On the O2 website they state that most phone manufacturers provide 2 year warranty. I know this always applied to all the Nokias I had from them, during the period of the contract they were always repaired FOC.

I got to wondering if the Z10 had the same 2 year warranty period.

Another nail in the iPhones coffin, for me, was that O2 expressly state that iPhones only have a 1 year manufacturers warranty.

"What if my iPhone is faulty?

Our returns and repairs policy applies to iPhones, just the same as any other phone we sell. The only difference is that all iPhones only come with a 1 year limited manufacturer�s warranty. Most other manufacturers offer 2 year limited warranties on their phones. "
    03-27-13 03:53 PM
    In actual fact the 1 year warranty limitation is utter crap. Under EU law you are pretty much entitled to a two year warranty. The UK sale of goods act goes much further than this and gives you additional protection for up to 6 years, assuming you can prove the fault is from manufacture and not misuse. Most of the phone companies will fix your phone anyway under contract, but I guess there's no surprise the iPhone is special and is exempt from all EU legislation.

The law:
    So how does the EU rule change things?

The EU directive in question is 1999/44/EC....... but the important bit is this: 'a two-year guarantee applies for the sale of all consumer goods everywhere in the EU. In some countries, this may be more, and some manufacturers also choose to offer a longer warranty period.'

As with UK law, a seller is not bound by the guarantee 'if the (fault) has its origin in materials supplied by the consumer'. But the EU rule does not require the buyer to show the fault is inherent in the product and not down to their actions.

The EU rule also says buyers need to report a problem within two months of discovering it if they want to be covered under the rule.
    slparry likes this.
    03-27-13 04:15 PM
    I know it's 1 year manufacturer's warranty for most devices nowadays (unless you pay extra for extended warranty if your carrier/store you purchased from has this as an option). I'm in Canada and Rogers is 1 year manufacturer's warranty.
    03-27-13 04:17 PM
    I asked the question on the O2 forum, and they responded that it was indeed covered by 2 years warranty
    03-27-13 04:24 PM
    It is quite shameful that Apple attempted to deceive customers about this. Fortunately the EU does occasionally stand up for consumer rights.
    03-27-13 04:51 PM