z30 on the promotion and I'd like to transition my 17 year old son to it from his ailing S2...any advice from experienced Z30 owners who made the switch?

Should I upgrade it to 10.3 before I give it to him to try (I really like the changes from 10.2 on my Q to 10.3 on the Passport)? I'll put Snap on it for sure...anything else I should do? I'd obviously like to encourage versus discourage the change. In the end he may not want the Z, but I think it's worth the try...

Posted via CB10
    I think for the best expierence you should need 10.3.x or 10.3.1.x.
    Try to install all the apps he has on his S2 on the Z30.
    Switching from Android to BlackBerry 10 is easy, it's the other way around that sucks (a lot of missing things).

Also tell him he don't need an app for everything (no need for flashlight app example) or app to copy files wireless from and to your computer.
    Also tell and give him a usb on the go cable, in case he uses USB sticks a lot (school example).

Snap is 1. choice indeed, if someone thats own a Galaxy S2 don't want a Z30 something is wrong with him.
    Z30 is soo much better in any possible way.
    11-02-14 07:12 AM
    I think for the best expierence you should need 10.3.x or 10.3.1.x.
    Try to install all the apps he has on his S2 on the Z30.
    Switching from Android to BlackBerry 10 is easy, it's the other way around that sucks (a lot of missing things).

Also tell him he don't need an app for everything (no need for flashlight app example) or app to copy files wireless from and to your computer.
    Also tell and give him a usb on the go cable, in case he uses USB sticks a lot (school example).

Snap is 1. choice indeed, if someone thats own a Galaxy S2 don't want a Z30 something is wrong with him.
    Z30 is soo much better in any possible way.
    I admire your love for BlackBerry but it is clouding your judgement

Symbian is still and always my favourite Os. Nokia 808. FilePLAY Music Player
    11-02-14 07:18 AM

Posted via CB10
    Show him how to install leaks and side loading and apk's etc. Empower him to "soup up" his new phone.
    HotFix and moody like this.
    11-02-14 07:27 AM
    I think installing snap will do and install some apps he allready use frm BBworld and Android play Store
    11-02-14 07:28 AM
    Let him decide for himself if he wants to deal with leaks or not

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.3289
    vanrickman likes this.
    11-02-14 07:32 AM
    Let him use it for a while... when he gets addicted, buy yourself a new phone ;-)

BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.2.932; BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.0.675
    11-02-14 07:40 AM
    I admire your love for BlackBerry but it is clouding your judgement

Sorry to brake it to you but I've never even heard of Symbian and I haven't used a Nokia since digital CDMA service came into the picture on the Nokia 6185 (look it up)!

OP, just make sure your son has the latest OS release. I'm on 10.3.0.1418 and it's extremely stable. Also, as another poster already mentioned, load it up with all the same apps he currently has on his S2.

And this the most important lesson. If your kid is already generally ungrateful in any or every aspect, then leave him on his failing S2! We don't need another post about how someone gave someone else a BlackBerry as a gift, and that person being totally ungrateful. Especially not on a Z30! Just sayin.

Other then that, educate, educate, educate. He'll be totally frustrated in the first few days if he's unfamiliar with the OS and doesn't have any direction.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    moody likes this.
    11-02-14 07:45 AM
    Sorry to brake it to you but I've never even heard of Symbian and I haven't used a Nokia since digital CDMA service came into the picture on the Nokia 6185 (look it up)!

OP, just make sure your son has the latest OS release. I'm on 10.3.0.1418 and it's extremely stable. Also, as another poster already mentioned, load it up with all the same apps he currently has on his S2.

And this the most important lesson. If your kid is already generally ungrateful in any or every aspect, then leave him on his failing S2! We don't need another post about how someone gave someone else a BlackBerry as a gift, and that person being totally ungrateful. Especially not on a Z30! Just sayin.

Other then that, educate, educate, educate. He'll be totally frustrated in the first few days if he's unfamiliar with the OS and doesn't have any direction.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    Wow you never heard about symbian os phones that's the os Nokia used back then I had the n95 and 93 and 96.......
    Anyway going from an s2 to a z30 is more than a good choice you can give him with the current os if he likes it he will fall in love with the 10.3

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 07:53 AM
    Wow you never heard about symbian os phones that's the os Nokia used back then I had the n95 and 93 and 96.......
    Anyway going from an s2 to a z30 is more than a good choice you can give him with the current os if he likes it he will fall in love with the 10.3

Posted via CB10
    I was trying to make a point. Symbian OS is definitely not at the top a common smartphone users list when reminiscing about what OS they're most fond of. And here in Canada, it certainly wasn't at the forefront back in 2009 when Nokia was one of the main contributors of the open source code.

You either had a flip phone, iPhone or a BlackBerry back then period. Nevertheless, good luck to the OP and hopefully he can open his sons eyes into the world of BB10.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    Last edited by Carmels; 11-02-14 at 12:57 PM.
    11-02-14 11:03 AM
    Don't forget a good case! My Z30 has lots of scuffing on the glass edge. Could be prevented with a simple tpu skin
    11-02-14 01:54 PM
    I was trying to make a point. Symbian OS is definitely not at the top a common smartphone users list when reminiscing about what OS they're most fond of. And here in Canada, it certainly wasn't at the forefront back in 2009 when Nokia was one of the main contributors of the open source code.

You either had a flip phone, iPhone or a BlackBerry back then period. Nevertheless, good luck to the OP and hopefully he can open his sons eyes into the world of BB10.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    I have a feeling that the original text referring to Symbian is the member's signature (i.e. Probably not really meant to be part of the current thread topic).

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 02:00 PM
    As for the OP, definitely upgrade to 10.3 before giving him the Z30. Much better Android runtime performance, and just more polished all around.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 02:02 PM
    I have a feeling that the original text referring to Symbian is the member's signature (i.e. Probably not really meant to be part of the current thread topic).

Posted via CB10
    Left me wondering why the focus on my signature instead.

11-02-14 11:03 PM
    I have always found the concept of "convincing" people to adopt a new device quite fascinating.
    11-02-14 11:51 PM
    Thanks for the replies everyone...in terms of 'convincing' him to change, it's more about giving him the best shot at looking to what I honestly believe is a better phone with as little PITA stuff in the process as possible...if it doesn't transition smoothly, it's less likely to work for him. People get used to what they use (an overstatement perhaps) and I don't think being closed to other solutions is a good trait in any of us. I tried an iphone a couple years back before BlackBerry 10 came out and gave it a genuine try before coming back to BlackBerry - I just felt BlackBerry suited my needs better. But if we are closed from the start to change, it will never happen...it's more about possibilities than saying 'my phone is better than your phone' - I mean, really, who cares? If it works for you, great...I just think what BlackBerry has put together is fantastic and he's been complaining about his Samsung...perhaps it's time for a change!

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 06:55 AM
    No convincing needed. He's 17. Just tell him it's the phone you give him or he gets no phone at all.

If he doesn't like it he can go buy and pay for his own phone service.
    11-03-14 08:08 AM
    No convincing needed. He's 17. Just tell him it's the phone you give him or he gets no phone at all.

You beat me to it! I was just going to ask a simple question:
    Who is paying for it and the plan?
    11-03-14 02:45 PM

OMG YES!!!!!!! This is totally the correct approach and I approve whole heartedly.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    Carl Estes likes this.
    11-03-14 02:56 PM

You beat me to it! I was just going to ask a simple question:
    Who is paying for it and the plan?
    While I agree in principle (if I pay, I ultimately decide LOL), I'm not sure a smartphone is worth a line in the sand. I don't mind letting a teen pick what smartphone he/she wants to use, all things being equal.

Not saying that that is what OP is doing.
    11-03-14 02:59 PM
    Hey folks...a quick update. Got the Z30 yesterday - seemlessly installed 10.3.1 and Snap...my son's really enjoying it so far...says it's a major improvement over his S2...it's a no pressure thing from me - it's his $ in the end (mostly) and he can use what suits him best...I'm happy to help steer a little, is all....

BTW, the Device Switch app is quite good - I've used it now with an iphone and the S2 and it's worked out very well...it transferred Contacts, photos and music hassle free...

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 08:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 10:11 PM
    Hey folks...a quick update. Got the Z30 yesterday - seemlessly installed 10.3.1 and Snap...my son's really enjoying it so far...says it's a major improvement over his S2...it's a no pressure thing from me - it's his $ in the end (mostly) and he can use what suits him best...I'm happy to help steer a little, is all....

BTW, the Device Switch app is quite good - I've used it now with an iphone and the S2 and it's worked out very well...it transferred Contacts, photos and music hassle free...

Posted via CB10
    Great to hear! Ask your son to give his first impressions overall once he's used it for a bit more. I'm loving my Z30 experience and can't wait for an official 10.3.1.xxxx to be released. I'm 10.3.0.1418 and the camera software isn't the greatest but I've adapted and it's adequate for my daily use.

I have my Z10 running on 10.3.1.xxxx so ill use that and see how it goes. If it's good enough for daily use I'll update my Z30.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    11-09-14 10:24 AM