You were the one to say that BB10 must keep up with Apple. So what is the highest Apple phone resolution? What is the highest WP resolution? Afraid to answer?
    The thing is that the iPhone has a max screen size of 4 inch, and that the reason why the resolution is important is the PPI ratio.

A 5 inch screen needs more pixels to get the same PPI a 4 inch screen does.

Therefore this question is a strawman.

I am still waiting on your answer what apps you developped. I want to use them.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 11:48 AM
    I would love to see the average user stand in front of 2 HDTVs that are identical other than resolution and point out which one is better.
    I'd rather ask an average user to try the higher resolution one for a month and try the lower resolution one for a month, then ask him if something feels not right for the past month

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    06-15-13 11:50 AM
    That HD Angry Birds will play on all resolutions just fine.
    06-15-13 11:53 AM
    I'd rather ask an average user to try the higher resolution one for a month and try the lower resolution one for a month, then ask him if something feels not right for the past month

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    Are you saying you wasted your money on that 1080P TV and millions more consumers will waste money on 4K screens?
    06-15-13 11:55 AM
    That HD Angry Birds will play on all resolutions just fine.
    I'm starting to think you purposefully ignore the "devs put more work on it" and choose to think "everything will automagically turn out to be fine, why are you so lazy and afraid?"

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    06-15-13 11:56 AM
    The thing is that the iPhone has a max screen size of 4 inch, and that the reason why the resolution is important is the PPI ratio.

Therefore this question is a strawman.

I am still waiting on your answer what apps you developped. I want to use them.

Posted via CB10
    How is that a strawman? We've been throwing out PPI numbers throughout this whole thread. I'm pretty sure everyone gets that.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 11:57 AM
    Are you saying you wasted your money on that 1080P TV and millions more consumers will waste money on 4K screens?
    I don't even understand what you're talking about. Who's wasting whose money on what?

People want the "side by side" comparison, I propose the "actual usage comparison".

My monitor is of higher resolution than XBOX 360 can render internally, and 1080 x 2 = 2160, if you want to refer to resolutions, at least be consistent and refer the height

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    06-15-13 11:58 AM
    I'm starting to think you purposefully ignore the "devs put more work on it" and choose to think "everything will automagically turn out to be fine, why are you so lazy and afraid?"

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    Lol. Isn't this what you wrote earlier?:

if you have multiple screen resolutions with differing aspect ratios, you'll essentially have to maintain entirely different separate apps regarding the UI.
    To which, I responded:

"That HD Angry Birds will play on all resolutions just fine. "
    06-15-13 11:59 AM
    What is the highest resolution Apple phone?

Apple is the 100lb giant in the room. They don't need 1080p screens to resonate as 'premium' in the minds of consumers.

You won't even see the resolution beside each device in the store...stuff like resolution and processor clock speed are left for BB, Android and WP to duke it out over

Your question should be about Android, not Apple.
    06-15-13 12:01 PM
    And? If you think the software scaling can achieve the same clarity as actual higher resolution assets, I think I see the problem

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    06-15-13 12:02 PM
    And? If you think the software scaling can achieve the same clarity as actual higher resolution assets, I think I see the problem

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    So, no need to write separate apps (as you suggested), if you write one right with higher resolution assets?

No loss in formatting or restrictions on landscape mode or blurring?
    06-15-13 12:03 PM

To which, I responded:

"That HD Angry Birds will play on all resolutions just fine. "
    Oh really? Try to run Adobe Photoshop CS3 on Retina Display Mac running Windows Boot Camp, see what happens when you only rely on scaling

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    06-15-13 12:05 PM
    I don't even understand what you're talking about. Who's wasting whose money on what?

People want the "side by side" comparison, I propose the "actual usage comparison".

My monitor is of higher resolution than XBOX 360 can render internally, and 1080 x 2 = 2160, if you want to refer to resolutions, at least be consistent and refer the height

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273

I am also not sure what you are talking about, but let's talk about actual usage:

Can you tell the difference between a 720p content on a 720p HDTV screen vs a 1080p content on a 1080p HDTV screen from 10 feet away?
    06-15-13 12:06 PM
    Oh really? Try to run Adobe Photoshop CS3 on Retina Display Mac running Windows Boot Camp, see what happens when you only rely on scaling

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    Why do I need to go through all the hassle with a Mac, Photoshop, Retina Display, and Windows Boot Camp, if I can see right now right here on my Android phone that scaling is working just fine.

Are we not talking about scaling on phones?
    06-15-13 12:08 PM
    So, no need to write separate apps (as you suggested), if you write one right with higher resolution assets?

No loss in formatting or restrictions on landscape mode or blurring?
    You want make an app with 1920 x1080p assets and expect it to work just fine on a 720 x 720 screen without any quirks?

Have you even ever layout a UI?

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    06-15-13 12:09 PM

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    I'm probably not your average user but I can see the difference on my Retina MacBook Pro, and I can see the difference between a 720p TV and a 1080p TV.

And as was said before already, it is not only about what the consumer can use or see. It is the perception that counts.
    Buzzwords that are important, as illustrated by Texazzpete.

Every high end phone will use a 1080p display when the Aristo will come to the market.
    The A10 will cost the same or more, as them and will neither have the specs, nor the apps to justify a premium price.

Nobody needs an MBA to understand why BlackBerry does not want to be in that situation.

But yes, please guys, applaud BlackBerry to use specs that are older than old.

Please applaud BlackBerry to give everyone the ammunition to shoot them down, before they even appeared to the battlefield.

The Z10 was specced good enough when it came out, why BlackBerry wants to take a step back, and go from good enough to subpar should be a riddle for everyone.
    And why people applaud that, should be an even bigger riddle.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 12:10 PM
    Apple is the 100lb giant in the room. They don't need 1080p screens to resonate as 'premium' in the minds of consumers.

You won't even see the resolution beside each device in the store...stuff like resolution and processor clock speed are left for BB, Android and WP to duke it out over

Your question should be about Android, not Apple.
    Windows, Apple and BlackBerry are not android. Android is used by multiple vendors. Windows is to a certain extent but nowhere near the way android is. The best way for them to compete with each other is skins and spec wars. That isn't the model for success for apple, windows and BlackBerry in my opinion. They need to compete on unique platforms that perform well. An example would be the major differences in how my Z10 And SIII operate and the fluidity that exists on my Z that is missing on my S. This despite running the same processor and Ram.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 12:10 PM
    You want make an app with 1920 x1080p assets and expect it to work just fine on a 720 x 720 screen without any quirks?

Have you even ever layout a UI?

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273

Why not, I think it works OK on Android.
    06-15-13 12:12 PM
    Why do I need to go through all the hassle with a Mac, Photoshop, Retina Display, and Windows Boot Camp, if I can see right now right here on my Android phone that scaling is working just fine.

Are we not talking about scaling on phones?
    We are talking about the ease of development of app that supports multiple resolutions. I haven't forgotten about the topic. With sufficient work, you can of course make a UI that scales well. Now, how much of work will a dev put on supporting BlackBerry that doesn't even have enough market share to secure position 3?

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    bekkay likes this.
    06-15-13 12:12 PM

Posted via CB10
    OK Genius. The human eye cannot get more than 239 ppi at 12 inches from the screen. I doubt many people use the phone closer than that, but at 10 inches it would be 286 ppi. Using those ppi value, what resolution would a screen need to be for a 5 inch device? Let's use 16:9 as the format.
    06-15-13 12:13 PM
    We are talking about the ease of development of app that supports multiple resolutions. I haven't forgotten about the topic. With sufficient work, you can of course make a UI that scales well. Now, how much of work will a dev put on supporting BlackBerry that doesn't even have enough market share to secure position 3?

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    Thanks for the answer.

Now, can you, please, answer one more question.

Is scaling the same on BB10 and Android/WP or do BB10 developers have to do much more work than Android/WP developers to make apps that scale well?
    06-15-13 12:15 PM
    I'm probably not your average user but I can see the difference on my Retina MacBook Pro, and I can see the difference between a 720p TV and a 1080p TV.

And as was said before already, it is not only about what the consumer can use or see. It is the perception that counts.
    Buzzwords that are important, as illustrated by Texazzpete.

Every high end phone will use a 1080p display when the Aristo will come to the market.
    The A10 will cost the same or more, as them and will neither have the specs, nor the apps to justify a premium price.

Nobody needs an MBA to understand why BlackBerry does not want to be in that situation.

But yes, please guys, applaud BlackBerry to use specs that are older than old.

Please applaud BlackBerry to give everyone the ammunition to shoot them down, before they even appeared to the battlefield.

The Z10 was specced good enough when it came out, why BlackBerry wants to take a step back, and go from good enough to subpar should be a riddle for everyone.
    And why people applaud that, should be an even bigger riddle.

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't know. HTC and SONY, despite the processing power of their devices, haven't become Samsung v2 with loads of cash to battle Apple in court via hardware sales.

Everyone wants to have better devices, the problem right now is whether to attract users which will eventually complain about lack of apps to everyone within earshot or attract developers with "no fragmentation currently" being one of the incentives.

We still haven't got netflix/instagram by the way

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    06-15-13 12:20 PM
    The discussion is all mute. Here is what Blackberry has told developers.

Note that the BlackBerry Z10 smartphone, the first all-touch device that runs BlackBerry 10, uses a resolution of 768 x 1280, which is slightly different than the resolution that future all-touch devices will use (720 x 1280). Keep this in mind as you initially develop your apps, but for your future development, design your apps with the 720 x 720 and 720 x 1280 resolutions in mind.
    https://developer.blackberry.com/cas...ces/index.html

Blackberry cannot afford to turn away app developers by lying to them.
    06-15-13 12:25 PM
    OK Genius. The human eye cannot get more than 239 ppi at 12 inches from the screen. I doubt many people use the phone closer than that, but at 10 inches it would be 286 ppi. Using those ppi value, what resolution would a screen need to be for a 5 inch device? Let's use 16:9 as the format.
    As I told you before, I can see the difference... Even though after your Math, it should be impossible.

And I am still waiting for the names of your apps, since you seem to be such a prodigy.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 12:26 PM
    Thanks for the answer.

Now, can you, please, answer one more question.

Is scaling the same on BB10 and Android/WP or do BB10 developers have to do much more work than Android/WP developers to make apps that scale well?
    Before I can answer that question, answer these:
    After they put work on iOS and Android apps to scale well, how much more work are they willing to put on BlackBerry devices?
    How much work do they have to do to make the iOS and Android apps scale well in the first place?

iOS use objective C, Android use Java, BlackBerry use C++ and QML. Devs already have to deal with different programming languages on top of dealing with different resolutions. At the end of the day, supporting more device/resolution costs more money: the longer it takes, the more expensive it is. How willing are shareholders to support BlackBerry if they have to deal with more resolutions once 1080p device comes out?

They don't have a magical button that makes ports perfectly

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    06-15-13 12:27 PM
523 ... 7891011 ...