the only thing I can confirm is that the A10 will have a resolution of 800x600.
    LOL. Better tell BBRY.
    Barracuda7772 likes this.
    06-16-13 11:18 AM
    Or just use the larger assets to begin with and they'll be scaled down.
    Thanks for telling me that you want blurry assets.

I don't see how you think it's easier to support the Q10's resolution than a larger 1080p resolution. But here's my guess: your UI uses lots of assets and on the Z10 everything below 720 pixels is blank.
    It not only uses assets, but nested Containers to get the correct formatting. There is also the problem of 768p vs 720p width which means the Z10 apps need to have a Container with a set specified pixel padding so it will fit a Q10 screen. I suspect from your comments that either, you apps are very simple or you haven't done much work in Cascades.
    06-16-13 11:32 AM
    That's the whole point of the layout manager - so you don't have to have pixel-perfect layout locations.
    I am curious. Can you please tell me where the layout manager in the QNX� Momentics� IDE is located since I am likely doing it wrong.
    06-16-13 11:39 AM
    So you have no evidence other than to state that Apple's retina screen is "resolutionary". Apple's screen has to do with ppi, not 1080p. iPhones don't have 1080p and have worse specs than the Z10 or the upcoming A10. So you proved that 1080p isn't "it". BBRY should just call their new 720p screens "eye candy" and market that then.
    No, I didn't say apple's screen has better resolution (If you read through my posts, I have said that my Z10 has a better screen).I said that when apple called their retina screen "resolutionary", they caused the average person to be more aware of resolution.
    I agree that you can't see any difference. But the average person, when comparing a phone sees something with a 1080 full HD and another with "only" 720, because he doesn't know any better, automatically will go with the higher resolution.
    Also you haven't commented on the other part of my post about the fact that as the future of mobile computing, when my phone operating system is open on my car screen or my office desktop or my conference room big screen, the average person will see the difference in the resolution.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 11:48 AM
    My comments to non-developers are valid when they are making statements about issues developing for a platform.
    No they are not in this thread.

People are asking how it works on other platforms and why you are making such an issue out of it, if BlackBerry will use a 1080p screen on its next A10 like device anyway.

I still haven't seen a compelling answer from you, considering these points.

I also do not not understand why you oppose technological advancements so much.
    There will come the day where phones will have the power of current ULV Notebooks.

What will you say then?
    Yeah, BlackBerry is not in the spec race, they should implement technology from 2007 not 2016?

1080p is the next standard for devices with 4,5 inches and more.
    I seriously do not understand the difficulty of understanding that.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 01:05 PM
    No, I didn't say apple's screen has better resolution (If you read through my posts, I have said that my Z10 has a better screen).I said that when apple called their retina screen "resolutionary", they caused the average person to be more aware of resolution.
    I agree that you can't see any difference. But the average person, when comparing a phone sees something with a 1080 full HD and another with "only" 720, because he doesn't know any better, automatically will go with the higher resolution.
    Also you haven't commented on the other part of my post about the fact that as the future of mobile computing, when my phone operating system is open on my car screen or my office desktop or my conference room big screen, the average person will see the difference in the resolution.

Posted via CB10
    In the future with a docking station, it will output the element in 1080p or even higher. The phone screen will not look like what is output to the big screen or desktop screen. It will be different. The docking station will take care of it.
    06-16-13 01:21 PM
    No they are not in this thread.

People are asking how it works on other platforms and why you are making such an issue out of it, if BlackBerry will use a 1080p screen on its next A10 like device anyway.

I still haven't seen a compelling answer from you, considering these points.

I also do not not understand why you oppose technological advancements so much.
    There will come the day where phones will have the power of current ULV Notebooks.

What will you say then?
    Yeah, BlackBerry is not in the spec race, they should implement technology from 2007 not 2016?

1080p is the next standard for devices with 4,5 inches and more.
    I seriously do not understand the difficulty of understanding that.

Posted via CB10
    1080p on a small device isn't noticeable to the end user. It is a waste of resources. I don't why you can't figure it out. I am all for new features and elements that make a difference. 1080p on a 50" TV is noticeable when compared to 720p. On a 5" screen it is not. If there is no benefit and in fact a drawback in lower battery life, cost and developer time, then I am not for it just because it exists. I ask you for reasons why it needs to be there and all you can say is because all people will magically start to care about nothing in a phone except 1080p.
    06-16-13 01:23 PM
    1080p on a small device isn't noticeable to the end user. It is a waste of resources. I don't why you can't figure it out.
    Because, actually this is not the point.
    The move to 1080p already happened.

Technology strives forward, not backwards. For a dev you don't understand this aspect very well.

Posted via CB10
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    06-16-13 01:26 PM
    1080p on a small device isn't noticeable to the end user. It is a waste of resources. I don't why you can't figure it out. I am all for new features and elements that make a difference. 1080p on a 50" TV is noticeable when compared to 720p. On a 5" screen it is not. If there is no benefit and in fact a drawback in lower battery life, cost and developer time, then I am not for it just because it exists. I ask you for reasons why it needs to be there and all you can say is because all people will magically start to care about nothing in a phone except 1080p.
    As has been said many times, WE know that it's not noticeable on a small device, but the average end user does not. They see higher resolution on other phones and assume that it makes a difference.

Blackberry doesn't need to target the devs , the end user needs to be impressed(of course the devs are a very important target also as the apps need to be there for the end user). You seem to be ignoring or not understanding this point.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 01:48 PM
    As has been said many times, WE know that it's not noticeable on a small device, but the average end user does not. They see higher resolution on other phones and assume that it makes a difference.

Blackberry doesn't need to target the devs , the end user needs to be impressed(of course the devs are a very important target also as the apps need to be there for the end user). You seem to be ignoring or not understanding this point.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry has to court and please the developers. Thankfully they recognize that.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 02:06 PM
    BlackBerry has to court and please the developers. Thankfully they recognize that.

Posted via CB10
    I did include that in my post, maybe I shouldn't have put in parentheses. I didn't mean to understate the importance of the devs, I just think that our blue nosed friend is missing the point.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 02:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    Court and please consumers and the developers will naturally follow. Look at How pathetic Android's app ecosystem used to be and look at it today.

Do you think that change with Android occured because Google started sucking up to developers, or do you think it may have happened because consumers began purchasing more and more Android-based devices?

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    06-16-13 02:30 PM
    Because, actually this is not the point.
    The move to 1080p already happened.

Technology strives forward, not backwards. For a dev you don't understand this aspect very well.

Posted via CB10
    Really? Let's see Android YES. Apple NO. WP NO. BB10 NO. It's only happened on one platform. I don't hear from you guys a benefit to the user, just a pissing contest element for the phones.
    06-16-13 02:33 PM

Posted via CB10
    What is the biggest complaint from consumers? No apps or poor quality apps. So you are ignoring that apps are more important that 1080p.
    06-16-13 02:34 PM
    Really? Let's see Android YES. Apple NO. WP NO. BB10 NO. It's only happened on one platform. I don't hear from you guys a benefit to the user, just a pissing contest element for the phones.
    If I'm not mistaken, Android currently has more of the marketshare than the other 3 combined.
    As far your second point, I don't use such language, but that is exactly what the end user understands, not the practical benefits.

What is the biggest complaint from consumers? No apps or poor quality apps. So you are ignoring that apps are more important that 1080p.
    If enough end users are "attracted" by the specs and buy the phone, then the apps will come ("If you build it, they will come")

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 02:38 PM
    4K is a nice name!

4x as much pixels as FULL HD
    around 4000 Pixels wide

Was afraid they call it SUPER NEW FULL MEGA CLEAR RETINA XHD+

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 02:39 PM
    WP8 will have 1080p support this year for next year's devices, again likely following the spec war race led by android
    06-16-13 03:02 PM
    WP8 will have 1080p support this year for next year's devices, again likely following the spec war race led by android
    even windows phone 8+ is more efficent than android so whatever
    06-16-13 03:12 PM

Since WP is BlackBerry's direct competition for the third place this means that 1080p will be the standard for high end devices even sooner.

BlackBerry can only lose, by not speaking early enough to devs about 1080p support.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 03:24 PM
    Since WP is BlackBerry's direct competition for the third place this means that 1080p will be the standard for high end devices even sooner.

BlackBerry can only lose, by not speaking early enough to devs about 1080p support.

Posted via CB10
    the wp8 won't be out till 2014, bb said they won't change 720p this year, it will happen next year
    06-16-13 03:33 PM
    the wp8 won't be out till 2014, bb said they won't change 720p this year, it will happen next year
    To my knowledge BlackBerry has not talked about 1080p support.
    Care to share a link to your info?

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 04:00 PM
    Court and please consumers and the developers will naturally follow. Look at How pathetic Android's app ecosystem used to be and look at it today.

Do you think that change with Android occured because Google started sucking up to developers, or do you think it may have happened because consumers began purchasing more and more Android-based devices?

BlackBerry and Google have completely different models for how they deploy their respective OS. Obviously today's market is significantly different than it was when the G1launched. I personally do think BlackBerry needs to suck up to developers. I think they need to also appeal to consumers. In my opinion they are striking a balance.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 04:06 PM
    To my knowledge BlackBerry has not talked about 1080p support.
    Care to share a link to your info?

Posted via CB10
    well if Thorsten Heins said 2013 they would ne focused on the resolutions they currently have, even a very simple mind could deduce that new resolutions are coming and if you look at the market you will see oh whadda know 1080p phones.
    and here you were trying to be coy
    06-16-13 04:22 PM
    BlackBerry and Google have completely different models for how they deploy their respective OS. Obviously today's market is significantly different than it was when the G1launched. I personally do think BlackBerry needs to suck up to developers. I think they need to also appeal to consumers. In my opinion they are striking a balance.

Posted via CB10
    They have sucked up to developers, free PlayBooks, LEZ10s, the Dev Alpha devices and $100 per app port-a-thon promotions are the only reasons I and many many others even bothered with making apps for BlackBerry.

Let's be honest here, I knew going in that I would be getting free devices and cash out of the deal. Heck, they even paid my way to Orlando and gave me $500 spending money. Those promotions were guaranteed return on investment and the only reason I spent the time making my apps. Without the developer promotions, I wouldn't have BlackBerry apps. I'd still just be making apps for Android.

So BlackBerry has sucked up to developers, but it hasn't really worked out all that well has it? We still hear from BlackBerry 10 users complaining about the app situation. Is BlackBerry just going to keep doing developer promotions? I'd think it would be wiser use that money to build devices that consumers want, market them well and create a platform that developers want to develop for without being bribed.

But if BlackBerry does want to continue giving away cash and devices in trade for apps, I'll be there to help em out.

antiRIM likes this.
    06-16-13 04:29 PM
    They have sucked up to developers, free PlayBooks, LEZ10s, the Dev Alpha devices and $100 per app port-a-thon promotions are the only reasons I and many many others even bothered with making apps for BlackBerry.

Let's be honest here, I knew going in that I would be getting free devices and cash out of the deal. Heck, they even paid my way to Orlando and gave me $500 spending money. Those promotions were guaranteed return on investment and the only reason I spent the time making my apps. Without the developer promotions, I wouldn't have BlackBerry apps. I'd still just be making apps for Android.

So BlackBerry has sucked up to developers, but it hasn't really worked out all that well has it? We still hear from BlackBerry 10 users complaining about the app situation. Is BlackBerry just going to keep doing developer promotions? I'd think it would be wiser use that money to build devices that consumers want, market them well and create a platform that developers want to develop for without being bribed.

But if BlackBerry does want to continue giving away cash and devices in trade for apps, I'll be there to help em out.

I think it's worked out well. They have more apps than they would have otherwise. What apps did you develop?

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 04:51 PM
523 ... 1011121314 ...