Following the issue of extreemly high retail pricing of the Q5 ( with 2 GB Ram) I suggest that BlackBerrys Foxconn made handset should be limited to 1GB of ram, keeping production costs down while still keeping os operations smooth. No doubt active frames will need to be limited to 4 open windows at once but taking into consideration the target market for these devices, 4 active frames from BBos7 pretend multitasking will be like going from a commodore 64 to a modern games console.

How do you feel about the execution of BlackBerrys next handset?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Ku_Dau likes this.
    12-29-13 09:26 AM
    Unfortunately BlackBerry 10 requires at least 2GB RAM to run smoothly - one reason why the PlayBook is not getting the BlackBerry 10 experience.

Posted via CB10
    AlexB1227, extisis, milo53 and 9 others like this.
    12-29-13 09:34 AM
    I don`t think BB10 will even run with 1GB of ram. The playbook has 1GB and it was stated the low ram was why BB10 did not come to the playbook.
    milo53 and SifiGamer like this.
    12-29-13 09:35 AM
    Unfortunately BlackBerry 10 requires at least 2GB RAM to run smoothly - one reason why the PlayBook is not getting the BlackBerry 10 experience.

Posted via CB10
    lol beat me to it!
    milo53 likes this.
    12-29-13 09:36 AM
    Actually I think it had more to do with ot than only the 1GB RAM. It looks like it also had to do with the chosen chipsets in the PlayBook combined with the 1GB. Dev alpha's ran good enough on 1 from what I read around here.

1 GB could do it maybe, but it could also cripple the device capabilities I think

Posted via CB10
    Bor Navas and SifiGamer like this.
    12-29-13 09:39 AM
    I don't believe the " BlackBerry 10 cannot run on 1GB ram" statement.

I'm no engineer, software or otherwise, but I would like some concrete proof that BB is to respect heavy to run on 1GB.

I find it difficult to believe BB10 is less streamline than Android when you address the multitasking, active frames situation, even with jellybean 4.4.

12-29-13 10:17 AM
    They aren't going to let any BB10 device get less than 2gb of ram... ever.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    Thesmartmale and DiegoV_G like this.
    12-29-13 10:24 AM
    The actual cost of RAM is so cheap, why would they risk a poor customer experience by halfing it, particularly when the main objective of this initial exercise with Foxconn is to get BB10 devices into as many hands as possible? BB10 runs great on 2gb; the additional development and tweaking that would be required to get it to run on 1gb is just not worth the effort.
    12-29-13 10:24 AM
    I absolutly can't stand Android touchscreen keyboards.

Cannot wait to get a Z10.

Dave Bourque likes this.
    12-29-13 10:26 AM
    I've added up essentials from the device manager and it's 674.6 MB used. That doesn't leave much. 2GB ram is cheap nowadays anyway. They wouldn't save that much if any by getting 1GB.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    web99 likes this.
    12-29-13 10:30 AM
    So please tell me what happened with the Q5?

How low specs wise can you go and not charge astronomical prices?

12-29-13 10:32 AM

Q5 was not priced cheaply just like the iPhone 5c. Jakarta will be capable of cuttings costs significantly and have similar specs than the Q5. At least that's what I think will happen.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    12-29-13 10:37 AM

BlackBerry probably thought that customers would buy the device for the price they demand.
    Which is a totally delusional thought, when I can get a Nexus 5 for the same price.

The components the Q5 uses, have already become cheaper by now.
    So theoretically, even if BlackBerry would relaunch the Q5 as the exact same phone, it would be cheaper by now.

Posted via CB10
    BK_NY_RAY and keypad like this.
    12-29-13 10:42 AM
    There are a few reported Q10's out there (maybe without 4G?) on these forums that are only running with 1GB of RAM.

That being said, 2GB has been getting cheaper and cheaper, but as with anything, only time will tell what they end up choosing.
    keypad and meltbox360 like this.
    12-29-13 10:49 AM
    BlackBerry probably thought that customers would buy the device for the price they demand.
    Which is a totally delusional thought, when I can get a Nexus 5 for the same price.

The components the Q5 uses, have already become cheaper by now.
    So theoretically, even if BlackBerry would relaunch the Q5 as the exact same phone, it would be cheaper by now.

Posted via CB10
    Well now they have Foxconn to really make things cheaper.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    12-29-13 10:50 AM
    The actual cost of RAM is so cheap, why would they risk a poor customer experience by halfing it, particularly when the main objective of this initial exercise with Foxconn is to get BB10 devices into as many hands as possible? BB10 runs great on 2gb; the additional development and tweaking that would be required to get it to run on 1gb is just not worth the effort.
    Well said and I think the last thing BlackBerry can afford now is a horrible laggy phone and poor consumer experience.

Posted via CB10
    LuvULongTime and web99 like this.
    12-29-13 10:51 AM
    Whether we like it or not, labour costs make up a significant portion of the production cost. Without opening a can of worms, it's just cheaper to produce in certain parts of the world due to this.

Posted via CB10
    keypad likes this.
    12-29-13 10:54 AM
    Q5 was not priced cheaply just like the iPhone 5c. Jakarta will be capable of cuttings costs significantly and have similar specs than the Q5. At least that's what I think will happen.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    This is not what I hope will happen, this is what has to happen.
    Most people are in agreement that the Q5 was overpriced, and if I remember rightly, that handset was marketed as " for the emerging market" we all know how that one turned out.

BlackBerry could have priced the Q5 much more competitively but didn't, the rest is history.

We now have,
    Moto g
    Lumia 520
    BLackBerry 9720 on os7

Etc etc etc

Houston, we have a problem, somebody please reboot the system.

12-29-13 10:56 AM
    They just need to accept lower margins. They are trying to win back market share, they can't command premium pricing even if it is a premium handset. That was a big strategic mistake by Blackberry when they launched BB 10. They under estimated consumer acceptance. The difference between one and two gigs of ram is really nothing. They need to start giving more for the price. My two cents.
    12-29-13 11:00 AM
    This is not what I hope will happen, this is what has to happen.
    Most people are in agreement that the Q5 was overpriced, and if I remember rightly, that handset was marketed as " for the emerging market" we all know how that one turned out.

BlackBerry could have priced the Q5 much more competitively but didn't, the rest is history.

We now have,
    Moto g
    Lumia 520
    BLackBerry 9720 on os7

Etc etc etc

Houston, we have a problem, somebody please reboot the system.

Would've. Could've. Should've. But didn't. Cost isn't BlackBerry's only problem.
    mathking606 likes this.
    12-29-13 11:02 AM
    We don't even know if jakarta will be going with BB10... And I don't think 1 vs 2gb of ram would make a tone of diference in price
    Following the issue of extreemly high retail pricing of the Q5 ( with 2 GB Ram) I suggest that BlackBerrys Foxconn made handset should be limited to 1GB of ram, keeping production costs down while still keeping os operations smooth. No doubt active frames will need to be limited to 4 open windows at once but taking into consideration the target market for these devices, 4 active frames from BBos7 pretend multitasking will be like going from a commodore 64 to a modern games console.

How do you feel about the execution of BlackBerrys next handset?

I don't think 1gb of RAM is the reason for the cost of the phone. RAM is cheap these days. People who make a big deal about it needing 2gb of RAM are just complaining like people who complain that Android needs quad core processors. So what if it all cost the same when you buy it? BBRY just over priced the phone for what you got.
    web99 likes this.
    I don't believe the " BlackBerry 10 cannot run on 1GB ram" statement.

I'm no engineer, software or otherwise, but I would like some concrete proof that BB is to respect heavy to run on 1GB.
    Here's your proof:

Restart any current BB10 phone. Wait until the Hub loads then, with no active frames running, swipe down from the top and go to Settings / About / Hardware

Whatever the value is under Free Memory deduct 1GB from it. That's how little RAM would be left for running apps, browsing the web and multitasking in general, i.e. nowhere near enough.

My Z10 is on my BES10 server at work. When I restart my Z10 and let the Hub finish loading, with no other apps running I'm left with LESS than 1GB of free memory. That means the Jakarta phone with 1GB of RAM activated on BES10 wouldn't even be able to boot up.

A few unfortunate souls on CrackBerry forums have ended up somehow with BB10 phones with only 1GB of RAM and report that they can run two apps simultaneously at best, but it depends entirely on the apps. Browsing lots of websites in tabs with other apps running would be unthinkable.

The Dev BB10 phones that had 1GB ran in to free memory problems as BB10 grew. There are videos on YouTube of BlackBerry employees demonstrating BB10 features on Dev Alpha and Beta phones where they have to close the Active Frames of other apps before they can do their demonstration because they were already out of free memory. What they were trying to demonstrate wouldn't load. They commented at the time "Don't worry the production units will have 2GB of RAM".

The ex-CEO of BlackBerry, Thorsten Heins , said himself to CrackBerry's Kevin in an interview when asked why BB10 wasn't coming to the PlayBook, "I can't put 2GB of RAM in everyone's PlayBook".

I find it difficult to believe BB10 is less streamline than Android when you address the multitasking, active frames situation, even with jellybean 4.4.

You may find it difficult to believe but doesn't mean it isn't true. Some people still find it difficult to believe that men walked on the Moon.

BlackBerry 10 is less efficient than Android and iOS when it comes to memory management.

The biggest design flaw in BlackBerry 10 is that everything running, the OS and the "apps" all have to be held in physical RAM all at the same time. BlackBerry have not implemented a virtual memory or hybrid task suspension system like iOS where things that aren't in use and don't need to be in physical RAM can be unloaded from RAM and loaded back in when they are needed.

The result of that is that BlackBerry 10 needs a lot more physical RAM to do the same kinds of things done with Android and iOS. And that's why it will have been over a year since the launch of the Z10 before there is a true low end BB10 phone on the market; the Jakarta. The 2GB of RAM minimum requirement has been a barrier to making a cheap BB10 phone.

That fact has hurt BlackBerry and the BlackBerry 10 platform an awful lot in 2013.

Posted via CB10 on Z10 STL100-2 on EE, UK - Activated on BES10.2
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 12-29-13 at 11:34 AM.
    12-29-13 11:11 AM
    I don't think 1gb of RAM is the reason for the cost of the phone. RAM is cheap these days. People who make a big deal about it needing 2gb of RAM are just complaining like people who complain that Android needs quad core processors. So what if it all cost the same when you buy it? BBRY just over priced the phone for what you got.
    It's not a big deal now in December 2013, that's why they are now going to make a low end BB10 phone for the Spring of 2014. But it was a big deal in December 2012 just before BB10 was launched.

A year in the tech industry is a long time.
    RAM prices have come down as they usually do (barring natural disasters wiping out factories and the like in Asia) so now it's possible.

Posted via CB10 on Z10 STL100-2 on EE, UK - Activated on BES10.2
    12-29-13 11:15 AM
    We don't even know if jakarta will be going with BB10... And I don't think 1 vs 2gb of ram would make a tone of diference in price
    I'm fairly sure I've seen a some press from John Chen where it was stated that it will be a BlackBerry 10 device.

Posted via CB10
    mathking606 likes this.
    12-29-13 11:16 AM
328 123 ...