06-17-13 12:57 PM
    Three years in, AMOLED displays are finally getting it right | Ars Technica

My link is from the end of April this year

Posted via CB10
    More snake oil. The link says nothing about resolution. It compares old OLED to newer ones. It also proves my point about power consumption. Thanks
    06-17-13 01:03 PM
    The display is better than a 720p Pentile panel.

That's all that matters because BlackBerry wants to compete against these better 1080p displays with a 720p panel.
    Do you understand that? BlackBerry is not Apple and also uses a bigger screen.

The only thing your links prove, is that one single phone with a "useless" 1080p display will sell more units than all of BlackBerry smartphones combined.

Posted via CB10
    You snake oil guys are good.
    06-17-13 01:04 PM
    More snake oil. The link says nothing about resolution. It compares old OLED to newer ones. It also proves my point about power consumption. Thanks
    The Samsung S4 display is used for comparisons a lot and they also show that with a 1080p display, the pentile shortcomings nearly vanish.

The newest Amoled tech is only deployed in high-end handsets.
    And now guess what:
    They all use 1080p now.

You should never underestimate the power of snake oil and imagination.
    People hear 1080p, one of THE buzzwords in electronics for years and now associate it with phones.

This trend cannot be ignored.

And as was said before, the power consumption may be higher, but all of these devices have a better battery life than their predecessors.
    The end user doesn't care about the fact how it was achieved as long as it works.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-13 01:10 PM
    You sir, are a genius as well
    This will only happen if it uses a 1080p display.

Everything else would make the PPI lower than what the Z10 currently has.

Posted via CB10
    True true.

Z10? Why yes it is.
    06-17-13 02:06 PM
    You sir, are a genius as well
    This will only happen if it uses a 1080p display.

Everything else would make the PPI lower than what the Z10 currently has.

Posted via CB10
    Yet it would be higher than someone with 20/20 vision can differentiate. A 720p screen has to be 7.7 inches plus to be close to the threshold before someone can actually start to see the pixels.
    06-17-13 02:36 PM
    Yet it would be higher than someone with 20/20 vision can differentiate. A 720p screen has to be 7.7 inches plus to be close to the threshold before someone can actually start to see the pixels.
    And it would still be subpar, compared to BlackBerry's competition.

I am amazed how hard it must be to understand that BlackBerry competes in a global market/a global scale.
    The competition outdoes BlackBerry either on Apps or Specs or both combined.

It would be easy to fix the part with the specs.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-13 02:45 PM
    And it would still be subpar, compared to BlackBerry's competition.

I am amazed how hard it must be to understand that BlackBerry competes in a global market/a global scale.
    The competition outdoes BlackBerry either on Apps or Specs or both combined.

It would be easy to fix the part with the specs.

Posted via CB10
    I am done with your snake oil. Try selling your crap to someone who doesn't know any better.
    06-17-13 03:02 PM
    I am done with your snake oil. Try selling your crap to someone who doesn't know any better.
    Actually, the people who don't know any better are the ones Blackberry needs to target right now.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-13 03:16 PM
    I won't buy another smartphone until these lazy punks actually get around to putting a 4k display into a sub 5" device.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-13 03:38 PM
    I won't buy another smartphone until these lazy punks actually get around to putting a 4k display into a sub 5" device.

Posted via CB10
    *vibrate*

Posted via CB10
    06-17-13 03:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    Where are my 4k monitors?? It's sad that computer displays haven't advanced much to the point where 4k is the norm for a high end monitor <$1000
    06-17-13 06:13 PM
    Where are my 4k monitors?? It's sad that computer displays haven't advanced much to the point where 4k is the norm for a high end monitor <$1000
    High end monitor specs have not changed much in the past 5-6 years except for the refresh rate.

Ex: a while back I got a 24" 1080p @60hz monitor. Not long after a 120hz model was released, and not long after that a 240hz model came out.

Ironically refresh rate is a useless and meaningless stat for LCD screens. The only real benefit you got from each new generation was that the previous models would get cheaper.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-13 06:44 PM
    Better tell that to Google, the Moto X will be 720p.
    Yep, just replace Moto X with BlackBerry in these headlines:

Motorola Moto X (aka X Phone) specs tipped by @evleaks

http://www.geek.com/android/moto-x-d...phone-1559196/

They're calling it a midrange phone...

Then he either has better than 20/20 vision and/or holds the phone closer than 10 inches.

Is it that hard for you to believe someone has 20/20 vision or holds the phone closer than 12 inches?? God forbid there's someone out there with both of those combined.
    06-17-13 08:47 PM
    Can you honestly tell the difference between a 720p and a 1080p HDTV from 9 feet away? Not to mention 1080p vs 4K?
    Not likely. When it comes to TV refresh is the more important spec I'd think.

Couldn't give two ****s about resolution on a 5-8" screen, other things are much more important like ability to put apps on SD card.

Back in the day of 14" monitors 1024x768 was fantastic for pics and video.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-13 09:14 PM

http://www.geek.com/android/moto-x-d...phone-1559196/

Is it that hard for you to believe someone has 20/20 vision or holds the phone closer than 12 inches?? God forbid there's someone out there with both of those combined.
    Thank you very much!

And this is what I have been saying all along:

Either make the phone cheap, or use a 1080p panel.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-13 10:23 PM

Moto X details surface, point towards a good mid-range phone | Android | Geek.com

You mean these quotes?

If Motorola was able to release this phone, manufactured in the US, on every carrier, at a price that dramatically undercuts the current generation of superphones, the Moto X is absolutely something worth keeping an eye on. Motorola plans to officially announce this phone before the end of Summer, with an on shelf date shortly after.
    If the A10 has a quad core, 12MP camera, removable storage, 4GB RAM and 720p, and amazing battery life, it will be a winner.
    06-17-13 10:31 PM
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/18/tcl-idol-x-s950/

280$ for a phone with quad core and 1080p display...

I seriously do wonder how BlackBerry wants to justify a premium price tag on the A10...

You mean these quotes?

If the A10 has a quad core, 12MP camera, removable storage, 4GB RAM and 720p, and amazing battery life, it will be a winner.
    Amazing battery life is something the Droid Razr Maxx HD had, because it used a 3.3k mah battery on subpar specs.

Today we know that it was a big success.
    Btw, that was sarcasm.

What I can say without sarcasm, is that Nokia will be the king of camera phones again.
    Everything else out there that is not a pureview phone, will be a fisher price camera, compared to the new EOS flagship.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-13 01:34 PM
    TCL launches 5-inch 1080p Idol X (S950) smartphone with 6.99mm thickness, ultra-thin bezel

280$ for a phone with quad core and 1080p display...

I seriously do wonder how BlackBerry wants to justify a premium price tag on the A10...

Amazing battery life is something the Droid Razr Maxx HD had, because it used a 3.3k mah battery on subpar specs.

Today we know that it was a big success.
    Btw, that was sarcasm.

What I can say without sarcasm, is that Nokia will be the king of camera phones again.
    Everything else out there that is not a pureview phone, will be a fisher price camera, compared to the new EOS flagship.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe BB will just keep to the QWERTY side of the fence at the $280 price range .. does not directly compete.
    06-18-13 07:32 PM
    Maybe BB will just keep to the QWERTY side of the fence at the $280 price range .. does not directly compete.
    I understand that this is not BlackBerry's direct competition, but if a chinese no name manufacturer can implement such a screen, it becomes just ridiculous if BlackBerry launches a flagship without one...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 06-18-13 at 08:36 PM.
    06-18-13 07:58 PM
    I understand that this is not BlackBerry's direct competition, but if a chinese no name manufacturer can implement such a screen, it becomes just ridiculous if BlackBerry launches a flagship without one...

Posted via CB10
    No. What is ridicilous is to implement a screen with a resolution (1080p) that is higher and indistinguishable from what is already more detailed from what the human eye can see. But I know, you are into marketing "features" that no one needs. Thanks

Huawei just released their flagship phone the Ascend P6. It's only 720p.
    06-18-13 09:33 PM
    No. What is ridicilous is to implement a screen with a resolution (1080p) that is higher and indistinguishable from what is already more detailed from what the human eye can see. But I know, you are into marketing "features" that no one needs. Thanks

Huawei just released their flagship phone the Ascend P6. It's only 720p.
    You do realize that 1080p can serve a more of a purpose than "what the eye can see" right?

Better detail when zoomed into pictures and reading online/books.

You mean these quotes?

If Motorola was able to release this phone, manufactured in the US, on every carrier, at a price that dramatically undercuts the current generation of superphones, the Moto X is absolutely something worth keeping an eye on. Motorola plans to officially announce this phone before the end of Summer, with an on shelf date shortly after.

You need to up your comprehension skills because they said for the PRICE. Key word PRICE. The word you need to focus on is in caps, once again: PRICE.

I also bolded and italicized the part you need to focus on.

Makes all the difference buddy. Knowing BlackBerry, you really think they'll release their flagship with the same rumored PRICE as the Moto X?

I think I'll start writing in caps to put in emphasis so things are easy for you to comprehend.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    06-18-13 09:47 PM
    You do realize that 1080p can serve a more of a purpose than "what the eye can see" right?
    Sorry. If the photo is stored at a higher resolution that 720, you don't gain anything in detail. You are zooming in on an area and the pixels on the phone are still higher than you eye can see. It is all to do on the storage of the image, not the screen.

Reading distance is 14 inches, you can't see any better.

You need to up your comprehension skills because they said for the PRICE. Key word PRICE. The word you need to focus on is in caps, once again: PRICE.

Makes all the difference buddy. Knowing BlackBerry, you really think they'll release their flagship with the same rumored PRICE as the Moto X?

I think I'll start writing in caps to put in emphasis so things are easy for you to comprehend.
    So you are saying that it isn't screen resolutions that sell, it's now price? Or is it another feature like battery life, or a 24MP camera? All I am hearing is that if the phone doesn't have 1080p, it will fail. I don't agree with your assessment.
    06-18-13 09:57 PM

Thank you very much!!!

I repeated the same thing over and over again:
    If BlackBerry uses a 720p display and makes the device cheap enough, there will be no problem at all.

But seeing the Q5 sold for 350 pounds and Q10 being in another league price wise, the A10 surely won't come in cheap.
    And this is the whole problem.

[QUOTE=Bluenoser63;8675954

Huawei just released their flagship phone the Ascend P6. It's only 720p.[/QUOTE]

http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_ascen...-news-6114.php

And it costs 330$ off contract.
    I'll take 10 A10 for that price.

If BlackBerry launches with that price, there will be no issue with using the cheaper 720p panel.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 06-18-13 at 10:12 PM.
    rnhld likes this.
    06-18-13 10:02 PM
    Sorry. If the photo is stored at a higher resolution that 720, you don't gain anything in detail. You are zooming in on an area and the pixels on the phone are still higher than you eye can see. It is all to do on the storage of the image, not the screen.

Reading distance is 14 inches, you can't see any better.

So you are saying that it isn't screen resolutions that sell, it's now price? Or is it another feature like battery life, or a 24MP camera? All I am hearing is that if the phone doesn't have 1080p, it will fail. I don't agree with your assessment.
    It's about the price and the different USP a phone has.

When Nokia makes a 42mpx cameraphone, but uses a 720p screen, there is no problem with selling this phone for a premium price tag because there is a reason for the price.

The phone will fail, if the price isn't right for what it offers.
    They had a good balance with the Z10 and I love the Q10.

But if BlackBerry wants to compete directly with the big guys, in the big display segment, then they need to offer a lot for the money the A10 will cost.

I don't want to make predictions if the phone fails, because I do not hope so, but the initial strategic position BlackBerry is in, with a such a device is worse than they were with the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-13 10:11 PM
523 ... 1314151617 ...