How many people will actually care about the resolution. I think it is more idiotic to risk pissing off devs as apps are more important than screen resolution at this point in time

Posted via CB10
    You are still focusing on the resolution itself, and not it being a part of a package that one buys. Texazzpete and myself already illustrated that well enough.

The package is a premium phone with a premium price.
    If the A10 sells for the same price as the S3 now, ie 400 Euro, I don't think that someone will have a problem with the A10.

But if it sells for around 700 Euro, then it is unjustified compared to the competition, that is the point.
    BlackBerry wants to sell a premium phone and they need the hardware to justify that.

We have seen it with the prices of the Z10 and the Q10 already. The Aristo/Astro/A10 will not be incredibly cheaper, if anything it will even be more expensive.

Why is it so hard to understand, that BlackBerry does not exist in a vacuum? They are not alone out there, and selling one and a half year old Hardware in a premium phone, when you try to make one of the biggest comeback stories of the century, may be good for the margins, but does not help in swaying the public opinion.

Launching without a 1080p screen or the best 720p screen that tops higher res ones in other key areas, is a PR suicide.
    It gives ammunition to declare the phone DOA.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 11:05 AM
    You are not answering my question. My questions was not whether I have ever developed any apps (and the answer that I already gave you in an earlier post is "No") or how difficult it is to develop in general. My question was:

"Why do developers keep developing for Android and WP despite so many screen resolutions?"

I am just curious if Google and Microsoft made developers' job easier by providing appropriate tools whereas BBRY didn't, because you sound like it's very hard to develop for multiple screen resolutions for BB10 and adding 1080P will kill all/most development for the platform.
    It is hard to explain to you since you are not a developer an have no clue as to what needs to be done to develop. What mostly happens is the OS like Android scales the app. This makes the app images and icons blurry. If you don't have images/icons in the app, then your app scales to the different screen resolutions. I can write simple apps on Blackberry that adjust to the screen resolutions. But there you will get complaints that the apps are not good quality. How do you get good quality, you allow for images/icons and custom elements to make it great looking. The moment you do that, then you need to do much more work.

SO. Android apps scale and get blurry and WP does the same. I can do the same will BBRY apps, but you would be the first to complain that they aren't good quality.
    06-15-13 11:07 AM
    How many people will actually care about the resolution. I think it is more idiotic to risk pissing off devs as apps are more important than screen resolution at this point in time

Posted via CB10
    The NUMBER ONE complaint about BB10 phones is there are no apps. That is the first thing you hear from sales people and reviewers and even from a lot of people on this forum. With low volumes of phones with small rewards for developers, making it more difficult will not en-amour developers to the platform. Get the apps first and then work on other things that have little benefit.
    06-15-13 11:11 AM
    You are still focusing on the resolution itself, and not it being a part of a package that one buys. Texazzpete and myself already illustrated that well enough.

The package is a premium phone with a premium price.
    If the A10 sells for the same price as the S3 now, ie 400 Euro, I don't think that someone will have a problem with the A10.

But if it sells for around 700 Euro, then it is unjustified compared to the competition, that is the point.
    BlackBerry wants to sell a premium phone and they need the hardware to justify that.

We have seen it with the prices of the Z10 and the Q10 already. The Aristo/Astro/A10 will not be incredibly cheaper, if anything it will even be more expensive.

Why is it so hard to understand, that BlackBerry does not exist in a vacuum? They are not alone out there, and selling one and a half year old Hardware in a premium phone, when you try to make one of the biggest comeback stories of the century, may be good for the margins, but does not help in swaying the public opinion.

Launching without a 1080p screen or the best 720p screen that tops higher res ones in other key areas, is a PR suicide.
    It gives ammunition to declare the phone DOA.

Posted via CB10
    Who freaking cares about how premium the phone is where there isn't any apps.
    06-15-13 11:11 AM
    The biggest complaint you hear time and again is there are no apps, not that it doesn't have 1080p. If you want apps, you need to make it easier to get developers on board. Multiple screen resolutions increase the magnitude of the work involved in getting an app out. Considering the current low volume of BB10 phones, developers will go to where the volume is or the ease of development.
    The 'no apps' complaint is the complaint from people who already have bought the phone! Beefing up the hardware specs to compete with premium offerings from Apple and Android OEMs is to get people to even buy the damn phone in the first place. Why is this so difficult to accept?

You want people to BUY the phones...even if 30% return the phone, that's still 70% more sales than zero.

Just like how nobody will buy a 'HD ready' TV in 2013 over a 'Full HD' TV for a premium price, there'll get to a time when 1080p screens and the latest processors will get to become a discriminating factor for many folks.
    06-15-13 11:17 AM
    You can't compare apple and BlackBerry. People will put the effort in for apple as it has rewards.
    Those same people may not be willing to put the same effort for BlackBerry's small amount of users

Posted via CB10
    Developing for BB10 offers a user base that pays more $ per app, than on the other platforms.

As a dev, you gain a first to market advantage and do not have to compete against millions of other small fish.
    BB10 app development offers the possibility to become a big fish, in a small sea, just because the sheer number of devs is far smaller.
    BB10 users will buy lots of mediocre apps, because the pent up demand is incredibly high.
    Every new BB10 device (for now), means a bigger userbase and more potential revenue for devs.

All of these factors mean that putting real effort behind an app, pays off if the dev has a good product.

Saying that one more screen resolution making it 3 standard resolutions, with the Z10's being the odd one out, will break BlackBerry's app development, sounds rather unbelievable, if one isn't just lazy or unable to do it.

@Bluenoser:
    Btw, what are the apps you have coded? I would love to use one.
    Thanks for the links. Did you take the time to read them? They talk about workarounds, drawbacks, problems and issues. It is not ideal and the more the resolutions, the bigger the problems.
    Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 11:18 AM
    I may add that devs for Apple also have to support multiple resolutions, and screensizes. Going from the iPhone 1 to the iPad 4 and the mini.

Why hasn't development halted for this platform as well, if having more than 2 resolutions kills the whole dev scene on BB10, like Bluenoser said before?

What I also do find fascinating, is that Bluenoser is on every thread, concerning screen resolutions and tells people that 1080p would kill BlackBerry.
    What is his agenda?

Posted via CB10
    You don't get it. If you were a developer you would. I can spend X amount of time developing for a platform that has multiple screen resolutions and have a market of 100's of millions, or I can spend X amount of time developing for a platform that has multiple screen resolutions and have a market of a 5-10 million. What would you do?

What is the biggest complaint about the BB10 platform? Is it 1080p or the lack of apps?

P.S. If you think it is so easy to develop for multiple screen resolutions for BB10 or even other platforms, why don't you start developing apps? I doubt you would even try.

My agenda would be to make more apps available for the platform. Making it harder for developers with limited playback won't do it. Who freaking cares if the phone is 1080p if the main complaint is there are no apps and the ones that are there are not quality. Is your agenda to limit apps?
    06-15-13 11:20 AM
    The 'no apps' complaint is the complaint from people who already have bought the phone!
    Really? So you haven't seen one posting on here about sales people telling people that there are no apps? You haven't seen one reviewer say that the ecosystem for the BB10 is weak. This is all PR that is killing sales.
    06-15-13 11:22 AM
    The NUMBER ONE complaint about BB10 phones is there are no apps. That is the first thing you hear from sales people and reviewers and even from a lot of people on this forum. With low volumes of phones with small rewards for developers, making it more difficult will not en-amour developers to the platform. Get the apps first and then work on other things that have little benefit.
    So what you're saying is that BlackBerry should not have made the Q10? Afterall, the 720 * 720 screen must have been a pain for devs to adapt their apps to, right?

BlackBerry dealt with the Square Q10 screen issue by releasing tools and engaging developers in time. Why should it now be an insurmountable issue when moving to a standard resolution like 1080p?

at the end of the day, i'm pretty sure it'll be easier for devs to move apps from the Z10's resolution to 1080p than to force fit those apps into the Q10/Q5 non standard resolution and worry about how to make use of the screen real estate. I'm sure Gameloft will find it easier and less worrisome to code Nova 4 for a 1080p phone than to worry about UI and layout on the Q10 screen.
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    06-15-13 11:22 AM
    Beefing up the hardware specs to compete with premium offerings from Apple and Android OEMs is to get people to even buy the damn phone in the first place. Why is this so difficult to accept?
    What is the highest resolution Apple phone?
    06-15-13 11:23 AM
    It is hard to explain to you since you are not a developer an have no clue as to what needs to be done to develop. What mostly happens is the OS like Android scales the app. This makes the app images and icons blurry. If you don't have images/icons in the app, then your app scales to the different screen resolutions. I can write simple apps on Blackberry that adjust to the screen resolutions. But there you will get complaints that the apps are not good quality. How do you get good quality, you allow for images/icons and custom elements to make it great looking. The moment you do that, then you need to do much more work.

SO. Android apps scale and get blurry and WP does the same. I can do the same will BBRY apps, but you would be the first to complain that they aren't good quality.
    I am not sure what you are talking about. I have mentioned this before, but you changed the subject to how difficult it is to develop again.

All the apps I use on my Android devices and used on my WP8 phones look and feel the same on all resolutions. No blurring or noticeable changes in the app.
    06-15-13 11:24 AM
    What is the highest resolution Apple phone?
    2560�1600 pixels for Android.

Edit: I see you changed your comment from Android to iOS once you realized this
    06-15-13 11:26 AM
    So what you're saying is that BlackBerry should not have made the Q10? Afterall, the 720 * 720 screen must have been a pain for devs to adapt their apps to, right?

BlackBerry dealt with the Square Q10 screen issue by releasing tools and engaging developers in time. Why should it now be an insurmountable issue when moving to a standard resolution like 1080p?

at the end of the day, i'm pretty sure it'll be easier for devs to move apps from the Z10's resolution to 1080p than to force fit those apps into the Q10/Q5 non standard resolution and worry about how to make use of the screen real estate. I'm sure Gameloft will find it easier and less worrisome to code Nova 4 for a 1080p phone than to worry about UI and layout on the Q10 screen.
    Are you a developer? Have you tried to create an app for the Q10 and Z10? What do they have in common? 720

It is easier to develop for those two resolutions as they both have a width of 720. And that is why you see a lot of BB10 apps not allow for landscape mode as once you change the width of an app to 1280, then all your formatting goes out the window. And I am sure that I could find you complaining about BB10 apps not being able to landscape. Now you know why. But a 720 wide Q10 apps and a 720 wide Z10 app in portrait more is easy to develop for. BB warned developers that 720 will be the common and to pad the 768 Z10 apps with 24 pixels on each side with black/white space to make it 720.
    06-15-13 11:28 AM

Edit: I see you changed your comment from Android to iOS once you realized this
    You were the one to say that BB10 must keep up with Apple. So what is the highest Apple phone resolution? What is the highest WP resolution? Afraid to answer?
    06-15-13 11:29 AM
    Are you a developer? Have you tried to create an app for the Q10 and Z10? What do they have in common? 720

It is easier to develop for those two resolutions as they both have a width of 720. And that is why you see a lot of BB10 apps not allow for landscape mode as once you change the width of an app to 1280, then all your formatting goes out the window. And I am sure that I could find you complaining about BB10 apps not being able to landscape. Now you know why. But a 720 wide Q10 apps and a 720 wide Z10 app in portrait more is easy to develop for. BB warned developers that 720 will be the common and to pad the 768 Z10 apps with 24 pixels on each side with black/white space to make it 720.
    That's the whole point:
    Android or WP don't do this. So, again, is it a problem with BB10?
    06-15-13 11:30 AM
    You were the one to say that BB10 must keep up with Apple. So what is the highest Apple phone resolution? What is the highest WP resolution? Afraid to answer?

Afraid to answer why?

Btw, you are confusing me with someone else. I never said BB10 had to keep up with Apple.
    06-15-13 11:31 AM
    That's the whole point:
    Android or WP don't do this. So, again, is it a problem with BB10?
    I am tired of repeating that they do this by scaling and distorting the icons and images in the process. I think you are the one who posted the links. Did you not even read them where they discuss the problems and drawbacks in the development process. Geesh!
    06-15-13 11:33 AM
    I am tired of repeating that they do this by scaling and distorting the icons and images in the process. I think you are the one who posted the links. Did you not even read them where they discuss the problems and drawbacks in the development process. Geesh!
    I am also tired of telling you that I don't notice any blurring in apps.
    06-15-13 11:34 AM

No problems with landscape mode and formatting either.
    06-15-13 11:37 AM
    You don't get it. If you were a developer you would. I can spend X amount of time developing for a platform that has multiple screen resolutions and have a market of 100's of millions, or I can spend X amount of time developing for a platform that has multiple screen resolutions and have a market of a 5-10 million. What would you do?

What is the biggest complaint about the BB10 platform? Is it 1080p or the lack of apps?

P.S. If you think it is so easy to develop for multiple screen resolutions for BB10 or even other platforms, why don't you start developing apps? I doubt you would even try.

My agenda would be to make more apps available for the platform. Making it harder for developers with limited playback won't do it. Who freaking cares if the phone is 1080p if the main complaint is there are no apps and the ones that are there are not quality. Is your agenda to limit apps?
    The biggest problem with BB10 is that it needs to overturn the public opinion.

Specs that are at least on par with the competition and apps are both part of that, as Texazzpete illustrated again, just 4 posts into the past.

And I already told you that I worked together with devs on projects, mostly for Android.

Your problem is, that, you take yourself for far too important apparently.
    Awesome, you can code apps and I repeat again that I would like to use on of your apps, to know if you are all talk or if you can be taken seriously.

But apart from coding, you seem to lack a lot of knowledge, when we begin to talk about a business and how to manage it.

Who buys a 720p TV today? Or a notebook with 1GB of RAM? Or with a single core processor? Or..... Or..... Or.... The list will continue endlessly.

A 720p display in a 5 inch phone is also not a future proven setup, as most high end phones sold, will have a 1080p display by the end of the year.

All of this, is part of a package one buys, when he buys into a new phone.
    The clerc at the store maybe doesn't know the exact screen res you get when you buy a Samsung Galaxy S4, but he knows about the package you will get.
    What one can get with the Aristo will be a worse ecosystem and a worse Hardware compared to the competition.

The apps being a hindrance is already a big enough hurdle of entry.
    BlackBerry shouldn't provide the hardware being another reason not to buy a handset.
    Especially when it will be premium priced.

Why this concept is too hard to understand, for such a prodigy of a dev, is something that is too hard to understand for myself.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 11:40 AM
    All you posters who want multiple screen resolutions for a low volume market should take up programming for BB10 is you think it is so easy. What I see are comments from people who have zero experience with app development. I won't try and explain it anymore as the only way that you could change your positions and understand is if you downloaded the tools and emulators and stated developing. And I know that none of you will as you don't want to understand from a development viewpoint.

So when 1080p A10 comes out and the apps still aren't there, I hope that I won't see any of you complaining about it.

I'm done wasting my time trying to give a developers point of view. Most people want 1080p and no apps. Great!
    06-15-13 11:41 AM
    A human being with 20/20 vision can't resolve anything over 229ppi. Anything more is wasted, unless you use hdmi out on a big screen.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly, my gf is an optometrist and is constantly blown away by people's comments about resolution. I would love to see the average user stand beside 2 phones that are identical other than resolution and point out which one is better.

But then, these are probably also the people buying droids for the great (and mostly useless) specs

Posted via my Zed (not Zee) 10
    06-15-13 11:42 AM
    All you posters who want multiple screen resolutions for a low volume market should take up programming for BB10 is you think it is so easy. What I see are comments from people who have zero experience with app development. I won't try and explain it anymore as the only way that you could change your positions and understand is if you downloaded the tools and emulators and stated developing. And I know that none of you will as you don't want to understand from a development viewpoint.

So when 1080p A10 comes out and the apps still aren't there, I hope that I won't see any of you complaining about it.

I'm done wasting my time trying to give a developers point of view. Most people want 1080p and no apps. Great!
    What I see from your responses is
    Either
    - BB10 doesn't offer as much flexibility as Android or WP
    or
    - You are a lazy developer who is trying to avoid extra work even if that extra work comes from a new BB10 device that will sport specs on par with the competition
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    06-15-13 11:44 AM
    Exactly, my gf is an optometrist and is constantly blown away by people's comments about resolution. I would love to see the average user stand beside 2 phones that are identical other than resolution and point out which one is better.

But then, these are probably also the people buying droids for the great (and mostly useless) specs

Posted via my Zed (not Zee) 10
    I would love to see the average user stand in front of 2 HDTVs that are identical other than resolution and point out which one is better.
    06-15-13 11:46 AM
    I am also tired of telling you that I don't notice any blurring in apps.
    That'd be because the developers put extra work to get your apps to look right.

Dealing with multiple resolutions is orders of magnitudes harder than dealing with only one. It's not just about "I want this button to be at the middle". No, sometimes it's about "I want this button to be precisely 68 pixels from the right", and when the resolution increases, the button will still be 68 pixels from the left, and it may not look great in that position.

You'll also have to use brand new images for higher resolutions so they don't look blurry, and then take into account their size relative to the screen real estate. Higher resolution doesn't necessarily mean more screen real estate, and if you have multiple screen resolutions with differing aspect ratios, you'll essentially have to maintain entirely different separate apps regarding the UI.

Have you ever wondered what that "HD" label in Angry Birds for? It's not just a commercial propaganda, they actually use higher resolution assets on that (compared to older versions). How high "HD" is, I can't say for certain.

They put those extra work because that's pretty much the only way. Now, devs have to deal with both iOS and Android resolution fragmentation, will they have enough time to deal with more resolutions on BlackBerry devices?

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    06-15-13 11:47 AM
523 ... 678910 ...