There is no comparison here. Chinese stuff being compared with Canadian stuff ??also everyone knows Chinese stuff breaks faster than everything else .go anywhere in the world with a BlackBerry and ppl will be like wow a BlackBerry but alternatively when they see your Chinese branded mobile they will be like euuuuuuuu were did you buy the garbage from??( no matter how fancy and good the device is) .

Posted via CB10
    Have you actually looked what kind of parts they use?
    Xiaomi Mi 4 vs BlackBerry Z3 vs Xiaomi Mi-3 - Phone specs comparison

Most if not all of the components you see these days are manufactured in china and shared by all phone manufactures. Yes, Blackberry as well.
    If it wasn't for the Blackberry OS, comparing the Xiaomi Phones and the Z3 I would say you've got ripped off.
    07-25-14 12:19 AM
    Have you actually looked what kind of parts they use?
    Xiaomi Mi 4 vs BlackBerry Z3 vs Xiaomi Mi-3 - Phone specs comparison

Most if not all of the components you see these days are manufactured in china and shared by all phone manufactures. Yes, Blackberry as well.
    If it wasn't for the Blackberry OS, comparing the Xiaomi Phones and the Z3 I would say you've got ripped off.
    Yes I have looked but do you know what all components are used except for some well known components.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 02:46 AM
    Yes I have looked but do you know what all components are used except for some well known components.

Posted via CB10
    Actually yes. There are only a handful of companies making phone parts. Only apple has their own custom components.the xiaomi's use gorilla glass from America for example. Batteries from Samsung and LG of Korea, Screens from japan display industries (JDI) so in and so forth.
    07-25-14 03:12 AM

Posted via CB10
    If you looked you probably should trade your Blackberry in for some "Canadian stuff ". Here is the component list for the Z10. My guess the Z30 and the Z3 probably use similar components. (Z3 being cheaper uses probably more less know components. )

Samsung K3PE0E000A - Multichip Memory - 2 GB Mobile DDR2 SDRAM
    Samsung KLMAG2GE4A - Multichip Memory - 16 GB MLC NAND Flash, Controller
    Qualcomm MSM8960 - Snapdragon S4 Baseband / Applications Processor
    Qualcomm WCD9310 - Audio Codec
    Qualcomm PM8921 - Power Management IC
    Qualcomm RTR8600 - GSM / CDMA / W-CDMA / LTE RxD Transceiver + GPS
    Texas Instruments WL1273L - Single-Chip 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN, Bluetooth, and FM
    TriQuint TQP6M9017 - Dual-Band WLAN Module
    RF Micro Devices RF7252 - CDMA/WCDMA BAND 2 Linear Power Amplifier Module
    RF Micro Devices RF7303 - LTE/UMTS/CDMA BAND 3 Linear Power Amplifier Module
    Inside Secure SECUREAD IC5C633I4- NFC Solution Module
    Avago ACPM-5017 - LTE Band XVII Power Amplifier
    Avago ACPM-7051 - Quad-Band GSM / W-CDMA Bands I & V Power Amplifier
    Sony CXM3582UR - SP10T Antenna Switch
    ST Microelectronics LIS3DH - MEMS Accelerometer
    STMicroelectronics LSM330DLC - 3D Accelerometer & 3D Gyroscope
    Synaptics Clearpad 3203 - Capacitive Touchscreen Controller
    07-25-14 10:05 AM
    If you looked you probably should trade your Blackberry in for some "Canadian stuff ". Here is the component list for the Z10. My guess the Z30 and the Z3 probably use similar components. (Z3 being cheaper uses probably more less know components. )

Samsung K3PE0E000A - Multichip Memory - 2 GB Mobile DDR2 SDRAM
    Samsung KLMAG2GE4A - Multichip Memory - 16 GB MLC NAND Flash, Controller
    Qualcomm MSM8960 - Snapdragon S4 Baseband / Applications Processor
    Qualcomm WCD9310 - Audio Codec
    Qualcomm PM8921 - Power Management IC
    Qualcomm RTR8600 - GSM / CDMA / W-CDMA / LTE RxD Transceiver + GPS
    Texas Instruments WL1273L - Single-Chip 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN, Bluetooth, and FM
    TriQuint TQP6M9017 - Dual-Band WLAN Module
    RF Micro Devices RF7252 - CDMA/WCDMA BAND 2 Linear Power Amplifier Module
    RF Micro Devices RF7303 - LTE/UMTS/CDMA BAND 3 Linear Power Amplifier Module
    Inside Secure SECUREAD IC5C633I4- NFC Solution Module
    Avago ACPM-5017 - LTE Band XVII Power Amplifier
    Avago ACPM-7051 - Quad-Band GSM / W-CDMA Bands I & V Power Amplifier
    Sony CXM3582UR - SP10T Antenna Switch
    ST Microelectronics LIS3DH - MEMS Accelerometer
    STMicroelectronics LSM330DLC - 3D Accelerometer & 3D Gyroscope
    Synaptics Clearpad 3203 - Capacitive Touchscreen Controller

I know that much that non of the product's 100% hardware are made by there own brand(do I look like a dumb isheep follower to you ).i am just saying that product from BlackBerry or some German or African phone manufacturer will sound more reliable than from Chinese brand.Here it's not the brand name(xiamo) that can't be trusted but the simple reason that the company is from China were products build and developed are well known not to last.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 11:10 AM

I know that much that non of the product's 100% hardware are made by there own brand(do I look like a dumb isheep follower to you ).i am just saying that product from BlackBerry or some German or African phone manufacturer will sound more reliable than from Chinese brand.Here it's not the brand name(xiamo) that can't be trusted but the simple reason that the company is from China were products build and developed are well known not to last.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think you are an iSheep however you come across as a "BlackberrySheep" defending the brand like they are paying you to write those comments and dismiss/playing down and overlook the competition.

I don't have a Xiaomi phone and probably would never buy one, however looking at the specs of the phone (including components) and the price it is petty impressive. You are correct about Chinese products having a bad rep but just because the company is Chinese doesn't mean all the products are bad. In Xiaomi's case it shows that a Chinese company can produce high quality products and it also shows how much Apple, Blackberry ripping is off (with outrageous prices for the same components), the consumer who defend their products in forums and blogs like if they are owing us something.
    07-25-14 11:31 AM
    Where does Foxconn make the Z3? I taught it was made in China, some importer site with import figures showed the Z3 coming from China.

I know they talked about Foxconn and Indonesia, but didn't know if that was future or not.

Yes China makes some cheap stuff, but they also make some high end stuff... You may dismiss everything from China if you want.... BlackBerry really can't afford to do that in their situation.
    07-25-14 02:59 PM
    So you agree that China "assembles" high quality products.
    Yeah cheap labour is one of the major factor there. People work there at the cheapest wage due to large population plus working conditions are worst as these people tend to get cancer more often as shown in the news

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 09:44 AM
    So you agree that China "assembles" high quality products.
    iPhones are assembled by Chinese.

Posted via CB10 with Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    07-26-14 10:38 AM
    I think the point here is xiaomai is a new brand but is able to compete with the saturated market of Android and it was able to create a demand.

via Q10
    Bsbudd likes this.
    07-26-14 10:26 PM
    I think the point here is xiaomai is a new brand but is able to compete with the saturated market of Android and it was able to create a demand.

via Q10
    Presumably because Xiaomi's employees also work with minimum wage.

I mean, when you deal with this industry, you don't just count parts cost, you also need to count the monthly wage of your employees, or maybe one-time fees for designers, or maybe one-time fees for product design support. The cost would add up, to the point that companies need to adjust the phone price to keep the company profitable

I really don't think they can get such a low price without other tricks (such as the one I describe above), save for if they actually run their own assembly / parts manufacturing factory

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    07-26-14 11:01 PM
    Labor and cost will depend where(country) it was manufactured. That to say a low wage of these employees does not necessarily mean that is considered low in their country.

via Q10
    07-26-14 11:52 PM
    Is it so hard to do a bit of googling before spouting nonsense? Xiaomi actually gets their localisation for free. There are fan communities which do translation, create themes unique for the country, etc, rewarded by xiaomi by having their names in the credits on the rom, also with free phones etc. Best part is they really listen and engage people via wechat and Facebook. I've never seen another phone company literally reply even about future products etc personally to fb comments. Hugo barra himself even replied to a few directly...

As for regular employees/management, they're mostly ex motorola, Microsoft, Google, IBM, Lenovo and apple people. Do you think these guys will work for "minimum wage"?

Do u think component manufacturers makes their staff work for minimum wage? And Foxconn? If so then BlackBerry is no different as they use the same manufacturing and components.

They have almost 0 marketing spend. That alone makes up 30% of the handset cost. So by default they are able to sell for 30% less. Their logistics are also superior. Instead of stockpiling or selling via resellers or local distributors, products are shipped direct to your door from their factory, as soon as one batch is assembled they sell it. Which is why they sell only on one day a week usually. They don't stockpile like other companies. The moment a batch is made, it's on its way to the end user.
    alberto espel likes this.
    07-27-14 01:42 AM
    I really don't think they can get such a low price without other tricks (such as the one I describe above), save for if they actually run their own assembly / parts manufacturing factory
    I don't know about you, but im certainly old enough to remember people saying the same thing about dell when they started decimating the competition in the pc industry.
    07-27-14 01:47 AM
    I don't know about you, but im certainly old enough to remember people saying the same thing about dell when they started decimating the competition in the pc industry.
    Until the Chinese knock off just about killed them.... If Dell didn't have such a strong presence in enterprise, they would have gone under long ago.
    afhstingray likes this.
    07-28-14 10:43 AM
    Until the Chinese knock off just about killed them.... If Dell didn't have such a strong presence in enterprise, they would have gone under long ago.
    Because their products are good and competitive price wise. Just like the "chinese so-called knock offs" of today are.

You make a superb point, that's exactly what BlackBerry is doing now. Abandoning the consumer market and trying to deepen it's eroded enterprise trench. I've said this before but got flamed. John Chen is doing a fantastic job. Just won't ride well with BlackBerry fanboys outside corporate.
    Let then get healthy first. Then they can take on android/iOS.

I sincerely hope they make it work. Bb10 now has lots of flaws but I see it's potential. I'd be damn sad to see it go.
    zoom6628 likes this.
    07-28-14 12:25 PM
    Im a huge Xiami phone - have owned the original 1 and the Hongmi (Red Rice) and was on verge of buying an M3.
    Then i saw the Z3 and could not resist because i also love my old 9700.
    There is no comparison of BB to iOS or Android because the emphasis is different.
    BB is to work and communicate. iOS is best for visual and audio media. Android best for mucking around. And yes i have all types of devices including even Win 8.1. And I will say it here that as much as I love BB10 for its focus on productivity, the only viable competitor at the moment is Win8.1 on phone/phab because it gets the integration of comms tools and office tools right....just like the BB does.

I dont play games (mobile or pc) i dont watch movies/tv on devices. My life, personal and work, is based on clear communication of technical and economic subjects, lots of diagrams, tools, website stuff, development across multiple platforms, languages. To keep me productive the present state of OS10.1 vs iOS 7 vs Win8.1 vs Android 4.4 is that the OS10 is years ahead.

And why dont BB sell by the container load? Because BB by nature is a business device. And "businessmen" (hate the term but you can imagine what it means) are a infinitesimally smaller population than children, teenies, housewives, and anybody else on the planet needing a mobile phone. I hope they do NOT cater to the consumer masses and go to produce yet another "lowest common denominator" smash-up mediocre compromise like LG, Samsung, etc.
    08-02-14 12:47 AM
    BB10 when they started as vanilla QNX was already light years ahead of the others in technology. Still is. If you are a geek that is proud to carry/use the very latest and best tech then you can safely carry a BB10 device for next few years. Maybe 2020 the folks in the Valley or Cupertino will have caught up. The core difference is in the approach to the kernel.
    08-02-14 12:51 AM
    Yes Foxconn makes the Z3 in China. And the iPhones .... same factory site. They even at one point did assembly of Xiaomi i was told but couldnt verify. In case you were not sure if China could make some good stuff, the locally assemble BMWs, Mercedes, and last year finished and got verified the fastest HPC supercomputer in the world...2x nearest comp and its running at less than 50% capability.

Every country has produced rubbish in some niches and/or some period of time. Dont judge one niche/industry/product by others - its like evaluating the quality of a country's icecream based on their ability to make cars.

And i ran a company making phones in China back in late 90s. The phones were made in China because nowhere else on the planet could make them well enough. Production was relocated to China to remove quality issues (and it increased costs). The company i worked for brought inductive charging to handsets in 1998 - its still not mainstream amongst "quality" mainstream brands.
    08-02-14 12:57 AM
    Knocks are only successful if they are profitable at much lower price point....or....as is usually the case with successful knock-offs from any market....the incumbent was not doing enough to be able to defend their position. This is basic economics - markets move to viable substitutes that give better value.
    08-02-14 12:59 AM
    Compare the z3 with asus zenphone 5. Zenphone 5 has better display, 2gb of ram, equally premium looking and lower priced than the z3.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    08-02-14 10:37 AM
46 12