04-17-13 10:49 AM
48 12
tools
    Hello everyone! I am currently on the fence about getting the Z10 and hoping some of you might be able to give advice.

I just received the email from Verizon stating that the Z10 is available for pre-order now (here in the U.S finally). Originally, I thought I would order BB10 as soon as it became available, but now I am having some doubts due to what I've read about the data usage.

Right now, I have a Torch 9850 which is less than a year old and it does everything I need it to do. With this phone, I only use about 30-50MB out of the 300MB per month plan I have. Since BB10 will not use the BES servers, I have read that the Z10 is gonna use massive data compared to what I am using now.....some of you were saying it drained 2-3GB within a few hours even on WiFi!??

Anyway, it would cost me an extra $30 per month to upgrade to a 5GB data plan on Verizon. It could cost $40-50 more per month if I need more than 5GB data per month with the Z10. First of all, am I right about how much more data this phone will use? If yes, then what reason is there to upgrade from the Torch? Just to hand a ton more money to Verizon?
    03-14-13 10:58 AM
    Switch to T-Mobile who has unlimited data.
    03-14-13 11:04 AM
    Switch to T-Mobile who has unlimited data.
    If only it was that easy .... I am under contract with Verizon until 2014.
    03-14-13 11:06 AM
    Do not take what I say "to church" as I am in a peculiar situation and still need some answers from my carrier (billing cycle on the 19th of March) and also am not in the US, so this could differentiate things quite a bit.

The first thing is that BES is still supported. What will most probably NOT be supported is BIS. Either way, the phone does no longer compress data in the way the OS7 does through BIS. (I guess you refer to BIS).

before the z10 I was on a BBOS6 Torch 9800 with "unlimited data" (1GB fair use). I am really heavy user in terms of mails and data and my max data usage in a month for the past approx 4 years (my bold 9000 included) was 600-650mb.

In my case I have serious doubts a 5GB plan will cover it if I do not slow things down somehow but for you using only 30-50MB/ month on BIS I think that it would definitely cover you to have 5G. The problem is that since the Z10 has amazing browser and much of the features use data (eg voice command), it really provokes you on using it

Thereof, the issue is that you will be inclined to use the phone more and do more stuff that use up data than what you did before, so your data use will increase as a result. But I believe that if you stick to your old usage (doing the same things as on your Torch) then your 5GB plan will leave you with way too much data to do even more things, so you would not really get in for a surprise (if you think the 30$ more worth it that is).

As per the extreme data usages mentioned in the forums I mostly am inclined to believe that these are exceptional cases that something specific is wrong, either with the specific handsets, or with apps or carrier configuration, as this is not a widespread phenomenon by no way.

Expect an increase on data usage for sure but be certain it worths it and with the few details you provide, my estimate is that 5GB will more than just cover you with the z10, you ll get more data and better quality on the extra spent imo.

As I said, better for people from Canada or US that already use the phone on Verizon to tell you though.

hope this gave some preliminary help
    all the best!
    03-14-13 11:23 AM
    It all depends what you use your phone for. I browse constantly and last month I used about 1.5gb, but I have wifi on at home all the time. If you just use your phone to message, not worth it. But if you use it for other things, I think it is. And since I got my Z10 I have been using it for a lot more than I did on my 9800. Paying that much got data sucks, but for me it's worth it.
    currentodysseys likes this.
    03-14-13 11:29 AM
    First and foremost. Unless there's a problem any data used while on WiFi does not count towards your mobile plan.

Secondly yes the Z10 uses more data then previous devices. It is now more on par with other smartphone providers. So to say it's excessive is not a fair comparison.

On legacy BlackBerry devices more data was compressed and routed through BlackBerry infrastructure. Hence much lower data consumption.

Using WiFi when available is just good habit.

Posted via CB10
    EsJayDee, jerryeight and shads77 like this.
    03-14-13 11:35 AM
    As some have indicated, it depends on what you are using it for. I use the Z on wifi when home, especially for streaming, and in public places with accessability. When I switched, I was worried about data usage as well (I had 500MB for my 9810) but so far, and with fair use during the day sometimes, I have used less than 150MB half way into my billing cycle.

Some ISPs allow you to do an online check to determine the data plan required based on projected usage. Mine said 500MB was enough, for now anyways (I can get an extra 500MB for $5). Maybe you could find out if yours have something similar?
    Last edited by KemKev; 03-14-13 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Clarity
    hibackhand likes this.
    03-14-13 11:40 AM
    I'm on Rogers and I have a 6GB data plan, and I went through 4.9gb of data, but that's because I was pushing the limits. Box and Dropbox syncing without being on wifi and a whole lot more.

I would recommend at least 1gb to be safe, and then drop down after if you can. Unfortunately, gone are the days of BIS and data compression.
    hibackhand likes this.
    03-14-13 11:47 AM
    I thought I'd use lots with my Z10 compared to my 9900. I have unlimited data for the first three months of my contract so have used my phone without thinking about data.

I received an sms today..."You're half way through your Data Test Drive. Last month you used 510MB internet compared to your 1024MB plan. So why not try using your phone's internet connection to get online on your laptop or tablet?"

It seems pretty good to me but I am around Wifi often.
    03-14-13 11:54 AM
    I had a 9860 before my Z10 so I can probably do a direct comparison for you.

Before the Z10 I was using about 100 MB per month....going to wifi when possible.

After the Z10, I am using about 400MB per month ... going with wifi when possible. I am sure some of that usage is app downloads and I have dropbox which I didn't have on my 9860.

If you have regular wifi service, the Z10 is great for finding any saved wifi networks and signing you on seamlessly.
    03-14-13 12:01 PM
    I had a 500mb plan with my 9700 and rarely went over 50-80mb. I upped it to 1g and used just over half my first month. I attribute that to just fartin around more than I normally would since it's a new phone. If you're not streaming and downloading away from wifi, and it seems you're not based on your current usage, 1g should be fine.
    hibackhand likes this.
    03-14-13 12:07 PM
    Unless you plan on sticking with your Torch forever, any smartphone you migrate to will have an increase in data usage over the BBOS platform, Z10 being just the same as iPhone and Android in that regard. And no, you will not burn through your data plan when connected to WiFi.
    03-14-13 12:13 PM
    I am not sure where your getting this "data drain" information from. Most people who complain data drain are the one who are moving from legacy BB devices or just setup their Z10 incorrectly. I have my Z10 for a month and have only used 400 MB (on my data network).
    03-14-13 12:15 PM
    I am in Canada and on my Torch 9810 I would use around 100mb per month and now on the Z10 I use about 400-500mb. I am also using the browser and apps more than I did because this phone is awesome! So if you are using about 30-40mb per month you should be safe with a 1gb plan. Just stay on wifi as much as you can.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 12:34 PM
    I get 1gb of data allowed with my carrier (O2) in the UK. So far this month I have only used 33% of this allowance, with 6 days left until it renews again, so to be honest it is only slightly higher than the data usage on my old Torch 9800, so not quite sure where people say their data usage has gone through the roof on their Z10's.

Posted via CB10 via my awesome Z10
    03-14-13 12:45 PM
    Can you point to information about this drain? Sure the z10 uses more than their bbos counterparts,..but no more than iOS and Android...

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 12:48 PM
    Okay wow, I appreciate all these replies! Perhaps the people who complained about losing 3-5GB in a few hours were not really on WiFi or were doing some heavy downloading. Also, yes I meant to say "BIS" in my original post, instead of "BES". I realize that since the old BB OS is phasing out, I'll have no choice but to eventually move forward without that old BB compression. I may wait just a little while longer to see how U.S. users experience the data difference. It seems like I might be okay though... I guess I could always just save my Torch and downgrade back to it if I have any data issues with the Z10.
    03-14-13 12:48 PM
    My data usage seems to have slowed down...

Having said that, 1GB should be enough without any video streaming. It does need more data, though it is not entirely clear how much really.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 12:50 PM
    I have a 500 MB plan and yes my usage has gone up but it's still not at 500 MB. Granted I'm on wifi most of the day and even ever I look at photos on the Internet or what not. I still check twitter and the news on the go quite often

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 01:10 PM
    With my 9900 I used to use on average between 450-700 MB data. In the first month with my Z10 I used 1.3 GB of data, a lot of the is because of some of the apps used and I used BBM video quite a bit. One BBM video call was about 160 MB. So its not to bad, but with my 9900 i used to use Traffic twice a day for the week and now I don't use GPS as traffic data is not up to par.
    03-14-13 01:11 PM
    I just spoke (again) with a Vodafone GR representative. He told me that bis is now optional but those who have it will still have compression and encryption with z10. Is this true? I am so confused....:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghea d::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghea d::banghead::banghead:
    03-14-13 01:12 PM
    Hello everyone! I am currently on the fence about getting the Z10 and hoping some of you might be able to give advice.

I just received the email from Verizon stating that the Z10 is available for pre-order now (here in the U.S finally). Originally, I thought I would order BB10 as soon as it became available, but now I am having some doubts due to what I've read about the data usage.

Right now, I have a Torch 9850 which is less than a year old and it does everything I need it to do. With this phone, I only use about 30-50MB out of the 300MB per month plan I have. Since BB10 will not use the BES servers, I have read that the Z10 is gonna use massive data compared to what I am using now.....some of you were saying it drained 2-3GB within a few hours even on WiFi!??

Anyway, it would cost me an extra $30 per month to upgrade to a 5GB data plan on Verizon. It could cost $40-50 more per month if I need more than 5GB data per month with the Z10. First of all, am I right about how much more data this phone will use? If yes, then what reason is there to upgrade from the Torch? Just to hand a ton more money to Verizon?
    After a month, with wifi/data on all the time, I have used maybe 300mb of a gig plan.
    03-14-13 01:14 PM
    Hmm. I've also been wondering this. But I'm waiting for the Q10. And I'm on Sprint. So I obviously have time to figure out if I'm staying with them or moving to another carrier. Also I was told that Sprint will have its 4G LTE network up and running in my area starting in May and to be completed by the end of July. Something to think about. But the biggest reason for me to wait it out and stay with Sprint is my unlimited everything plan. I currently have a 9670 and have my Playbook tethered and I average 2G a month now. My highest month was just under 4G. And that's without being able to watch any video downloads or streaming. And I know once I get 4G LTE I'm going to be watching videos and MLB updates and so forth. So I'm also curious to hear how others are doing with their data usage.
    03-14-13 01:22 PM
    The simple answer is YES!
    shads77 likes this.
    03-14-13 02:27 PM
    Okay wow, I appreciate all these replies! Perhaps the people who complained about losing 3-5GB in a few hours were not really on WiFi or were doing some heavy downloading.
    It is a charming anecdote, but please post a link to all the people that this happened to. I have been on this board long enough and haven't seen a single instance of this.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 02:51 PM
48 12