If on att dial *data#. It will text you your data usage.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 05:05 PM
    Shouldn't be more or less than any other smartphones out there.

But if you do compare it to BB7 it's much more. Due to different technologies used.

Try to sync email only through wifi.
    08-09-13 05:20 PM
    That's one drawback of having no data compression. Also if you are using activesync for emails then its gonna download all emails with attachments.
    I use active sync for all my emails and it doesn't download anything unless you tell it too. Only small attachment would be downloaded automatically

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 05:31 PM
    My usage is obviously more than with my 9900 (about twice)... but I load full webpages much more often with the Z10. why? CAUSE I CAN!

Don't forget that full webpages are very data hungry

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 05:38 PM
    Can other people please log into their web account to see if they get blocks of 18.5 mb data usage for comparison? I'm on Telus and I check using this website...
    https://mobility.telus.com/youraccount
    08-09-13 06:22 PM
    I traced down the culprit to one of my data issue to a HD movie that required both data and wifi to download. What happened was I started to download the movie and forgot about it. I went outside with my phone and the download paused. But while it was paused I was walking by a lot of shops that offered free wifi, and it would start the download over and over.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 06:35 PM
    This is the same OP that has 8 apps open and phone gets laggy. Sounds like a heavy user who doesn't know how to control his data habits. I'm thinking this is a non issue.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 06:39 PM
    Can other people please log into their web account to see if they get blocks of 18.5 mb data usage for comparison? I'm on Telus and I check using this website...
    https://mobility.telus.com/youraccount
    This has also happened to me the second month I had the phone. The same amount your explained above. It was very weird. I also contacted a Telus rep and he also thought it strange. So we monitored the usage over the next month. He told me to not worry about the overage fee and we tried to track it down but came up empty. I also explained to him that I do not use my phone at these times so if I ever get this strange chunks of dow loading, I would not pay the fee.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 06:40 PM
    They must know this is happening with other people with z10's, because I had a ticket opened with them. Ask him if they ever heard of it.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 06:42 PM
    This is the same OP that has 8 apps open and phone gets laggy. Sounds like a heavy user who doesn't know how to control his data habits. I'm thinking this is a non issue.

Posted via CB10
    And no...he's using his data fine. this happened to me as well. Telus network in Toronto and the exact same amount for me as well and they couldn't explain it. And no I don't know the OP

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 06:45 PM
    Make sure sure you close apps that you don't need, because these take a lot of battery and usage

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 06:48 PM
    How do I set android app permissions on Z10STL100-2/10.2.0.1047

Posted via CB10

Settings > Security and Privacy > Application Permissions > choose the app!
    08-09-13 06:53 PM
    Can anyone recommend an excellent data monitoring app? I assume cos no headless it always has to stay open?

Posted via CB10
    Check here...Data Monitor for BlackBerry 10 will give you some peace of mind | CrackBerry.com

This app will have to be kept open as an active frame until headless API's are introduced.
    08-09-13 06:57 PM
    I have a couple of these on my phone as well for piece of mind. I also updated my OS to 10.2.1047 which has an app manager built in which is extremely helpful in knowing what's killing battery juice. Here are a few apps I suggest you download as well (battery guru, task manager, data usage counter for BlackBerry). If you like leaked OS, I highly recommend 10.21047....its awesome.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 07:11 PM
    The sideloaded apps aren't listed there.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 07:18 PM
    I found my problem was Evernote setup and showing in the Remember app. There was some note causing a problem and it was literally using several GB a *day*... since I removed it I've never had any issues and love my Z10.
    08-09-13 07:58 PM
    Interesting... from today...
    5:32:23 PM 18.39 MB Data Usage $0.92
    4:33:08 PM 19.30 MB Data Usage $0.96

4:33 is when I left the office wifi and got in my car to go home.
    5:32 is approx. when I was at a music store picking up some stuff my band needed for a gig tomorrow. I did NOT use my phone data during these times.
    08-09-13 09:50 PM
    as i've posted in another thread(s), my phone is sending data pretty much every hour on the hour. i'm with koodo... i only have 200mb a month and i've already hit 75%. this is my first blackberry device, i was using android before, so no experience with BIS compression etc. etc. etc. and i'm doing less with it than i used to do on my android phone.
    08-10-13 01:06 AM
    as i've posted in another thread(s), my phone is sending data pretty much on the hour. i'm with koodo... i only have 200mb a month and i've already hit 75%. this is my first blackberry device, i was using android before, so no experience with BIS compression etc. etc. etc. and i'm doing less with it than i used to do on my android phone.
    BIS is no longer being used for bb10 devices. I would recommend raising your data plan if it's within your budget. The first month or so I used more then my 1gb per month but realized my settings were wrong on my podcast app. Since changing the settings and using the data monitor app I was doing just fine. Now it doesn't matter because I got 5 more gb's per month more for only $10 a month so I jumped all over that. I am a heavy user now with YouTube vids and also download podcasts will on the road instead of just when on wifi and I haven't reached 3 gb of use in a month yet.

BlackBerry for life. Kick'n it with my Z10.
    08-10-13 01:13 AM
    That's one drawback of having no data compression. Also if you are using activesync for emails then its gonna download all emails with attachments.
    Not exactly so...you have the option available to auto-download the attachment or not. I use less than 600 MB / month and I get a few hundred e-mails /day...many with attachments,
    08-10-13 01:47 AM
    Ive been chewing through 100MB in 24 hours. Just blew through 600 MB since Tuesday and 450
    Posted via CB10
    I am on a 5 GB data plan with a one-year free BBM subscription. Apparently my wireless carrier cannot differentiate between BBM traffic and regular data traffic so I have unlimited data for the year. I stream Internet radio for hours every day and my monthly invoice remains unaffected. My professional email account uses Microsoft ActiveSync and regularly receive attachments.

There are a few data monitoring applications available in BlackBerry World.
    08-10-13 02:50 AM
    Almost 100% chance you will not be able to adjust these. Especially if it is a side load.

STL-3 Z10 | Rogers | 10.2.0.1047
    08-10-13 08:28 AM
    i just meant me seeing more data usage isn't a result of me using BIS in the past.

BIS is no longer being used for bb10 devices. I would recommend raising your data plan if it's within your budget. The first month or so I used more then my 1gb per month but realized my settings were wrong on my podcast app. Since changing the settings and using the data monitor app I was doing just fine. Now it doesn't matter because I got 5 more gb's per month more for only $10 a month so I jumped all over that. I am a heavy user now with YouTube vids and also download podcasts will on the road instead of just when on wifi and I haven't reached 3 gb of use in a month yet.

BlackBerry for life. Kick'n it with my Z10.
    08-10-13 10:49 AM
    Its the way business works: we want faster phones with 4G/LTE cause we want to update our facebook-status in realtime- otherwise we would die and will lose around 450 (of only 2870) friends... The carrier invest a lot of money in broadcasting towers and cause charity isnt their job they want to earn money with our affinity to speed... It was one of the requirements BlackBerry has to fulfill to get the support and distribution of the carrier.... They HATE data-compression! ;-)
    08-10-13 04:17 PM
    Ive been chewing through 100MB in 24 hours. Just blew through 600 MB since Tuesday and 450

No streaming/downloading/adobe Flash and only offline map usage and normal app usage

1. I don't experience this, nor do I think it's particularly commonplace.
    2. "normal app usage" does not included sideloaded apps. There's a reason that you have to enable a special "development mode" to sideload an app. It's not designed for regular users.

Bear in mind that Android apps - whether sideloaded or just ported Android apps available through BlackBerry World - have the ability to run in the background, which native BB10 apps have never had the ability to do, and one of the reasons for that is because they can silently abuse your data plan. (In theory BlackBerry will catch this sort of thing prior to approving an app to be made available in BlackBerry World, but they may not catch all of them, and they certainly aren't going to have any control over your sideloaded apps.)

The first thing you need to do is list ALL of the apps you use, including the sideloaded ones, so people can give you some input on potential culprits.

That's one drawback of having no data compression.

No it is not. Data compression is not magic. Specifically, you CANNOT compress most of the filetypes that are responsible for the bulk of email message size these days, ie JPEG files or ZIP files or most EXE files. The only way you can significantly "compress" a JPEG file is by drastically reducing the image quality. That's not compression, that's degrading the original. (ie this is one of the things Opera Mini does to improve web browsing performance on weak mobile devices: replaces the original high-quality webpage images with fuzzy substitutes that are smaller and easier to download. Once again, that is not "data compression", it is "image shrinking/degrading".)

The MAIN reason people use more data on modern devices like BB10 is because it is so much easier to do things that use lots of data. Trying to surf a site like Flickr for an hour on an old legacy BBOS device was downright painful. Since that's no longer the case, people do that kind of thing a lot more with BB10 devices. As another example, legacy BBOS devices had severe limits on the size of email attachments they could send/receive. Those limits are removed in BB10. Ergo, people send/receive larger messages...
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    08-10-13 07:45 PM
64 123