I'm under the impression that resolution simply governs the "is that a JAGGED PICTURE that I see????" aspect.

Retina display has so many pixels you generally don't see jaggies IF the picture inherently has the same/higher resolution as the monitor. In short, it simply allows you to see bigger picture in smaller screen. However, since the size of the screen itself doesn't change, the image will appear a bit zoomed out, so it's like zooming out in a smaller dpi screen.

The whole "oooh, pretty colors" is more governed by the screen itself, not its resolution. It is indeed true that higher resolution allows more colors to be shown (or, to be more accurate, there are more pixels that can display different colors), but it doesn't have that much effect

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    Yes, people look at higher resolution screens and see the drastic difference in brightness, etc. and attribute it to the higher resolution. In most cases higher resolution screens are just of higher quality. Brightness, contrast, etc, don't have anything to do with the resolution. All else equal..

In any case, The biggest benefit of a larger resolution screen is not only the visibility of individual pixels, but how much content fits the screen. For example, I have so much more of the the webpage's content displayed on my Full HD screen than I have on a 720p display (natively, without zooming out).
    06-12-13 07:57 AM
    I hate to break it to you but this is not proof that the A10 will have 720x1280.

All this speculation about an app from a patch that hasn't even reached beta, and a device that's still 6 months away is irrelevant.

Posted via CB10
    The proof is that BB has told developers that all future full touch will have 720x1280 resolution. Simple as that.
    06-12-13 08:03 AM
    Has to be 1080p

Posted via CB10
    06-12-13 08:57 AM
    Has to be 1080p

Posted via CB10
    It is going to be 720 x 1280.
    06-12-13 08:59 AM
    The proof is that BB has told developers that all future full touch will have 720x1280 resolution. Simple as that.
    Some sources have suggested that BlackBerry actually wants to produce a top-spec phone, including 1080p.

As long as the aspect ratio is the same, it likely wouldn't be a problem.

From the awesome virtual keyboard of my Z10
    Barracuda7772 likes this.
    06-12-13 11:20 AM
    Yes, people look at higher resolution screens and see the drastic difference in brightness, etc. and attribute it to the higher resolution. In most cases higher resolution screens are just of higher quality. Brightness, contrast, etc, don't have anything to do with the resolution. All else equal..

In any case, The biggest benefit of a larger resolution screen is not only the visibility of individual pixels, but how much content fits the screen. For example, I have so much more of the the webpage's content displayed on my Full HD screen than I have on a 720p display (natively, without zooming out).
    No matter how high the resolution, people generally don't necessarily get more information out of it if the actual physical size of the screen stays the same. Higher DPI automatically requires higher resolution UI components, otherwise things will be too small to see. This effectively counters the benefits of higher resolution. Things will look prettier, but the amount of information one gets generally stays the same. You website, for example, won't be useful when seen in legacy BlackBerrys' 3 inch display, even if the display is 1080p, because fitting all that info in 3 inch means everything gets shrunk.

What I'm saying is, more pixels is always good, but you can only go so far before your phone becomes a tablet

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    bekkay likes this.
    06-12-13 12:00 PM
    No matter how high the resolution, people generally don't necessarily get more information out of it if the actual physical size of the screen stays the same. Higher DPI automatically requires higher resolution UI components, otherwise things will be too small to see. This effectively counters the benefits of higher resolution. Things will look prettier, but the amount of information one gets generally stays the same. You website, for example, won't be useful when seen in legacy BlackBerrys' 3 inch display, even if the display is 1080p, because fitting all that info in 3 inch means everything gets shrunk.

What I'm saying is, more pixels is always good, but you can only go so far before your phone becomes a tablet

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    True. But I can definitely tell you that I am enjoying my 5" 1080p screen. I am pretty sure that at 5" there is a noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p. Maybe not so much at 3".

And how well an OS scales plays a huge role as well.
    06-12-13 12:26 PM
    It's all about screen quality - don't count the pixels.

iPad2, iPad mini have 1024x768 pixels.
    Z10 has 1280x768 pixels
    iPhone5 has 1136x640 pixels
    BlackBerry Full Touch will have 1280x720 pixels

More pixels don't make the screen that much better... Better displays make the screen look better...

Why are some Androids going Full HD? Because they have to - they have to differentiate with hardware, as they all have more or less the same software.

If you want to get the best specs for little money - go with Android.

Those who don't want to count numbers and prefer software and user experience - these guys and gals have a lot of choice.

BlackBerry knows- no specs race with Android. A race you can't win.

Posted via CB10
    j21jam6, grover5 and BBMak like this.
    06-12-13 12:35 PM
    Some sources have suggested that BlackBerry actually wants to produce a top-spec phone, including 1080p.

Those are the same sources that listed the Ram as 4GB.
    In other words, clueless fanboys.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    06-12-13 01:41 PM
    And yet every human in the world that I've tried with, could tell a difference when I show them the same image on my Nexus 4 and the Droid DNA. I showed everyone an app, asked which screen was 1080, and amazingly enough, there hasn't been a single person that answered wrong yet. Why is that?

People should stop pretending that 1080 on a phone's screen is a waste. It isn't. Whenever you say it is, you only prove that you have never experienced a 720 and 1080 phone screen side by side. Once you do, the difference is immediately noticeable.

I remember a time when morons used to say our eyes can't tell the difference between Bluray and DVD also. Yeah, no they can.
    Could it have been other factors (screen, gpu, brightness, settings, etc) that my have played into an overall better looking display? I think a side by side visual comparison of 2 totally different phones is always a gamble. Have you ever noticed at any given electronics store, that some tv displays look better than others even though the specs are virtually the same? Settings could have been the key in that example. For a 5" display, it would seem the difference would be minimal between 720 and 1080. And the only true way to see the "correct" difference is if that phone had a toggle between 720 and 1080. Then everything would be created equal.

Posted via that Z-thang
    j21jam6 likes this.
    06-12-13 02:57 PM

It will be for developers who would have to design for it. When the Dev Alpha came out at 1280 x 768, BB told use to pad on both sides 24 pixels to get it to 720 as all devices will be 720 and 1280 pixels. They document that all future full touch will be 720 x 1280. If they don't keep that size for a minimum 2 years, they will **** off developers like myself.
    06-12-13 03:22 PM
    A10 to have a 720x1280 Resolution-copyright-main-advert.jpgA10 to have a 720x1280 Resolution-packaging.jpgA10 to have a 720x1280 Resolution-ultimate-powehouse.jpg

Juuussst some images that I have created today

I'm sorry about the poor quality... I made these on PAINT.NET and Microsoft PowerPoint 2007! LOOOL
    06-12-13 06:10 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	COPYRIGHT MAIN ADVERT.jpg 
Views:	712 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	171395Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PACKAGING.jpg 
Views:	708 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	171396Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ultimate powehouse.jpg 
Views:	713 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	171397

Juuussst some images that I have created today

I'm sorry about the poor quality... I made these on PAINT.NET and Microsoft PowerPoint 2007! LOOOL
    Only problem is that it wont be full HD. Everyone has to accept that it will be 1280 x 720 screen.
    06-12-13 06:47 PM
    Only problem is that it wont be full HD. Everyone has to accept that it will be 1280 x 720 screen.
    Everyone should be ok with this ! less pixels to push means better battery life and better performance out of your processors and gpu's

I mean sure the galaxy s4 has a 1080p screen and it also has an 8 core processor and sure the screen looks great, but a 8 core phone with a great gpu should not be laggy and I seen a lot of lag the last time I played with one.

don't get me wrong android can be good and has its uses for those whom it meets their needs.
    06-12-13 07:00 PM
    Those are the same sources that listed the Ram as 4GB.
    In other words, clueless fanboys.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    I was going to argue the point, but on reviewing the news items and the original leak, you may have a point there.

The only real substance to the 1080p and 4GB claims were from a post on GadgetMasters and I have no clue how credible this report is.
    06-12-13 07:03 PM
    I was going to argue the point, but on reviewing the news items and the original leak, you may have a point there.

The only real substance to the 1080p and 4GB claims were from a post on GadgetMasters and I have no clue how credible this report is.
    The fact that BB has already given the screen as 1280 x 720, not credible at all.
    06-12-13 07:21 PM
    Everyone should be ok with this ! less pixels to push means better battery life and better performance out of your processors and gpu's

I mean sure the galaxy s4 has a 1080p screen and it also has an 8 core processor and sure the screen looks great, but a 8 core phone with a great gpu should not be laggy and I seen a lot of lag the last time I played with one.

don't get me wrong android can be good and has its uses for those whom it meets their needs.
    The only flaw in your claim is that it's the screen resolution that makes the phone laggy. No, it's not. It's the bloatware and unoptimized firmware.

HTC One has the same specs and doesn't lag (although it also has its own share of bloatware). I also suggest you play with the Samsung S4 Google Edition when it comes out and I bet you will not notice any lag whatsover. Or get a good custom ROM on the S4 and the phone will be silky smooth and fluid.

In other words, current gen SoCs. can handle 1080p screens with ease.
    06-12-13 08:28 PM
    The only flaw in your claim is that it's the screen resolution that makes the phone laggy. No, it's not. It's the bloatware and unoptimized firmware.

HTC One has the same specs and doesn't lag (although it also has its own share of bloatware). I also suggest you play with the Samsung S4 Google Edition when it comes out and I bet you will not notice any lag whatsover. Or get a good custom ROM on the S4 and the phone will be silky smooth and fluid.

In other words, current gen SoCs. can handle 1080p screens with ease.
    I merely said a 720p has to push less pixels so therefor its less work for the cpu and gpu and is easier on the battery.

I never once said it was the sole purpose of the lag.

thanks for putting words in my mouth

I also simply stated that regarardless the s4 should be the snappiest phone on the market and it is not
    06-12-13 08:38 PM
    I still can't like the amoled on the s4 I just can't, I always play around with my coworkers s4 for a few minutes but that screen looks fake as heck. Very dissapointed amoled is coming to the aristo.

Z10? Why yes it is.
    06-12-13 08:46 PM
    BlackBerry may not want to be in a specs race, but they do want to sell phones to consumers as a premium brand.

In order to do that, they need to be ON PAR with the competition. That means 1080P is a MUST as every single high end smart phone launched this year by BlackBerry's major competitors has had that resolution. To launch late Q4 with specs that don't match phones LG and Asus launched in Q4 2012 is going to say to consumers only one thing - BlackBerry is still behind the rest of the industry.

They need to prove to consumers that they get where the industry is headed. How can BlackBerry be the future of mobile computing if they are always behind the competition?

The "experience race" a and tight hardware restrictions saw Windows Phone 7 absolutely slaughtered in the market. Windows 8 is still growing at a snails pace and many attribute a lack of competitive hardware as part of the reason for slow adoption.

**** around for profit maximizing and cutting corners on mid-range products like the Q5 all you want, but on the high end device, go all out and show the world your best.
    bekkay and mithrazor like this.
    06-12-13 08:59 PM
    I merely said a 720p has to push less pixels so therefor its less work for the cpu and gpu and is easier on the battery.

I never once said it was the sole purpose of the lag.

thanks for putting words in my mouth

I also simply stated that regarardless the s4 should be the snappiest phone on the market and it is not
    Did I really put words in your mouth? After reading the following anybody should reasonably conclude that you are attributing the lag to the screen resolution. If that was not what you meant, you should really make your point clearer:

Last edited by bekkay; 06-12-13 at 09:28 PM.
    06-12-13 09:09 PM
    It will be for developers who would have to design for it. When the Dev Alpha came out at 1280 x 768, BB told use to pad on both sides 24 pixels to get it to 720 as all devices will be 720 and 1280 pixels. They document that all future full touch will be 720 x 1280. If they don't keep that size for a minimum 2 years, they will **** off developers like myself.
    This.
    BlackBerry have already said they will be utilising two resolutions for future devices.
    They have said that they will not be entering the spec wars.
    Are all your memories that bad?

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 03:34 AM
    This.
    BlackBerry have already said they will be utilising two resolutions for future devices.
    They have said that they will not be entering the spec wars.
    Are all your memories that bad?

Posted via CB10
    It is still idiotic to release a phone at the end of 2013 with Specs from phones of mid 2012, no matter to what guidelines they commited.

Add to that the fact of 1080p displays to become mainstream in phones next year, and BlackBerry has no choice to enter a certain segment of the spec race.
    This segment is called feature parity.

I totally understand why you come to the conclusion that the Aristo will use a 720p display.
    As I do with everyone else, when they mention BlackBerry's guidelines.
    I agree with everyone of them.

This does not change the fact, that it is idiotic and that the support for 1080p will start anyway with next year.
    I would have bought the A10 and wanted to give a family member my Z10.

With BlackBerry's approach to specs and pricing, since BlackBerry has the intent to sell premium phones, they have to give me something premium for my money.
    This is the case with the Z10, but under the current circumstances will not be the case with the A10.
    Therefore I won't buy it (if there won't come an incredible USP).

BlackBerry will not only lose 1 sale because of their approach there, but a far higher number of sales.
    The sad thing is, that this is very predictable and in a moment in time, where BlackBerry needs every single sale they can get with BB10.

But yes, you are right, they commited to a "very intelligent" guideline.

Posted via CB10
    mithrazor likes this.
    06-13-13 06:58 AM
    I'm not sure why people are acting surprised. Blackberry told the world ages ago that all 2013 phones will stick to the two resolutions set by the Z10 and Q10.
    I thought the Z was going to be the odd man out and the next was going to have a different resolution and that was going to be the standard?
    06-13-13 07:33 AM
    I thought the Z was going to be the odd man out and the next was going to have a different resolution and that was going to be the standard?
    It is. It's supposed to be the only device with a 768x1280 resolution.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 07:39 AM
523 12345 ...