As I previously mentioned above, the whole Android app thing is another issue specific to BB10 - which is the only common smartphone platform today which includes 2 completely different OS environments out of the box, one of which is not particularly well controlled/monitored.

Luckily, the 10.2 OS update that we should see in the next couple of months is going to come with an application/data monitoring tool, which will be very helpful.

In the meantime you can try an Android task manager like Task Manager from amitghosh, available in BBW, to see what Android processes are running in the background. (Though it appears to vacillate between only being able to see its own process, and being able to see other Android processes. Haven't figured out what causes it to do what when.) (UPDATE: looks like you already have advanced task killer, it most likely works similiarly)

I traced down the culprit to one of my data issue to a HD movie that required both data and wifi to download. What happened was I started to download the movie and forgot about it. I went outside with my phone and the download paused. But while it was paused I was walking by a lot of shops that offered free wifi, and it would start the download over and over.

That doesn't make a lot of sense because BB10 will not just connect to any old open hotspot you happen to walk by, unless you have already configured that specific SSID as "Saved". That would be an extremely bad OS design choice, for security reasons.

Can anyone recommend an excellent data monitoring app? I assume cos no headless it always has to stay open?

I have also heard good things about that app - ETwoLtech's Data Monitor for BlackBerry 10.
    08-10-13 08:00 PM
    lucky for me i forsaw this of not using the compression and new things upgraded my plan to 6gb 6 months before BB10 came out due to a crazy insane deal my carrier had last month i chewed out 3gtb... im half way into this month and used 2.4gb so not sure what i been upto but i gotta watch my limit.
    08-10-13 08:01 PM
    lucky for me i forsaw this of not using the compression and new things upgraded my plan to 6gb 6 months before BB10 came out due to a crazy insane deal my carrier had last month i chewed out 3gtb... im half way into this month and used 2.4gb so not sure what i been upto but i gotta watch my limit.

Be careful with certain app installs as well. BeWeather 10 Pro, for example, is now up to about a 60MB download. And that's for every update too. Some games and maps apps are way higher than that - the maps data for one locale for Mireo's "Don't Panic" offline mapping app are over 1GB.
    08-10-13 08:17 PM
    Just use wifi is all I do lol only use my data when on bus or summit other than that if I'm out I will not be using my phone for anything

Posted via CB10
    I agree...wifi when possible...that's what I do
    08-10-13 09:08 PM
    As I previously mentioned above, the whole Android app thing is another issue specific to BB10 - which is the only common smartphone platform today which includes 2 completely different OS environments out of the box, one of which is not particularly well controlled/monitored.

Luckily, the 10.2 OS update that we should see in the next couple of months is going to come with an application/data monitoring tool, which will be very helpful.

In the meantime you can try an Android task manager like Task Manager from amitghosh, available in BBW, to see what Android processes are running in the background. (Though it appears to vacillate between only being able to see its own process, and being able to see other Android processes. Haven't figured out what causes it to do what when.) (UPDATE: looks like you already have advanced task killer, it most likely works similiarly)

That doesn't make a lot of sense because BB10 will not just connect to any old open hotspot you happen to walk by, unless you have already configured that specific SSID as "Saved". That would be an extremely bad OS design choice, for security reasons.

I have also heard good things about that app - ETwoLtech's Data Monitor for BlackBerry 10.
    That is exactly what I did...I saved 5 places on a street close to home which have a lot of coffee shops, library where I read and a McDonald's. I often am on that street to relax with friends and family. You can basically walk the street without ever having to use you data plan. I since have changed it to prompt me for use, because I drive this street everyday as well.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 09:43 PM
    I agree...wifi when possible...that's what I do

Another thing to be careful about: if the wifi signal degrades to the point of unusability or disappears entirely, the device WILL switch back to carrier data, by default.

This happens in my house when I walk a few rooms away from the main 5Ghz signal I use. (2.4Ghz is so congested here that 5Ghz is the only way to get a stable link. But 5Ghz doesn't travel as well through walls as 2.4Ghz does.)
    08-10-13 09:45 PM
    Only Android apps are Instagram, Facebook Messenger, Skype, Voxer, Cam scanner

All killed using Advanced Task Killer when not being used.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 09:48 PM
    That is exactly what I did...I saved 5 places on a street close to home which have a lot of coffee shops, library where I read and a McDonald's. I often am on that street to relax with friends and family. You can basically walk the street without ever having to use you data plan. I since have changed it to prompt me for use, because I drive this street everyday as well.

That's a good idea, for security reasons as well as others. Unsecured hotspots give rise to exploits like FireSheep and so on, and if you're going to use them, it helps at least a little to not connect to them randomly whenever you're nearby.
    08-10-13 09:49 PM
    I go through about 6gb of data monthly mostly YouTube and sometimes when I thought I was on wifi but wasn't.

The z10 has a no worse or better data consumption than any other phone. I'm not defending it but I have used a s3 and iPhone 5 and equally used data.

Check to see if you have some storage app like drop box or box backing up photos, I had that happen once now I'm always logged out.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 10:13 PM
    Turn off the diagnostics and usage in the security and privacy settings and see if that helps.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 10:17 PM
    it doesn't.

Turn off the diagnostics and usage in the security and privacy settings and see if that helps.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 10:20 PM
    Just use wifi is all I do lol only use my data when on bus or summit other than that if I'm out I will not be using my phone for anything

Posted via CB10

then what is the purpose of having a phone ??? its just crazy shouldnt hae to restrict yourself soo much
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    08-10-13 11:06 PM
    then what is the purpose of having a phone ??? its just crazy shouldnt hae to restrict yourself soo much
    If you want to pay for a ton of data go ahead. I have 2gb and rarely hit half that with my Z10. I don't know what you're all doing...

Posted via CB10
    08-11-13 02:39 AM
    Ive been chewing through 100MB in 24 hours. Just blew through 600 MB since Tuesday and 450

No streaming/downloading/adobe Flash and only offline map usage and normal app usage

What in the heck. How do I monitor my data usage?

Posted via CB10
    Get Fire Chest Usage. It's a free app in BB World.
    01-24-14 02:08 PM
64 123