I like the BlackBerry Z3. It's going to be more or less the same size and price as the Nokia XL, just with a better specsheet. So, my question is; how durable will the Z3 be?

• Nokia devices are quite durable, at least the lower end devices, so the XL should be too;
    • The similar priced Moto G seems quite durable especially with its water resistant nano coating;
    • The Z3 has some sharp corners, what happens when it falls on one of those corners?

The majority of people that will buy the Z3 won't be able to afford anything else, so if it falls apart after one drop, they won't be able to afford a new device and more importantly will opt for a different brand when they eventually upgrade to a new device.
    03-06-14 03:41 AM
    Good question. Unfortunately we won't know for sure until a credible source gets one for review...
    Intense Soul likes this.
    03-06-14 06:31 AM
    How exactly are we supposed to know this?
    03-06-14 12:20 PM
    How exactly are we supposed to know this?
    I created the thread for a reason. Beta testers should start getting devices later this month, maybe one of them will be kind enough to see what we actually want to know in the thread and others.
    03-06-14 01:23 PM
    I created the thread for a reason. Beta testers should start getting devices later this month, maybe one of them will be kind enough to see what we actually want to know in the thread and others.
    Assuming they aren't under any sort of NDA.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-14 05:10 PM
    I would hope that they are as durable as current blackberries. But I highly doubt it.

It's a different manufacturer and they may not put as much time and effort into the design.

Nokias are super durable, always have been. The new material, is about the same stuff that's used for hockey helmets. And their manufacturing process makes it an even better material than metal. Better reception, lighter, stronger, and better able to absorb impact.

The current blackberries are pretty damn durable too, maybe not up to Nokia level, but they are the best for that.

All that is excepting the screen, which no matter what phone you have, if it hits the screen, it will pretty much shatter, not assuming a lot of luck.

Via Z30 10.3.0.1337
    03-06-14 05:28 PM
    Oh that makes sense then.
    03-06-14 05:37 PM
    The current blackberries are pretty damn durable too, maybe not up to Nokia level, but they are the best for that.

All that is excepting the screen, which no matter what phone you have, if it hits the screen, it will pretty much shatter, not assuming a lot of luck.
    I completely agree. My employer's husband is in construction; his Z10 has had three screen replacements and has dropped off buildings, into toilets, baths, pools and more and it still works great, bit chipped/scratched though.
    03-07-14 12:30 PM
    I completely agree. My employer's husband is in construction; his Z10 has had three screen replacements and has dropped off buildings, into toilets, baths, pools and more and it still works great, bit chipped/scratched though.
    Otterbox? Or naked?

iPhone for me? Scr... ahem Q that! (posted from the latter)
    03-07-14 03:31 PM
    Otterbox? Or naked?
    Completely nude
    03-08-14 09:11 AM
    +Vouched. Mine took a swim in the Porcelain Pool and survived. Took a few days of drying but works fine.

Posted Via my second Z10
    D_Gui likes this.
    03-09-14 08:42 PM
    +Vouched. Mine took a swim in the Porcelain Pool and survived. Took a few days of drying but works fine.
    I suppose the fact that its battery can be removed plays a big part in its durability against the elements, easier to dry that way...
    03-10-14 12:56 AM
    I suppose the fact that its battery can be removed plays a big part in its durability against the elements, easier to dry that way...
    And no electric current working on it while it's wet. Metals can corrode through ionizing, if you apply a current.

iPhone, no battery pull. I couldn't handle that. Still the one little doubt I have about the Z30.

"No Q10?" -> "Buy from Chen... "
    D_Gui likes this.
    03-10-14 03:42 AM
    Don't get your hopes up lol

Posted via CB10
    03-18-14 11:00 AM
    Ya, I don't think we will know until people have it in their hands. I have a simple philosophy about the quality of electronic devices....light weight electronics means crappy components, heavy devices means solid components. it's a waiting game until I get one in my hands.

Sent from my Z30 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    03-29-14 08:09 PM
    Some of the Nokias have pretty sharp corners, too.

I don't think it's gonna be a huge issue....

Zzzzwiped from a Zedevice....
    04-04-14 08:46 AM
    Ya, I don't think we will know until people have it in their hands. I have a simple philosophy about the quality of electronic devices....light weight electronics means crappy components, heavy devices means solid components. it's a waiting game until I get one in my hands.

Sent from my Z30 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Yeah, but a heavy device has a bigger moment of inertia between one end and another, so that when it falls on one end, it will result in much more strain along the body. If it's heavy enough... the strain could (usually does) exceed the material flexibility limits and crack. A light device, on the other hand, is probably more flexible and has to deal with less internal strain when it does impact on one end.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 08:58 AM
    I really hope it is, but the size of the surrounding bezel doesn't give me much hope. It might be as bad as the z30 in terms of screen cracking.
    04-06-14 03:52 PM