I thought the Z was going to be the odd man out and the next was going to have a different resolution and that was going to be the standard?
    Yeah, the next is a 720p screen.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    06-13-13 08:13 AM
    I thought the Z was going to be the odd man out and the next was going to have a different resolution and that was going to be the standard?
    It is. BB tells developers to make 24 pixel pads on each side of the 768 dimension if they don't want to develop for multiple resolutions.
    06-13-13 08:20 AM
    It is still idiotic to release a phone at the end of 2013 with Specs from phones of mid 2012, no matter to what guidelines they commited.

Add to that the fact of 1080p displays to become mainstream in phones next year, and BlackBerry has no choice to enter a certain segment of the spec race.
    This segment is called feature parity.

I totally understand why you come to the conclusion that the Aristo will use a 720p display.
    As I do with everyone else, when they mention BlackBerry's guidelines.
    I agree with everyone of them.

This does not change the fact, that it is idiotic and that the support for 1080p will start anyway with next year.
    I would have bought the A10 and wanted to give a family member my Z10.

With BlackBerry's approach to specs and pricing, since BlackBerry has the intent to sell premium phones, they have to give me something premium for my money.
    This is the case with the Z10, but under the current circumstances will not be the case with the A10.
    Therefore I won't buy it (if there won't come an incredible USP).

BlackBerry will not only lose 1 sale because of their approach there, but a far higher number of sales.
    The sad thing is, that this is very predictable and in a moment in time, where BlackBerry needs every single sale they can get with BB10.

But yes, you are right, they commited to a "very intelligent" guideline.

Posted via CB10
    IF BB has too many screen resolutions, they will lose developers like myself. I don't have time to chase multiple screen resolutions. It is pretty clear that you have no clue about software development. And what is the biggest complaint from consumers about BB10, no apps. I rather have more apps than less apps and higher resolution that really doesn't make that much difference in visuals anyway.
    06-13-13 08:23 AM
    IF BB has too many screen resolutions, they will lose developers like myself. I don't have time to chase multiple screen resolutions. It is pretty clear that you have no clue about software development. And what is the biggest complaint from consumers about BB10, no apps. I rather have more apps than less apps and higher resolution that really doesn't make that much difference in visuals anyway.
    I never talked about software development though...

I only talked about the strategic position BlackBerry is putting themselves in, through offering a phone with 1 1/2 year old Hardware.

If the display is not the best 720p display in the world, BlackBerry could as well not launch this phone.

Your problem is that you apparently have no clue about the strategic position BlackBerry is in.
    As a hint:
    they still need to prove themselves.

That isn't achieved through offering subpar hardware.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWOT_analysis
    This is a very easy way to understand the strategic position BlackBerry is in.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 08:47 AM
    I agree. Most people I know don't care about the resolution. At a certain level it doesn't really matter anymore. They do care about apps though.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 08:58 AM
    To go with a larger screen and a quad core then cheap out on the display would doom this offering right out of the gate.

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    06-13-13 09:10 AM
    I agree. Most people I know don't care about the resolution. At a certain level it doesn't really matter anymore. They do care about apps though.

Posted via CB10
    As a dev, if BlackBerry survives long enough, you'll have to support 1080p anyway, as it becomes an industry standard.

The reasoning behind BlackBerry's choice to stick with 720p was a strategic one to please the devs, and to enlarge the profit margin.

I seriously hope the device will sell, but the realistic way to look at it, is that BlackBerry launches a flagship with 1 1/2 year old Hardware.

When Joe Doe goes to the mall and wants to buy a new phone, and he asks the clerc what "is the best phone ?", I can promise you, that the guy won't show you the Aristo first, but the offerings with the Octacore big.LITTLE processor and a 1080p display.

This is not the strategic position you want to be in, if you try to make one of the biggest Comeback stories of this pretty young century.

To go with a larger screen and a quad core then cheap out on the display would doom this offering right out of the gate.

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    That is why I said they could as well not launch the Aristo at all and save the money for a real high end phone.

Or they go with the best 720p display in the world, that outdoes a 1080p one.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 09:16 AM
    With all this talk of the need of having 720p vs 1080p on a PHONE, I can't wait until the time when the general discussion becomes about 1080p vs 4K!! I believe a lot of posters are still stuck with thinking bigger is better subconsciously but ultimately, as some posters have already suggested, the discussion should include screen quality / GPU / brightness / etc... in relation to the scientific backing of what the normal human eyes can perceive. As everyone has their own preferences with things such as viewing distances and screen brightness, maybe these manufactures can concentrate even more in making these screens even smarter to meet a user's needs visually.

A question to the developers in regards to BlackBerry's commitment to the 720x1280 screen resolution for fulltouch smartphones, what are the negative aspects that can occur on your apps if BlackBerry scales them up for larger screens capable of higher resolutions such as the rumored 1080x1920 which is exactly 1.5 times the original screen resolution? Would it be possible for the app to still look nice and not pixelated using any of the other possible screen technologies out there? I am curious to know from a regular user's perspective with limited understanding of screen tech and how it affects development.
    06-13-13 09:48 AM
    Just a little off topic question:

Who came up with the idea to name the double of 1080p, 4K?

I tried to get behind this naming scheme but no matter what math I do, I do not get 4K.

1080*2= 2160
    1920*2= 3840
    1920*1080= 2073600
    3840*2160= 8294400

Why 4k????????

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 10:27 AM
    As a dev, if BlackBerry survives long enough, you'll have to support 1080p anyway, as it becomes an industry standard.

The reasoning behind BlackBerry's choice to stick with 720p was a strategic one to please the devs, and to enlarge the profit margin.

I seriously hope the device will sell, but the realistic way to look at it, is that BlackBerry launches a flagship with 1 1/2 year old Hardware.

When Joe Doe goes to the mall and wants to buy a new phone, and he asks the clerc what "is the best phone ?", I can promise you, that the guy won't show you the Aristo first, but the offerings with the Octacore big.LITTLE processor and a 1080p display.

This is not the strategic position you want to be in, if you try to make one of the biggest Comeback stories of this pretty young century.

That is why I said they could as well not launch the Aristo at all and save the money for a real high end phone.

Or they go with the best 720p display in the world, that outdoes a 1080p one.

Posted via CB10
    You may be right but I will reiterate that I have never known anyone to buy a phone based on resolution. I think back when the iphone 4 launched, people were still pretty susceptible to that thinking. I think with good reason though. Back then you had phones with significantly worse resolutions. Today, the majority of higher end phones, BB included, have very nice resolutions. Some are better than others but the difference is really difficult to discern. Nobody I know even knows what their resolution is.

I think BB will be successful based on the different OS and equal footing on the big name apps more than based on having every spec equal to or greater than the Android phones on the market. Windows and Apple are similar in their approach. I do agree that ideally it would have every bell and whistle possible, but in the end if I had to choose I would go for the apps first. So essentially, I think they made the correct decision strategically speaking. I guess time will tell.
    06-13-13 10:48 AM
    So, it's not the issue of app development, but rather the ability of BB10 to scale to different resolutions?
    Can BBRY provide the necessary APIs to enable developers to take advantage of the scaling as is the case with Android and WP?
    06-13-13 11:12 AM
    I never talked about software development though...

I only talked about the strategic position BlackBerry is putting themselves in, through offering a phone with 1 1/2 year old Hardware.

If the display is not the best 720p display in the world, BlackBerry could as well not launch this phone.

Your problem is that you apparently have no clue about the strategic position BlackBerry is in.
    As a hint:
    they still need to prove themselves.

That isn't achieved through offering subpar hardware.

Posted via CB10
    Having a screen resolution that is overkill isn't sub par hardware. Almost everyone I have shown a 720p movie on my Z10 comment on how clear and nice it looks. Most people don't care about having screen resolutions that you can't see the difference.
    06-13-13 11:19 AM
    So, it's not the issue of app development, but rather the ability of BB10 to scale to different resolutions?
    Can BBRY provide the necessary APIs to enable developers to take advantage of the scaling as is the case with Android and WP?
    It is an issue of app development. To get things where you want them, you set the size and location of the elements. You also create elements of a certain size. Scaling distorts controls and will make things blurry.
    06-13-13 11:22 AM
    It is an issue of app development. To get things where you want them, you set the size and location of the elements. You also create elements of a certain size. Scaling distorts controls and will make things blurry.
    All apps on my Android phone work equally well with 1080p and 800x480 screens. I can say the same about the apps that I ran on Lumia 810 and Lumia 920.
    06-13-13 11:27 AM
    All apps on my Android phone work equally well with 1080p and 800x480 screens. I can say the same about the apps that I ran on Lumia 810 and Lumia 920.
    Have you seen the code for the apps? You can add a lot of code to modify the screens/elements of the apps depending on the screen resolution. You can also add images for the different screen sizes. It just means more development to handle all the differences. It is pretty easy to see that you are not a software developer.
    06-13-13 12:08 PM
    Have you seen the code for the apps? You can add a lot of code to modify the screens/elements of the apps depending on the screen resolution. You can also add images for the different screen sizes. It just means more development to handle all the differences. It is pretty easy to see that you are not a software developer.
    I am not. But it's not like there is lack of development for Android, is it?

I can also see that Google and MS provided the necessary APIs and other tools to facilitate the scaling; and BBRY and Apple, on the other hand, have become hostages of the preset resolutions.
    06-13-13 12:29 PM
    LOL @ people claiming colour space is a product of PPI!
    bekkay likes this.
    06-13-13 04:10 PM
    You must be a Windows Phone developer. Because if you develop for iOS you must support 6 resolutions. If you are an Android Dev you must support 20+ resolutions.

Funny, Apple just boasted over 900 000 apps in their store a few days ago. Android has about the same.

Plus, as some one mentioned above, 1080P is quickly becoming a standard resolution for portable devices 4.5"+ so you will have to support it eventually anyway no matter what platform you develop for.

So this argument about pleasing developers is not really valid at least not for longer then about 6 months.

Plus, it's kind of a chicken and egg problem isn't it? If BlackBerry completely loses the 5" touchscreen segment (you know the hottest market segment at the moment), will anyone really want to develop for a platform that is struggling in market? If BlackBerry can't sell it's hardware outside of declining niche segments of the market it really doesn't matter if BlackBerry sends high end hookers to service developers they won't bring apps to the platform.

BlackBerry really needs to SELL phones right now because the more market share they take the more developers will come to the platform. The apps they need right now, aren't your little upstart one man team apps. The apps they need are the big name established apps and they have the resources to support a couple extra resolutions.
    06-13-13 07:32 PM
    I have the solutions !!

1) Use of black bars.
    Just like when the iPhone came out, apps weren't full screen but still plenty useful.

2) Open application in 720 X 1268 windows and have your default wallpaper as background instead of black bars. This gives the the user the impression of a computing os.
    Something like that

A10 to have a 720x1280 Resolution-img_00000455.png

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 10:24 PM
    Something I'd like to clarify is that while, for my purposes, the difference between a 720p and 1080p screen resolution device is moot. I really don't care. However, I'm sick and tired of BlackBerry basically inviting the media and reviewers to bash the device even before it's powered on. This is due to hardware specs. When the Z10 launched, there were so many comments about how it was early-2012 hardware launching in early-2013. In my opinion, BlackBerry should try to leave as little room possible for criticism of things that can be prevented. This is one of them. As such, it's difficult for me to justify a 720p screen resolution when the industry is quickly moving towards something greater. At some point soon, 1080p will be the standard and devs for all platforms will have to adjust at some point. Sooner rather than later makes sense, to me anyway.

Honestly, with BlackBerry 10 and the Z10, Q10, and Q5, BlackBerry's been playing really quite safe on both the hardware and software sides. I want to see them take risks (like the HTC One's 4 ultra-pixel camera) For once, I'd like to see BlackBerry on the cutting edge of both hardware and software. I want to see them push the hardware envelope as well and try something different and unique. They have the software part down, I think. It's the hardware that needs that little extra bit to truly complement the OS.
    SuperionMaximus likes this.
    06-13-13 10:35 PM
    Something I'd like to clarify is that while, for my purposes, the difference between a 720p and 1080p screen resolution device is moot. I really don't care. However, I'm sick and tired of BlackBerry basically inviting the media and reviewers to bash the device even before it's powered on. This is due to hardware specs. When the Z10 launched, there were so many comments about how it was early-2012 hardware launching in early-2013. In my opinion, BlackBerry should try to leave as little room possible for criticism of things that can be prevented. This is one of them. As such, it's difficult for me to justify a 720p screen resolution when the industry is quickly moving towards something greater. At some point soon, 1080p will be the standard and devs for all platforms will have to adjust at some point. Sooner rather than later makes sense, to me anyway.

Honestly, with BlackBerry 10 and the Z10, Q10, and Q5, BlackBerry's been playing really quite safe on both the hardware and software sides. I want to see them take risks (like the HTC One's 4 ultra-pixel camera) For once, I'd like to see BlackBerry on the cutting edge of both hardware and software. I want to see them push the hardware envelope as well and try something different and unique. They have the software part down, I think. It's the hardware that needs that little extra bit to truly complement the OS.
    Does your BB10 device screen look that bad that you want more screen resolution that the eye can't see? Only a small portion of people play the spec game otherwise we would all be driving cars with V-12 engines.
    06-14-13 05:17 AM
    Does your BB10 device screen look that bad that you want more screen resolution that the eye can't see? Only a small portion of people play the spec game otherwise we would all be driving cars with V-12 engines.
    No, I think it looks phenomenal. I said in my post that I personally don't care about the difference between 720p and 1080p screens on my phone. What I care about is how how reviewers write about the new device. The Z10 was knocked a bit for its specs and I just don't want to see the same happen to this device.

Posted via CB10
    MisterMe11 likes this.
    06-14-13 07:46 AM
    No, I think it looks phenomenal. I said in my post that I personally don't care about the difference between 720p and 1080p screens on my phone. What I care about is how how reviewers write about the new device. The Z10 was knocked a bit for its specs and I just don't want to see the same happen to this device.

Posted via CB10
    if any phone is knocked for its specs it should be the iphone 5 dual core 1.2 gig (correct me if I'm wrong) and 1 gig of ram.
    06-14-13 09:28 AM
    if any phone is knocked for its specs it should be the iphone 5 dual core 1.2 gig (correct me if I'm wrong) and 1 gig of ram.
    The GPU in the iPhone 5 is incredibly good, and do you really want to compare Apple with BlackBerry?

Which one of these companies could still face extinction in the next 6 Quarters?
    Hint: It is NOT the company with 100 billion in the bank...

Posted via CB10
    06-14-13 09:56 AM
    The GPU in the iPhone 5 is incredibly good, and do you really want to compare Apple with BlackBerry?

Which one of these companies could still face extinction in the next 6 Quarters?
    Hint: It is NOT the company with 100 billion in the bank...

Posted via CB10
    defensive much ? and if you read my post a gpu is not mentioned....is it ?

I think instead of saying "incredibly good" you meant to say magical and without fault
    06-14-13 10:25 AM
523 ... 23456 ...