Lol for juvenile teenage girls? Agreed... had one for five days and It was torture... irrelevant apps that I don't use and not a dedicated communication device

Posted via Crack-friggin-berry Z10
    11-25-13 03:32 AM
    no e mails are not pushed unless your e mail account is active sync or you're on a BES10 server

Wrong or partially correct at most. See below for the facts.

thats because when you send it also checks your messages, or else there is a lag between when you get your messages. and not a few seconds its a few miutes delay and more then one come at once. i perfer the way legacy decives like my 9900 handled my e mail but there is not way the BIS server will push the messages to my Z10 like my 9900 did.

if i'm doing something wrong then please tell me how i can my my e mail act like it did on my 9900

Not correct, see below.

Sergeant n b dot- my emails are server type, like roadrunner.com. My old storm used to instantly push them rather than fetch like every 15min

Ron: glad to see you back. I think you will really enjoy this device.

It does have some distinct differences from the classic Blackberries. In most cases, those differences aren't a big deal unless you really really really need it to work exactly like a 5-year-old phone. If so, there are still Blackberry models like that.

But in general, you will find that many features like web browsing, audio/video streaming/playback, app installation/removal, games and various other aspects are vastly better than what the legacy devices provided.

Email is significantly different, honestly it's more like Android/iPhone than the traditional Blackberry due to the different UI, however they have retained some classic Blackberry email features such as "delete all prior", "mark all prior read", etc.

For people using a large enterprise email system, Blackberries traditionally offered "push" email connected to those "push" enterprise email systems. For regular consumers, what the legacy devices did which was unique at the time was act as a middleman between older email server technology ("POP") and the devices, and provide "pseudo push" by basically constantly polling those servers (anywhere from 3-15 min polling cycle depending on your email traffic) and then sending the email to the devices more quickly than was practical to poll those old servers directly from the mobile device.

The downside to that was that it re-formatted your messages and sometimes you couldn't open them properly, it limited the attachment sizes and so on. The new devices do not have those limitations.

In order to get "push" email notifications, your email server needs to use a modern email protocol, and these days the 2 main standards for that are called "IMAP" and Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync or "EAS".

Most large email providers offer that sort of service, however some internet providers (especially some home broadband providers) do not yet. If you are using RoadRunner (which is now part of Time Warner Cable), from what I gather they are still using old POP3 servers. You will not get "push" email from that type of server, it will receive messages based on the polling interval you set in your phone.

However, there are workarounds to this. One of the most common is to have your provider forward your messages to an email provider that does provide IMAP or EAS, such as Outlook.com/Hotmail.com, Gmail.com, Fastmail.fm, etc. Then you setup the account on the device pointing to that system, and it will give you email notifications under good signal conditions as quickly as your ISP forwards them.

Another workaround which might work even better for you, is some email providers have a feature where you can pull email from an external provider into that providers mailbox. Outlook.com and Gmail offer this. Basically you would enter your RoadRunner server info into your account, and it will pull mail from those systems periodically and deliver it into your new mailbox along with your email from that provider.

POP3 was developed over 25 years ago, basically an eternity in the technological world. My recommendation would be to eventually migrate to a provider offering a more modern server architecture, as it will provide various benefits including push delivery and email syncing so you can operate/view/check email from multiple devices which will all see the same content and you don't have to mess around with bcc'ing or forwarding messages to yourself to have copies on other devices and so on.

Here's a post I did about the subject in general if you are interested:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...yncing-777774/

And here's a shortlist of companies that provide IMAP email services. (Companies offering EAS email services are all over the place, they tend to be fee-for-service rather than advertising-supported services. I can give you a list of recommendations of those as well if you like.)

1. Google/Gmail
    2. Outlook.com/Hotmail.com (Both EAS and IMAP now)
    3. Fastmail.fm
    4. Various broadband internet providers
    5. Tuffmail (tuffmail.com)
    6. LuxSci (luxsci.com)
    7. Fusemail (https://www.fusemail.com/cloud-products/email-hosting/)
    8. VFEmail (vfemail.net)

Have fun with your new device and I hope this info is helpful for you.
    11-25-13 03:58 AM
    thats because when you send it also checks your messages, or else there is a lag between when you get your messages. and not a few seconds its a few miutes delay and more then one come at once. i perfer the way legacy decives like my 9900 handled my e mail but there is not way the BIS server will push the messages to my Z10 like my 9900 did.

if i'm doing something wrong then please tell me how i can my my e mail act like it did on my 9900
    Wrong. Try to send email from your computer. It arrives almost instantly

Posted via Ultracool Z10... Haters gonna hate!
    11-25-13 06:01 AM
    Glad to see people coming back to this amazing and now competitive platform. The app gap is kind of getting closed, the experience is excellent. I am truly happy on my way back too. Let's enjoy! You all have a nice week!
    11-25-13 08:09 AM
    Can't believe you had a iPhone in the first place

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 08:49 AM
    Can't believe you had a iPhone in the first place

Posted via CB10
    Why not just get the Z30?

sent from my galaxy note 3
    11-25-13 08:50 AM
    26000+ posts? Wow!
    Someone has too much time on their hands

sent from my galaxy note 3
    11-25-13 08:52 AM
    Actually, sinless is half correct. It doesn't push all emails like the old-school BB's because it no longer uses BIS. But for email services that support active sync, those will be pushed to the phone. So it's not all email services. I recommend Outlook. It uses activesync and I get emails instantly with that. :-)
    exactly this is what i was trying to say, if your e mail supports active sync or your e mail client actually pushes e mails in another way it'll push ASAP to your phone if its a pop3 like mine then you're SOL
    11-25-13 09:08 AM
    Indeed, iPhone looks like a teenager's phone. I absolutely don't like it
    some people say the front of the z10 looks like the back of an iphone (but with a screen of course)!! i hope then that u were referring to the os and not the physical look, cos it would seem there is abit of irony in ur post
    11-25-13 10:33 AM
    Thanks for the tons of info.!

Cool, I'll try 10.2 and if it won't load maybe the leak then

Great info on email, my business site has IMAP so can set it that way, that's the one I really want the fastest response from.

My phone will be here Wednesday so will have the 4 day weekend to play with it
    11-25-13 10:56 AM
    Welcome back to the dark (black?) side...a warning about the 1055 leak, the battery on my Z wont last more than 3 hours... because I just can't put the phone down...bbm, music, finding apps on 1mobile, twitter....my other half start to complain...d**m BlackBerry..why I have to have so much fun with h this phone?

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 11:00 AM
    Welcome back to the dark (black?) side...a warning about the 1055 leak, the battery on my Z wont last more than 3 hours... because I just can't put the phone down...bbm, music, finding apps on 1mobile, twitter....my other half start to complain...d**m BlackBerry..why I have to have so much fun with h this phone?

Posted via CB10
    3 hour battery life?? You're having some hardcore actions with your Z10? ;p

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 11:11 AM
    3 hour battery life?? You're having some hardcore actions with your Z10? ;p

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, that too... hardcore actions

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 11:30 AM
    Welcome back to Crackberry!
    11-25-13 12:00 PM
    [snip]
    can't browse or get any data while on phone since it uses 3G for talk.... Can't wait for the BB to arrive!
    Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought CDMA (what Verizon uses vs GSM for AT&T/T-mobile) doesn't allow simultaneous data & voice. Doesn't matter what phone you're using.
    11-25-13 01:59 PM
    Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought CDMA (what Verizon uses vs GSM for AT&T/T-mobile) doesn't allow simultaneous data & voice. Doesn't matter what phone you're using.

No longer an issue if your device supports their 4G LTE network and can use both the LTE and CDMA radios simultaneously.

All the BlackBerry 10 models can do that, NONE of the iPhones can, including all the brand new models.
    qmendiv likes this.
    11-25-13 02:06 PM
    Does anyone know if AT&T will come on board with the Z10. I just left Samsung and now have a Q10 and just love it. But my wife likes the bigger screen and is also with AT&T...
    11-25-13 02:34 PM
    Does anyone know if AT&T will come on board with the Z10. I just left Samsung and now have a Q10 and just love it. But my wife likes the bigger screen and is also with AT&T...
    they already have the z10
    11-25-13 05:53 PM
    they already have the z10
    Yes, since March or so.

However a person could be excused for not noticing this, as AT&T basically puts them in a dark back corner in their stores, if at all.
    11-25-13 06:06 PM
    hi, i gone do the same thing you do, in the end of the week i will have my z10.
    11-26-13 07:00 AM
    Do you mean Z30?

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 09:42 AM
    Hey question,
    The BB message thing says it does video messaginging, is that like a video call like FaceTime?
    Also, looks like they have a BB messaging app for android, my wife has android does that mean I can FaceTime-like video call her on her wifi android pad from my phone?
    11-26-13 11:57 AM
    Hey question,
    The BB message thing says it does video messaginging, is that like a video call like FaceTime?

Yes. BBM on BlackBerry 10 supports both audio and video chat. Also "screen sharing".

Also, looks like they have a BB messaging app for android, my wife has android does that mean I can FaceTime-like video call her on her wifi android pad from my phone?

No audio/video chat on the non BlackBerry versions at this time but it is planned for a future release.
    11-26-13 02:58 PM
    Yes. BBM on BlackBerry 10 supports both audio and video chat. Also "screen sharing".

Bummer but cool when it is :-) thanks!

No audio/video chat on the non BlackBerry versions at this time but it is planned for a future release.
    11-26-13 07:18 PM
    Thanks Omnitech for the email explanation! I've read so much "information" about this subject that it's hard to know who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't. All I know, is that I've had no discernable drop off in email performance with my Z10 from my BBOS devices. Oftentimes I'll get an email before an app notification! I read all this "the sky is falling" type reaction to BIS service no longer being available for BB10 devices. You are saying that we are actually better served without it? Now that I think about it, I haven't had a truncated email on my Z10 and I can't think of anything I haven't been able to open, but thought maybe it was due to the better capabilities of the device..

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 07:27 PM
116 ... 2345