This up graded installed Amazon App as default - you cannot delete it and guess what folks, check out its permissions ; it is granted access to ALL files on ALL access points tied to the Z10. And you cannot disable it.

See screen capture ; the options are disabled to user input I cannot turn them off!

Why would any of us be willing to share our files with Amazon? How about for those who don't even use Amazon? How much money did BlackBerry get for selling out its clients? This us an OUTRAGE after all these years - it's time to move on from BlackBerry, I just got my reason finally.

Regrettable indeed. Development team, how could you!!!

If someone knows how to turn this Amazon App permission off please do share!!

ZB10
    Attachment 368200
    lift likes this.
    08-24-15 01:11 AM
    Well, I wouldn't call it a betrayal, but I am simply not using the Amazon apps because of these privacy concerns.
    Afaik, there is no way to edit the permissions or delete the apps.
    Just install a new OS and do not launch them.
    08-24-15 01:25 AM
    You can't edit them because the Amazon app store itself is an Android app and you can't easily edit the permissions of Android apps.

But, there is another Android app that can do that for you called app ops.

Posted via a touchscreen, excuse the typoos.
    Last edited by axllebeer; 08-24-15 at 10:20 AM.
    08-24-15 04:37 AM
    Maxx power is right. You can reinstall the OS and just never open it. Or if you open it click Cancel when it asks for permissions. I believe that this should keep it from any potential snooping

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 06:53 AM
    If you do choose to us the app, there's an option to disable the collecting of app usage data (in-app setting). And you can disable the app to run in the background (app permissions). If you don't want it to do anything, follow the earlier advice and reload the OS and never open the app.
    08-24-15 07:02 AM
    This up graded installed Amazon App as default - you cannot delete it and guess what folks, check out its permissions ; it is granted access to ALL files on ALL access points tied to the Z10. And you cannot disable it.

See screen capture ; the options are disabled to user input I cannot turn them off!

Why would any of us be willing to share our files with Amazon? How about for those who don't even use Amazon? How much money did BlackBerry get for selling out its clients? This us an OUTRAGE after all these years - it's time to move on from BlackBerry, I just got my reason finally.

Regrettable indeed. Development team, how could you!!!

If someone knows how to turn this Amazon App permission off please do share!!

ZB10
    Attachment 368200
    App permissions are not that granular. Appstore obviously needs file access to save your downloaded apks. Without that permission, it would not function. There is no conspiracy - nothing to see here.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2339
    PHughes likes this.
    08-24-15 07:04 AM
    Thanks for your responses. I'm out of here; this week's task is to look for a new phone not sure what I'm going to do I might go back to the trusty Bold 9790 - IF they don't have default apps without user edit control.

You see, this is a data-rape; whether you use the app or not is irrelevant, the key here is users have unknowingly granted irreversible access to their personal data on the OS level. Now it make sense why the first few days the battery usage was very high. Just know that all your files from your doctors, attorneys, and loved ones are all open for the amusement of nosey analysts somewhere.

That current leadership at the helm is probably the worst thing that ever happened to the Blackberry populace. Instead of hegemony through innovation like what Blackberry stood for in the legacy, they sold out the most precious aspect of the product - lock tight security. That is betrayal! Makes me sick.

ZB10
    Last edited by BlackBerry USA; 08-24-15 at 07:46 AM.
    08-24-15 07:19 AM
    App permissions are not that granular. Appstore obviously needs file access to save your downloaded apks. Without that permission, it would not function. There is no conspiracy - nothing to see here.

I'm a pessimistic optimist, I want to believe the simple truths. I understand your view and I know apps need access to save themselves but the lack of ability to turn it off entirely disrupts your thesis.

Look at it in another light, if you live in an extremely high crime area, like we live in now in our digital world, would you sleep well at night knowing all your doors and windows are wide open and your car keys are in the ignition?? Some probably would because they've been told that it's okay; most others wouldn't!

Again I understand about apps need to save on device etc. But making this default is a mistake. I regret this terrible misjudgment by Blackberry; I know they are desperate to make money but this is wrong business decision.

ZB10
    08-24-15 07:42 AM
    Thanks for your responses. I'm out of here; this week's task is to look for a new phone not sure what I'm going to do I might go back to the trusty Bold 9790 - IF they don't have default apps without user edit control.

You see, this is a data-rape; whether you use the app or not is irrelevant, the key here is users have unknowingly granted irreversible access to their personal data on the OS level. Now it make sense why the first few days the battery usage was very high. Just know that all your files from your doctors, attorneys, and loved ones are all open for the amusement of nosey analysts somewhere.

That current leadership at the helm is probably the worst thing that ever happened to the Blackberry populace. Instead of hegemony through innovation like what Blackberry stood for in the legacy, they sold out the most precious aspect of the product - lock tight security. That is betrayal! Makes me sick.

ZB10
    The heck you talking about ? if you never accepted the permissions when you first opened the app then the app has no access.
    There is no secret here. The difference is that BlackBerry actually let's you know what permissions the app needs.

You sound like you don't really understand technology. Your old bold is no different, no smartphone is any different in fact.
    08-24-15 07:51 AM
    I'm a pessimistic optimist, I want to believe the simple truths. I understand your view and I know apps need access to save themselves but the lack of ability to turn it off entirely disrupts your thesis.

Look at it in another light, if you live in an extremely high crime area, like we live in now in our digital world, would you sleep well at night knowing all your doors and windows are wide open and your car keys are in the ignition?? Some probably would because they've been told that it's okay; most others wouldn't!

Again I understand about apps need to save on device etc. But making this default is a mistake. I regret this terrible misjudgment by Blackberry; I know they are desperate to make money but this is wrong business decision.

ZB10
    It's an official BlackBerry appstore, vetted by BlackBerry - no less than BlackBerry World itself! It's hardly like leaving your keys in the car in the inner city. You can't access BlackBerry World permissions either.

Log out of the app if you don't like it. Done.

Last edited by conite; 08-24-15 at 08:20 AM.
    08-24-15 08:10 AM
    Access device monitor, click on Amazon Aapstore and click close.

Posted via CB10
    BerryRipe and Y. Z. like this.
    08-24-15 08:57 AM

Log out of the app if you don't like it. Done.

Or don't log on at all.

Posted via a touchscreen, excuse the typoos.
    08-24-15 09:27 AM
    This is a great app for controlling most of the permissions on other android apps.

AppOps:

https://app.box.com/s/tpvqkjjlbg8gzpmzp4r1hflxnj1lv02y

Z10: v 3.2.556 - blackberry betrayal-img_20150824_103404.png

Posted from my Q10 via the power of "Q"
    08-24-15 09:41 AM
    Access device monitor, click on Amazon Aapstore and click close.

Posted via CB10
    That's what I do but I wish it would stay closed because I go back to device monitor a few hours later and hit close all over again. I actually do end up using the apps but it's rare...I also wish I could just delete them.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 10:09 AM
    I've posted this before but here it is again..

Use parental controls to disable amazon app store. Then disable parental controls. Upon disabling parental control, the permissions prompt for amazon app store will appear, decline them and the app will remain in a "pending install" phase and never actually become installed until you open amazon app store and accept the permissions.

This works for any android app, simply decline the permissions and they won't complete installation.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    08-24-15 10:25 AM
    Betrayal. Seriously. I'm tired of everyone b*tching every time something is changed in the OS.

Forgive my typos, I don't look when I type
    08-24-15 10:45 AM
    I've posted this before but here it is again..

Use parental controls to disable amazon app store. Then disable parental controls. Upon disabling parental control, the permissions prompt for amazon app store will appear, decline them and the app will remain in a "pending install" phase and never actually become installed until you open amazon app store and accept the permissions.

This works for any android app, simply decline the permissions and they won't complete installation.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    Thank you. This works. Pls pardon my tirade.

ZB10
    Y. Z. likes this.
    08-24-15 10:59 AM
    The heck you talking about ? if you never accepted the permissions when you first opened the app then the app has no access.
    There is no secret here. The difference is that BlackBerry actually let's you know what permissions the app needs.

You sound like you don't really understand technology. Your old bold is no different, no smartphone is any different in fact.
    Please, try to refrain from general abuse.

BlackBerry apps are different, you can refuse various permissions case-by-case and the app may still work.

With Android apps, don't accept all permissions, app won't run, isn't that the case?

All Hail Thorsten. Mother and Father of my Beloved Z10.
    08-24-15 02:50 PM
    With Android apps, don't accept all permissions, app won't run, isn't that the case?

Not true. I disable location permission on many android apps for instance.

08-24-15 02:54 PM
    Not true. I disable location permission on many android apps for instance.

Fair enough. But your level of control is far lower, is that fair? And, the point I was challenging was that there is no real difference between Android and BlackBerry apps in the ability to change permissions. Is that true?

08-24-15 03:14 PM
    Fair enough. But your level of control is far lower, is that fair? And, the point I was challenging was that there is no real difference between Android and BlackBerry apps in the ability to change permissions. Is that true?

Normally you are correct. With Android apps it's all or nothing UNLESS you use a permissions manager app. And yes, native apps are typically coded to better deal with varying granting of permissions.

08-24-15 03:18 PM
    Gaww~d...
    Hyperbolic, much?
    08-26-15 03:09 AM

It's the demand for microphone, location data, camera, contacts, etc. There is no reason for an app store to demand that. Amazon is either very sloppy or a privacy invader of the most egregious kind. Or a bit of both.

Posted on my Passport to the future
    08-31-15 09:52 AM
    Turn on parental controls, disable app store, done disabled!! Ftw!

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 09:58 AM

Development team, how could you!!!

Attachment 368200
    This was laugh out loud funny!

You transformed into a 10 year old girl for that statement
    08-31-15 08:13 PM
34 12