OK,

Now that AT&T is launching the KEYone, I'm going to make the switch. But that means I'll have two perfect Z10s available as WiFi-only appliances around the house.

Please respond with your best ideas of how I can use SIM-less Z10s at home on my broadband WiFi network.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    08-24-17 01:16 PM
    Media players for Bluetooth speakers.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-24-17 01:29 PM
    I tried to think of something to do with mine.... other than keep it as a spare, not much else to do that I could come up with.

Looked to see if there were a way to make it a Wi-Fi Extender, but didn't see an option.
    It's not really compatible with other network devices without jumping through hoops, plus there isn't much storage in it.
    Taught about a TV Remote with Streaming features.... but it's compatibility with my TV and Cable provider and Streaming Services are poor to say the least.
    Check to see if anyone had gotten Google Voice to work.... but didn't see that as any option to use it as a VOIP phone.
    Maybe give them to the grand kids, but they want content and apps.
    My Droid got wet while out on the boat, so I was thinking next trip I might use my Z10 to save my new phone.... but then the new one is already water resistant and I bough a nice case that is also water proof...
    My wife had traded her iPhone 6 in for an iPhone 7+... only had to pay taxes and difference between the 7 and 7+. So maybe use it to get a better new phone than the company allowance? Z10 exchange value was $18 on Verizon.
    So with a phone with a superior screen and more compatible browser along with a tablet that has both too... I couldn't figure out anything to do with it.
    08-24-17 01:40 PM
    I'll know I could use them as mobile journal, notebook and task capture tools, synced with my Cloud Exchange acct., but without email or other distractions configured. It would be nice to keep my "creative" apps without the distractions of the communications apps.

I might set up one as a learning center and camera for my 2nd grader.

08-24-17 01:53 PM
    If you have a non smart TV in your house the Z10 could be a useful media/app device with a dock or HDMI cable.

If you like Blend, it could make a good email/cloud management device as well for your PC.
    08-24-17 02:09 PM
    I have seen th Z10 used with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and the micro HDMI to have the device work as a desktop. Could be a nice library of html's and email notes/attachments shown with the assistant for TTS. Or just a Password/Account keeper. With a different BBID yiu may be abke to use them as a Security Camera with BBM. Shares files, location, channels, lists etc.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-17 05:41 PM
    I have seen th Z10 used with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and the micro HDMI to have the device work as a desktop. Could be a nice library of html's and email notes/attachments shown with the assistant for TTS. Or just a Password/Account keeper. With a different BBID yiu may be abke to use them as a Security Camera with BBM. Shares files, location, channels, lists etc.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the great ideas. I love the security camera idea. I can create a Pet cam easily.

08-26-17 07:27 PM
    I use my Z10 as an alarm clock day to day.
    08-27-17 12:13 AM
    I use Apollo on mine to stream Pandora. It also works as an alarm clock. I hadn't thought about using it as a Blend gateway, but I will try that. There's also an app called PushProtect that allows you to set up one device and push pictures to PushBullet anytime the camera detects movement.
    08-28-17 08:41 PM
    My 8-year-old uses my Z10 as a micro-tablet.
    08-28-17 10:45 PM
    I still use mine on WiFi around the house for pretty much everything browsing the web, reading news, CB, other mobile nation news, social media (fb through browser), Blaq for Twitter, personal email- no business on this device, etc (mostly everything I do except make calls). The thing I realize the most when I use my Z10 is that I prefer it's form factor so much more than any other all touch device for one handed use. And I dig the build quality and materials. Even over my Z30 and S7 Edge (my Spigen rugged case helps on the S7). This reality has me seriously considering the upcoming Sony XZ1 Compact and loading the BlackBerry Hub and VKB to use along side my Cobalt Classic for my needs.

Z10 on 10.3.2
    TCM01 likes this.
    09-17-17 10:14 AM
    Well, the KRACK vulnerability has royally screwed my plans for using my old BB10 devices on WiFi indefinitely! I really am annoyed because I still really enjoy them and prefer using over my KEYone for email. *sigh*
    10-20-17 04:16 PM
    Well, the KRACK vulnerability has royally screwed my plans for using my old BB10 devices on WiFi indefinitely! I really am annoyed because I still really enjoy them and prefer using over my KEYone for email. *sigh*
    How hace you veen affected so far? and what are you afraid of?

Posted via CB10
    10-21-17 07:18 PM
    If I were to suffer a data breach for a known issue that affected client data, I would almost certainly lose my business, house, etc. It would be negligence.

And that's a fair result. My clients expect me to respect them and protect their sensitive information to the best of my ability.

Would you want to do business with a company that knowingly risked your data?

10-21-17 08:21 PM
    Ok but how has that affected your blackberry 10, do you understand how KRACK works. Sorry, I just can't see a home device being a target. Don't put information on your device. Or use an encrypted browser and vpn. Its really not hard to work around.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Leyra B10; 10-21-17 at 11:17 PM.
    10-21-17 11:06 PM
    Ok but how has that affected your blackberry 10, do you understand how KRACK works. Sorry, I just can't see a home device being a target. Don't put information on your device. Or use an encrypted browser and vpn. Its really not hard to work around.

Posted via CB10
    I see what you're saying, but I work from home, so, I want to use my BlackBerry 10 devices for home and work. But, I agree that, once my router is patched, I would be comfortable using my BB10 phones for personal stuff, even if they are never patched.

10-22-17 02:08 PM
    I see what you're saying, but I work from home, so, I want to use my BlackBerry 10 devices for home and work. But, I agree that, once my router is patched, I would be comfortable using my BB10 phones for personal stuff, even if they are never patched.

High entropy is always a good idea«»¤|•±¥€£¡¿ those are sure to add enough complexity to keep your password extremely difficult to aquire.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-17 05:06 AM
    BB10 stock browser is great for checking the certificates, as long as you use https you should be fine.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-17 05:23 AM