BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) news: A Sub-$100 Nexus Phone Can Kill The BlackBerry Z3 - Seeking Alpha

Summary

Rumor has it that MediaTek is helping Google come up with a sub-$100 Nexus Android phone. ...

A $150 or $200 BlackBerry Z3 entry-level BB OS 10 phone will find it hard to compete with a $100 Google phone.

Since 2010 ?
    Last edited by Koepman; 04-19-14 at 02:58 PM.
    phoneaddict78 likes this.
    04-19-14 02:26 PM
    So very cheap Android phones is the bar set for BlackBerry now?????
    I think I need to vomit.
    04-19-14 02:44 PM
    Ew that cheap a$s phone, and Android *vomits*

From my White Z30
    AlexB1227 likes this.
    04-19-14 02:48 PM
    OP, please put a sentence or two on your take on the matter. Linking to an article is meaningless at best.
    southlander and Mr4aces like this.
    04-19-14 02:50 PM
    OP, please put a sentence or two on your take on the matter. Linking to an article is meaningless at best.

Since 2010 ?
    04-19-14 02:53 PM
    I actually don't think that BlackBerry should be creating devices specifically for emerging markets. I think what they should be doing is releasing only two high end devices pee year; one keyboard and one touch. When a new flagship is released in the developed markets BlackBerry should be dropping the price of older models as a device for the emerging markets. I think it's a waste of resources to spend money to develop low end devices that have limited margins.

As for this article I think it is pathetic. It's all over the place and has no specifics whatsoever. It's almost like a blog entry.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    oilgeo10 likes this.
    04-19-14 09:13 PM
    BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) news: A Sub-$100 Nexus Phone Can Kill The BlackBerry Z3 - Seeking Alpha

Summary

Rumor has it that MediaTek is helping Google come up with a sub-$100 Nexus Android phone. ...

A $150 or $200 BlackBerry Z3 entry-level BB OS 10 phone will find it hard to compete with a $100 Google phone.

Since 2010 ?
    Are they out of their minds....

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-19-14 09:17 PM
    "BBRY is not going to go beyond $9 again if Google starts flooding emerging markets with a sub-$100 Nexus phone." how is this remotely credible!!! .... time machine !?!!

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-19-14 09:20 PM
    There already exists sub $100 android phones.

A colleague of mine bought a couple for about $70 plus shipping and import duties for a total of $115 each.. They look like Samsung Galaxies but with much lower specs. I looked at them, and he said I should get one, but I bought my parents a $150 Q5 instead. Sometimes there is going too cheap and I would suspect a Nexus sub $100 phone would be one of those instances.
    04-19-14 09:54 PM
    The Z3 will be a big hit with security and cost conscious enterprise customers. The ones going against the BYOD trend. Even large corporations only issue top end phones to the top management.

I believe this is the strategy.

Can the nexus do the same? I highly doubt it, especially a nexus which is a developer device (ment to be hacked, rooted and prodded with)

The only android phones which have any sort of security are samsungs with KNOX which have the DoDs permission to operate.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    04-19-14 10:33 PM
    another Android advocate fails to acknowledge that some people won't use android as their daily driver at any price... but BlackBerry won't overtake Android with the audience that wants an android device, even if all android devices are more costly than the cheapest BlackBerry device.

For the time being, for a certain class of users, BlackBerry offers advantages over Android that are worth paying double for... so android devices being cheaper than BlackBerry devices is a red herring in terms of market penetration... which is apt because even fish can post unsupportable "analysis" articles on Seeking Alpha.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    04-19-14 10:42 PM
    Alright, now I'm officially confused. For weeks, I've been reading nonstop on these forums that the Z3 will save BlackBerry because it'll give them the volume to compete against the Lumia 520, other cheap Windows phones, and cheap Android phones. Now everyone in this thread is saying that BlackBerry shouldn't compete in the low end. Did I miss something???

Sent from my RM-821_eu_france_267 using Tapatalk
    KDB84 likes this.
    04-19-14 10:45 PM
    Alright, now I'm officially confused. For weeks, I've been reading nonstop on these forums that the Z3 will save BlackBerry because it'll give them the volume to compete against the Lumia 520, other cheap Windows phones, and cheap Android phones. Now everyone in this thread is saying that BlackBerry shouldn't compete in the low end. Did I miss something???

Sent from my RM-821_eu_france_267 using Tapatalk
    What!? Hmm not everyone... i didn't say that anyway lol...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    acovey likes this.
    04-19-14 10:47 PM
    another Android advocate fails to acknowledge that some people won't use android as their daily driver at any price... but BlackBerry won't overtake Android with the audience that wants an android device, even if all android devices are more costly than the cheapest BlackBerry device.

For the time being, for a certain class of users, BlackBerry offers advantages over Android that are worth paying double for... so android devices being cheaper than BlackBerry devices is a red herring in terms of market penetration... which is apt because even fish can post unsupportable "analysis" articles on Seeking Alpha.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. Lets just say blackberry and androids are not completing for the same market. No anymore at least, there might be some overlap but the distinction of target markets is clear.

04-19-14 10:48 PM
    The Z3 will be a big hit with security and cost conscious enterprise customers. The ones going against the BYOD trend. Even large corporations only issue top end phones to the top management.

I believe this is the strategy.

Can the nexus do the same? I highly doubt it, especially a nexus which is a developer device (ment to be hacked, rooted and prodded with)

The only android phones which have any sort of security are samsungs with KNOX which have the DoDs permission to operate.

I thought they weren't certified for DOD...?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-19-14 10:48 PM
    Now everyone in this thread is saying that BlackBerry shouldn't compete in the low end.
    That's not exactly what I said. I've said they should use older models at cheap price points to compete in ever markets. That makes more sense to me than creating new devices specifically for that segment.

Mr4aces likes this.
    04-19-14 11:18 PM
    BlackBerry has bigger problems than worrying about competing with a sub $100 android phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-14 12:07 AM
    BlackBerry has bigger problems than worrying about competing with a sub $100 android phone.
    I agree, except that they've invested a lot of dough in developing a phone specifically for that market.

04-20-14 12:09 AM
    I read somewhere that the Z30 is going to be closer to $100, my guess is that it will be around $139.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-14 12:19 AM
    I read somewhere that the Z30 is going to be closer to $100, my guess is that it will be around $139.

Posted via CB10
    We can all wish....

But you probably meant the Z3.

Posted via CB10
    acovey and Mr4aces like this.
    04-20-14 12:36 AM
    There are already a number of Android non-contract phones under $100. I could see these being popular on BYOD plans, but most US consumers get their phones on 2 year contracts, so they tend to buy the expensive Galaxy, iPhone or Nexus 5. The budget price phones are not hurting the sales of those higher priced phones.
    04-20-14 12:43 AM
    I don't know about $100 nexus, but moto g and upcoming even cheaper variant, moto e are going to give it a real tough competition.
    BB did a bad thing by increasing the screen size to 5", and compromised with ppi. Because of this the screen will look less attractive.
    Also, the backing from app market.
    And why do people live under impression that Blackberry protects your privacy and stuff? On android,
    App permissions?-adjustable
    Bored of UI?-change it
    Dont want google?-okay, just dont install gapps next time.
    Don't hate freedom. With great app market, comes great malware vulnerability. Learn to CommonSense2014, your best anti-virus and malware protection. I do hope BB releases a high ppi low cost yet powerful BB10 device. Also, voice assistance is needed. Google Now on G makes Z10 looks stupid
    04-20-14 12:44 AM
    I don't know about $100 nexus, but moto g and upcoming even cheaper variant, moto e are going to give it a real tough competition.
    BB did a bad thing by increasing the screen size to 5", and compromised with ppi. Because of this the screen will look less attractive.
    Also, the backing from app market.
    And why do people live under impression that Blackberry protects your privacy and stuff? On android,
    App permissions?-adjustable
    Bored of UI?-change it
    Dont want google?-okay, just dont install gapps next time.
    Don't hate freedom. With great app market, comes great malware vulnerability. Learn to CommonSense2014, your best anti-virus and malware protection. I do hope BB releases a high ppi low cost yet powerful BB10 device. Also, voice assistance is needed. Google Now on G makes Z10 looks stupid
    Hey you must be loving your new moto g! Can you really adjust permissions? I have a SGS3 with jelly bean official samsung os and I cant change em.

jaydee5799 likes this.
    04-20-14 01:04 AM
    Hey you must be loving your new moto g! Can you really adjust permissions? I have a SGS3 with jelly bean official samsung os and I cant change em.

Yes, i absolutely love it. Had no idea what i was missing all this long. All i say now is "Ok, Google", and its activated. I can ask it to call, navigate, play music, look up for something, etc. and it does it finely. Now a days, whenever i dont feel like typing, i just tap microphone on keyboard, and i say whatever i need to. It enters everything pretty accurately. No matter English or Hindi, or any other language.

About your permissions, as you are on jelly bean, here you go
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...fr.slvn.appops

Also, you can refer this article as well
    Everything You Need to Know About Managing App Permissions on Android

and do check for everything before you install it. Visit XDA if you need proper guidance, be updated. And run malwarebytes one in a month or so. I hope you maintain your phone.(Malwarebytes is important tool for non-tech related people, for security)

And do visit(everyone)
    https://prism-break.org/en/
    You'll learn alot.
    drrobert_Taco likes this.
    04-20-14 01:21 AM
    so is the z3 supposed to be the bb10 equivalent of the previous curve series which were low end devices?
    04-20-14 01:25 AM
109 123 ...