View Poll Results: Are you SURE you want a 5" A10?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • 4.65" is PLENTY

20 32.26%
  • 4.2" to 4.5" is ideal for me.

15 24.19%
  • 5" Go hard or go home!!

27 43.55%
    Everybody here is aware that the HTC One and the Galaxy S3 aren't 5" phones, right? If you weren't, are you really sure you want a 5" phone? The HTC One is 4.7" and the S3 is 4.8". With all of this talk about the desire for a 5" A10, I don't think people realize how few 5" phones actually exist. Technically speaking, even the Galaxy S4 caps out at 4.99". I just want to make sure there isn't any confusion around here. If anyone from Blackberry is following, I don't want them to get the wrong idea.

I for one DONT want a 5" phone. I don't feel that it's necessary. A 4.2" to a 5" phone is a dramatic jump and I think that most people will be plenty satisfied with the screen size of the HTC One. Therefore, I think that the original 4.65" screen was the best solution. Since the A10 won't have a 1080p screen, making it slightly smaller than the HTC One will help the A10 cope better with the resolution criticism that it's going to receive.

Now that everybody is on the same page, lets try to redo this poll.
    06-27-13 07:56 PM
    Personally anything bigger than the Z is too big for me, although I understand the appeal. Look how popular the Note is.
    And really, 4.99 isn't 5? lol
    LWKING likes this.
    06-27-13 08:04 PM
    they can fit a 5inch screen in a phone just slightly bigger than a Z. Well other companies can, BB probably cant because they have their bezel. Im down for a 5 inch 1080p screen as long as the form factor is about the size of my nexus or slightly bigger
    lcjr likes this.
    06-27-13 08:07 PM
    Personally anything bigger than the Z is too big for me, although I understand the appeal. Look how popular the Note is.
    Nope! Too small lol
    06-27-13 08:08 PM
    they can fit a 5inch screen in a phone just slightly bigger than a Z. Well other companies can, BB probably cant because they have their bezel. I down for a 5 inch 1080p screen as long as the form factor is about the size of my nexus or slightly bigger
    Totally agree on the bezel talk. Id prefer slightly bigger than a Z with less bezel. I think it would be difficult for them to make it 5" and have it only slightly larger though. Samsung pretty much gets as close as you can with the S4 and i think the S4 is huge
    06-27-13 08:10 PM
    Yeah I agree... I myself have a Note. It does get awkward to use single handed (both hands, sure) but after having the Zed... it's excellent balance. I'd probably would have gone for the 5" display if BBRY had initially released it but having used the Zed... losing some screen real estate for practicality for me personally is well worth it.
    LWKING likes this.
    06-27-13 08:15 PM
    I'd love to see the A10 in the approx range of the S3 or HTC One: 4.65"-4.8" + 1080x1920 res.

Will I get it? Probably not.
    I have that sinking feeling like when we were waiting for final specs to be announced for the original Torch (9800), and I was worried the rumours of a 360x480 screen would come true. (They did.)
    I'm exaggerating a bit, as a screen res of 720x1280 is more than high enough to look great on a 5" screen, but I'd love for BBRY to stay at the front end of the specs race in at least some regards.
    And most people couldn't tell the difference and/or wouldn't care, anyway... (I can.)

Back on topic, I'd be worried that 5" is starting to creep into the "too big" realm for me, especially with a slightly wider bezel area around it too.
    Cap_172R likes this.
    06-27-13 08:15 PM
    they can fit a 5inch screen in a phone just slightly bigger than a Z. Well other companies can, BB probably cant because they have their bezel. Im down for a 5 inch 1080p screen as long as the form factor is about the size of my nexus or slightly bigger
    true but i think one of the main reasons for the bottom bezel is not just for gestures but for comfort and ease of use when typing. you don't want the keypad all the way at the bottom of the phone, this make it awkward hold and to type, now i know they can always move the keyboard up on the screen but this also reduces screen space defeating the whole point to a larger screen.

i'm sure BlackBerry could have gone bezelless but the way i see it and the way i'm sure they saw it is that it would be more awkward to have while messaging defeating one of the BlackBerry selling points which is its keyboards
    06-27-13 08:23 PM
    I'd love to see the A10 in the approx range of the S3 or HTC One: 4.65"-4.8" + 1080x1920 res.

Will I get it? Probably not.
    I have that sinking feeling like when we were waiting for final specs to be announced for the original Torch (9800), and I was worried the rumours of a 360x480 screen would come true. (They did.)
    I'm exaggerating a bit, as a screen res of 720x1280 is more than high enough to look great on a 5" screen, but I'd love for BBRY to stay at the front end of the specs race in at least some regards.
    And most people couldn't tell the difference and/or wouldn't care, anyway... (I can.)

Back on topic, I'd be worried that 5" is starting to creep into the "too big" realm for me, especially with a slightly wider bezel area around it too.
    Yeah, the 720 x 1280 is pretty much set. Blackberry made it pretty clear that they were going to stick with that initially. This way they can increase the number of apps faster. Something had to give and apps take priority here.
    06-27-13 09:10 PM
    Yeah, the 720 x 1280 is pretty much set. Blackberry made it pretty clear that they were going to stick with that initially. This way they can increase the number of apps faster. Something had to give and apps take priority here.
    doesn't mean they can't change the resolution, the aspect ratio is the same and the app could just be stretched and still have a functional app that may or may not need to be tweeked a bit
    06-27-13 09:13 PM
    doesn't mean they can't change the resolution, the aspect ratio is the same and the app could just be stretched and still have a functional app that may or may not need to be tweeked a bit
    I always thought that was the reasoning behind it. I wouldn't know how hard it is to make that adjustment though. It could be as simple as you say.
    06-27-13 09:17 PM
    I don't really get the whole huge phone thing. I suppose it could be a good thing if you spend a lot of time staring at that screen but I can't imagine having a phone that big to deal with on a day in and day out basis. I don't do purses or backpacks so I already complain about having any of the Android phones in my pocket and when summer comes, I even complain about carrying my 9930. No need or desire for 5 inch phones for me. Give me a good, thin flip phone with a 3-4" screen and a decent OS (It'll never happen!) and call me a happy guy.
    06-27-13 09:20 PM
    I always thought that was the reasoning behind it. I wouldn't know how hard it is to make that adjustment though. It could be as simple as you say.
    i didn't say it would be simple, but Apple did it when they changed the resolution for the iPhone4 and that didn't come out as a big issue.
    06-27-13 09:24 PM
    I don't really get the whole huge phone thing. I suppose it could be a good thing if you spend a lot of time staring at that screen but I can't imagine having a phone that big to deal with on a day in and day out basis. I don't do purses or backpacks so I already complain about having any of the Android phones in my pocket and when summer comes, I even complain about carrying my 9930. No need or desire for 5 inch phones for me. Give me a good, thin flip phone with a 3-4" screen and a decent OS (It'll never happen!) and call me a happy guy.
    You sir, are a minority here!
    06-27-13 09:46 PM
    And here is me hoping for a 6"...

I use both the Z10 and the Q10. May as well go for polar opposites and head for a 6".

My Tech-Fleet: Q10; Z10; PlayBook; Surface Pro; Xbox 360; HP TouchPad; iPod Touch 5
    06-28-13 03:12 AM
    Played with an S4 yesterday. Loved the 5" screen.

Personally, I'm a big guy. I wear 2XL/3XL gloves and can fit a PB in my back pocket. 5" is not a stretch for me to carry or use. I can't type on the tiny keyboards on iPhones.

Sometimes it's nice to have something that fits...
    06-28-13 02:01 PM
    Yep. Please, note the dimensions for the S4 and the Z10. The S4 is only slightly bigger than the Z10 (buth thinner and lighter), but has a much larger screen.

Samsung I9500 Galaxy S4 vs. BlackBerry Z10 - GSMArena.com
    06-28-13 05:47 PM
    Yep. Please, note the dimensions for the S4 and the Z10. The S4 is only slightly bigger than the Z10 (buth thinner and lighter), but has a much larger screen.

Samsung I9500 Galaxy S4 vs. BlackBerry Z10 - GSMArena.com
    This.

I want a 4.8-5' phone that's physically around the size of the Z10
    06-28-13 06:25 PM
    I'm really interested to see this phone. I hope blackberry finds success with it
    06-29-13 09:00 AM
    true but i think one of the main reasons for the bottom bezel is not just for gestures but for comfort and ease of use when typing. you don't want the keypad all the way at the bottom of the phone, this make it awkward hold and to type, now i know they can always move the keyboard up on the screen but this also reduces screen space defeating the whole point to a larger screen.

i'm sure BlackBerry could have gone bezelless but the way i see it and the way i'm sure they saw it is that it would be more awkward to have while messaging defeating one of the BlackBerry selling points which is its keyboards
    They could find a very functional compromise with a larger bottom bezel (I mean the same size as Z10) while reducing the top & sides to some degree.

This is how you CB10, son!
    06-29-13 04:44 PM
    The only reason 5 inch phones appeal to me is because of the size of the battery they can put into them. The Galaxy Note 2 is the prime example.
    06-29-13 05:15 PM
    4.5inch screen is ideal ..
    LWKING likes this.
    06-30-13 11:19 PM
    Loves me my Note 2 and its 5.5 inch screen. It was ideal coming from years of using the BB's physical QWERTY keyboard. Plus the size turned out to be no problem at all -- I adjusted to it almost instantly. It even fits fine in the pockets of skinny jeans. Give that BB10 is dependent upon bezels, that the Note 2 is a good indicator of the A10's viability size-wise.
    07-01-13 01:01 PM
    wait another 2-3 years, come back, and read this post again. You'd feel totally different.

I remember when the phone industry saw that iphone put up a 3.5 inch screen on the phone, most "industry-watcher" said it's unnecessary, reason for high price, battery/eye draining, too big for your pocket.

Same story when HTC HD2 came out. "Experts" and "industry watcher" said they can't fit 4.2 inch to a pocket. It was HTC risky move.

Let's open our mind. Imagine a world where people sacrifice portability/size for that extra screen space. My pocket can comfortably fit a galaxy note. I just hope BlackBerry has the gut to bet on this, as going with a standard 4.7-4.8 means they will compete directly with HTC one, Samsung S4 and the upcoming big screen iphone. It would be a tougher fight.
    bekkay likes this.
    07-01-13 11:13 PM
    Sony managed to squeeze a 5 inch screen on the xperia zl, and that phone is about the same size as the z10. You can have a big screen on a not so big phone, but as several people pointed out, bb would have to sacrifice the bezel. I used to think 4" screens were the ideal size, but after using my ion for a while i came to love having a big screen( great for watching videos and gaming). Hope that bb can come up with a good 5" phone. Besides, it cant get any bigger than the xperia z ultra, that thing is huge!

Sent from my LT28h using Tapatalk 2
    07-01-13 11:26 PM
34 12