View Poll Results: Are you SURE you want a 5" A10?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • 4.65" is PLENTY

20 32.26%
  • 4.2" to 4.5" is ideal for me.

15 24.19%
  • 5" Go hard or go home!!

27 43.55%
    Five inches = Tablet. I call BS on Thor if BlackBerry comes out with a five inch phone.

Posted from my T-Mobile Z10, no longer on the Sprint Meh network.
    07-01-13 11:31 PM
    wait another 2-3 years, come back, and read this post again. You'd feel totally different.

I remember when the phone industry saw that iphone put up a 3.5 inch screen on the phone, most "industry-watcher" said it's unnecessary, reason for high price, battery/eye draining, too big for your pocket.

Same story when HTC HD2 came out. "Experts" and "industry watcher" said they can't fit 4.2 inch to a pocket. It was HTC risky move.

Let's open our mind. Imagine a world where people sacrifice portability/size for that extra screen space. My pocket can comfortably fit a galaxy note. I just hope BlackBerry has the gut to bet on this, as going with a standard 4.7-4.8 means they will compete directly with HTC one, Samsung S4 and the upcoming big screen iphone. It would be a tougher fight.
    I'll challenge that. Blackberry stands by productivity and getting things done faster than the competition. The concept of one-handed use is crucial to this ideal. I do believe that Blackberry can go a bit larger than 4.2 on the next Z series and still maintain effective one-handed use. It only takes a bit of design optimization. They need to keep this trend ongoing.

Since the A10 wasn't meant for this crowd and it's more experimental, I fully agree that the screen size on the A10 should increase over the Z10. I do not agree that this size should be the Blackberry standard for future phones.
    07-03-13 11:40 AM
    5" or bigger is a MUST to have a premium, top-tier model, period. If you don't understand why then at least please, refrain from putting out "declaration", it only makes you sound stupid.
    07-03-13 12:24 PM
    5" or bigger is a MUST to have a premium, top-tier model, period. If you don't understand why then at least please, refrain from putting out "declaration", it only makes you sound stupid.
    Which is exactly the reason the iPhone 5 is the best selling phone in the world . Hey buddy, play nice.

Perhaps I gave the wrong impression in my posts. I meant to only portray opinion. What I meant was that I believe that Blackberry should stick to their productivity roots. They should put out phones with larger screens, but a Blackberry should always be the device that gets things done faster than any other. If they can package this into a 5" device. It's gold imo. I'm just not convinced that they could. Just my thoughts
    Last edited by LWKING; 07-03-13 at 03:51 PM.
    07-03-13 03:09 PM
    5" is the perfect size for me.
    07-03-13 03:24 PM
    they can fit a 5inch screen in a phone just slightly bigger than a Z. Well other companies can, BB probably cant because they have their bezel.
    Z10 doesn't need bezel. It's just a software implementation not hardware like the playbook. I'm pretty sure there is no way to detect touch on the bezel for BB10 devices, only at the edge of the screen.
    07-03-13 08:17 PM
    Which is exactly the reason the iPhone 5 is the best selling phone in the world . Hey buddy, play nice.
    If you are seriously comparing anything to Apple then your are even more hopeless than I thought... :P that being said iPhone 5 is only the best selling if you don't add up all current-gen Android phones (a' la 5 vs 4S vs 4 on iOS), of course.

Perhaps I gave the wrong impression in my posts. I meant to only portray opinion. What I meant was that I believe that Blackberry should stick to their productivity roots. They should put out phones with larger screens, but a Blackberry should always be the device that gets things done faster than any other. If they can package this into a 5" device. It's gold imo. I'm just not convinced that they could. Just my thoughts
    It is not difficult at all if you have the right lead - something I'm less and less convinced to believe about BB...
    07-03-13 09:52 PM
    If you are seriously comparing anything to Apple then your are even more hopeless than I thought... :P that being said iPhone 5 is only the best selling if you don't add up all current-gen Android phones (a' la 5 vs 4S vs 4 on iOS), of course.
    I was making a joke to quickly disprove your point... hence the smiley hahaha. I'm fully aware of your point.

It is not difficult at all if you have the right lead - something I'm less and less convinced to believe about BB...

The issue isn't as much as a manufacturing concern as it actually lies in ergonomics. I'm gonna quickly round the bases here so we don't have to go on an annoying post rant trying to prove our points.

1. Z10: Designed for the average user. Most people fit into this category. I believe Blackberry can extend the screen size a bit beyond the 4.2" on the current Z10 and appeal to more people. They did good, but hopefully they really nail it on the next gen and reduce that bezel.

2. A10: Designed for another, yet smaller subset of users with larger hands -- closer to the extremes (i.e. Lebron James). The extremes will be able to be productive with one-handed use on this larger screen size. This subset also includes users who prefer a larger screen over obsessive productivity needs.

This set up allows Blackberry to reach a larger user base. That being said, the A10 should NOT replace the Z10, but complement the Blackberry portfolio, which is exactly what it will do.

My argument to you is that 5" should not be a standard screen size on all future Blackberry phones as you said before. I personally don't see 5" screens as the future, but rather as a natural addition.

My original argument was that if the A10 was slightly smaller than 5", nobody would care or notice. The poll has so far proved me wrong as 5" is still the most favored option. Apparently the HTC One is too small . In retrospect, I should have created a 4.7 to 4.85 option as well since I still have a hard time believing that people think the HTC One is small. I created the poll and this thread out of curiosity to see what sizes people really prefer. However, the 4.2 - 4.65 subset as a whole still prevails over 5, as it should.
    Last edited by LWKING; 07-04-13 at 01:11 AM.
    07-04-13 01:01 AM
    You guys know the bezel doesn't have to be that big. Look at the bottom of the Q10, it's not as large as the Z10. Plus you don't even have to use the full bezel, if you touch the closest pixel near the edge you active the gesture. Don't worry so much folks about the size worry about how that screens going to look hahaha. It's going to be another great phone from BlackBerry and I think this is what they view been waiting to market the hell out of.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-13 05:53 AM
34 12