There have been a lot of rumours recently regarding the fabled A10 BlackBerry coming later this year.

It's important to keep expectations in check and keep a 'big picture' mind about this device.

I believe the A10 will be an excellent device - however it will most likely be an evolutionary device (as opposed to 'revolutionary'). This means don't expect a quad core processor. Don't expect 4GB of ram. Don't expect an ultra HD screen or 15MP camera. If you do, I suggest you'll probably be disappointed.

In terms of hardware, I expect the A10 to be a minor speedbump. Yes, minor. To be fair, the BB10 Operating system is phenomenal in efficiency and I don't think BlackBerry will be pushing too quickly into the quad core era.

Expect a minor processing speed improvement.
    Expect the same ram as existing devices (Z10, Q10).
    Expect minor camera improvements
    Expect a larger screen, probably OLED, but most likely the same screen resolution.
    Expect a refined and improved operating system. I presume OS 10.2 or even 10.3 on launch.
    Expect further features relating to BlackBerry's Mobile Computing direction.
    Expect a larger battery and longer run-time.

Don't expect anything more than a dual core
    Don't expect gimmicks
    Don't expect a removable battery (the jury is still out on this one)

BlackBerry is in this for the long run. They're not trying to wow the world with an octo-core monster. They simply want to keep building on the momentum they've created with BB10. Remember - BlackBerry's core focus here is the operating system (or the mobile computing platform). The hardware serves to interface with that operating system.

At this stage in the game, BlackBerry will take small steps and make sure they get it right. This means that at least for the short term future, the hardware may not be the absolute greatest on the market - but that's not the goal. The goal is absolute stability, performance and a rock solid operating environment.

Every new flagship will be better than the one before, but don't expect miracles here.

The A10 is no doubt coming. It will be great, but please - don't raise your expectations to the point of bursting.
    Sherif Darwish and Acumenight like this.
    07-08-13 08:57 PM
    Is this speculation on your part or do you have inside knowledge of the specs of the A-10?
    07-08-13 09:05 PM
    It's unknown if there have been other changes besides the rumored screen size increase (to 5"), but this what I'm expecting.

Leaked around the same time the L and N series slides did:
    The A10.  What to expect, and what not to expect.-r081-aristo.png
    VRCHOTICKY likes this.
    07-08-13 09:19 PM
    Is this speculation on your part or do you have inside knowledge of the specs of the A-10?
    Well the firmware files seem to suggest it's getting an Adreno 320 which would be a minor bump over 225.
    It also has a 1280x720 AMOLED screen.
    07-08-13 09:21 PM
    If true, the A10 sounds positively underwhelming. Why would a consumer buy this product versus products offered by the competition?

BBRY has 3 billion in the bank, why not invest a small portion of that money into a phone that will create a stir in the market? Having the fastest doodad, or quickest blah blah are much easier features to sell than vague allusions about the future of mobile computing.
    Acumenight likes this.
    07-08-13 09:31 PM
    At this stage in the game, BlackBerry will take small steps and make sure they get it right. This means that at least for the short term future, the hardware may not be the absolute greatest on the market - but that's not the goal. The goal is absolute stability, performance and a rock solid operating environment.

Every new flagship will be better than the one before, but don't expect miracles here.
    Ok, so firstly I did hear a rumour of 4Gb ram, however that could be wrong, and also I don't see the point, BB10 limits the open apps, so a RAM increase wont actually do anything.

As for the hardware not being the greatest on the market and not expecting miracles, I don't buy that sorry. Look at the specs listed on the overview sheet above, while it may of changed a bit from that, compare to the GN3 and HTC One max which will be launching near the same time, rumoured specs for both are 1080p full HD screens, Quad core 2.3Ghz and the adreno 330, HTC will go ultrapixel, and Samsung may go 13Mp, both are likely to have 802.11 ac (which while it wont be about for long with ad coming mid 2014 its still a `bleeding edge spec`), and a battery suggested to be 3000+mah.

that's a world apart sad to say. remember, BB is known for being behind the curve (no pun intended) on the specs of their devices, a new BlackBerry OS should of (as you americans say) `knocked it out the park`, only time will tell.
    07-08-13 09:41 PM
    I've never seen the specs of the A10, so consider this speculation.
    07-08-13 09:46 PM
    Yes, an Adreno 330 included would be great. Other than that, the only thing I was looking for would be a bump in the Camera and Stereo speakers.

Bang & Olufsen speakers, anyone?

My Tech-Fleet: Q10; Z10; PlayBook; Surface Pro; Xbox 360; HP TouchPad; iPod Touch 5
    07-08-13 10:28 PM
    There have been a lot of rumours recently regarding the fabled A10 BlackBerry coming later this year.

It's important to keep expectations in check and keep a 'big picture' mind about this device.

I believe the A10 will be an excellent device - however it will most likely be an evolutionary device (as opposed to 'revolutionary'). This means don't expect a quad core processor. Don't expect 4GB of ram. Don't expect an ultra HD screen or 15MP camera. If you do, I suggest you'll probably be disappointed.

In terms of hardware, I expect the A10 to be a minor speedbump. Yes, minor. To be fair, the BB10 Operating system is phenomenal in efficiency and I don't think BlackBerry will be pushing too quickly into the quad core era.

Expect a larger screen, probably OLED, but most likely the same screen resolution.
    Expect a refined and improved operating system. I presume OS 10.2 or even 10.3 on launch.

Don't expect gimmicks

BlackBerry is in this for the long run. They're not trying to wow the world with an octo-core monster. They simply want to keep building on the momentum they've created with BB10. Remember - BlackBerry's core focus here is the operating system (or the mobile computing platform). The hardware serves to interface with that operating system.

The A10 is no doubt coming. It will be great, but please - don't raise your expectations to the point of bursting.
    Why in the name of all that is good in this world would they be moving away from one of the things that differentiating the Z10 and Q10 from iPhone and a scary increasing number of Droid devices out there....

The removable battery.

My opinion? I feel strongly they shouldn't have removed this feature on ANY device. TH announced it for the Z10 to thunderous applause. That being said, if they are going to remove it, it is only barely acceptable on entry-level ones like the Q5.

Not acceptable at all, AT ALL on medium to high end models.

I don't understand this trend for non-removable batteries. BlackBerry justified it as a means to cut cost for a lower end model like the Q5...(how does it save them money tho....)....I just don't get it. And I don't want to have to get it. I want my removable battery! I hope BlackBerry doesn't succumb to this stupid, modern smartphone trend.

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    Creaulx and mexicangangboss like this.
    07-08-13 10:56 PM
    If true, the A10 sounds positively underwhelming. Why would a consumer buy this product versus products offered by the competition?

BBRY has 3 billion in the bank, why not invest a small portion of that money into a phone that will create a stir in the market? Having the fastest doodad, or quickest blah blah are much easier features to sell than vague allusions about the future of mobile computing.
    The device will sell or not based on two factors, the OS and the pricing, this model is basically going to be an alternative to the z10 for those who want a bigger display rather than an obvious upgrade and to be fair if it comes out only 8-9 months after the z10, that is not a bad thing.

I wish people would stop trying to be armchair hardware designers, it is not simply a matter of throwing money out there to produce a higher end device that is only going to stand out based on specs for however short a time it takes the latest android hotshot to turn up. BB needs to keep control of their spending in these early days of BB10, building sales steadily by offering people options at the mainstream pricepoints and not the vanity spec end of the market.
    07-09-13 06:33 AM
    I don't understand this trend for non-removable batteries. BlackBerry justified it as a means to cut cost for a lower end model like the Q5...(how does it save them money tho....)....I just don't get it. And I don't want to have to get it. I want my removable battery! I hope BlackBerry doesn't succumb to this stupid, modern smartphone trend.
    A non-removable battery equates to about 1.5mm in thickness on a modern mobile phone or a significant increase in capacity at the same thickness, so if most people do not tend to buy spare batteries then it makes sense for BB to release some of their models without removable batteries to take advantage of these benefits. If a device lasts a day of heavy use then most people will not give a damn about removable or not as it simply won't be a consideration for them.

The important thing will be in the future is that they continue to produce at least some of their devices with removable batteries so that those people who really thrash their device are still covered and I expect that will be the case, we already saw the q10 being able to include a larger battery than the z10 because the latter had them covered in the making it thin part of the market.
    07-09-13 06:40 AM
    One more point on the whole removable battery thing, the mark-up on such items is huge, so if BB were seeing significant sales in that area then there is no way they would skip them even if it meant a thicker device, so the logical conclusion is that only certain models where the owner expects it to be a complete work-horse they depend on all day are going to see big demand in that area, unlike the lighter use of a consumer that is used to topping up their phone as needed during the day by now.
    07-09-13 11:05 AM
    Why in the name of all that is good in this world would they be moving away from one of the things that differentiating the Z10 and Q10 from iPhone and a scary increasing number of Droid devices out there....

The removable battery.

My opinion? I feel strongly they shouldn't have removed this feature on ANY device. TH announced it for the Z10 to thunderous applause. That being said, if they are going to remove it, it is only barely acceptable on entry-level ones like the Q5.

They save size by not having a removable battery.
    07-09-13 11:17 AM

Don't expect gimmicks

If thats what they are doing why bother realsing it. It wont be different enough from the Z10. I believe we will see the specsa closer to what has been leaked previously.
    07-09-13 11:18 AM

The removable battery.

answer em this, when did you last remove the battery from your Z10? I can tell you I last touched the battery when I put the sim card in, so a removeable battery doesn't matter. obviously different people have different use cases, but the `need` of BBOS and battery pulls has gone, so a enclosed system for a thinner device (or same thickness and larger capacity) is preferable.
    07-09-13 11:34 AM
    answer em this, when did you last remove the battery from your Z10? I can tell you I last touched the battery when I put the sim card in, so a removeable battery doesn't matter. obviously different people have different use cases, but the `need` of BBOS and battery pulls has gone, so a enclosed system for a thinner device (or same thickness and larger capacity) is preferable.
    LOL...

I usually remove it once a day, sometimes twice if I'm gaming, to swap it out for my back up battery.

A hair thinner isn't worth losing the ability to have a backup battery with external plug in for emergencies AND ability to replace a defective battery on my own without requiring sending my phone in and waiting weeks.

Don't remove the removable battery.

Or you will lose some of your most loyal, oldest fans.

07-09-13 12:42 PM
    I usually remove it once a day, sometimes twice if I'm gaming, to swap it out for my back up battery.

A hair thinner isn't worth losing the ability to have a backup battery with external plug in for emergencies AND ability to replace a defective battery on my own without requiring sending my phone in and waiting weeks.

Don't remove the removable battery.

Or you will lose some of your most loyal, oldest fans.
    They are not going to do away with removable batteries entirely, but for particular devices they have to look at what will produce more sales overall, in some cases that will mean removable batteries and in others thinner devices.
    07-09-13 04:28 PM
    Tbh, the non removable battery is a deal breaker. Also, I like how OP speculates to tell everyone else what to not/expect. Like, I genuinely like that.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-13 05:34 PM
    For me removable battery is more about replacing it when it's life is up but the phone is still good (~2 years of use): by then you can get one from China for $5 instead of $100 to have a non-removable replaced at a shop.

Removable batteries extend the life of the phone: especially those that are rough on the battery (it isn't worth $100 to replace a battery in a 2 year old phone, but for $5 it definitely is).

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    07-09-13 05:47 PM
    Right...

So should there be problems with the A10 battery life, instead of the solution being a spare battery, the solution will be none...don't game so much...don't browse so much...return the phone.

Yup was worth the thinness.

07-09-13 05:50 PM
    For me removable battery is more about replacing it when it's life is up but the phone is still good (~2 years of use): by then you can get one from China for $5 instead of $100 to have a non-removable replaced at a shop.

Removable batteries extend the life of the phone: especially those that are rough on the battery (it isn't worth $100 to replace a battery in a e year old phone, but for $5 it definitely is).

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    Thank you!

07-09-13 05:50 PM
    If the battery life is the same if not a little better than Q10 that's more than plenty for me. New phone for me every 2 years at most, don't really care about battery health and most people who buy used phone don't even consider that as a factor.
    07-09-13 07:25 PM
    Well the firmware files seem to suggest it's getting an Adreno 320 which would be a minor bump over 225.
    It also has a 1280x720 AMOLED screen.
    Exactly and if BB tried to market it as a high-end device, it's DOA as those are the specs of last years Optimus G.
    Let's hope the Aristo is just a Z10 replacement and that the 5" phablet that got TH so excited is one of the R9x device.
    07-09-13 08:27 PM
    Yesterday. The Z10 has a 10h-13h battery life, depending on if I tether or not, so if I can't charge it, I need to swap batteries.
    07-09-13 08:34 PM
    So should there be problems with the A10 battery life, instead of the solution being a spare battery, the solution will be none...don't game so much...don't browse so much...return the phone.

Yup was worth the thinness.
    And yet the market as a whole seem generally happy to trade off the reduced flexibility for a thinner device, just be glad that at least we have options with BB devices.
    07-10-13 04:14 AM
38 12