I have setup wifi file sharing many times on the Playbook and have never really had any issues. For some reason, I can't map or even connect to the Z10, using windows smb. I have tried turning it on and off on Z10 but without any luck. I can ping the Z10 from windows CMD but that is the best I can get. P.S. I followed the the standard directions for setting up playbook: How to Setup Wi-Fi on the Blackberry PlayBook - N4BB

Any help would be appreciated!!
    02-09-13 05:59 PM
    I've got the same problem. No issues connecting to my PlayBook but cannot connect to my Z10. I'm able to ping it from the command prompt without issues. However, when I try to connect using Windows Explorer, I get an error message saying "Windows cannot access \\192.168.2.19."

Has anyone else gotten this and resolved it?
    03-04-13 11:29 PM
    Have you installed BlackBerry Link? It should automatically configure everything and give you a networked drive to transfer files to.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-13 11:43 PM
    You don't need to install anything on your PC in order to wirelessly transfer files using Windows Explorer since it uses Samba for transfers. That said, I did install BlackBerry Link last night and it was not able to find my device.
    03-05-13 07:38 AM
    Settings >storage > access using wifi > network identification
    03-05-13 09:40 AM
    Settings >storage > access using wifi > network identification
    Same workgroup as my laptop and PlayBook. I left it as the default WORKGROUP.
    03-05-13 09:55 AM
    I've always found file sharing over wife very frustrating. It seems hit and miss whether or not a device will be discovered, and too often takes up too much of my time to get it working.

I finally went and got Cisco's Network Magic and all my troubles were over. Unfortunately it's no longer sold, but I think you can find comparable products out there.
    03-05-13 09:58 AM
    I've always found file sharing over wifi very frustrating. Windows seems hit and miss whether or not a device will be discovered, and too often takes up too much of my time to get it working.

I finally went and got Cisco's Network Magic and all my troubles were over. Unfortunately it's no longer sold, but I think you can find comparable products out there.
    03-05-13 09:59 AM
    Or run Linux, lol.
    03-05-13 10:00 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion but I need a solution that will work with my Windows 7 Pro laptop. Like I said, PlayBook WiFi file sharing works. The Z10 WiFi file sharing doesn't.
    03-05-13 10:22 AM
    Mine stopped working for a while and it seems to work just fine now. I have set a static IP on my phone, perhaps you can try that.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-13 10:28 AM
    Instead of your ip, try connecting using your device name
    Settings >about

I run windows occasionally as well, but pretty much only when I need to use IE, Link or DM.
    03-05-13 10:35 AM
    I finally got it to work. I mapped it on to laptop and since then, I haven't had any problems. For whatever reason, wifi file sharing seems to work better with the playbook though.
    03-05-13 11:10 AM
    Instead of your ip, try connecting using your device name
    Settings >about
    Did that and it also did not connect.

I finally got it to work. I mapped it on to laptop and since then, I haven't had any problems. For whatever reason, wifi file sharing seems to work better with the playbook though.
    Unfortunately, I'm unable to map it:
    Z10 Wifi file sharing - Can't connect - some help please-mapping.jpg

No issues pinging it though:
    Z10 Wifi file sharing - Can't connect - some help please-ping.jpg
    03-05-13 01:13 PM
    Did that and it also did not connect.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to map it:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mapping.JPG 
Views:	635 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	139329

No issues pinging it though:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PING.JPG 
Views:	634 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	139330
    Are you trying to connect via wifi or usb?
    At least on Linux, to connect via usb using samba, the wifi sharing toggle has to be on (in order to set the login credentials under network identification)

I agree, the PlayBook worked more flawlessly. I think that might have to do with the lack of the "File Sharing" option on the z10.
    But I did have random issues with the PlayBook and windows connecting via wifi too, which I think had to do with homegroup restrictions

Edit: if link won't detect your device you've probably got some issue with the drivers. Don't know why you'd need them, since you shouldn't need link.. but anyway, you can try switching from autodetect to connect to windows (in the storage settings) that might reinstall the drivers, if not there is a blog post around here somewhere about link not detecting your device.

For homegroups, mine would only work on one of my laptops if I selected workplace
    Last edited by nah.uhh; 03-05-13 at 06:25 PM.
    03-05-13 06:13 PM
    BlackBerry Link does detect my Z10 only using a USB cable and only when I have USB Mass Storage disabled. Without a USB cable, I cannot establish any connection between the Z10 and my Windows 7 Pro 64-bit laptop. I would really like to have access to storage via WiFi.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.
    03-05-13 09:00 PM
    Do a search on crackberry I made a tutorial how to access z10 by wifi on pc or laptop.

I have no issues.

You need to hit the windows key and type file:\\192.xxx.x.x where the 192 xxx is your ip of the device.

Or file://

This goes for playbook too.

Sometimes u may have to do it a few times, but it works.

As for bblink when u check off wifi access the z10 will eventually connect automatically, but it will disconnect every so many minutes automatically.

I run windows 7 premium.

Now as for mapping playbook and z10 I tried and thru worked, but then neither connected after next day, so I don't map, just connect like I mentioned above.

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    03-05-13 09:45 PM
    Also make sure windows 7 is set to detect your home network as home rather than public.

There is a built in ping utility on the Z10 try pinging your computer with it . Go to network connections, wifi, advanced then select ping from the drop down

Posted via CB10
    03-05-13 10:48 PM
    Also make sure windows 7 is set to detect your home network as home rather than public.

There is a built in ping utility on the Z10 try pinging your computer with it . Go to network connections, wifi, advanced then select ping from the drop down

Posted via CB10
    Mine wouldn't work even on the "Home" homegroup, I had to use workplace
    Only on one pc tho.. don't know why/what the difference was
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    03-05-13 11:00 PM
    Mine wouldn't work even on the "Home" homegroup, I had to use workplace
    Only on one pc tho.. don't know why/what the difference was
    I changed my Network Location to a Work network and it now connects. Thanks for the tip!

Odd that it would not work when it was set to a Home network. I will try changing it back to a Home network to see if it reverts back to being problematic.

UPDATE:
    I changed it back to Home and it stayed connected. I turned off WiFi on my device and turned it back on and I can no longer connect. I changed the Network location to Work and I still have the problem. So now I'm wondering if changing it to a Work network actually helped because it's no longer working.
    Last edited by sk8er_tor; 03-06-13 at 09:02 AM.
    03-06-13 08:17 AM
    I have the exact same problem. Can connect to wifi, ping, but no mapping.
    Changing network location to Work didn't help. sk8er_tor, did you reboot (phone or pc) at any point?

EDIT: Do I need to get this working in order to sideload, or is USB connection sufficient?
    03-06-13 08:48 AM
    I changed my Network Location to a Work network and it now connects. Thanks for the tip!

Odd that it would not work when it was set to a Home network. I will try changing it back to a Home network to see if it reverts back to being problematic.

UPDATE:
    I changed it back to Home and it stayed connected. I turned off WiFi on my device and turned it back on and I can no longer connect. I changed the Network location to Work and I still have the problem. So now I'm wondering if changing it to a Work network actually helped because it's no longer working.
    New ip?
    03-06-13 08:54 AM
    New ip?
    No, same IP. It just stopped working when I turned the WiFi off and then back on (which I had to do because one of my apps, Touch Messenger [an Android port from BlackBerry World, not side loaded] does not work over WiFi).

I changed my Network location back to Home and after trying to connect several times times, it now connected. It seems to only work every so often. It's very unreliable in this state.... or maybe you have to wait a few minutes after you turn on WiFi before it can connect?

I have the exact same problem. Can connect to wifi, ping, but no mapping.
    Changing network location to Work didn't help. sk8er_tor, did you reboot (phone or pc) at any point?

EDIT: Do I need to get this working in order to sideload, or is USB connection sufficient?
    No, I did not reboot my phone. For sideloading, you can do it via USB cable.
    03-06-13 09:01 AM
    Rebooting the phone should be the first thing you try
    Type myver on your z10
    Should output like this - Z10STL100-3/10.0.10.672
    What os are you running?

And side loading via usb is my preference

Again, I do experience the same issue with my PlayBook + windows, my brothers I phone wouldn't connect consistently either. Only on one computer.
    I've NEVER had an issue connecting from Linux, so the circumstances are confusing. Can't figure out if the problem is windows, the z10, windows+z10 or a buggy z10 os.
    03-06-13 09:13 AM
    I'm going to answer these too, (and I've rebooted many times trying to solve this)
    Not sure where to type myver, but the phone is STL-100-3 running 10.0.10.672

I'm starting to think it is a driver issue.

I can probably live without wifi sharing, I just want to make sure my phone isn't "defective" - I only have a couple of days left to exchange it, but I don't want to go through that rigamarole if it's some Windows 7 setting buried deep deep down. :P
    03-06-13 09:29 AM
34 12