Dang, you rimm freaks are like obots
    real thin skinned
    Your comment doesn't make sense. I guess pointing out the obvious is something you don't appreciate. Oh well, next.
    03-30-13 12:14 PM
    Dang, you rimm freaks are like obots
    real thin skinned
    Yes and you're just a jackass. The company is called BlackBerry. Even handicap people would consider your comment to be ********. You can't even get the name of the company right.
    03-30-13 12:16 PM
    Count wise, maybe, but that's about it. Many of the apps I listed in my OP have recently become available for WP8. Those are quality apps that people actually want, which's what I was referring to in terms of "app gap."
    WP8 was launched well before BB10. That product has really taken off, right? The problem with your op title is you seem to be suggesting the app gap is getting bigger. How is that possible when BlackBerry World added 30,000 apps in less than two months?
    03-30-13 12:23 PM
    I don't understand the rave about Skype. I always thought they should either fix the crappy quality or just cancel the whole idea. I don't understand why even news channels use that choppy video to begin with. Bbm video is so much better. Next how many "Adult " care about games on a phone really.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 12:26 PM
    Oh BTW, can the OP post figures to substantiate his statement of "Growing app Gap". People just write and post because they could as far as I'm concerned

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 12:28 PM
    Oh BTW, can the OP post figures to substantiate his statement of "Growing app Gap". People just write and post because they could as far as I'm concerned

Posted via CB10
    Skype's popularity has little do with its relative quality. BBRY understands this
    03-30-13 12:30 PM
    I understand that it is very popular but my question is why are we using something that is clearly inferior when we have something better in bbm video if we must see who we are talking to. Or even bbm voice if all we want is free or cheaper calls

Posted via CB10
    THBW likes this.
    03-30-13 12:55 PM
    An awful lot of people really couldn't care less about most or all of the apps you name. And BlackBerry has apps the competition doesn't. BlackBerry travel and BBM, for example. But way more importantly is BlackBerry's keyboard and hub. The keyboard is the primary interface with the device and BlackBerry s is far and away the best on the market. For people that rely on email (which describes pretty much everyone I know with a job) that alone makes BlackBerry the only real choice.

It may take a while for the market to fully realize this, but realize it they will.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 01:07 PM
    I understand that it is very popular but my question is why are we using something that is clearly inferior when we have something better in bbm video if we must see who we are talking to. Or even bbm voice if all we want is free or cheaper calls

Posted via CB10
    In regards to Skype, cheapness and cross platform capabilities are two features that have appeal to people. App quality is very poor and borders on dysfunctional. As to BBM, voice quality is excellent. I was impressed when I first used it as I was expecting the typical Skype nonsense. If BB could figure out a way of going cross platform and then provide the service at a reasonable price, Skype would be done.
    TrueKulcha likes this.
    03-30-13 01:16 PM
    For people that rely on email (which describes pretty much everyone I know with a job) that alone makes BlackBerry the only real choice.
    Yet I find the email experience on both my iOS email app of choice (mailbox) and Android (native GMail app) far superior to my Z10 email app.
    03-30-13 01:18 PM
    Yet I find the email experience on both my iOS email app of choice (mailbox) and Android (native GMail app) far superior to my Z10 email app.
    AHAHAHAHAHA. Okay there, buddy. I have both devices on both those platforms in addition to my Z10. I think most of us here do have at least one other platform, so the only person you're fooling is yourself. iOS isn't bad, but Android? I have to laugh everytime someone mentions that. Go get google to make a unified inbox then come here and talk. Having to go to different menus to access different account? What a joke.
    03-30-13 02:04 PM
    AHAHAHAHAHA. Okay there, buddy. I have both devices on both those platforms in addition to my Z10. I think most of us here do have at least one other platform, so the only person you're fooling is yourself. iOS isn't bad, but Android? I have to laugh everytime someone mentions that. Go get google to make a unified inbox then come here and talk. Having to go to different menus to access different account? What a joke.
    That isn't the only poster that has said the email experience on BB10 want preferred.

If the unified mailbox was that big of a feature... well...
    03-30-13 02:31 PM
    That isn't the only poster that has said the email experience on BB10 want preferred.

If the unified mailbox was that big of a feature... well...
    You want more similarities? Look at the device on your profile and the profile of that guy that just said he prefers the email experience on other platforms. You both list 8320. Maybe old school people just don't like new things?

By the way, did you know that more than 90% of Android devices don't have pinch to zoom in the mail client? It was only added with Jellybean (actually, I think it was added specifically with 4.2, not 4.1, but I can't remember). But why am I telling you this? You probably prefer not to have pinch to zoom as well...

Oh, and unified inbox is a HUGE feature. In fact, that's pretty much what the hub is...only it's not just for email specifically.
    03-30-13 02:44 PM
    You want more similarities? Look at the device on your profile and the profile of that guy that just said he prefers the email experience on other platforms. You both list 8320. Maybe old school people just don't like new things?

By the way, did you know that more than 90% of Android devices don't have pinch to zoom in the mail client? It was only added with Jellybean (actually, I think it was added specifically with 4.2, not 4.1, but I can't remember). But why am I telling you this? You probably prefer not to have pinch to zoom as well...

Oh, and unified inbox is a HUGE feature. In fact, that's pretty much what the hub is...only it's not just for email specifically.
    I'm definitely old school. No question there.

Well... I guess BBRY is set then. Nothing to worry about
    03-30-13 02:49 PM
    Um, ok, have you tried 'mailbox' on the iPhone?

The best pure GMail experience by far is the GMail client on Android. GMail on the Z10 simply can't compare at this time. It may be different in the future, but if GMail is your email of choice, its simply no contest.
    03-30-13 02:50 PM
    Um, ok, have you tried 'mailbox' on the iPhone?
    I said *Android* doesn't have a unified inbox, not iOS...

The best pure GMail experience by far is the GMail client on Android. GMail on the Z10 simply can't compare at this time. It may be different in the future, but if GMail is your email of choice, its simply no contest.
    This is definitely true, and is common sense. However, it isn't the case for all users. In fact, I'd wager that most users would be ok with how the Z10 handles gmail now. Why? Because Google is heavily pushing archiving instead of deleting on their own OS. I haven't deleted a single email in years on Gmail with my Android devices, so I'm fine with only having one option (delete or archive - archive by default) on the Z10. I'd love the ability to search my archived emails though, and that is only supported with Active Sync on the Z10, so my IMAP gmail account will not search old emails.
    03-30-13 02:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    With regards to mobile technology, availability trumps quality to a degree. I think BBM has phenomenal quality (from what I've seen). But it's a closed system.

I actually think adopting Skype helped with the propagation of Hangouts for Android. People were able to compare it with Skype on the same device, and folks appreciated the features on G+ (like multi video chat). A lot of people I know have switched.

I think Skype will help out BB10 in the same way when it comes.
    TrueKulcha likes this.
    03-30-13 02:59 PM
    Since I have an ipad4, nexus 7, droid inc 4g, and the z10, I have to call BS on this. I cant believe someone would say this. And, the worst by far is Android email. Absolutely crap.
    03-30-13 03:02 PM
    I said *Android* doesn't have a unified inbox, not iOS...

This is definitely true, and is common sense. However, it isn't the case for all users. In fact, I'd wager that most users would be ok with how the Z10 handles gmail now. Why? Because Google is heavily pushing archiving instead of deleting on their own OS. I haven't deleted a single email in years on Gmail with my Android devices, so I'm fine with only having one option (delete or archive - archive by default) on the Z10. I'd love the ability to search my archived emails though, and that is only supported with Active Sync on the Z10, so my IMAP gmail account will not search old emails.
    I agree on one latent point: different strokes for different folks.

I use Gmail for work, and personal (all 5). Gmail is the best handler for my needs. I can use a combined mailbox (I like it), but choose not too to enforce separation of home life. And I think archiving (plus IMAP) is the most intuitive way of managing email workflow.

But that's just me. I can adjust if need be.
    03-30-13 03:06 PM
    Since I have an ipad4, nexus 7, droid inc 4g, and the z10, I have to call BS on this. I cant believe someone would say this. And, the worst by far is Android email. Absolutely crap.
    But, judging from the LONG threads here talking about the deficiencies in BB10's email, one can easily assume Semi is not off base with his conclusion.

And a lot of those complaints are from BBRY loyalists.
    03-30-13 03:10 PM
    I don't think the App gap is a real concern and at the end of the day new apps are developed every single day and eventually its very possible that some awesome apps (the new skype or twitter) would be developed exclusively for BB10 that will never make it to IOS or android. What I want to know is that you have 60 + million IOS users jail breaking their phones because they are sick of apple. Can BB not get these jail broken apps on the BB10? I believe when a phone is jail broken that it now becomes open source like android ? I am not familiar with it as I hate apple LMAO
    03-30-13 03:14 PM
    Well put could not of said it better!!!
    03-30-13 03:15 PM
    BB will suffer from a negative outlook because of past sins...

I'm one of the people that think these so-called "sins" are massively overblown. Especially in the USA. There is something about the US populace and certain media talking-heads that has this bizarre deep-seated animosity for Blackberry that just doesn't make much rational sense.

Don't forget Instagram.... that is a big one that needs to be native.

You know what kills me about Instagram? Does anyone here know how long it's been since Android first got a native Instagram app? LESS THAN ONE YEAR.

That just illustrates, to me, the absolute fickleness of the smartphone marketplace. A product which has not even been available on the most popular smartphone platform in the world for one year so far, yet a brand-new platform that just came out less than TWO MONTHS ago is being proclaimed by some as an abject failure because it doesn't have that app yet.

Get lost please.

I would advise you to refrain from that sort of talk here. Otherwise you may well find yourself "banned for a reason".

I think we can remain civil even when we disagree vehemently with someone. Or else we run the risk of creating an adversarial environment that is unwelcoming to everyone.

With regards to this whole "app gap" suggestion - BB10 is adding apps in BB World far faster than Microsoft is adding apps in Windows Phone Store. BUT: there is lots of garbage in BBworld, and a significant lack of "high profile" apps. BB10 also has the very distinct advantage of being able to use either raw Android apps or trivially ported ones. This is a KEY reason why the apps are growing faster for BB10 than WP.

However I do think that we will see an acceleration in high profile apps for BB10 this year. All the developers need to see is some sort of momentum and they will start developing for it.
    anon(5639363) likes this.
    03-30-13 04:26 PM
    I really want this phone, but I am holding out until the apps are in place. I use Shazam daily now on my BB and love it. Skype is important too. I cant see spending my hard earned money on a phone that isn't ready for my needs yet. Hopefully soon, or if not the new Sony or S4 will be calling my name.
    03-30-13 04:41 PM
74 123