And yet the market as a whole seem generally happy to trade off the reduced flexibility for a thinner device, just be glad that at least we have options with BB devices.
    I shouldn't "go there"...

But let's face it...

...most of the consumers that buy into the smartphone market aren't bright about this stuff. Thin phones is becoming an American illness just like the obsession with thin people.

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    07-10-13 01:00 PM
    It's unknown if there have been other changes besides the rumored screen size increase (to 5"), but this what I'm expecting.

Leaked around the same time the L and N series slides did:
    Attachment 180491
    This information is outdated.

The R081 (Aristo) is now 5.0"

Everything else there actually looks accurate.
    07-10-13 11:36 PM
    I shouldn't "go there"...

But let's face it...

...most of the consumers that buy into the smartphone market aren't bright about this stuff. Thin phones is becoming an American illness just like the obsession with thin people.
    Unfortunately, BB need to sell to as many people as possible and the not too bright market is a sizable demographic they need to try and reach if they want bb10 to succeed.
    07-11-13 05:49 AM
    I can see if you have an old bloated OS that needs the extra ram and quad core CPU, to function properly. Then again if you have an efficient new OS that doesn't require extra ram and 4 cores to function perfectly, why would you manufacture one? To drive up the costs? To say me too? What is the point? Bet most people are quite happily running dual cores on there PC's at home and see no need to upgrade to quad or higher, because everything works just fine as it is.
    07-11-13 01:31 PM
    I can see if you have an old bloated OS that needs the extra ram and quad core CPU, to function properly. Then again if you have an efficient new OS that doesn't require extra ram and 4 cores to function perfectly, why would you manufacture one? To drive up the costs? To say me too? What is the point? Bet most people are quite happily running dual cores on there PC's at home and see no need to upgrade to quad or higher, because everything works just fine as it is.
    Lol so ur saying that bb10 isn't bloated? Bear in mind it needs higher specs than Windows 7. Ios7 will run on half a gig ram on ipad2, bb10 won't run on 1gb playbook.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 01:59 PM
    Lol so ur saying that bb10 isn't bloated? Bear in mind it needs higher specs than Windows 7. Ios7 will run on half a gig ram on ipad2, bb10 won't run on 1gb playbook.

Posted via CB10
    Well, as for Windows 7, the 2GB is only for Starter.

Technically, all other versions require 4GB.

And even more technically speaking, memory is relatively cheap and using memory can be a good thing. It doesn't make an OS "bloated" or a "pig" contrary to popular belief.

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    07-11-13 03:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    Actually it will. In fact BB10 as a base OS uses significantly less resources than the aging iOS platform.

The reason BB10 isn't being launched on 1GB hardware platforms is because to truly make use of the multitasking capability in BB10 (that is, up to 8 user initiated applications running in full multi-threaded parallel mode), more than 1GB ram is often required.

iOS freezes the state of the application and suspends to flash memory when you switch between apps, but BB10 is true multitasking and therefore needs more RAM real estate to keep the active applications loaded.

The OS itself is amazingly lightweight and needs very minimal specs to run. It's the ability to run several intense applications side by side that pushes up the RAM requirement. The fact BB10 can do this even on moderate processor speeds is a testament to it's efficiency!

Quad cores will come in time, people. For now, you must ask yourself - do I really need a quad core? If I didn't know how many cores the new BlackBerry had, would it really matter if it can do all the stuff I want it to do?
    07-11-13 06:00 PM
    People want quad core and great battery life but the truth is it's hard to have both. On the bright side the A10 will probably have the best battery life of all 5 inch phones
    07-11-13 06:33 PM
    Well, as for Windows 7, the 2GB is only for Starter.

Technically, all other versions require 4GB.
    errrrr nope, windows starter 32bit (the entry level product) requires 1Gb ram, and all other versions in 32 bit require 2Gb, your looking at 64bit only which isn't the full picture.
    while true using more memory doesn't make it `bloated` in a sense, it does mean its gonna be using power to hold that info in the memory, so its not power efficient, also with phone memory being low spec (ddr2 spec not ddr3 like new pc`s) it means its slower than a pc comparison too.
    07-11-13 11:29 PM
    [QUOTE=higherdestiny;8806667]Actually it will. In fact BB10 as a base OS uses significantly less resources than the aging iOS platform.

[QUOTE]

what! the iPad 2 with just half a gig of ram will receive iOS7 (no doubt minus siri and some features, but it wont just be a dropped product) so it uses less than half a gig ram, BB10 is that bad (so we are told) on 1Gb ram that they cant release it. pretty certain that's contradictory to what you just said.

as for how a device multitasks, play a youtube clip in BB10 then swipe up, the audio continues but the video doesn't, hardly `great multitasking`, and lets be honest do end users truly care about how multitasking works? has it hindered sales of iOS compared to BB10? I think that's fairly self evident.

Heres the bottom line though, currently customer shopping habits are based on the spec and available ecosystem (apps, cases accessories etc), so if we know its a consideration, and we also know BlackBerrys rep is for having `last years hardware` and we are trying to repair the brand image and be the `new BlackBerry`, how in the world does having last years specs help?
    07-11-13 11:36 PM

what! the iPad 2 with just half a gig of ram will receive iOS7 (no doubt minus siri and some features, but it wont just be a dropped product) so it uses less than half a gig ram, BB10 is that bad (so we are told) on 1Gb ram that they cant release it. pretty certain that's contradictory to what you just said.
    BB10 is more efficient than iOS.

Please. I thought this was common knowledge. The larger RAM requirements relate to the way BB10 allows the user to have up to 8 applications simultaneously executing in memory - a function which iOS simply doesn't have.

Here's the punchline:

I DONT CARE WHAT SPECS my device has, as long as it allows me to GET STUFF DONE.

Too many people treat phones like status symbols. "Oh, mine has more cores than yours". WHO CARES? Seriously? Since when did the spec race become a NEED?

The A10 will be FASTER than the Z10, it's going to be SMOOTHER than the Z10, it's going to have better BATTERY LIFE than the Z10. Now - give me a single reason why I shouldn't be happy with it?
    07-12-13 12:55 AM
    The apple claims about their os not being fragmented or these older devices continuing to get supported are more than a little misleading when you actually look at how many of the flagship features get dropped from those older devices while the os number is getting incremented.
    07-12-13 09:36 AM
    Why buy an a10 for $200 when the z10 has the same specs for $100?

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 09:46 PM
38 12