If you're like me and don't like plugging your phone into the computer all the time, enable wifi sharing on your Z10. My favourite setup is a mapped drive, which has proved handy on my playbook. Anytime I download a new movie, I just drag and drop to the mapped playbook. It doesn't matter where in the house it is or if the kids are using it. The only problem is that you will have to reserve an IP address on your router for the Z10.

Here's how on a PC:
    1 - Log in to your router and reserve an IP address. It's usually quite easy, just lock in whatever is currently assigned. Lets use 192.168.001.110 for this example.
    2 - On your Z10 turn 'Access to Wifi' On. You will have to create a 6 char password.
    3 - Right click on my computer and select map network drive. Assign a drive letter and type '\\192.168.001.010\media' select reconnect on startup and finish.
    4 - You will be prompted for a username, which by default is 'Blackberry' (found on Z10 in Indentification on Network). Then the password you created in step 2.
    5 - Done, your Z10 internal storage is now mapped.
    6 - Repeat 1-4 but map the path '\\192.168.001.010\removable_sdcard' in step 3. Your Z10 SD storage is now mapped.

Enjoy
    Last edited by Natedogg14; 02-20-13 at 11:13 PM. Reason: typos
    02-20-13 11:11 PM
    This is quite brilliant!

Thank you.
    Natedogg14 likes this.
    02-21-13 12:30 AM
    Thanks! So easy to set up, I don't know why more people don't do it. I use it ALL the time with my PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 07:20 AM
    I like watching my iphone friend fumble with iTunes. Shocked when he saw this feature.

Love it

Posted from my Z10
    02-21-13 09:13 AM
    Yes, iTunes sucks!!! Funny cause it's partly what got Apple where they are today with the iPod, but now it's just a big turn off. I still use it for some music playlists and syncing with my Z10 via Link, but that it. Never for videos, very annoying.

I love how the Z10 and playbook handle the import formats too!
    02-21-13 09:19 AM
    I found this post most useful for the pb.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-wi-fi-661022/
    02-21-13 09:19 AM
    This has been posted about numerous times, even by myself just a few days ago.

Do a search plz before you post thks.

Btw way connection at times will time out and windows won;t find the device, so be forwarned this is not 100% bullet proof as it can be a pain to transfer large amount of files.

If transfering a large amount of files, even 500mb can cause a connection loss.

So make sure to do it in small files portions.
    02-21-13 09:20 AM
    This has been posted about numerous times, even by myself just a few days ago.

Do a search plz before you post thks.
    That would be nice but we know it doesn't happen.
    02-21-13 09:23 AM
    Sorry to bother you but the reason I posted was I could not find anything with the correct path for the SD card.... just thought I'd share, I thought that's what the website was for. Sometimes it's easier to start a fresh thread with all the info. I don't have time to scan pages of posts.

And no, I've never had my mapped connection timeout. Always works perfect for me with multiple Gb transfers. It will crash occasionally if I have more than 2 different copying processes going at once.
    02-21-13 09:32 AM
    Sorry to bother you but the reason I posted was I could not find anything with the correct path for the SD card.... just thought I'd share, I thought that's what the website was for. Sometimes it's easier to start a fresh thread with all the info. I don't have time to scan pages of posts.

And no, I've never had my mapped connection timeout. Always works perfect for me with multiple Gb transfers. It will crash occasionally if I have more than 2 different copying processes going at once.
    Well its the same process for any mapping the drive for SDcard as you would for anything else.

As for not having time to look, it only takes 10 secs to a search.

As for timing out maybe i have a router wiif issue then as i tried yesterday to send 578mb of music from laptop to Z10 and it timeout around half way through it, so i then hooked up USB instead for that, but if i send smaller file portions its no issue.

This mapping is the same for Playbook and i have yet to have the playbook timeout a connection unless like you stated i sent 3-4 connections of files at one time.
    02-21-13 09:46 AM
    I had mine setup on the first day I got the Z10, it's an awesome feature!! And like Xamdam, I have suffered connection drops but nothing that a quick connection with a USB can't handle
    02-21-13 09:51 AM
    Definitely one of my favourite features of the PlayBook and the Z10. If your device is using the same workgroup (Storage and Access, Network Identification) as your computer then you can access it by simply referring to the Tablet Network Name or the Username on the Z10. This makes it very easy to dial into the device regardless of its IP address. This is a vastly underrated feature of these devices and I really hope it can be promoted.
    02-21-13 10:06 AM
    I thanked the OP because I had never seen this posted.

I am on here daily and this is the first time I've seen this method. Not doubting its been posted before, but nowhere that I readily saw it. So I am thankful that it was made as a new thread. Very helpful tip.

Thanks!
    mapsonburt, howards and Natedogg14 like this.
    02-21-13 10:37 AM
    a 10 sec search found this posted and the thread was made Feb 18th 2013 http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ws-mac-773627/

Now it did not state about how to map the network, but its a tutorial on how to Wifi Transfer files from Z10 to PC, plus the creater of this post made the same type of tutorial for the playbook the exact same day.

I really like this posters threads as it helped me and hundreds do this and wow only 3 days ago like i mentioned.

10 sec search (keywords used were) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, how to wifi Z10
    02-21-13 10:56 AM
    You don't need to reserve an ip, at least not with Windows. I called my z10 Mike -z10 and my PlayBook is called just PlayBook. To access the files, I just type \\Mike-z10 or \\playbook. You can still map the network drives the same way.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 11:03 AM
    Wow xamdam, who pissed in your corn flakes??? Good thing you're not a moderator, your screening process is pretty tough!

The thread that you linked to has zero replies because its kinda cryptic. Also, it does not mention mapping a network drive, nor does it mention the correct path to map the removable SD card. These were the points I tried to highlight in my post, give it a rest already.

@mikegcox, I had my playbook set up that way, but for some reason there were always delays trying to resolve the computer name. I found that locking the mapping IP was much faster.

a 10 sec search found this posted and the thread was made Feb 18th 2013 http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ws-mac-773627/

Now it did not state about how to map the network, but its a tutorial on how to Wifi Transfer files from Z10 to PC, plus the creater of this post made the same type of tutorial for the playbook the exact same day.

I really like this posters threads as it helped me and hundreds do this and wow only 3 days ago like i mentioned.

10 sec search (keywords used were) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, how to wifi Z10
    Biggles, howards, imz and 1 others like this.
    02-21-13 11:18 AM
    The really dumb part about this, is that you can't backup or restore over WiFi. Apple has had that for years on all of their devices. It's dumb NOT to have integrated it into BB link. Can't backup over Bluetooth either. Drive mapping over WiFi is as old as the hills...nothing new about this, except to BBRY.

My Mac devices and computers get backup up daily over WiFi to my Time Capsule. I can fully restore any of them over WiFi as well, but not my beloved Z10.

Don't get me wrong - I love the Z10, but now...what does it really offer over IOS and Android? The HUB, BBM? They all work with Activesync...like my Z10. They all have some sort of video chat - like the Z10...they're all touch screen, like the Z10. IOS has a corrective keyboard, like the Z10, maybe not as intuitive, but not far behind. They all use gestures, like the Z10 - and have been for years. Am I just a Z10 fanboy now, because it's a BlackBerry that works like an iPHONE or an Android device?

No one cares about BES10...it doesn't do anything for the users more than active sync...and some drive mapping over VPN's.
    02-21-13 11:40 AM
    I agree with what you are saying, but I think a lot of that stuff with come. BB10 is amazing for an OS fresh out of the womb. Yes they copied the good stuff from android and iphone, but would you have it any other way?

I'm sold on the keyboard, it's amazing how well it works and that's what I use all the time. My weighting on the keyboard is way above anything else. I love BBM and the new screen share, very cool with lots of potential (posted about that already and don't want to repeat ). HUB is pretty sweet too. Ya, I'm looking through rose coloured only talking about the positives, but I'm loving with my Z10 right now. Not really thinking about negatives, it will kill the buzz.

Backing up over Wifi be nice, but my important stuff is cloud (gmail & active sync). I'll trade not having to use iTunes sync over wifi backup any day.

Agreed, BES gains really nothing for the end user. VPN, corp app world and locking down policies
    02-21-13 12:19 PM
    I really like that feature, and think every phone should have it, if they already don't. The way Z10 is set up, the only mass storage device is the SD card, if the right option is enabled. Otherwise it is a network drive over USB or wifi, which allows simultaneous access from the phone and computer, whereas a mass storage device can only be mounted on one. This would be a great way for all those android manufacturers using exfat to stop paying license fees to microsoft, as the file system on the device can be anything, it doesn't need to be compatible with windows. But I have a "small" issue with it, when wifi access is enabled and my Z10 is on the same network as my windows 7 computer, i can see the Z10 in the Network section of Windows Explorer, and I can access it WITHOUT entering a password, even though i set up a password on the device when I enabled access using wifi. It bothers me a bit because I am not the only one using the local network. Anyone else have similar experience on windows 7.

P.S. My computer is connected to the router with a LAN cable, in case that matters.
    02-21-13 12:46 PM
    I'm afraid I don't agree with what FBA is saying. Unless I was missing something there was no way to map the phone as a network drive and even if there was a way, there were no common folders to access. Each app kept its own files and all I could do was wirelessly connect to a single app. Maybe if it was jailbroken? And I can't imagine backing up 32 or 64 gig over wifi. Maybe my router is old but the USB cable is much, much faster and still easy for the periodic backup. But I every day I wifi into Z10 to transfer documents, pictures and whatever. That, for me, is much more valuable. The iPhone had very limited capability and even that was dependent on the particular app. The Z10 is way ahead on this.

And, for the record, the Z10 keyboard is far superior to my iPhone keyboard. Multiple suggestions rather than one, suggestions right above your next letter instead of up in the text body, recognizes 3 languages at once, left-swipe for word erase, down-swipe to quickly change keyboards, long-press for capital letters. This is a step up in every way.

And the other gestures are leagues ahead and there's clearly enough difference because some complain that the learning curve is steep, though one could question their starting point. Thumping a home button and swiping along a row of icons is pretty crude, by today's standards, though it was quite acceptable 4 years ago. Even then when you tapped the icon, the app was essentially re-loaded each time. There's no doubt Apple will improve these things in the future and will borrow from the Z10 but for now it's behind. And then there's removable batteries, expandable memory and HDMI out.

Sorry to go on like this but after using an iPhone for four years I can tell you there are many, many advantages to the Z10. The iPhone also has its own advantages -no question.
    02-21-13 01:26 PM
    You don't need to reserve an ip, at least not with Windows. I called my z10 Mike -z10 and my PlayBook is called just PlayBook. To access the files, I just type \\Mike-z10 or \\playbook. You can still map the network drives the same way.
    Mine stopped working this way for some reason I am no longer able to type \\mike-z10 but \\myip works.

An alternate way of having a fixed ip is in your saved wifi network settings. You can set an ip manually to your wifi profile instead. I find this to be a unique feature. In Windows for example when you set a fixed IP it applies to the network adapter so when you move to another wifi network you cannot connect due to the fixed IP. With the BB QNX os, you can set a different fixed ip to every network you connect to...
    02-24-13 10:27 AM
    Thanks Natedogg14! I was struggling until I found your step through instruction.
    03-08-13 09:27 AM