12-03-13 09:13 AM
38 12
tools
    I've been using an EXTRA battery since the Motorola Big gray brick days. One of the main reasons I stuck with Blackberry for all these years, it provides me with a sense of security even when I don't need it. For me swapping out batteries is simple, easy and efficient, not sure what I'm going to do now that it seems that Blackberry is following the iphone's lead by NOT being able to swap power packs
    11-25-13 10:02 AM
    So for example, the backup batter charger BlackBerry offers for the z30 won't charge up fully a drained z30?

Posted via CB10
    The capacity of that external charger is 2100mah. That is less than the capacity of the battery in the z10. So it simply can't charge a z30 to full capacity.

I presume they sell this external charger just to give you a bit more time. But there are 3rd party microusb external charger packs.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 12:11 PM
    I battery swap with the charging bundle. Always have a battery ready when I may need it.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    11-25-13 12:34 PM
    Remember to turn your phone off when swapping batteries gang, there is a possibility you can junk the phone just pulling it out and I don't think the little clips on the battery cover are meant to switch a lot.

QNX is different than BBOS 7 it's best to have the phone shut off before you swap, so for me the plug in works best I try not to ever take my battery out of my Z 10, just tell yourself it's like a Z30 can't remove that one at all.

My 2 cents

Posted from my ZED 30 jacked up on 10.2.1.1055 thank you very much!!
    11-25-13 12:40 PM
    Remember to turn your phone off when swapping batteries gang, there is a possibility you can junk the phone just pulling it out and I don't think the little clips on the battery cover are meant to switch a lot.

QNX is different than BBOS 7 it's best to have the phone shut off before you swap, so for me the plug in works best I try not to ever take my battery out of my Z 10, just tell yourself it's like a Z30 can't remove that one at all.

My 2 cents

Posted from my ZED 30 jacked up on 10.2.1.1055 thank you very much!!
    BlackBerry tech support says you can yank the battery any old time, but I agree with you. Do an orderly shutdown. On the Z10, it is probably under 5 seconds.

Having designed some chips for use in battery operated equipment, you have to assume the power can be removed and applied at any time. But why tempt fate?

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 08:12 PM
    You can move on to an external battery pack. It's simple to use and it works with many devices. Get one for all.
    I've been using an RAVPower 10400mAh. I choose the large capacity because I can use it to charge my tablet. It's cheap on Amazon.
    Since you are not doing a battery swap on a z30, there is no reason to get a BlackBerry branded charger, well other than they might have tested it.

Chargers and battery packs are kind of dumb devices. Capabilities are determined by sensing the value of a resistor on the data lines. They should be universal in that respect. Safety is another story. Some of the offline chargers are poorly designed. You may recall the women in China that was electrocuted by a so-called Apple iPhone charger. Actually Apple does a decent job on their chargers based on tear down a you can find on the Internet. I don't recall the final outcome, but I suspect it was a fake Apple charger.

I can say for the Z10, the charger bundle is very high quality. You show it to someone and they say "nice". But that is the case. The bundle isn't very showy, but designed using "form follows function."

If you are getting a non-branded external battery, I would suggest reading the New Egg reviews.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 03:22 AM
    Tip for z10 battery swappers :

You can remove the back cover...plug the phone in the charger... and then swap batteries....
    Way too quick and no need of shutdown

I have tried removing battery on my z10 while plugged in and it detects the battery as soon as its put in..

I have not swapped battery as I don't have a spare

But the trick should work... on a z10

Posted via the awesome keyboard on Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055 using CB10 App
    11-26-13 04:43 AM
    I have the bundle and I like having the option to do either or. I prefer to swap, but if I'm in the middle of something or waiting on a call or an email I plug in.

Posted via CB10
    Spencerdl likes this.
    11-26-13 07:58 AM
    Hey,
    Does your Z10 read the correct battery percentage with the extended 4500mAh battery? I have the 3800mAh mugen pro and I used my phone heavily and it reached 0%. At that point it didn't even turn off It kept on going for a few more hours before I gave up and realize I couldn't discharge this beast.
    My question is the following : is there a settle time for the software to adapt to the new battery or will it always be like this? Because it's annoying to not know precisely how much time you'll have left and getting the low batt yellow led straining your eyes all day.

Attachment 223800

Posted via CB10
    I've only had a couple of times when swapping the battery from the original to my 4500Mah where all of the sudden the battery % would drop considerably to 60% from 100 during the reboot process.... I am not sure if it's a glitch or simply a big battery drain to reboot the phone... but after I plug it back in to the (PlayBook) charger for about 20 minutes it goes back to 100% and I go about my day with normal battery drain. So far the lowest I've been after full day use was 25% from 7am to 9pm when I got home from work and plugged in....im very happy with this $20 purchase!

Posted via CB10
    jon4400 likes this.
    12-02-13 09:14 PM
    The capacity of that external charger is 2100mah. That is less than the capacity of the battery in the z10. So it simply can't charge a z30 to full capacity.

I presume they sell this external charger just to give you a bit more time. But there are 3rd party microusb external charger packs.

Posted via CB10
    The capacity of the Z10 is 1800 mAh. Although because the capacity of the Z30 battery is 2880 mAh, the 2100 external battery charger wouldn't even charge it fully anyways.
    12-02-13 10:13 PM
    I talk on my Z10 about 6000 hrs a month. I just plug the battery pack in about 4 every afternoon when my battery level drops below 20%. That works very well for me. I don't like removing the battery, it's a hassle and I don't have to wait for the phone to reboot. Good luck

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 10:27 PM
    Only just saw this thread, but I thought I'd clear up some things. The lithium cell has a nominal (normal) voltage of 3.7V, and the capacity means how long it can supply current. Other batteries suffer from the Peukert effect, but lithium doesn't. This means that if you have 1800mAh, you can draw 1.8Amps (1800mA) for an hour, or 900mA for 2 hours etc.

When charging, you need to supply current to the battery. To do this, the charging voltage must be higher than the battery voltage. Current flows from the higher to the lower voltage. The current is limited by either the battery, or in most cases the charger. Now you can charge one battery from another so long as the charging voltage is higher. You can convert a lower voltage into a higher one easily, however the current/capacity decreases by the same amount (well more actually because it isn't perfect). If you have a 1000mAh battery at 5V, and convert it to 10V, you would only have 500mAh (minus any losses). So a charging battery which is also a 3.7V lithium cell would be converted to 4.2V (the charging voltage) which would decrease the capacity by about 12%. So a 2100mAh charging battery wouldn't get any more than about 1850mAh. In the real world it would be even less due to losses in the conversion.

So, Charging one battery from another is less efficient than swapping batteries.

Hope this helps.
    12-02-13 10:58 PM
    The only time I have low battery issues is out golfing and using Skydroid for distances. I can just about make 18 holes on a full charge provided I don't do any video recording. Now, I can't shut down or pull the battery before the game is over or I lose all info, so plugging in the battery pack to extend the uptime is the only option and very much welcome.
    Last edited by Boight; 12-03-13 at 09:31 AM.
    12-03-13 09:13 AM
38 12