I'll disagree with this. There just isn't any evidence to suggest people are clued in to 1080p or that it drives their purchasing decisions on smartphones. If you have it then I'm happy to see it.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. Nerds care. Most smartphone consumers will just take is based upon how it looks IRL, not on paper. The iPhone isn't even 720p, for example.

Resolution is not the be all and end all of a phone.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 04:58 PM
    I think it's worked out well. They have more apps than they would have otherwise. What apps did you develop?

Posted via CB10
    It definitely helped them bring in quantity. It gave them a big number to boast about, so I geuss we can't call the developer promotions a total failure. I don't belive they had the effect BlackBerry was hoping for either though.

Sadly, the big time app developers with the apps BB10 really needs, won't be impressed with a free phone or a few hundred dollars in cash. So the promotions BlackBerry has been doing makes little difference for those apps. For them, BlackBerry should skip sucking up all together and just pay them off like Microsoft has been doing. Get a few of those big names, and there would be less reasons for consumers to pass on BB10. That can only help adoption and increased adoption would naturally attract more developers.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    06-16-13 05:05 PM
    Agreed. Nerds care. Most smartphone consumers will just take is based upon how it looks IRL, not on paper. The iPhone isn't even 720p, for example.

Posted via CB10
    The iPhone has a smaller screen...
    If Apple launches a 5 inch iPhone without it being ultra retina, they will be laughed at just because they began the high PPI trend.

It has nothing to do with nerds, or visibility.
    It's just about feature parity.

If the A10 will cost 400-500$ without a contract, there would be no problem with a 720p display.

Posted via CB10
    bekkay likes this.
    06-16-13 05:06 PM
    It definitely helped them bring in quantity. It gave them a big number to boast about, so I geuss we can't call the developer promotions a total failure. I don't belive they had the effect BlackBerry was hoping for either though.

Sadly, the big time app developers with the apps BB10 really needs, won't be impressed with a free phone or a few hundred dollars in cash. So the promotions BlackBerry has been doing makes little difference for those apps. For them, BlackBerry should skip sucking up all together and just pay them off like Microsoft has been doing. Get a few of those big names, and there would be less reasons for consumers to pass on BB10. That can only help adoption and increased adoption would naturally attract more developers.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    The thing is, that what BlackBerry did was extremely important.

To bridge the app gap as good as they could for the launch, was everything they could do.
    And they did a good job with that.

The problem is, that this initial gap can be overcome by sucking up to devs like you.
    But the rest of the gap to the big named app stores, can only be closed, through hard numbers and good sales.

For that, an incentive to buy for the consumer must exist.
    BB10 has a lot of them, and I love the platform.
    But to launch a premium device with specs from last year is just a stupid decision.

What also has to be said, is that BlackBerry is doing devs and the platform as a whole a disfavour, by not adapting 1080p displays.
    The reason is, that the more apps are being coded for 720p and a 4.2 inch screen, without 1080p and a 5 inch screen in mind, the harder it will be to drive the adoption of apps with 1080p support forward.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 05:14 PM
    I am thinking that this will not hold to be true. Who knows what the future will bring in regards to the A10? I prefer to just wait and see.
    06-16-13 05:45 PM

Posted via CB10
    The iphone screen is sharp,bright and accurate which the A10 will not be; A10 is just big that's it. IPS LCD > Pentile OLED
    06-16-13 05:48 PM
    The iphone screen is sharp,bright and accurate which the A10 will not be; A10 is just big that's it. IPS LCD > Pentile OLED

You say this as a fact or a guess? you've tried it already?

Posted via CB10
    Crackberrykills likes this.
    06-16-13 05:56 PM
    You say this as a fact or a guess? you've tried it already?

Posted via CB10
    Fact, go look at the S3 display. 1280x720 OLED, pretty much the same as the A10 except the A10 is even lower ppi than that of the S3. It's not difficult to make an accurate prediction based on what's out there. It's a fact that LCD is more accurate,sharper,brighter than OLED at the same resolution and screen size.
    06-16-13 06:18 PM
    Fact, go look at the S3 display. 1280x720 OLED
    What I meant was, how do you know what the A10 screen will look like?

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 06:20 PM
    Same technology therefore same attributes...
    06-16-13 06:22 PM
    Is OLED the same as AMOLED? And what about Super AMOLED?

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 06:36 PM
    I hope it's not OLED.

And Thor said they're not in a spec race, they're in an experience one.

Well, they're lagging behind on both fronts. Do they really have a way of beating iOS7?

Better something than nothing.
    06-16-13 07:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    yes OLED is the same as AMOLED and super AMOLED is just what samsung calls their AMOLED screens, it makes them sound better than everyone else but its no different
    06-16-13 07:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMOLED#Super_AMOLED_Plus

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 07:22 PM
    Fact, go look at the S3 display. 1280x720 OLED, pretty much the same as the A10 except the A10 is even lower ppi than that of the S3. It's not difficult to make an accurate prediction based on what's out there. It's a fact that LCD is more accurate,sharper,brighter than OLED at the same resolution and screen size.
    Well I think the ppi on the A10 would be higher, given that it's smaller than the 4.8 s3 screen.

Z10? Why yes it is.
    06-16-13 07:58 PM
    I hope it's some sort of plus version since that isn't pentile. I cannot stand reading text on amoled displays
    06-16-13 08:40 PM
    I hope it's some sort of plus version since that isn't pentile. I cannot stand reading text on amoled displays
    We can all hope...

I'd prefer them just using a 1080p display, because even though it uses a pentile matrix has such a high PPI ratio that it doesn't matter anymore.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 09:11 PM
    I hope it's not OLED.

And Thor said they're not in a spec race, they're in an experience one.

Well, they're lagging behind on both fronts. Do they really have a way of beating iOS7?

Better something than nothing.
    You lost me there. iOS7 reminds me of BlackBerry OS6. I'm not seeing anything to get excited about with iOS7.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 09:13 PM
    You lost me there. iOS7 reminds me of BlackBerry OS6. I'm not seeing anything to get excited about with iOS7.

Posted via CB10
    Neither do I.

I think the iPhone5 is a beautiful phone, but the OS never enticed me enough to buy it.

They still have 30% marketshare though.
    Therefore we can assume that they make something right.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 09:36 PM
    Thank you!
    I hope they will use "Super AMOLED Plus" even at 720p might be interesting
    A curious question though what will happen with the "Z" line? Eventually they'll run out of letters.. idk just hoping for the best very content with my Z10 atm.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 11:51 PM
    Are you a programmer doing cascades? If not, then your statement about doing it wrong is a joke. If you are a programmer, please tell me how to make a good looking grid in Cascades without using "precise location of elements" which also includes precise widths and heights. One that adapts to all screen resolutions including 1080p specs. Please provide code.

My comments to non-developers are valid when they are making statements about issues developing for a platform. If they
    But why do you need precise widths and heights? Being a slave to the device resolution is rarely a good thing. I won't say you never need precise locations, but I really can't think of a use case where you would have to.
    06-17-13 12:29 AM
    I am curious. Can you please tell me where the layout manager in the QNX� Momentics� IDE is located since I am likely doing it wrong.
    Layouts - Cascades for BB 10 - BlackBerry Developer
    06-17-13 12:31 AM
    In the picture on the left you can clearly see that the angle of the phone and the lighting are causing a reflection.
    Also my Z10 has a much brighter screen than both phones in both pictures, even when not on full brightness.

Posted via CB10
    Man, get outta here with that phone angle crap. Even if the phone is at an angle, Kevin noted that the Z10 had a yellow-tint in his first review. And don't assume I meant the phones in the picture were at their brightest settings, I have an iPhone 5 and that's certainly not at its brightest. It's been noted several times that the Z10 wasn't as bright as other phones on the brightest setting, even here at crackberry.

Idk what Z10 you're looking at but mine on 100% is supernova bright, have you personally used a Z?

Z10? Why yes it is.
    Yes.
    06-17-13 12:45 AM
    Well I think the ppi on the A10 would be higher, given that it's smaller than the 4.8 s3 screen.

Z10? Why yes it is.
    Huh? Then shouldn't the iPhone 5 have a higher PPI than the Z10 because the screen is smaller?
    06-17-13 12:56 AM
    Man, get outta here with that phone angle crap. Even if the phone is at an angle, Kevin noted that the Z10 had a yellow-tint in his first review. And don't assume I meant the phones in the picture were at their brightest settings, I have an iPhone 5 and that's certainly not at its brightest. It's been noted several times that the Z10 wasn't as bright as other phones on the brightest setting, even here at crackberry.

Yes.
    The yellow tint was one of the first things they fixed after release.

(And btw, please don't reply to people in such a rude way, I would never speak that way to you, thank you.)

Posted via CB10
    06-17-13 01:16 AM
523 ... 1112131415 ...