if any phone is knocked for its specs it should be the iphone 5 dual core 1.2 gig (correct me if I'm wrong) and 1 gig of ram.
    Ram shouldn't even be included in the discussion. BlackBerry 10 devices have 2gb of ram simply because they absolutely have to have at least that much to function properly. BlackBerry had no choice but to include 2gb of ram. It was the lazy solution to the problem. Instead of making the OS less of a ram hog, they slap 2gb of ram into all of the phones. Including their low end phone. It isn't really something to brag about.

Now you can brag when you have a optimized OS like Jelly Bean, iOS or Windows Phone 8 and 2gb of ram. Then you'd have a bonus. I've used vanilla Jelly Bean with only 1gb of ram and it works. Using Jelly Bean with 2gb of ram, like on my Nexus 4, works even better. See, that is a bonus. Vanilla Jelly Bean don't need 2gb of ram to work, but having the extra ram is nice.

With BB10, it is 2gb of ram just to have a functioning device and the first 1gb of ram is used as soon as the hub finishes loading. So if anything, the iPhone 5 is offering the same as what BlackBerry 10 devices offer. As much ram as is needed and nothing more.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    06-14-13 10:26 AM
    Ram shouldn't even be included in the discussion. BlackBerry 10 devices have 2gb of ram simply because they absolutely have to have at least that much to function properly. BlackBerry had no choice but to include 2gb of ram. It was the lazy solution to the problem. Instead of making the OS less of a ram hog, they slap 2gb of ram into all of the phones. Including their low end phone. It isn't really something to brag about.

Now you can brag when you have a optimized OS like Jelly Bean, iOS or Windows Phone 8 and 2gb of ram. Then you'd have a bonus. I've used vanilla Jelly Bean with only 1gb of ram and it works. Using Jelly Bean with 2gb of ram, like on my Nexus 4, works even better. See, that is a bonus. Vanilla Jelly Bean don't need 2gb of ram to work, but having the extra ram is nice.

With BB10, it is 2gb of ram just to have a functioning device and the first 1gb of ram is used as soon as the hub finishes loading. So if anything, the iPhone 5 is offering the same as what BlackBerry 10 devices offer. As much ram as is needed and nothing more.

I don't believe blackberry 10 needing 2 gigs of ram was the lazy way out i think it was a nesicasry evil to bring bb10 to market sooner. it seems with bb10.1 and 10.2 the os has been made leaner and leaner. it will eventually work just fine on 1 gig of ram. bb10 is a new platform, and android and ios have had years to mature
    06-14-13 10:31 AM
    I don't believe blackberry 10 needing 2 gigs of ram was the lazy way out i think it was a nesicasry evil to bring bb10 to market sooner. it seems with bb10.1 and 10.2 the os has been made leaner and leaner. it will eventually work just fine on 1 gig of ram. bb10 is a new platform, and android and ios have had years to mature
    Didnt the DEV ALPHAs have only 1GB of RAM?
    06-14-13 11:33 AM

How do the DEV ALPHAs perform with just 1GB of RAM? So you're saying it's not as good as Jelly Bean on 1GB of RAM?
    06-14-13 11:38 AM
    How do the DEV ALPHAs perform with just 1GB of RAM? So you're saying it's not as good as Jelly Bean on 1GB of RAM?
    No where near as well as Jelly Bean with only 1gb of ram.

The Dev Alpha A and B were made with only 1gb, and used a crippled OS that didn't include the hub. Once the full OS was installed, the need for more ram is obvious. Just the OS and the hub with a few email accounts is enough to use up the 1gb of ram. Leaving no ram for apps. With no email accounts syncing in the hub, I was able to run between 2 and 4 apps without problems. Depending on the apps I was running of course.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-13 12:05 PM
    Didnt the DEV ALPHAs have only 1GB of RAM?
    they do, but that was not my argument. I simply said a slightly bloated version of bb10 was pushed to market sooner rather than oater now they are refining it and making it leaner for support of less than 2 gigs of ram.
    jay_men likes this.
    06-14-13 12:17 PM
    No where near as well as Jelly Bean with only 1gb of ram.

The Dev Alpha A and B were made with only 1gb, and used a crippled OS that didn't include the hub. Once the full OS was installed, the need for more ram is obvious. Just the OS and the hub with a few email accounts is enough to use up the 1gb of ram. Leaving no ram for apps. With no email accounts syncing in the hub, I was able to run between 2 and 4 apps without problems. Depending on the apps I was running of course.

Posted via CB10
    Okay thanks for the info. That's interesting. What was obvious on the DEV ALPHAs, were they really slow or laggy when the full OS were installed? Do you happen to know how much RAM the HUB takes up from your observations with the DEV ALPHAs? Also out of curiosity, how many apps can Jelly Bean run on 1GB vs 2GB of RAM before they start affecting performance?
    06-14-13 12:31 PM
    Are you still spreading that BS over the field? The Dev Alpha device with 1GB of RAM worked just fine before I traded it for a LE Z10. The Q10 that I have with 1GB of RAM works just fine. A proper OS with good memory management will use what is available. The Q10 with 1GB RAM can open up multiple apps and I use it for emails and development and it works as smoothly as my Z10. So please stop fertilizing the field with your assumptions. Since you don't even believe that a 1GB BB10 device exists, it just shows that you don't know as much as you think.
    06-14-13 12:42 PM
    Okay thanks for the info. That's interesting. What was obvious on the DEV ALPHAs, were they really slow or laggy when the full OS were installed? Do you happen to know how much RAM the HUB takes up from your observations with the DEV ALPHAs? Also out of curiosity, how many apps can Jelly Bean run on 1GB vs 2GB of RAM before they start affecting performance?
    You should thank him for misinfo. I had a Dev Alpha and have a Q10 with 1GB of RAM and they work just fine. They can run multiple apps and the HUB without any noticeable lag. The 1GB Q10 that I have with just the HUB running only uses 600MB or RAM with 403MB free. With browser going to crackberry, File Manager and Camera it still has 194MB or RAM. That is with NFC, Bluetooth and WiFi running too.
    Attached Thumbnails A10 to have a 720x1280 Resolution-img_00000051.jpg   A10 to have a 720x1280 Resolution-img_00000052.png  
    jay_men likes this.
    06-14-13 12:51 PM
    Are you still spreading that BS over the field? The Dev Alpha device with 1GB of RAM worked just fine before I traded it for a LE Z10. The Q10 that I have with 1GB of RAM works just fine. A proper OS with good memory management will use what is available. The Q10 with 1GB RAM can open up multiple apps and I use it for emails and development and it works as smoothly as my Z10. So please stop fertilizing the field with your assumptions. Since you don't even believe that a 1GB BB10 device exists, it just shows that you don't know as much as you think.
    Haha are you still telling people that you have these phones that cannot be photographed?

Don't put words in my mouth! I never once said a 1GB Q10 didn't exist. Not once. So please stop saying I did. I said that I don't believe you have one. You for some reason don't understand that.

Do you remember what happened when you questioned if I had used a Dev Alpha? Oh yeah I sent pictures to prove it. I actually have experience with the devices I talk about. My prior experiences tells me that BB10 requires more than 1GB of ram to function properly. The founder of this website feels the same way. Obviously BlackBerry feels the same way as well. Or do you actually think they gave the Q5 2GB of ram just for the fun of it?

I get it. You are delusional and will never understand this point, but BlackBerry 10 in its current form requires more than 1GB of ram to function properly. Re read that over and over and over. Function properly involves having several email accounts syncing and running up to 8 apps at once. You simply cannot do that with a Dev Alpha A or B. I know, I've tried.

Since you probably need more help to understand all of this, I'll include a picture.

A10 to have a 720x1280 Resolution-img_00000001.png

Hey look at that! More than 1Gb of ram is currently being used on my Q10. With only one app opened. What in the world. I guess BlackBerry 10 does need more than 1Gb of ram to function properly. Lol

Posted via CB10
    06-14-13 12:59 PM
    You should thank him for misinfo. I had a Dev Alpha and have a Q10 with 1GB of RAM and they work just fine. They can run multiple apps and the HUB without any noticeable lag. The 1GB Q10 that I have with just the HUB running only uses 600MB or RAM with 403MB free. With browser going to crackberry, File Manager and Camera it still has 194MB or RAM. That is with NFC, Bluetooth and WiFi running too.
    Are you Mike or Jim? Serious question, it would be kind of funny if you were one of them. The old RIM CEOs thought BlackBerry 10 worked just fine with 1gb of ram also. They were about to release the Colt to the public and probably would have if TH didn't take over when he did.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-13 01:11 PM
    Haha are you still telling people that you have these phones that cannot be photographed?

Don't put words in my mouth! I never once said a 1GB Q10 didn't exist. Not once. So please stop saying I did. I said that I don't believe you have one. You for some reason don't understand that.

Do you remember what happened when you questioned if I had used a Dev Alpha? Oh yeah I sent pictures to prove it. I actually have experience with the devices I talk about. My prior experiences tells me that BB10 requires more than 1GB of ram to function properly. The founder of this website feels the same way. Obviously BlackBerry feels the same way as well. Or do you actually think they gave the Q5 2GB of ram just for the fun of it?

I get it. You are delusional and will never understand this point, but BlackBerry 10 in its current form requires more than 1GB of ram to function properly. Re read that over and over and over. Function properly involves having several email accounts syncing and running up to 8 apps at once. You simply cannot do that with a Dev Alpha A or B. I know, I've tried.

Since you probably need more help to understand all of this, I'll include a picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000001.png 
Views:	353 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	172110

Hey look at that! More than 1Gb of ram is currently being used on my Q10. With only one app opened. What in the world. I guess BlackBerry 10 does need more than 1Gb of ram to function properly. Lol

Posted via CB10
    You have no clue about memory management. If memory is available, why not use it? You wanted me to post pictures as you said it couldn't run without 1GB of RAM. It does. I have experiences with them also. Since you don't have a Q10 with 1GB or RAM which is running 10.1.0.273, then you do not have the experience that I do. SO until you try it, you are talking about something you don't know.
    06-14-13 01:14 PM
    Are you Mike or Jim? Serious question, it would be kind of funny if you were one of them. The old RIM CEOs thought BlackBerry 10 worked just fine with 1gb of ram also. They were about to release the Colt to the public and probably would have if TH didn't take over when he did.

Posted via CB10
    Look, I am sorry that you don't have the experience with the BB10 devices that I do. If you did, you would see that you are wrong, but I don't think you have the ability to admit that you are wrong.
    06-14-13 01:15 PM
    You have no clue about memory management. If memory is available, why not use it? You wanted me to post pictures as you said it couldn't run without 1GB of RAM. It does. I have experiences with them also. Since you don't have a Q10 with 1GB or RAM which is running 10.1.0.273, then you do not have the experience that I do. SO until you try it, you are talking about something you don't know.
    You are still putting words in my mouth.

I never said it won't run. I said it won't function properly. Why can't you understand that? To FUNCTION PROPERLY, BlackBerry 10 REQUIRES more than 1GB of Ram.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-13 01:18 PM
    My prior experiences tells me that BB10 requires more than 1GB of ram to function properly.
    See. Here is your problem. You currently don't have the latest optimized version of BB10 running on a 1GB BB10 device. So your information is old and invalid. BB has done a great job in optimizing and working on the OS to make it more efficient. UNTIL you have a 1GB BB device with the lastest OS, you don't know what you are talking about.
    06-14-13 01:19 PM
    Look, I am sorry that you don't have the experience with the BB10 devices that I do. If you did, you would see that you are wrong, but I don't think you have the ability to admit that you are wrong.
    Ok, if I am wrong and you are right, answer one question.

Why does BlackBerry put 2GB of ram in every BlackBerry 10 phone the sell?

BlackBerry 10 doesn't have leading edge specs in any category except ram. Why is that?

The A10 won't even have a 1080p screen, yet the Q5 has 2GB of ram for some reason. Doesn't make much sense.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-13 01:21 PM
    You are still putting words in my mouth.

I never said it won't run. I said it won't function properly. Why can't you understand that? To FUNCTION PROPERLY, BlackBerry 10 REQUIRES more than 1GB of Ram.

Posted via CB10
    You are still posting with old information. If function properly means able to have the hub processing emails, browsing the web, connecting to Bluetooth devices, connected to WiFi, doing file management and using the camera without lag, then you don't need 1GB of RAM. I am doing it.
    06-14-13 01:21 PM
    You are still posting with old information. If function properly means able to have the hub processing emails, browsing the web, connecting to Bluetooth devices, connected to WiFi, doing file management and using the camera without lag, then you don't need 1GB of RAM. I am doing it.
    You realize how easy it is to fact that screen shot right? Do you want me to fake it on my Q10? I'll make a screen shot that shows my Q10 using up almost all of its Ram with only the settings app open. See, once minimized, the settings app active panel doesn't refresh. You could easy open settings with no apps running minimize it and freeze the setting at more ram free than should be.

Just saying. That screen shot proves nothing.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-13 01:25 PM
    Ok, if I am wrong and you are right, answer one question.

Why does BlackBerry put 2GB of ram in every BlackBerry 10 phone the sell?

BlackBerry 10 doesn't have leading edge specs in any category except ram. Why is that?

The A10 won't even have a 1080p screen, yet the Q5 has 2GB of ram for some reason. Doesn't make much sense.

Posted via CB10
    How much would it cost to go from 1GB of RAM to 2GB? Why not have 2GB? Having 2GB of RAM for something that is not can be upgraded and you want to have it run for two to three years is smart. Why didn't they produce a 32GB or 64GB storage BB10 device? Cause it can be upgraded. You are only making uneducated assumptions about the reasons. You think it is because BB10 cannot function with anything less than 2GB or RAM. You are wrong.
    06-14-13 01:26 PM
    You realize how easy it is to fact that screen shot right? Do you want me to fake it on my Q10? I'll make a screen shot that shows my Q10 using up almost all of its Ram with only the settings app open. See, once minimized, the settings app active panel doesn't refresh. You could easy open settings with no apps running minimize it and freeze the setting at more ram free than should be.

Just saying. That screen shot proves nothing.

Posted via CB10
    Nothing will satisfy someone when they don't want to admit they are wrong. Taken your own words, then it easy to fake a picture that you actually had a Dev Alpha device. Your picture means nothing. Feel better now?
    06-14-13 01:27 PM
    A10 to have a 720x1280 Resolution-img_00000002.png

See, now my Q10 is using over 1.2 gb of ram with no apps open at all.

Just saying, it's ridiculously easy to fake the screen shot you posted. And thank god everyone is wrong except you. BlackBerry 10 would of had such horrible reviews if they didn't up the ram. You have got to atleast admit that.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-13 01:34 PM

Name:	IMG_00000002.png 
Views:	473 
Size:	433.4 KB 
ID:	172128

Just saying, it's ridiculously easy to fake the screen shot you posted. And thank god everyone is wrong except you. BlackBerry 10 would of had such horrible reviews if they didn't up the ram. You have got to atleast admit that.

Posted via CB10
    For the cost, it was smart to put in 2GB or RAM. No sweat off my back. But that doesn't mean that a 1GB BB10 device couldn't function properly as is your assumption. Since you have have one running the latest version of BB10, then you still don't know what you are talking about. If it makes you sleep at night believing that the screenshot is faked, then go ahead. I will sleep just find knowing that it isn't fake and I am not lying.
    06-14-13 01:39 PM
    That was weird, lol I went from the Q10 to the DAC and the CB10 app posted a old reply that never finished sending.

I'm guessing the CB10 app doesn't run while the device's display is off.
    06-14-13 01:51 PM

Name:	IMG_00000002.png 
Views:	473 
Size:	433.4 KB 
ID:	172128

Posted via CB10
    Then don't ask him for a screen shot next time. I think it's pretty clear he knows more about this than you do. You might want to move on from this one.

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    06-14-13 02:10 PM
    Then don't ask him for a screen shot next time.

Posted via CB10
    When did I ask him for a screen shot? Are you talking about weeks, ago when he was accusing everyone in under the sun of never having used a Dev Alpha without offering any proof that he himself had?

Like I said, thank god everyone at BlackBerry was wrong. They are ignorantly eating into their own margins by wastefully equipping every single commercial BlackBerry 10 device with more ram than needed, but I'm happy they are doing it.
    06-14-13 02:18 PM
523 ... 34567 ...