• A Little Better than my old Physical Keyboard

18 17.65%
  • The Same as my old Physical Keyboard

11 10.78%
  • A Little Worse than my old Physical Keyboard

30 29.41%
  • A Lot Worse than my old Physical Keyboard

11 10.78%
    well I have to say I am still having trouble adjusting after several days now. I really miss that BB button for marking messages unread and marking them as saved. I still find it hard fixing mistakes and I still have a lot of them. also anyone know how you put a space in when the space bar shows you a word on it (I am thinking that it is wanting to auto correct something it thinks needs fixing) but I don't want the word it is showing. I don't know how to get rid of the word it puts it in there for me and it is really irritating me.
    The word that you typed should appear above the Space Bar. Swipe it in and the Space Bar will return.
    03-12-13 11:21 AM
    I wasn't really quick when I first started typing on my Z10, but now I can type without even looking, truly amazing. I used to have a Bold 9790 and thought its keyboard was the best one out there until I bought my Z10. I make more mistakes when I type on my 9790 now! And nothing, I said nothing( not even a computer's keyboard) is able to beat the Z10 in one handed typing!

Posted via CB10
    03-12-13 11:59 AM
    I'm a huge fan of the keyboard. Not just the ease with which it responds, or the fact that it learns as you type, or the fact that flicking words up into a message without actually typing anything is FREAKING AWESOME, but also the fact that the gestures that are present pretty much everywhere else in BB10 are also present here.

Swiping from right to left to delete a word, swiping down to bring up special characters, the two finger swipe to bring up the keyboard, etc. All of those things (and more) are what makes this an amazing keyboard. I can type fast on this, and I can also type fast on the 9900. What made my final decision for me to keep the Z10, at least as far as the keyboard is concerned, are all the things that you can do with the keyboard that you WON'T be able to do with the physical keyboard of the Q10. I'm sure there will be things I'll miss about it, and I'll want to play with it and see what it feels like, but the Z10 is where I will be staying.

JB
    03-12-13 12:11 PM
    I cannot type while riding my horse and he is missing it.

Posted via CB10
    This was by far the funniest post I've read in a LONG time. Thank you, because I really needed a laugh.
    03-12-13 07:05 PM
    Love the z10 keyboard for all it's features but miss the physical keyboard from my torch. The trade off for me is the larger screen so not willing to go to a q10. If they come out with a portrait slider like torch with bb10 i will be all over it.
    03-12-13 07:15 PM
    Initially was awkward but after a few days, I'm flick typing my life away.
    love the keyboard on my Zed 10, I even can type faster with one thumb
    03-12-13 07:44 PM
    I've had the Z10 for almost two weeks now. When an email arrives on both my 9900 and the Z10... I tend to choose the 9900 if I want to write a long reply.

My preference for entering text is to type accurately, completely, without looking at the keyboard or thinking about the process of typing itself. So basically I am trying to replicate the mental process of touchtyping on a regular KB. This seems at odds with the touchscreen implementation. While I agree it is the best touchscreen KB out of all the devices I've tried, I just can't bang out a complete paragraph quickly. I don't like to use autocorrect or autocomplete because those are just cheats in my mind to achieving a fast WPM.

I don't think anything can surpass the physical feedback from a real keyboard. Touchtyping becomes second nature because of all the subconscious cues your thumb gets by rolling across the keys to know exactly where your keypress should be without having to look down at the KB. You can't rest and glide your thumbs across a touchscreen so you're always hovering your thumbs above the screen which gets tiring. There is no tactile cue to tell you where your thumb should land so a portion of brain is spent verifying the correct position before each keypress. This all adds up to a slower typing experience for me.

Maybe one day my proprioception will be good enough so that the angle of my thumbs and tension of all the thenar muscles will let me predict where it will land without exception, but that day is not here yet.
    The muscle memory is the concern for me, based on my touchscreen-only experiment with my 9810 for the last few weeks. Typing was decently fast and accurate, even with the primitive autocorrect, but mentally fatiguing. For Torch users, both the Z10 and Q10 would be a "downgrade" with no physical keyboard and a smaller screen, respectively. Of course this pales in comparison to the upgrade of having BB10.
    03-12-13 08:10 PM
    I cannot type while riding my horse and he is missing it.

Posted via CB10
    This isn't entirely a joke...I only get away with typing a lot of emails in the morning on a very bumpy subway because I have a physical qwerty.
    03-12-13 08:15 PM
    I'm off of a 9900, and to be quite Frank the keyboard for this device is da Bomb - Diggity. I use that expression to show you how awesome the predictive type is on the device. The unit quickly figured out that I use that expression and now offers it to me after only typing da-, Love the phone love the keyboard. Welcome back Waterloo.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-13 08:30 PM
    I'm one of the few who miss having a physical keyboard. I'm frustrated that auto correct constantly changes words that I type correctly. For example, one that really irks me is that "Your" keeps changing to "Tour".

I love this phone regardless, and I won't be getting the Q10. Hopefully the keyboard gets better for me!
    03-12-13 08:30 PM
    I use my fingernails to type (Torch) as opposed to the pads of my fingers as I have long nails ... on the Z10 keyboard, do nails work or does it have to be the pad of your finger??? Important question to me!!!
    03-14-13 09:53 AM
    I use my fingernails to type (Torch) as opposed to the pads of my fingers as I have long nails ... on the Z10 keyboard, do nails work or does it have to be the pad of your finger??? Important question to me!!!
    I'd suspect it requires skin contact because the screen is capacitive. However, there is a Q10 demo video where the touch works even though the guy is wearing gloves. The beauty about the Z10 launch is that demo units are readily available, so you should be able to go experiment with a real working unit.

On another note, I'm leaning toward the Z10 again. My carrier has a double minutes/data promo, to match their competitors, that probably only lasts till April 1. It would actually allow me to get another 50 minutes plus Canadian long distance for $5 less than what I'm paying now; the same thing would cost $10 more without the promo. I'm not sure I can wait for the Q10...maybe I should get the Z10, then swap with my wife if a slider comes out
    03-20-13 01:29 AM
    It is the greatest keyboard ever. Much better than android or iphone. I agree that it learns as you use it.
    I hope they change the way you can switch language cause it takes a few seconds.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-13 01:46 AM
    My tagline for the Z10:

Type blindly, spell correctly. The new Blackberry Z10.
    deltact likes this.
    03-20-13 01:49 AM
    It is the greatest keyboard ever. Much better than android or iphone. I agree that it learns as you use it.
    I hope they change the way you can switch language cause it takes a few seconds.

Posted via CB10
    From the launch event demo, it seems that there is no need to consciously switch languages in the same way that you need to do in OS7. Vivek started off in English, then went to French and German without missing a beat. I tested this on the demo units here but they are set to a single language and the settings menu is password locked (yep, I exited the demo app when the store staff was not looking). The multi-language support would be perfect for me, being in a bilingual environment.

Can anyone confirm that this works as shown at launch?
    03-20-13 11:59 AM
65 123