07-25-14 08:34 AM
65 123
tools
    As a developer I would like to know official white paper details?
    If the changed it, it means Cascades has evolved greatly and developers should prepare for it.
    Anyone have official proof?
    Not from hear say or GSM arena.

Posted via CB10
    habicht and itzJustMeh like this.
    02-25-14 05:02 AM
    90% is a 720p display. In 10.2.1 there were no changes in cascades framework.
    02-25-14 06:21 AM
    Exactly my thoughts. If it's a 720p-Screen it's okay. Otherwise BB has managed to release 5 BB10 devices with 4 different screen resolutions.

And please don't post something like - yes, but it's the same aspect ratio.
    02-25-14 06:26 AM
    It's supposedly Qhd (960x540) so yup, they've managed to cause some huge segmentation with 4 different resolutions over 5 devices. I don't think they care much though, since Android apps are resolution independent.

http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_u...-news-7926.php
    02-25-14 07:22 AM
    It's supposedly Qhd (960x540) so yup, they've managed to cause some huge segmentation with 4 different resolutions over 5 devices. I don't think they care much though, since Android apps are resolution independent.

http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_u...-news-7926.php
    Well they pulled that resolution from a rumour article on N4BB so it isn't definite.

I haven't seen anything in Momentics about a new resolution and the phone is running 10.2.1 so I don't think the resolution will be anything other than 720p. Though I could very well be wrong and BlackBerry are going to release an updated SDK just before the phone is released.

Mmm...CB10! Just the tip though...
    robitaille93 likes this.
    02-25-14 07:34 AM
    Still no update in Device characteristics. I really want to know what it is, and how to deal with it. I hope now that's official it'll be revealed within a day or two
    02-25-14 07:52 AM
    Specifications of Z3

Display: 5" qHD resolution (540 X 960) (~220 pixel density)

Chipset: 1.2GHz dual-core Snapdragon 400

Processor: Cortex A7

GPU: Adreno 305

RAM: 1.5GB

Internal storage: 8GB

Expandable: Upto 64GB

Camera: 5MP Primary Auto focus and LED Flash + 1.1MP Secondary

Additional Feature: FM Radio

Posted from my BlackBerry Q10 via CB10
    02-25-14 07:58 AM
    What's your source? We need something official, not speculations.
    Specifications of Z3

Display: 5" qHD resolution (540 X 960) (~220 pixel density)

Chipset: 1.2GHz dual-core Snapdragon 400

Processor: Cortex A7

GPU: Adreno 305

RAM: 1.5GB

Internal storage: 8GB

Expandable: Upto 64GB

Camera: 5MP Primary Auto focus and LED Flash + 1.1MP Secondary

Additional Feature: FM Radio

Posted from my BlackBerry Q10 via CB10
    02-25-14 08:02 AM
    Well they pulled that resolution from a rumour article on N4BB so it isn't definite.

I haven't seen anything in Momentics about a new resolution and the phone is running 10.2.1 so I don't think the resolution will be anything other than 720p. Though I could very well be wrong and BlackBerry are going to release an updated SDK just before the phone is released.

Didn't see them cite N4BB as a source, so no proof of that.
    It would make sense to keep it at 720p from an app perspective, but it would make sense to have a cheaper panel from a price perspective.

The chipset in the Z3 also seems to backup the claims of 540x960 resolution.

http://system-on-a-chip.findthebest....on-400-MSM8230
    Last edited by mikeo007; 02-25-14 at 09:00 AM.
    02-25-14 08:35 AM
    I guess I'm the only one not impressed with this phone. It looks nice, but it obviously has a low res screen just from the picture of it next to the Z30. The RAM is lower than the Z10 which came out a year ago.... just do not see how they expecting to make a come back with a sub par device.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 10:53 AM
    Geeksphone recently launched the Revolution handset and they said that it was not possible to get displays with a bigger resolution than qHD. So it probably wouldn't be cheap for BlackBerry and Foxconn to get HD panels if there is a shortage.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 10:54 AM
    Didn't see them cite N4BB as a source, so no proof of that.
    It would make sense to keep it at 720p from an app perspective, but it would make sense to have a cheaper panel from a price perspective.

The chipset in the Z3 also seems to backup the claims of 540x960 resolution.

http://system-on-a-chip.findthebest....on-400-MSM8230
    The reason I said N4BB is because that was the first (from what I can recall) source of these specs, and then it was listed on CrackBerry and some tout it as fact.

It might make sense to use a cheaper panel...or just older panels that were used in the Z30. If it is a 5" S-Stripe Super AMOLED screen running 720p, then it could just be pulled from the Z30.
    02-25-14 11:26 AM
    Exactly my point people .
    Either Cascades evolved to flexibility beyond resolution which I didn't catch in any changelog or its 720p screen.
    Remains to be seen.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 12:46 PM
    Exactly my point people .
    Either Cascades evolved to flexibility beyond resolution which I didn't catch in any changelog or its 720p screen.
    Remains to be seen.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I didn't see anything either in Momentics.

Though the info on the SoC claims that the resolution will be 540x960...ugh. That means that Momentics will need to be updated soon.
    02-25-14 01:27 PM
    I just really wanna see how they squeezed out hard-coded dialog blue png graphics with minimum value of 720px width.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 01:51 PM
    I just really wanna see how they squeezed out hard-coded dialog blue png graphics with minimum value of 720px width.

Posted via CB10
    2 possibilities that I can see.

Either:
    - they reworked some of the cascades elements that won't fit the screen
    - they're scaling the entire display (BB10 is already capable of this as is) which would look hideous
    02-25-14 01:53 PM
    Bingo!
    My concerns.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 01:54 PM
    I guess I'm the only one not impressed with this phone. It looks nice, but it obviously has a low res screen just from the picture of it next to the Z30. The RAM is lower than the Z10 which came out a year ago.... just do not see how they expecting to make a come back with a sub par device.

Posted via CB10
    You're not supposed to be the one impressed with the phone, mainly for emerging markets. This is a low-end device, what were you expecting? This is supposed to help BlackBerry, not make their "comeback ".

Posted via my NEW Zed30
    02-25-14 05:19 PM
    You're not supposed to be the one impressed with the phone, mainly for emerging markets. This is a low-end device, what were you expecting? This is supposed to help BlackBerry, not make their "comeback ".

Posted via my NEW Zed30
    You angry, man? Chill yourself down everyone gets an opinion and I don't think a low res screen, and less power than the year old Z10 should be the next device from a company that NEEDS a comeback.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 06:32 PM
    You angry, man? Chill yourself down everyone gets an opinion and I don't think a low res screen, and less power than the year old Z10 should be the next device from a company that NEEDS a comeback.

Posted via CB10
    No not at all, did I sound that way? Don't think I did.
    Didn't mean to.
    And just like you get an opinion,as do I. I just so happen to disagree with your "opinion" because you made the Z3 about yourself, unless you are in emerging markets I see no reason to why you would do that. BlackBerry can't make a come back, they are trying to survive, it's clear as water.

Posted via my NEW Zed30
    02-25-14 07:18 PM
    At the end of 2012, It was a race between Blackberry and WP for the race for the 3rd Ecosystem.
    WP won the race thanks to its low end/cheap phone (Lumia 520) driving WP sales and ecosystem. Blackberry overlooked this strategy and this is their way to rectified it.

The High End smartphone market is very difficult to conquer. It's all Samsung/LG and Apple. The chinese manufactures (eg. Lenovo) all successful thanks to their low end devices. Even HTC struggles with their HTC One.

Granted.. the Z3 should've been released last year to cover all price point of BB10 - Z30->Q10->Z10->Q5->Z3
    But I guess it's better be late than never. And don't worry Chen said there will be another high end QWERTY BB10 device to be released at the Q2 2014. I just wish they could release it much sooner.
    02-26-14 12:15 AM
    knobtviker ,a little update in my answer that i gave you in your post. There is a rumor that Z3 may launch with 10.2.2 and it may bring some updates to the Cascades framework . But Chen said that Z3 will release with 10.2.1 .I dont know....Lets wait and see....
    02-26-14 05:29 AM
    knobtviker ,a little update in my answer that i gave you in your post. There is a rumor that Z3 may launch with 10.2.2 and it may bring some updates to the Cascades framework . But Chen said that Z3 will release with 10.2.1 .I dont know....Lets wait and see....
    That's interesting because the Geekbench shows the Z3 using 10.2.1.2364 or something similar.

That would mean that 10.2.1 definitely works with whichever resolution is on the Z3.

02-26-14 01:21 PM
    In any case, that resolution is stupid for a long series of reasons:

- it makes BlackBerry appear as not reliable at the eyes of both power user and developers, because they said "this is our minimum resolution" and are already disproved it. And right now their credibility as a reliable company for developers is falling apart because the Z30 has a bigger screen but a lower resolution... Developers don't like to run behind a company that keeps changing their mind, forcing them to adapt.
    - they have 1 billion $ of components... including Z10 display. They could just use them on Z3.
    - Lots of developer won't even bother to work on their app to support this new resolution, especially because this device won't be available in their country. Leaving this on short of app, further damaging their image.
    - "resolution independent" is a utopia, and Android is not resolution independent like Mikeo007 said. A lot of apps need to be tweaked for various device resolution, to avoid glitch and layout misplacement. In reality, UI will always relay on raster picture, you have limitations on how extensively you can use vector graphics.
    Apple only upgraded their display by a factor of 4, so they can easily scale every raster pictures without interpolation. Their next display upgrade will also be x4, that's why they are waiting.
    - I don't believe that chipset cannot support in any way an HD Ready resolution. It's hard to believe that, also they could use a secondary GPU to draw the screen.
    - And more...
    02-28-14 08:11 PM
    I'm pretty sure i can confirm the Z3 is sporting a 720x1280 pixels display. I've been checking my app analytics and found the STJ100-1 sure enough showing 720x1280. So there you have it

smart548 likes this.
    03-01-14 04:14 PM
65 123