I normally wouldn't agree that much with the user Texazzpete, but the point is that 1080p will become a standard soon anyway for displays with 4,5 inches+.

It will happen the moment when display manufacturers can offer them for more or less equal costs compared to what 720p displays cost now.

This happens all the time in the tech industry.
    Easy examples would be full hd TV's. Practically no 720p panels are being produced as of now.

We can also observe this with RAM and HDDs/SSDs.
    The cost per GB diminishes with time, so that one can get the double amount of RAM/HDD/SSD space for the same price in a very short period of time, compared to what it would have cost x amount of time before.

Today I can get 256GB SSD space for the same price of 128GB, 2 years past.

This list could continue endlessly and does not exclude smartphone displays.
    It means that display manufacturers will just stop to manufacturer, or make 720p displays equal in cost to 1080p displays.

This has already been started with the current top of the line Androids.
    They are sold for the same price as their predecessors were introduced last year, but with the S4 octacore, literally doubles the specs.

The move to 1080p has already happened and if BlackBerry wants to offer premium phones with a premium price tag, they will have to adapt these displays anyways for their bigger screened devices.

Therefore, devs will have to code for this resolution anyway in a very forseeable future.

Posted via CB10
    You may be right. You make a compelling argument. I would guess BlackBerry felt if they could get the apps that would get them the users and then they would be in a more favorable position to make changes.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 03:50 PM
    Developing for BB10 offers a user base that pays more $ per app, than on the other platforms.

As a dev, you gain a first to market advantage and do not have to compete against millions of other small fish.
    BB10 app development offers the possibility to become a big fish, in a small sea, just because the sheer number of devs is far smaller.
    BB10 users will buy lots of mediocre apps, because the pent up demand is incredibly high.
    Every new BB10 device (for now), means a bigger userbase and more potential revenue for devs.
    That's a great theory, but we have seen in practise it does not work.
    Otherwise the biggest complaint about Blackberry wouldnt be lack of apps
    06-15-13 03:53 PM
    As wad said before, 1080p is becoming an industry standard so devs will have to follow suit either way, be it now, or when the next high-end flagship will be released.

So, no matter what happens, BlackBerry will be lying to you one way or another, as BlackBerry, if it exists long enough, will switch to 1080p anyway.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, eventually Blackberry will have to switch. But to do so so soon after promising a standard to devs is going to be bad for them.
    I agree with your points, Blackberry will need to keep moving with the competition.

The real question here is why have Blackberry put themselves in this position? Isnt it a tad worrying that they showed this lack of vision by making the 2 resolution claim not too long ago.
    06-15-13 03:57 PM
    Really? Most people don't have a clue about 1080p, but the do know what apps are not available.
    Most people use Android and many of them are aware of 1080p. Now, the question is whether anyone using a high-end Android will trade it for something that is arguably inferior in terms of specs for the SAME or MORE money. Even if they like the UI and everything else, they will still consider the 720p screen to be a trade-off.
    06-15-13 04:04 PM
    OK Superman who can see a difference that the human eye cannot.
    and
    Since the human eye, other than yours cannot see the difference, it may not be standard as soon as you think.
    Let me ask this question again. I never got the answer:

Can you tell the difference between a 720p content on a 720p HDTV screen vs a 1080p content on a 1080p HDTV screen from 10 feet away?

Answer to this question is also the answer to the question you posed earlier: "Who cares about 1080p?"

Same people who cared about 1080p resolution in HDTVs and same people who are waiting for 4K TVs.
    06-15-13 04:08 PM
    and

Let me ask this question again. I never got the answer:

Can you tell the difference between a 720p content on a 720p HDTV screen vs a 1080p content on a 1080p HDTV screen from 10 feet away?

Answer to this question is also the answer to the question you posed earlier: "Who cares about 1080p?"

Same people who cared about 1080p resolution in HDTVs and same people who are waiting for 4K TVs.
    We are talking 4-5 inch smartphone screens from 10-12 inches away. Get on point.
    06-15-13 05:33 PM
    We are talking 4-5 inch smartphone screens from 10-12 inches away. Get on point.
    he has a point, care to re read ?
    MasterOfBinary and bekkay like this.
    06-15-13 05:35 PM
    he has a point, care to re read ?
    I have a point as well

By far a better one

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 05:49 PM
    Really? Most people don't have a clue about 1080p, but the do know what apps are not available.
    Btw, you are very wrong, people are very clued in on resolution even if they can't actually see the difference, it's all about marketing.
    Also, as BB10 is the future of mobile computing, I will be able to see the difference when my phone operating system is open on all my various sized screens from my car to my desk to the conference room.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by zeeten; 06-15-13 at 11:28 PM.
    06-15-13 11:16 PM
    Btw, you are very wrong, people are very clued in on resolution even if they can't actually see the difference, it's all about marketing.
    Also, as BB10 is the future of mobile computing, I will be able to see the difference when my phone operating system is open on all my various sized screens from my car to my desk to the conference room.

Posted via CB10
    I'll disagree with this. There just isn't any evidence to suggest people are clued in to 1080p or that it drives their purchasing decisions on smartphones. If you have it then I'm happy to see it.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 11:47 PM
    I'll disagree with this. There just isn't any evidence to suggest people are clued in to 1080p or that it drives their purchasing decisions on smartphones. If you have it then I'm happy to see it.

Posted via CB10
    I didn't say anything about evidence or numbers or facts. I'm talking about what average people discuss when comparing phones. It started when apple decided to call the retina screen "resolutionary".

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 12:02 AM
    IF BB has too many screen resolutions, they will lose developers like myself. I don't have time to chase multiple screen resolutions. It is pretty clear that you have no clue about software development. And what is the biggest complaint from consumers about BB10, no apps. I rather have more apps than less apps and higher resolution that really doesn't make that much difference in visuals anyway.
    I take it you don't develop for Android.
    06-16-13 12:33 AM

Posted via CB10
    Is there evidence to the contrary?

I have seen a few people in this thread claiming that consumers don't care about 1080p screens.

So is there evidence to suggest that people are not clued in to 1080p or that it's not an important factor that drives their purchasing decision on smartphones?

If you have it, then I am happy to see it
    06-16-13 12:38 AM
    Just a little off topic question:

Who came up with the idea to name the double of 1080p, 4K?

I tried to get behind this naming scheme but no matter what math I do, I do not get 4K.

1080*2= 2160
    1920*2= 3840
    1920*1080= 2073600
    3840*2160= 8294400

Why 4k????????

Posted via CB10
    Because horizontal resolution is "around" 4K. I don't think there's really a reason like the 4096 bytes of memory in 4KB.
    06-16-13 12:40 AM
    Because horizontal resolution is "around" 4K. I don't think there's really a reason like the 4096 bytes of memory in 4KB.
    Thank you for answering!

Why did they jump from using the vertical nomenclature of 480p, 720p and 1080p to using horizontal pixels?

Marketing much?

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 12:44 AM

Posted via CB10
    No, most people don't pay much attention to resolution. Most people don't keep up with tech enough to really care about PPI. I would imagine most people walk into their carrier store and just look at the devices on display and make a decision. However, this is Crackberry and most everyone here is very current with phone specs so it may seem more important to us, but most could care less.

Ex: Take a old (and I mean old) Nokia device and slap a 250000x450000 pixel screen on it, and then hand someone a Z10 or iPhone/Android device. I wonder which one they would pick..
    06-16-13 12:49 AM
    No, most people don't pay much attention to resolution.
    Just like they don't pay attention to camera megapixels
    06-16-13 01:00 AM
    We still haven't got netflix/instagram by the way
    And you're blaming that on the device resolutions? Maybe consider that they want a market to sell to. And if all the review sites are bashing BB because of substandard hardware there might never be a market.
    06-16-13 01:33 AM
    Thank you for answering!

Why did they jump from using the vertical nomenclature of 480p, 720p and 1080p to using horizontal pixels?

Marketing much?

Posted via CB10
    Maybe lol. Plus you get 4 times the number of pixels.
    06-16-13 01:47 AM
    OK Superman who can see a difference that the human eye cannot. What business(es) do you run as you seem to know all about what Blackberry should do as a business case.

My apps are currently in development. I am trying to create one that requires precise location of elements and that will work on all three resolutions as defined by Blackberry for current and future devices. That is why I know what it takes to develop for the BB10 platform. It comes from experience. Since you don't have any, then you will either take my word for it or experience it for yourself, by reading the docs

https://developer.blackberry.com/cas...ces/index.html

https://developer.blackberry.com/cas...ion/index.html

https://developer.blackberry.com/cas...solutions.html

and downloading the development tools and trying yourself. When you have done that, we can talk.

https://developer.blackberry.com/cascades/downloads/
    I hate to break it to you, but if your UI requires "precise location of elements" you're likely doing it wrong. That's the whole point of the layout manager - so you don't have to have pixel-perfect layout locations. And assets? Sure you might need larger assets. Or just use the larger assets to begin with and they'll be scaled down. I don't see how you think it's easier to support the Q10's resolution than a larger 1080p resolution. But here's my guess: your UI uses lots of assets and on the Z10 everything below 720 pixels is blank.

Also: why be so condescending to the non-developers? Just because someone hasn't developed an app doesn't make them stupid. For all we know you might not even be a developer either.
    06-16-13 01:59 AM
    Can you confirm if A10 comes with 16GB or 32 GB in addition to having microSD? Is it true that camera and battery will be improved with A10? Will all A10 models support 4G?
    Thank you.
    06-16-13 07:51 AM
    Can you confirm if A10 comes with 16GB or 32 GB in addition to having microSD? Is it true that camera and battery will be improved with A10? Will all A10 models support 4G?
    Thank you.
    the only thing I can confirm is that the A10 will have a resolution of 800x600.
    bekkay likes this.
    06-16-13 07:58 AM
    Is there evidence to the contrary?

I have seen a few people in this thread claiming that consumers don't care about 1080p screens.

So is there evidence to suggest that people are not clued in to 1080p or that it's not an important factor that drives their purchasing decision on smartphones?

If you have it, then I am happy to see it
    I have no idea if there is. A poster above said he hears people discuss it regularly. I've never heard it mentioned once among the people I know when choosing a smart phone. The lack of evidence anyone seems to have in either direction makes me wonder why you're so worried about the aristo not having it. But you are and I'm not. I suppose we'll see one day if the concern was warranted. The headline very well may read, "BlackBerry comeback thwarted by 720p screen on phablet."

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 10:48 AM
    I didn't say anything about evidence or numbers or facts. I'm talking about what average people discuss when comparing phones. It started when apple decided to call the retina screen "resolutionary".

Posted via CB10
    So you have no evidence other than to state that Apple's retina screen is "resolutionary". Apple's screen has to do with ppi, not 1080p. iPhones don't have 1080p and have worse specs than the Z10 or the upcoming A10. So you proved that 1080p isn't "it". BBRY should just call their new 720p screens "eye candy" and market that then.
    06-16-13 11:11 AM
    I hate to break it to you, but if your UI requires "precise location of elements" you're likely doing it wrong. That's the whole point of the layout manager - so you don't have to have pixel-perfect layout locations. And assets? Sure you might need larger assets. Or just use the larger assets to begin with and they'll be scaled down. I don't see how you think it's easier to support the Q10's resolution than a larger 1080p resolution. But here's my guess: your UI uses lots of assets and on the Z10 everything below 720 pixels is blank.

Also: why be so condescending to the non-developers? Just because someone hasn't developed an app doesn't make them stupid. For all we know you might not even be a developer either.
    Are you a programmer doing cascades? If not, then your statement about doing it wrong is a joke. If you are a programmer, please tell me how to make a good looking grid in Cascades without using "precise location of elements" which also includes precise widths and heights. One that adapts to all screen resolutions including 1080p specs. Please provide code.

My comments to non-developers are valid when they are making statements about issues developing for a platform. If they
    06-16-13 11:17 AM
523 ... 910111213 ...