After the last JC interview for Forbes where he suggested Blackberry would be for high end devices and people looking for quality products mostly in enterprise sector. I find it difficult how the Jakarta can fit it to such a statement, BUT I can suggest a Jakarta low end handset with a forked Android kitkat software close to what Nokia did with its X phone. Thus Blackberry can offer clients the ability to customise the phone with Blackberry "standard" features for more money to pay ( I suggest an OS 7 though). And no need to add the naming should be far from the high end blackberry naming language.

What do you guys think?

Posted via my Q10/Playbook/Curve
    tx ram likes this.
    02-14-14 05:11 AM
    Can't say I agree. I believe they have to put BBOS10 on as many hands possible, the os is great and you have to let more people use it so they can advocate for it.
    Bbnivende and MaxR_A like this.
    02-14-14 05:30 AM
    Thread moved to the new Z3 (Jakarta) sub-forum!
    02-17-14 12:05 PM
    BlackBerry have already crossed that bridge 4 years ago.

After investing 3 years and billions of dollars to create their own BB10 OS, the amount of money and effort to switch to Android os would be too costly.

BlackBerry is better off continuing to improve the BB10 OS and building quality devices.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    02-19-14 07:31 AM
    BlackBerry have already crossed that bridge 4 years ago.

After investing 3 years and billions of dollars to create their own BB10 OS, the amount of money and effort to switch to Android os would be too costly.

BlackBerry is better off continuing to improve the BB10 OS and building quality devices.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    I agree with web99.

It seems to me that some people are all too quick to say Blackberry should go Android, but don't figure in the cost of moving to Android. Android is not free, as you still have to have the support staff and developers to support it on Blackberry's payroll. If someone wants a Android phone, then they should not look for Blackberry to make one for them and thus need to look at someone else.
    02-22-14 11:38 AM
    And yep, I chose BlackBerry because of Bb10. It's efficiency and the whole package. Can't imagine myself on an Android phone..

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 10:59 PM
    I'm sorry I don't see any advantage for the Jakarta to be an Android phone.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 11:38 PM
    Android noah

I hate when people mention Android

I hate BB when they have supported Androids Apps

We need to be a special BB eco-system with our own Apps

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    02-23-14 01:55 AM
    People just say all these comments as they simply want the apps on BlackBerry ten. Nothing to do with the operating system...

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 06:30 PM
    After the last JC interview for Forbes where he suggested Blackberry would be for high end devices and people looking for quality products mostly in enterprise sector. I find it difficult how the Jakarta can fit it to such a statement, BUT I can suggest a Jakarta low end handset with a forked Android kitkat software close to what Nokia did with its X phone. Thus Blackberry can offer clients the ability to customise the phone with Blackberry "standard" features for more money to pay ( I suggest an OS 7 though). And no need to add the naming should be far from the high end blackberry naming language.

What do you guys think?

Posted via my Q10/Playbook/Curve
    I don't agree, in part because BB10 already accommodates Android so well that it doesn't seem worth the effort to develop yet another fork.

Bear in mind that BB10's support for Android now is on par with any non-Google device. Better than most, in fact.
    goku_vegeta likes this.
    02-25-14 06:34 PM
    Pretty much agree with everyone else. The Jakarta do not need to be an Android Phone. BB10 can run Android apps already.
    And I love the BB10 UI! Changing it to Android or a forked version would be a downgrade IMO.

Price, marketing and apps are the main problem for them IMO. They got the price right with Jakarta, now they need to speed up on Native apps and do some good marketing.
    02-26-14 12:21 AM
    No blackberry android phone for me. There's too many android now and would like blackberry to be different. I think this is the same as Curve vs Bold. The z3 will replace the Curve in my opinion. When I started using BlackBerry I bought the cheapest I could find(8520) and move to bold then the Q10. It will be a good phone for those who want a smartphone but don't want to spend so much on it and for those who are trying a different OS. I believe this will be a good step up to get more people try the BB10. In Philippines I believe there are still many who likes the Blackberry just that it's quite expensive so I hope the z3 will be released here. They would do good releasing this phone in developing and emerging markets. More choices now for bb10. Glad to see Chen is moving fast on this. Momentum for catch up should continue especially smartphone innovation is slowing down this time. I still believe in Blackberry and would still get another product hopefully my bank would do app for blackberry that would be perfect.

via Q10
    02-26-14 01:29 AM
    Android noah

I hate when people mention Android

I hate BB when they have supported Androids Apps

We need to be a special BB eco-system with our own Apps

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    I agree with having our own BlackBerry ecosystem, but for right now I think that being able to run Android apps is a quick fix. Being able to run Android apps not only makes it easy to sideload, but it also encourages developers to bring an Android port over and put it onto BlackBerry World. If they notice there is a lot of demand for the application after putting it onto BlackBerry World, they might feel inclined to make it Built for BlackBerry.

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    02-26-14 06:07 PM
    No blackberry android phone for me. There's too many android now and would like blackberry to be different. I think this is the same as Curve vs Bold. The z3 will replace the Curve in my opinion. When I started using BlackBerry I bought the cheapest I could find(8520) and move to bold then the Q10. It will be a good phone for those who want a smartphone but don't want to spend so much on it and for those who are trying a different OS. I believe this will be a good step up to get more people try the BB10. In Philippines I believe there are still many who likes the Blackberry just that it's quite expensive so I hope the z3 will be released here. They would do good releasing this phone in developing and emerging markets. More choices now for bb10. Glad to see Chen is moving fast on this. Momentum for catch up should continue especially smartphone innovation is slowing down this time. I still believe in Blackberry and would still get another product hopefully my bank would do app for blackberry that would be perfect.

via Q10
    Another one making and Android phone, among the dozens of Chinese manufacturers? If even HTC is struggling?

It will water down the BB brand, confuse people and provide no real differentiation. How would that phone be different to let's say a Moto G knockoff, except it's sporting a BB logo? Hub integration? BBM pre-installed? BB wallpaper?

iPhone for me? Scr... ahem Q that! (posted from the latter)
    03-03-14 05:27 PM
    If BlackBerry will go for "Android phone", they need to compete with "specs"... they can no longer use an excuse of OS efficiency and optimization for having mediocre specs...

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 06:59 PM