Due to an irresistible offer from my cable provider who is trying to promote cellular service I spent yesterday transferring a few phone lines from Z10s to new iPhone SEs. My main motivation in doing this was purely financial. The total cost for home broadband Internet service, celluar service on a shared data plan, and purchasing new five phones for the next five years will be < $5,000, compared to the >$25,000+ I've spent over the past five years for home Internet, phones and cell service.

Apparently, for $20,000, I'm willing to experiment with the iPhone. I also prefer Apple over Android for its privacy policies, consumer-friendly security practices and unbeatable long-term patching and support.

After spending most of yesterday and this morning setting them all up, this is my initial opinion:

1) Setting up the phones was a breeze. No issues. I got all my essentials (MS Office, Slack, Signal, MySudo, Standard Notes, VPN, etc.) up and running with data synced in < 1 hour.
    2) While the phone feels too large at 4.7 inches, and will be larger when I add the case, which is required to protect this slippery, fragile device, it's also too small for comfortable viewing. Too much graphical design and poor rendering of text make it clear that Apple designers prefer large screens.
    3) Functionally, I can do everything I need to on the phone, but it requires significant effort and eye strain out of the box. I'll have to create a lot of scripting and shortcut configuration to make this thing work as a daily driver.
    4) The virtual keyboard is even worse than I remember. It's just awful.
    5) There is no way that this will replace my Z10 for daily use until it stops working. My Z10 runs circles around the iPhone for email, task management, calendar, and other high volume functions.

So, while the iPhone will be replacing my Z10 as my phone for apps, it will likely see even less use than my KEYone did (which I used < 1 hour a day).

SUMMARY: This iPhone SE is completely satisfactory and does everything I expected it to do, which is 1) save me money; 2) last 5+ years; 3) run modern apps; and 4) keep me connected to the world. However, if anything, it just makes it clear how much better my Z10 still is for my daily work than any Android or iPhone on the market.
    ppeters914 and rarsen like this.
    05-14-20 07:21 AM
    As long as your happy.
    05-14-20 02:40 PM
    Due to an irresistible offer from my cable provider who is trying to promote cellular service I spent yesterday transferring a few phone lines from Z10s to new iPhone SEs. My main motivation in doing this was purely financial. The total cost for home broadband Internet service, celluar service on a shared data plan, and purchasing new five phones for the next five years will be < $5,000, compared to the >$25,000+ I've spent over the past five years for home Internet, phones and cell service.

Apparently, for $20,000, I'm willing to experiment with the iPhone. I also prefer Apple over Android for its privacy policies, consumer-friendly security practices and unbeatable long-term patching and support.

After spending most of yesterday and this morning setting them all up, this is my initial opinion:

1) Setting up the phones was a breeze. No issues. I got all my essentials (MS Office, Slack, Signal, MySudo, Standard Notes, VPN, etc.) up and running with data synced in < 1 hour.
    2) While the phone feels too large at 4.7 inches, and will be larger when I add the case, which is required to protect this slippery, fragile device, it's also too small for comfortable viewing. Too much graphical design and poor rendering of text make it clear that Apple designers prefer large screens.
    3) Functionally, I can do everything I need to on the phone, but it requires significant effort and eye strain out of the box. I'll have to create a lot of scripting and shortcut configuration to make this thing work as a daily driver.
    4) The virtual keyboard is even worse than I remember. It's just awful.
    5) There is no way that this will replace my Z10 for daily use until it stops working. My Z10 runs circles around the iPhone for email, task management, calendar, and other high volume functions.

So, while the iPhone will be replacing my Z10 as my phone for apps, it will likely see even less use than my KEYone did (which I used < 1 hour a day).

SUMMARY: This iPhone SE is completely satisfactory and does everything I expected it to do, which is 1) save me money; 2) last 5+ years; 3) run modern apps; and 4) keep me connected to the world. However, if anything, it just makes it clear how much better my Z10 still is for my daily work than any Android or iPhone on the market.
    Install the Gboard....it is pretty good, at least for me, since I use 3 languages always....
    05-14-20 04:18 PM
    As long as your happy.
    I'm afraid that being happy post BB10 will require limiting phone time to <30 minutes a day! But thankfully, newer laptops make that viable.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    05-14-20 04:26 PM
    Install the Gboard....it is pretty good, at least for me, since I use 3 languages always....
    Thanks. It's on my list of things to try. My first goal is to learn to use the native stuff really well so I have a baseline to measure the value of adding apps.

Last edited by BergerKing; 05-15-20 at 04:50 AM.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    05-14-20 04:27 PM
    I jumped ship to an iPhone 11 pro a couple of months ago and have to admit I prefer the VKB on the iPhone to the Z10, and I never thought I’d say that, then again I also prefer PKB devices.

The one thing which frustrated me was getting text message, call logs and contacts transferred over, I used an intermediate Android phone in the end but it was a very frustrating experience.

The main reason I switched was because of the problems transferring data from my wife’s Z10 to her new iPhone 11 and I thought it would be better to do it at the same time having now gained the experience to make the switch.

I must admit it’s nice to have simple things on the phone now like banking apps!

No regrets, sorry guys, I still love BB10 but needed to move on.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-16-20 10:27 AM
    Thanks. It's on my list of things to try. My first goal is to learn to use the native stuff really well so I have a baseline to measure the value of adding apps.

Perhaps you should have considered a Pixel 3a with the BlackBerry VKB, better battery life and the HUB? (Still supported very well)

I have considered Apple at times but nothing yet to get me to move off of my BE KeyOne and Samsung S9. To go Apple would prevent me from having anything BlackBerry related on my devices and I like the BlackBerry software.

Thanks for the post I was looking out for it from you knowing you made the switch.
    05-22-20 05:14 PM
    Perhaps you should have considered a Pixel 3a with the BlackBerry VKB, better battery life and the HUB? (Still supported very well)

I have considered Apple at times but nothing yet to get me to move off of my BE KeyOne and Samsung S9. To go Apple would prevent me from having anything BlackBerry related on my devices and I like the BlackBerry software.

Thanks for the post I was looking out for it from you knowing you made the switch.
    Come on you know you want to FaceTime with your kids and wife....

Posted via CB10
    05-22-20 05:39 PM
    Come on you know you want to FaceTime with your kids and wife....

Posted via CB10
    Ha! My wife is one that completely refuses Apple. She's a fan of Samsung since her S7 Edge and now S9. One of her favorite devices was her Z30. The HUB and BlackBerry VKB with swiping are items she cannot do without. (We run our business together and the volume of emails and various accounts makes the HUB a great resource)

As you know my daughter has an XR so my wife and I mess around with it in ensuring all is cool with our young teenager. Neither of us has been that compelled to switch.

My wife and son, if we upgraded (and we won't until the S30 or other midrange) would probably prefer a larger size such as the A71 and 4500 battery.

And Android as I have noted elsewhere just plays nicer with Windows 10 and we are all in there with 8 machines between office, home office and 2 laptops.

*I did ask my son this AM (he turns 12 in a month) who REALLY likes his iPad if he wanted to trade in his S9 this weekend for the SE straight across. He researched the SE and said "I would prefer the S20 so I am fine with my Samsung dad) 😯 (*BTW he knows he is *** out and that I would not fork out 500 to upgrade a perfectly good device) The trade straight across I would do if he wanted. 👍😎
    05-22-20 06:00 PM

I haven't really switched. My primary is still the Z10. The iPhone is just for apps, not for email and other core MS Exchange functions. I like the iPhone more than I did my KEYone, so long as I don't have to type too much. But, honestly, I keep phones for 5+ years, so I went with the only company likely to patch and support for that long a period.

05-24-20 09:22 PM
    Ha! My wife is one that completely refuses Apple. She's a fan of Samsung since her S7 Edge and now S9. One of her favorite devices was her Z30. The HUB and BlackBerry VKB with swiping are items she cannot do without. (We run our business together and the volume of emails and various accounts makes the HUB a great resource)

As you know my daughter has an XR so my wife and I mess around with it in ensuring all is cool with our young teenager. Neither of us has been that compelled to switch.

My wife and son, if we upgraded (and we won't until the S30 or other midrange) would probably prefer a larger size such as the A71 and 4500 battery.

And Android as I have noted elsewhere just plays nicer with Windows 10 and we are all in there with 8 machines between office, home office and 2 laptops.

*I did ask my son this AM (he turns 12 in a month) who REALLY likes his iPad if he wanted to trade in his S9 this weekend for the SE straight across. He researched the SE and said "I would prefer the S20 so I am fine with my Samsung dad) 😯 (*BTW he knows he is *** out and that I would not fork out 500 to upgrade a perfectly good device) The trade straight across I would do if he wanted. 👍😎
    My wife left Apple for the Z10 in 2015 and is very hesitant to switch back. She knows that having a couple of key apps would help her, but just lives the lack of distractions and hassles that she has on her BB10 phone.

05-24-20 09:24 PM