I have an alternative theory: the theoretical "dumb screen" might be 720...

From the awesome virtual keyboard of my Z10
    06-10-13 10:18 PM
    What does brightness have to do with PPI?
    The brighter it is the more vibrant and colorful the screen is. You're telling me a screen at 50% has the same radiance and color contrast as a screen at 100%?

Z10? Why yes it is.
    jason9900 likes this.
    06-10-13 10:21 PM
    The brighter it is the more vibrant and colorful the screen is. You're telling me a screen at 50% has the same radiance and color contrast as a screen at 100%?

Z10? Why yes it is.
    No s^*&^.
    But still, what does PPI have to do with 100% brightness level?
    06-10-13 10:27 PM
    I hope the screen gets 1080p otherwise I'll be keeping my Z10 a while longer before upgrading.
    I dislike the fact that people are quick to say it's not necessary, 720 is good as it is and just right for the developers. Customers have the rights to expect anything they want out of a phone, after all they are the one paying with cash and that's how a company should progress, supply meeting demand.
    The BB10 platform is very solid, one of the reason I'm sticking with it, but for the love of God let's stop saying we don't need this nor that, because that one extra feature or spec can be the tipping point for a potential consumer.
    Bottom line: The more specs and features we have the better it is (not for you nor me but) for everyone.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 11:54 PM
    ^^^This

I think the Aristo is meant to be a statement; proof that BlackBerry is really back and ready to go head-to-head with Samsung.

I saw a report that the next Galaxy Note is being produced in limited quantities, and that they're using the cutting edge Snapdragon 800 chipset. I don't think BlackBerry has to absolutely match Sammy's ambitions ("bleeding edge" tech can sometimes get in the way of overall usability), but I do think this phone needs to be aggressive.

From the awesome virtual keyboard of my Z10
    spike12 likes this.
    06-11-13 12:19 AM
    Can you honestly tell the difference between the 720p to the 1080p in a small 5 inch screen?
    Bobcat665 and anon(4086547) like this.
    06-11-13 12:46 AM
    Can you honestly tell the difference between the 720p to the 1080p in a small 5 inch screen?
    Can you honestly tell the difference between a 720p and a 1080p HDTV from 9 feet away? Not to mention 1080p vs 4K?
    06-11-13 12:49 AM
    Can you honestly tell the difference between a 720p and a 1080p HDTV from 9 feet away? Not to mention 1080p vs 4K?
    Never owned a TV with 720p before so I wouldn't know

But...I couldn't tell a difference with a 720p video to a 1080p vid with my 16 inch laptop
    They look extremely the same thing.
    06-11-13 12:56 AM

But...I couldn't tell a difference with a 720p video to a 1080p vid with my 16 inch laptop
    Try going to a web page or opening a document (e.g. Excel) or a picture and tell me if you see any difference.

Edit: Different resolution video on the same resolution screen? Hmmm
    Last edited by bekkay; 06-11-13 at 01:08 AM.
    06-11-13 12:57 AM
    It doesn't matter what they do -- if they come out with the highest specs of any smart phone on the planet and absolutely astonishing additions and features in the OS, someone somewhere will find some reason to knock it. Guaranteed.

What people are going to have to remember is that this is going to be a high-end device -- their flagship that will be more for showing off what they can do with the platform than putting a dent in Apple's or Samsung's market share.
    Im still hoping for a high resolution screen but I'm also hoping that if these specs pan out to be true (4GB of RAM) that BB has some awesome software in store to take advantage of it. Why put such good specs in a device when they don't take advantage of any crazy software, yet still skimp on the screen resolution.

Like I said in another thread, if they stay with 720p, then I hope it's the best quality 720p screen on the market when it releases
    06-11-13 03:01 AM
    293 PPI. About 65% of what Android flagships have.
    That?s really low. So the screen will be smaller.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-13 05:42 AM
    If that's the resolution than I am going to get rid of zq
    10 even though I love bb. And support them I will leave until they get a stronger resolution and better colors or comparable to the new phones

Posted via CB10
    These types of replies are getting pretty old around here. They rank up there with the non stop Apple/Samsung comparisons. If you don't feel your BB is adequate then you should have bought something else.
    /rant
    j21jam6 likes this.
    06-11-13 05:51 AM
    A human being with 20/20 vision can't resolve anything over 229ppi. Anything more is wasted, unless you use hdmi out on a big screen.

Posted via CB10
    And yet every human in the world that I've tried with, could tell a difference when I show them the same image on my Nexus 4 and the Droid DNA. I showed everyone an app, asked which screen was 1080, and amazingly enough, there hasn't been a single person that answered wrong yet. Why is that?

People should stop pretending that 1080 on a phone's screen is a waste. It isn't. Whenever you say it is, you only prove that you have never experienced a 720 and 1080 phone screen side by side. Once you do, the difference is immediately noticeable.

I remember a time when morons used to say our eyes can't tell the difference between Bluray and DVD also. Yeah, no they can.
    Last edited by Saiga; 06-11-13 at 06:17 AM.
    Unbiased Tech likes this.
    06-11-13 06:06 AM

Well, I actually own a 720p HDTV :-). Basically though, resolution comes into play depending on the size of the screen and your distance from it. So, for example, your eyes wouldn't notice the difference from say a 42 inch TV at 9 feet if it is 720p, 1080p, or 4K. But if it were a 65 or 70 inch TV, you would probably see the dots more on a 720p TV than a 1080p.

For cellphones though, since you can bring them closer to your eyes, you will likely take advantage of the higher resolution.

Personally, I like the Z10 screen resolution but depending on the size of the screen on the A10, you will likely notice the dots more if the resolution is kept the same depending on how you use it.
    berrylah likes this.
    06-11-13 07:34 AM

Look at the comparisons of a regular notebook and the Retina Display version of MacBook Pros. Huge difference.

It's not just the clarity of the picture. It's the brightness. Whites look whiter (not yellow as they would with less PPI), blues look bluer, greens look greener, etc. More vibrant colors. Brighter.

It's a joke if you think it doesn't make a difference.
    06-11-13 08:40 PM
    I went through the clock app that was leaked for OS 10.2 and found support for an A-Series device with a resolution of 720x1280.
    I hate to break it to you but this is not proof that the A10 will have 720x1280.

All this speculation about an app from a patch that hasn't even reached beta, and a device that's still 6 months away is irrelevant.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck and spike12 like this.
    06-11-13 09:10 PM
    I hate to break it to you but this is not proof that the A10 will have 720x1280.

All this speculation about an app from a patch that hasn't even reached beta, and a device that's still 6 months away is irrelevant.

Posted via CB10
    The Q5 is in there with the same resolution that has been released (720x720). So it is possible that it isn't right, but every other device listed in that app is on par with the known specs.
    06-11-13 10:58 PM
    The Q5 is in there with the same resolution that has been released (720x720). So it is possible that it isn't right, but every other device listed in that app is on par with the known specs.
    Yep. Under 720x720/lcd/ JSON file states "R-Series" (Q5) and under 720x720/oled/ it states "N-Series" (Q10)

Posted via CB10
    antiRIM likes this.
    06-12-13 02:07 AM

Posted via CB10
    I'd say it's pretty relevant. Since the device is supposedly close to release, it is improbable that there will be any significant changes to the hardware at this point. BlackBerry senior officials have stated that there will be no FHD devices this year, and developers have been told that for the foreseeable future, BB10 devices will be either 720x720 (qwerty) or 720x1280 (full touch).

Posted via CB10
    06-12-13 02:16 AM
    Im still hoping for a high resolution screen but I'm also hoping that if these specs pan out to be true (4GB of RAM) that BB has some awesome software in store to take advantage of it. Why put such good specs in a device when they don't take advantage of any crazy software, yet still skimp on the screen resolution.
    4GB of RAM would be a stupid addition, they would simply not be using it at all and unlike flash storage, the RAM always needs to be powered in a device so 2GB of unused RAM would just be sitting there giving you worse battery life with no benefits.
    06-12-13 04:16 AM
    It's not just the clarity of the picture. It's the brightness. Whites look whiter (not yellow as they would with less PPI), blues look bluer, greens look greener, etc. More vibrant colors. Brighter.
    While you can see a difference between 720p and 1080p on a phone, it is rarely due to it seeming brighter as if anything the higher pixel density of the 1080p screen will tend to make the screen darker unless you pump up the brightness and reduce your battery life.
    06-12-13 04:19 AM
    Customers have the rights to expect anything they want out of a phone, after all they are the one paying with cash and that's how a company should progress, supply meeting demand.
    The BB10 platform is very solid, one of the reason I'm sticking with it, but for the love of God let's stop saying we don't need this nor that, because that one extra feature or spec can be the tipping point for a potential consumer.
    Bottom line: The more specs and features we have the better it is (not for you nor me but) for everyone.
    Actually, what customers have is the right to choose what stuff they buy, if a phone doesn't meet your needs then don't buy it and given that this device is going to arrive less than a year after the z10 perhaps it is simply intended to give people options on what size device they want rather than an expectation that people need to be hopping onto every new device because the market for buying outside of a contract is vastly smaller than the on-contract ones where people are typically tied up for 24 months.

As far as your bottom line, more features does tend to be better, but the more specs comes down to what matters to you from a device and simply throwing more of them at a device is not always the answer since it can have a negative impact on other areas that people might find more important e.g. battery life or perhaps I am mistaken and that was not a much bigger source of moaning on this forum than the lack of a quad-core on the z10/q10?
    06-12-13 04:27 AM
    I think the Aristo is meant to be a statement; proof that BlackBerry is really back and ready to go head-to-head with Samsung.

I saw a report that the next Galaxy Note is being produced in limited quantities, and that they're using the cutting edge Snapdragon 800 chipset. I don't think BlackBerry has to absolutely match Sammy's ambitions ("bleeding edge" tech can sometimes get in the way of overall usability), but I do think this phone needs to be aggressive.
    I think people need to get out of this idea that BB are going to be trying to make a statement with one particular device, they are trying to build up the bb10 userbase by offering a wider range of devices in more sizes and price points and not get into the spec arms race of the android market since the profit figures seem to show that the only one that wins with that is Samsung.
    06-12-13 04:34 AM
    I don't know why this was posted. We already know from BB that all future devices will be 720 x 1280.

https://developer.blackberry.com/cas...ces/index.html

https://developer.blackberry.com/dev...een_sizes.html

People complain that there are no apps. Just makes every device a different screen resolution and watch the developers ditch making apps for it. I am already trying to struggle with three. At least the 720 and 1280 is common and BB has said to pad the left and right sides of your apps on the Z10 (768) size with blank space to make it act like 720.
    06-12-13 04:44 AM
    Look at the comparisons of a regular notebook and the Retina Display version of MacBook Pros. Huge difference.

It's a joke if you think it doesn't make a difference.
    I'm under the impression that resolution simply governs the "is that a JAGGED PICTURE that I see????" aspect.

Retina display has so many pixels you generally don't see jaggies IF the picture inherently has the same/higher resolution as the monitor. In short, it simply allows you to see bigger picture in smaller screen. However, since the size of the screen itself doesn't change, the image will appear a bit zoomed out, so it's like zooming out in a smaller dpi screen.

The whole "oooh, pretty colors" is more governed by the screen itself, not its resolution. It is indeed true that higher resolution allows more colors to be shown (or, to be more accurate, there are more pixels that can display different colors), but it doesn't have that much effect

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    bekkay and Blackberry_Bonez like this.
    06-12-13 07:44 AM
523 1234 ...