It is a charming anecdote, but please post a link to all the people that this happened to. I have been on this board long enough and haven't seen a single instance of this.

Posted via CB10
    Quite a few people have complained about this happening to them overnight, actually. I was just reading a thread about it in the BB10 OS forum a few days ago.

To the OP - what data drain? I've had my phone since Feb 7th and have used a grand total 150 mb on it in about 6.5 weeks.

You just have to be smart with WIFI.

-Chris-
    jerryeight likes this.
    03-14-13 03:10 PM
    Not to bash others. But the only article I've seen about a smart phone killing the network data cap while connected to WiFi was the iPhone.

There was a writeup that although it indicated connected to WiFi it was actually using network. People blew through their caps. Carriers had to provide credit and Apple had to come up with an update to fix it.

This post wasn't to hate on, just that it's the only time I've heard of that.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 04:00 PM
    I just spoke (again) with a Vodafone GR representative. He told me that bis is now optional but those who have it will still have compression and encryption with z10. Is this true? I am so confused....:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghea d::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghea d::banghead::banghead:
    The rep doesn't know what they are talking about. BlackBerry data services have to be assigned to the device in order to use BlackBerry applications such as BBM and BlackBerry Protect. This stuff will still be encrypted and compressed going through the BlackBerry infrastructure.

BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) is used to manage email on pre BB10 devices. On a BlackBerry 10 device, the email is managed by the device itself.

Hope this clears some confusion up.

Posted via CB10
    currentodysseys and akavbb like this.
    03-14-13 04:04 PM
    Quite a few people have complained about this happening to them overnight, actually. I was just reading a thread about it in the BB10 OS forum a few days ago.
    That isn't 5gb in a few hours....I think the OP is blatantly exaggerating the claim, so i would like some examples...

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 04:08 PM
    Not to bash others. But the only article I've seen about a smart phone killing the network data cap while connected to WiFi was the iPhone.
    Posted via CB10
    The iPhone thing was iOS6 related and it would connect to the users' mobility network when they thought they were using WIFI. As I recall it was related to iTunes Match... Definitely a bug, a very serious one that caused a significant amount of grief to a lot of iPhone users.

There have been posts about a sudden data usage spike on the Z10, but it doesn't seem to be a common issue. One user I believe linked it to one or more Android ports on the phone. Sorry, can't remember the thread or I'd give you a link.
    03-14-13 04:11 PM
    I just spoke (again) with a Vodafone GR representative. He told me that bis is now optional but those who have it will still have compression and encryption with z10. Is this true? I am so confused....:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghea d::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghea d::banghead::banghead:
    Just wait till they launch in April. Wind was not sure either, but obviously there is no compression. They had to optionally give me bis 1gb and 1.5gb on normal data till they figure it out. I am almost 100% that at the end it will be normal data plan with bis subscription only for BBM for no bea users.

Posted via CB10
    akavbb likes this.
    03-14-13 10:19 PM
    I used 600MB last month (18 days with the Z10) and this month I'm at 225MB with 2 weeks left in my billing cycle. This month I have 4 days where I went over 6MB/day. One day I was using the hotspot, another day just browsing CB in a restaurant --total usage 40 MB (can't remember how long I was browsing). The remaining 2 days I had single "hours" when I used 57MB and 78MB. Both times I was in a wifi zone but had stopped the wifi temporarily to do an LTE speedtest at speedtest.net on my browser. Wow, that site is a data HOG. Anyway, I'll stop checking my speed from now on

BTW if you are curious, my LTE speeds were 23.35 Mbs download, 12.37 Mbs upload for the first large data usage (57MB); and 59.07 Mbs download, 12.7Mbs upload for the second data usage (78MB).

Edit -- I'm with Telus, in Vancouver.
    03-14-13 11:10 PM
    I don't see excessive data usage; no difference from the amount of data I have been using on all my other BBs. If you start to change your own usage pattern, then of course you will incur more. Like watching YouTube on the go, opening photo attachments, file attachments or downloading loads and loads of app via cellular instead of waiting till you have WIFI. I have my Z10 for about a week now (very diligent to make sure I download apps only when I have WIFI) and my data usage is only 176 MB. So in a month, I may not even cross 1 GB.
    03-14-13 11:15 PM
    In a month I only used like 400 out of 2gb, always lte and wifi when home

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 11:21 PM
    Newby question here, but this seems to be the correct thread to ask it...

Does the device automatically default to use the wifi connection for data if it is present? Or will the radio network connection be used for data if the network connection is present?

How about if the wifi connection is present but weak, then what?

Or is all this carrier dependent?

I'm on Bell in Vancouver.
    03-15-13 12:48 AM
    If the WiFi network has been setup. Whenever in range of the WiFi it will default to it.

Posted via CB10
    DAY1000 likes this.
    03-15-13 06:40 AM
    Just wait till they launch in April. Wind was not sure either, but obviously there is no compression. They had to optionally give me bis 1gb and 1.5gb on normal data till they figure it out. I am almost 100% that at the end it will be normal data plan with bis subscription only for BBM for no bea users.

Posted via CB10
    you got both bis and a normal data plan?
    03-17-13 03:32 AM
    If you only use up to 50mb right now, a 500mb plan would suit you.
    03-17-13 03:44 AM
    you got both bis and a normal data plan?
    Hey enabled both until they know how this will work once they launch. This was a very kind offering in order to resolve the issues that came out of a misunderstanding upon my asking before I ordered the phone.

Does not mean that it will work like this after implementation of the service for bb10 devices. Once they launch and have clear the setup followed they will adjust my data plan bis accordingly.

Posted via CB10
    akavbb likes this.
    03-17-13 11:08 PM
    PPL smoking crack really, the z10 uses around same amount any other smartphone uses.

So if u not like, u not buy.

Simple eh?

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    03-17-13 11:33 PM
    It's well within the range all smartphones use. yes previous BBRY's used less but that was on BIS. The new Z10 uses a few times more than what previous legacy OS uses. If you had 1GB plan previously and that sufficed, 2GB should be safe! (using wifi when available)
    03-18-13 12:27 AM
    BlackBerry 10 Data Leak Issue and Why AT&T Should Reconsider its Restocking Fee �Policy� | ByteNow

Do not buy a blackberry until this is fixed. I am personally returning mine if the issue is not fixed. Over the period of an hour my z10 had sent over 2GB of data over the network eating up my data plan and battery. Read article from link above.
    04-16-13 01:27 PM
    I have a Zed with AT&T and I've haven't had this issue yet. Hmm..

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 01:33 PM
    This is not a BlackBerry Z10 issue, but a carrier app issue or an app users are using or the diagnostics is turned on.

BlackBerry needs to address that websites BS posting.
    04-16-13 01:43 PM
    Half way through my billing cycle on AT&T, I have used 98mb. Excess data consumption is most likely app related.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 02:00 PM
    I have had diagnosttics on - still have I think and cannot claims any such excessive data drain.

Do I use more data than with my Bold? Yes, possibly around 300MB per month more at most.
    Of course if I am careless and accidentally download an Osmand Map I can eat through a few hundred MB quickly... but else it is fine.

Does it use more data? Yes - does it drain data? Not unless the user (or carrier) makes it do so.
    04-16-13 02:30 PM
    BlackBerry 10 Data Leak Issue and Why AT&T Should Reconsider its Restocking Fee �Policy� | ByteNow

Do not buy a blackberry until this is fixed. I am personally returning mine if the issue is not fixed. Over the period of an hour my z10 had sent over 2GB of data over the network eating up my data plan and battery. Read article from link above.
    I can see how basing your decision on that much revered site, what with their huge library of articles (6) and staggering precision of facts such "as a bunch of folks over at the CrackBerry.com forums were going through the same thing. " and "I told her I was about the issues that I was having, mentioned that hundreds of others were having the issues ". Good decision. Smh

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 03:27 PM
    I have a z10 on the Verizon Network and I haven't noticed a drain at all on my data plan. I have been checking the usage several times a day over the last couple of weeks just to make sure.
    04-17-13 10:49 AM
48 12